Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
guide your city to a social/arts revolution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
what idiot decided it was a good idea to turn all the unseen tiles into a monochromatic mess

combined with the terrible ui it seems the design philosophy behind Civ 6 was to make information as inconveniently obscured as possible, to penalize the player and give the brain dead AI a fighting chance

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Colonization was the best Civ game imo

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Smash it Smash hit posted:

guide your city to a social/arts revolution

I thought I'm sneaky/smart by trying to win with a dominant culture in Civ 5. But the AI never liked Coca-Cola buddhism and attacked. Lame.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

sorry boyz i only play real games like CoD or, when i gotta snap some ropes double dutch my boi, i play leisure suit larry

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
What's with all the hate for BE? I thought it was fun :(

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

T.S. Smelliot posted:

What's with all the hate for BE? I thought it was fun :(

People didn't like it because it was a bad game.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

is this less of a thing in later civs?

Yes, because you can see it's the city that's attacking your unit, really, and not the Spearman himself.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

Yes, because you can see it's the city that's attacking your unit, really, and not the Spearman himself.

Teddy Roosevelt: Ow! My unit!

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

civilization sucks and we should go back to living in the forest among the woodland creatures and eating squirrels and berries for sustenance.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I like civ 6 better than I liked 5 when it first came out (5 is still better with its expansions), but the interface is so aggressively bad it's hard to recommend it to anyone who isn't a big enough fan that they already bought it. It's hard to actually mouse over the side notifications, usually it just gives you the tool tip for the tile underneath, trying to skip the animation in diplomacy to just get to the prompt has even odds of skipping the whole thing and defaulting to the "go gently caress yourself" response, and the civilopedia is completely useless even if it contains the answer to a question you have good luck finding it with the search (good luck clicking the right place to search on your first try too).

Just a few of my complaints, but I like the districts and getting rid of empire wide happiness, the eureka system is neat too I just wish they'd polished everything more

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dial-a-Dog posted:

I like civ 6 better than I liked 5 when it first came out (5 is still better with its expansions), but the interface is so aggressively bad it's hard to recommend it to anyone who isn't a big enough fan that they already bought it. It's hard to actually mouse over the side notifications, usually it just gives you the tool tip for the tile underneath, trying to skip the animation in diplomacy to just get to the prompt has even odds of skipping the whole thing and defaulting to the "go gently caress yourself" response, and the civilopedia is completely useless even if it contains the answer to a question you have good luck finding it with the search (good luck clicking the right place to search on your first try too).

Just a few of my complaints, but I like the districts and getting rid of empire wide happiness, the eureka system is neat too I just wish they'd polished everything more

Sounds like a game best picked up a first sale/expansion.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

after playing civ6 a while I think I prefer civ5+expansions

the UI is too busy and I preferred the cleanness of the art deco theme

you can't rename cities or units or anything

strategic view sucks

I though districts would be cool but they actually seem like kind of a pain so far

gently caress "amenities"

you can't buy buildings with money anymore?

maybe all or most of this poo poo can be fixed with mods tho. where's the SDK already

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Feranon posted:

the UI is too busy and I preferred the cleanness of the art deco theme

you can't rename cities or units or anything

I though districts would be cool but they actually seem like kind of a pain so far

gently caress "amenities"

you can't buy buildings with money anymore?

Agreed I liked aesthetic of 5 more. 6 is a lot less, I don't know, "majestic" maybe.

