Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I know what to say. Grow up.

Since my statement was "I don't know what to say if you don't find this thing funny," yes, this works. Probably not in the way you intended though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

General Dog posted:

Younger, ultra-mellow Carlin was much better than old, angry Carlin.

:agreed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMH7YmSjO8Q
Carlin was at his best when he was showing the rest of the country how a city kid of their times behaved

TwoStepBoog posted:

I've tried listening to David Cross a few times. His thing seems to be telling stories with painfully long setups that have very disappointing payoffs.

Also echoing Bill Burr love. His interviews on Conan are also pretty great since it's just Conan giving him a topic to rant about and letting him run with it.

David Cross' least impressive work is his stand-up imo. he's a great comic actor but he just doesn't have the chutzpah to hold the stage down on his own.

I don't think I can ride the Bill Burr train with y'all though. He's pretty funny but he's a bit to much of the "I'm a simple kinda guys guy" type. whatever chance i had to love him was shot through the heart when I saw F is for family.
his podcast has some dope highlights tho. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2i9RvBOSZ4

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
David Cross does have one good bit about hanging out with the band Harlow and answering a telephone. That one annihilated me the first time I heard it. Like I was on the ground gasping for breath I had been laughing so hard and for so long.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

joke my joke you jokeman

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like that John Mulaney guy

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

I like that John Mulaney guy
he's an excellent comic, and it's a shame that he set his career back with his horrendous sitcom

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
One of the worst stand-up I've ever seen has to be Aziz Ansari, I really can't stand that little fucker.

He's one of those comedians that think the louder you yell = more funny, and half the time he just humble brags about chilling with famous people.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

a bone to pick posted:

One of the worst stand-up I've ever seen has to be Aziz Ansari, I really can't stand that little fucker.

He's one of those comedians that think the louder you yell = more funny, and half the time he just humble brags about chilling with famous people.

He's also a comedian that never seems to say anything funny when he isn't doing his set, which is instantly a let down. He's like that asian dude who won the first Comedy Central Last Comic Standing.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Jellidelic posted:

they're super cool and important and good and if you aren't familliar with bill hicks or his work then it's already too late for you
but you should watch them anyway.

let's have thread where we gush about how great he is :allears:.

bill hicks is neither good nor important and he definitely isnt funny.

here is my list of funniest people

1. harland williams

2. robert smigel

3. buddy hacket

4. groucho marx

5. australia dick-biting spider

986785. Bill Hicks

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

a bone to pick posted:

lol i like the voice he does

you know the one :hehe:

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

ElGroucho posted:

He's also a comedian that never seems to say anything funny when he isn't doing his set, which is instantly a let down. He's like that asian dude who won the first Comedy Central Last Comic Standing.

Dat Phan. I hate that guy so much I remember his name.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Dat Phan. I hate that guy so much I remember his name.

Holy poo poo, he was goddamn terrible

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

a bone to pick posted:

i once saw him at a well-known restaurant in Manhattan and it looked like he was bitching to the person up front that he wanted a seat even though it was full. he didn't get one

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

get that OUT of my face posted:

he's an excellent comic, and it's a shame that he set his career back with his horrendous sitcom
He was recently on Pete Holmes' podcast and he said he thought for sure his comedy career was done forever since it sucked so much.
Decent listen if you're a John Mulaney fan. (That is, if you can stand Pete Holmes' laugh.)

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

get that OUT of my face posted:

i once saw him at a well-known restaurant in Manhattan and it looked like he was bitching to the person up front that he wanted a seat even though it was full. he didn't get one

He seems like the type of guy that acts like he's super famous but will never achieve that level.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

TwoStepBoog posted:

He was recently on Pete Holmes' podcast and he said he thought for sure his comedy career was done forever since it sucked so much.
Decent listen if you're a John Mulaney fan. (That is, if you can stand Pete Holmes' laugh.)
i'm glad it isn't. he's doing a limited run show on Broadway with Nick Kroll, i hear it's hilarious but i'm sure tickets are hard to get and expensive

i listen to Gilbert Gottfried's podcast and he laughs a lot on it (watch the video someone linked where he was on with Norm MacDonald for examples). i'm sure i can survive Pete Holmes's

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Is this just the comedy thread now.
I'm just going to post this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WtBujEncAg

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

every opinion deserves respect and consideration so it's convenient that azis being worthless garbage is fact
everybody i've met that likes him is either an idiot or a short dude

Snooze Cruise posted:

Is this just the comedy thread now.

