Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Tony Tone posted:

Why is there no shoplifting megathread in cspam for tips and tricks

I have been getting exceedingly better at just not swiping poo poo in the self-checkout area but I have been almost entirely reliant on how sleepy/distracted the supervisor is and how drunk I am

Does anyone know how sensitive the weight sensors are on that thing? Like could you just swap the barcode on poo poo that more or less weighs the same?

tips & tricks
- be white
- leave no living witnesses
- be gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Nix Panicus posted:

What kind of things do you do with chicken skin? Bones are straightforward, you save up a couple and make stock, but what do you do with skin?

generally, i use food for eating

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

The Oldest Man posted:

It was actually like $900 BoM iirc not even including labor, shipping, etc. The squeezy plate was like a hand-turned aluminum billet piece or something absurd like that? They were taking a massive loss on every single one of those fuckers.

It was also beautiful, like the perfect embodiment of bag-squeezing technological excess. The Singer Porsche of a squeezing a bag full of juice.

Smh. Y'all have forgotten the name of the legendary juicero...
https://twitter.com/IvankaTrump/status/715648874346520576?s=19

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tony Tone posted:

I have been getting exceedingly better at just not swiping poo poo in the self-checkout area but I have been almost entirely reliant on how sleepy/distracted the supervisor is and how drunk I am

Does anyone know how sensitive the weight sensors are on that thing? Like could you just swap the barcode on poo poo that more or less weighs the same?

being able to swiftly attenuate the pressure you slide an item across the laser at like Indy staring at the idol seems like a good skill to cultivate in 2023

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Just render the skin in a pan with a little water added. You'll yield some delicious fried chicken skin (cover it in salt, garlic powder, chili or any other spice mix) and a couple tbsp of liquid chicken fat. Fry up some aromatics in the fat before adding it to your soup that you made with the rest of the chicken.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Gorman Thomas posted:

Just render the skin in a pan with a little water added. You'll yield some delicious fried chicken skin (cover it in salt, garlic powder, chili or any other spice mix) and a couple tbsp of liquid chicken fat. Fry up some aromatics in the fat before adding it to your soup that you made with the rest of the chicken.

:yeah: don't make stock out of the skins

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Tony Tone posted:

at some point there was a thread for it but some gbs/qcs dorks called the internet cops on it

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

at some point there was a thread for it but some gbs/qcs dorks called the internet cops on it

tbf those threads start reaching their logical conclusion pretty quickly

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
shoplifting ftw

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

need to get that kala namak salt. had a coworkers tofu egg salad that used it and it kicked rear end

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

i say swears online posted:

does anyone buy those jugs full of pre-scrambled eggs? are they cheaper than the real thing?

The cost is only your dignity, so ymmv.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

so has anyone done any research into why eggs are so expensive? is it supply related?

it just sounds like companies realized that they could charge more money and people would still buy them?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Mr. Sharps posted:

need to get that kala namak salt. had a coworkers tofu egg salad that used it and it kicked rear end

its good, if you have an indian store nearby id recommend getting some chaat masala

if nothing else it adds some oumph to raw fruits and veggies

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
birds got sick birds got killed birds stopped existing eggs stop being laid eggs became pricey

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

it just sounds like companies realized that they could charge more money and people would still buy them?

it's this

you know how everytime a refinery shuts down in like louisana or kentucky or some poo poo and gas price spikes in california? same thing.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Brrrmph posted:

wasn’t that the bit? market it as a luxury lifestyle brand and get wealthy suburbanites hooked?

They probably should have made a profit on any of it if that was their master plan

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

A Bakers Cousin posted:

birds got sick birds got killed birds stopped existing eggs stop being laid eggs became pricey

yeah there was a big culling, it's over now. eggs have crashed by about a third in the last two weeks. if your store hasn't yet, they're just gouging

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

yeah there was a big culling, it's over now. eggs have crashed by about a third in the last two weeks. if your store hasn't yet, they're just gouging

It's eggregious eggstortion

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

they're eggceptable now

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

the prices are hard to beat

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Gorman Thomas posted:

This sounds great.

I only started buying chicken thighs last year after a random lady shoved a package in my face and told me $1.25/lb was a good sale price and I should stock up. Considering chicken breast was something like $4/lb at the time I took her advice. I've been throwing the skin away and making curry with the meat and soup with the bones, but next time I'll try this out.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Nix Panicus posted:

Also in chicken news, chicken thighs are $1.29/lb here, with skinless boneless chicken thighs costing a whopping $3.50/lb. Boneless skinless chicken breasts are down to $2.00/lb. Ground beef is an absurd $3.99/lb for 85%. I stocked up on chicken and got enough ground beef for a nice bolognese, but chili and hamburgers are going to have to wait until beef prices come down a bit (so never, lol)

where are you at? even at Target, which is pretty cheap here in Minnesota without going to Aldi, ground chuck is like $5.49/lb and chicken breasts $4-8/lb depending on brand and pack size.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
hell, a lb of butter is close to $5. everything is loving expensive

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Massachusetts. I shop at a local chain called Market Basket that generally has pretty good prices on its store brand

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i haven't been to a target in years because it's consistently the most expensive place around that isn't whole foods. it also feels really...plastic? iunno the aesthetic of buying food at target bothers me

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

i haven't been to a target in years because it's consistently the most expensive place around that isn't whole foods. it also feels really...plastic? iunno the aesthetic of buying food at target bothers me

yeah buying food at target is waste of $$$. it's super expensive and just Mega-Corporate branded kelloggs/nestle junk marked up $$

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

their store brands are decent

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Nix Panicus posted:

Massachusetts. I shop at a local chain called Market Basket that generally has pretty good prices on its store brand

market basket was pretty good when i lived in ma

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm a communist until I think about HEB and then the brand loyalty kicks in

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Brrrmph posted:

hell, a lb of butter is close to $5. everything is loving expensive

Lard can be far cheaper and is a suitable substitute for butter. Morrel lard is $2 a pound. I honestly prefer lard for things like pie crust because it melts at a higher temperature.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

space brain - steal food to eat

galaxy brain - if you need money swipe the essential oils (you’ll notice that some are $4.99 and some are $18.99 but they’re in the same tiny jar?) and then sell them on eBay a single trip pays for a weeks worth of groceries

universe brain - invest $10 of your first outing in some lye, and a few cartons of goats milk. use the essential oils with those ingredients to make designer soap, petition a bored goon with ps skills to make a wrapper design, and sell the soaps exclusively to the grocery store you got the oils from

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Lard can be far cheaper and is a suitable substitute for butter. Morrel lard is $2 a pound. I honestly prefer lard for things like pie crust because it melts at a higher temperature.

manteca gently caress yeah

makes a good roux for white gravy

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I'm a communist until I think about HEB and then the brand loyalty kicks in

HE Butt lol

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I have several pints of lard thanks to this past fall's hog share it's insane I do not need this much lard

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

stah mahket chage caahd

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
12 pack of coke zero $8.49

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I haven't bought a twelve-pack in my adult years so I always think "shouldn't they be two for five dollars"

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The Saucer Hovers posted:

stah mahket chage caahd

I make the occasional stop at the Star Market by North Station on the way home from Boston and I've never been particularly impressed by their prices or selection. Its convenient and they stay open late, but thats about it.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I've never used lard in my entire adult life, am I missing out on a cooking secret?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

I've never used lard in my entire adult life, am I missing out on a cooking secret?

it's applicable where butter or shortening would be but cheaper and worse for you. if you've ever eaten tamales you've eaten a bucket of lard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Nix Panicus posted:

yes