You actually can rename units I think they just need to level up first, why they took away city banging l naming I can't even begin to guess

I like districts overall but they're a pain in that 1) you can't buy them, I think only the Aztecs have a way to rush them, and 2) they tied wonders to certain district/terrain combinations so lol if you didn't build your industrial district a hex away from the coast 2000 years ago and you want to build a Venetian arsenal because there's no way to change a district position

Amenities are annoying I agree but they'd probably be less of an obtuse pain in the rear end if you could hover over the amenities number and see a breakdown of it instead of going through the detailed city menu to figure out why your people hate you

You can still buy buildings, it's just that most of them are locked under districts, which you can't buy, so good luck jump-starting late game cities

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I at least want to play to the point where Sean Bean dies.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

MrChupon posted:

All Civ games should do combat like Civ 1. Stack to your hearts content, but if your stack loses, goodbye to all 12 units in it. And none of this bullshit where combat is simulated over hundreds of rounds of dice rolls to smooth out the bell curve to a point where it basically has zero unpredictability. It should be a single dice roll so you actually have to plan for the eventuality that your unit might lose the combat, ala Axis and Allies or whatever.

Basically Civ is at its best when its a digital boardgame and not some simulation for babies who can't manage randomness and whine when they lose a 1 in 16 shot like they've never rolled a 1 on a D20 before.

You clearly haven't played board games any time in the past 15 years. poo poo mechanics belong to the past.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

what are the odds of this happening? Asking as a non player

Low but the AI could buy tons of spear men every turn. They were basically free to build. At such low cost they could wear down your expensive modern amor.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dial-a-Dog posted:

there's some UI stuff that needs a lot of work yeah

the spies were baffling to me; every time it ended a mission it pulled up the 'which city do you want to go to now?' thing and I'm just like 'none stay there' but when I clicked the spy mission button on the right it just removed the city screen... turns out you have to click the spy mission button twice to get the right screen to appear but it took me a while to realize that.

Why is there even a turn limit on missions that are passive like counterspy and listening post btw just let me take them off it - I don't need to tell my capital city spy to keep counterspying every 20-30 turns guys. She's just gonna sit in that industrial zone until the game ends.

half the time I try to click on a city, it selects the unit instead. idk where the gently caress to actually click; I click the name bar or the base of the tile and it still grabs the garrisoned unit sometimes. the bombard button cities have when enemies are in range suffer from this too. I still don't know if there is a more detailed city screen telling me where all the pops are working in what tiles but if there is they've obscured it pretty well 'cuz I couldn't find it. I did see I could tell a city to focus on a particular type of production (food/science/industry) but can I not actually fiddle with the pops myself anymore?

there's a lot of buttons that straight don't work unless you click them a couple times (city bombard button comes to mind)

for the love of god stop moving my camera focus to a unit that can move if I already have another unit selected. the amount of scrolling back to where I was and sometimes even misclicking and resulting in a wasted turn as a unit just moves the total wrong direction was frustrating after a few hundred turns. It makes no sense that I can queue up orders except half the time it'll just take me halfway across the map to look at some other unit when the current action/battle is completed instead of the one I already have selected.

still though I think once the DLCs are out and things are tightened up it'll be better than 5

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 25, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I will say that even though there's improvement in a lot of areas there's some things that are kind of bafflingly simplified (or maybe just not explained well). Do I still need to connect cities to the capital to share resources like luxury goods? Do I need a harbor if there is no land connection? Does it just not matter anymore and anything in my territory is shared across all other territory I own regardless of roads/harbors? If it doesn't matter then that's kind of disappointing because I always liked getting my trade stuff all connected up.

More examples of this strange simplification stuff making me feel less like a god-emperor:

Dial-a-Dog posted:

You actually can rename units I think they just need to level up first, why they took away city banging l naming I can't even begin to guess

Also there are raider naval units (and privateers) but it seems like the mechanic of having mystery pirates attacking ships is still gone? I miss that a lot. What use is a privateer if I have to go to real war to use it to harass shipping/trade?

The mystery pirate attacks was a cool mechanic.

Dial-a-Dog posted:

You can still buy buildings, it's just that most of them are locked under districts, which you can't buy, so good luck jump-starting late game cities

I agree with this and also the bit about being hosed out of later wonders because you placed your districts wrong 300 turns ago. Just seems like a punishment to people who don't have all the wonder requirements memorized for no real reason - give a synergy bonus maybe for the 'right' configuration but don't prevent me from building it entirely. I wanted to build that Venetian Arsenal for 200 turns before someone else finally did it.