seems so

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Lotta people in advertising ITT

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

I like long form improv. Improv4humans is a good podcast and the wild horses are a good improv group.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Roylicious posted:

Lotta people in advertising ITT
brb gotta kill myself. it is Hicks's will

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't want to pile on l, but I can barely make it through 10 minutes of aziz

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

alt-right GBS can't stand a Comedian of Color. Shocked.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I like blue comedians. You know, when they are actually funny.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Russell Peters, funniest Indian man on the planet.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Richard Ayoade is my favorite comedian vOv

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

someone already established that Hannibal Buress owns

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

JiveHonky posted:

bill hicks is neither good nor important and he definitely isnt funny.

here is my list of funniest people

1. harland williams

2. robert smigel

3. buddy hacket

4. groucho marx

5. australia dick-biting spider

986785. Bill Hicks

Did you catch Australia Dick-biting Spider's set at Meltdown? Totally insane.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Err umm let's pretend I planned this trap...

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Reginald D. Hunter is also a great comedian. His stories about his father are great, and the first time I'd ever heard of fart sniffers.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Snooze Cruise posted:

I like long form improv. Improv4humans is a good podcast and the wild horses are a good improv group.

A cool billionaire or wizard should do something magical and make Improv4humans the next Serial. Even with cantankerous music-lovin Matty B as a host, they produce an hour of legitimately (quantifiably) good improv every single week

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

I'm not sure exactly what it is that's appealing about Aziz. I definitely laugh when I watch his specials, though. Maybe being close to him in age makes his stuff land well for me where it might not for other people. He was definitely one of the first comics I saw on TV that felt like a peer. Aziz Ansari and the show Workaholics were the first bits of comedy that really felt like they were made by people my age. I got all the references firsthand, the subject matter and language felt more like mine than stuff that had come before, etc.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Aziz is pretty much the *i could be friends with this guy* comedian.

Like his appeal is just seeming to be approachable I think or something? I don't enjoy his stand up either but it isn't awful or anything.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Bill Burr has a some funny jokes and knows his craft, but at heart he's doing really easy poo poo pandering to middle class white 20-30s men. He's like Adam Carolla if Adam Carolla knew how to do stand-up.

What annoys me about Bill Burr is that he uses his persona as a schmuck who does not know any better to get away with some material which he should not get away with. When Louis CK does that, he wins you over by being surprisingly clever, and you feel impressed. Meanwhile, Burr comes across as so incredibly stupid sometimes, and as an audience member it feels like you're expected to sink to his level. Only people who want to are going to do so. There's no artistry there. I also can't accept that someone who's managed to get his comedic skills (if not his material) down to such a degree could really be that ignorant, which makes me think he knows he's pandering and don't want to risk his audience, or he's got some major issues he's not wanting to face.

Go listen to his interview in the Comedians Comedian podcast. It was embarrassing. He's constantly disrespecting the process, and outright acting like a bully whenever he was challenged in the slightest. He came off as insecure and dim.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Burr was good on WTF, from what I remember. Maron's generally pretty good at getting people to forget their public/professional/stage persona and Burr was no exception.
http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/episode_668_-_bill_burr_2015_in_review

Also, him spending 12 minutes hurling abuse at a rowdy crowd in Philidelphia is one of my favorite things on Youtube:

cracked.com posted:

He was in a comedy concert called Opie and Anthony's Traveling Virus in Philadelphia. After watching the two comedians before him get booed into the ground, he was already pissed off. So when he started his act to the same booing, he just dropped everything and tore into the audience. For his entire 11-minute set.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S4nSzE4N-o

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
bill hicks is dead and don rickles is still alive, proof of god imo

death by computer
Sep 6, 2010

When I was in high school, I was given an assignment to write and recite a speech about someone I admired. Being the cringy teenage dweeb I was, I decided to speak about Bill Hicks. I swear to God, I stopped admiring him at the exact midpoint of that speech.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Maron's generally pretty good at getting people to forget their public/professional/stage persona

If only he could make me forget his netflix special.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
god struck down hicks for being a filthy america-hating drugman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Burr was good on WTF, from what I remember. Maron's generally pretty good at getting people to forget their public/professional/stage persona and Burr was no exception.
http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/episode_668_-_bill_burr_2015_in_review

Also, him spending 12 minutes hurling abuse at a rowdy crowd in Philidelphia is one of my favorite things on Youtube:

Lmao, I swear every time Bill is in philly he spends half the time talking poo poo about the city and the people.

• Locked thread