Seems like the latter half of the tech tree is a little light too... maybe it was just my perception after 1 epic length game but I blew through the final 3 eras super quick.

I like the map and art design in general but I agree with what a previous poster said about the fog of war turning 90% of the map you aren't actively looking at monochromatic and dull.

Also for the love of god stop spawning barbarians in 1900AD just because there's a tiny spit of tundra/desert that isn't settled or actively being looked at by anyone. It's kind of ridiculous how fast encampments spawn and how many will spawn close to each other (like literally right next to each other sometimes). I almost want to turn barbarians off just because of that which is a shame because they work just fine in early eras.

Mid-late game barbarians should have spawn rates affected by happiness levels in the border cities, and the camps should have some kind of minimum distance apart requirement like the cities do.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 25, 2016

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The lack of tooltips is reaaaally annoying. Maybe it's from playing EU4, but I expect tooltip explanations every time I hover over something. The opacity of this game's mechanisms makes thing so much less intuitive.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
FIRAXIS SUCKS DONKEY DONG

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
also builders should be able to repair pillaged tiles like army units do. the fact that I was confused the first few dozen turns (bc logically the builder repairs improvements not the warrior right?) and ended up removing an improvement entirely and re-building it before I realized I needed to just use the warrior to repair the tile instead is silly.

then in the modern era suddenly my army units wouldn't repair pillaged tiles barbarians hit so now I gotta spend 20 turns repairing my space center (that was 2 turns away from launching the 3rd Mars project :argh:) with city production because barbarians spawned and damaged it

maybe im doing it wrong or something but as has been said, the player feedback is extremely lacking

All that being said I still spend a poo poo ton of time playing it over the weekend and I had fun. I kinda wish they'd do a future era already though. Maybe as DLC.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 25, 2016

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Alan Smithee posted:

what are the odds of this happening? Asking as a non player

:spergin:

In Civ 1, you could engineer scenarios where tanks have worse-than-even odds of taking out a really fortified spearman. Under "average" conditions, a tank might have around ~25% chance of losing against a defending spearman. Even if they're just mowing down defenseless spears in the open they still have ~10% chance to die.

Civ 2 largely fixed the problem, but then Civ 3 was a step back. The "average" scenario in Civ 3 would have been something like a 5% chance to wipe out on a full health attack... but there was a decent chance that you'd take heavy damage even if you won, which still annoyed people.

From Civ 4 on the combat system got a lot more complicated and massive upsets pretty much became a non-issue.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
First Civ Game, went full military.

I get far enough that I am conquering all things.

I lose to some unspecified reason.

Check progress I am number one on all things.

Just requested a refund.

Whelp, learned my loving lesson, gently caress you Sid. gently caress you.

Enophos
Feb 29, 2008
Man, I wanted to get excited about this but I burned out on Civilization 5 (My ranking Civ 4> 2> 5> 3> 1). Civ 4 with Beyond the Sword is amazing. Unless 6 ends up some off the wall stuff like that, I'm gonna pass.

Review: If you like Civ 6 or hate it, who cares - play Civilization IV Beyond the Sword!

Edit: & also Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. re: Alien Crossfire, you can take it or leave it

Enophos fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 27, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Civ 4 isn't all that great, and the people who worship it just didn't bother to give a fully updated Civ 5 a try.

Enophos
Feb 29, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Civ 4 isn't all that great, and the people who worship it just didn't bother to give a fully updated Civ 5 a try.

Fair enough, I got Civ 5 at release and was burned out on it before the expansions.

Enophos fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Oct 27, 2016

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Enophos posted:

Review: If you like Civ 6 or hate it, who cares - play Civilization IV Beyond the Sword!

also: try it with this mod https://www.moddb.com/mods/caveman2cosmos

start as a band of homo sapiens, invent speaking a native language, progress until you invent time travel (also don't play on bigger than Huge maps lol)

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

VendaGoat posted:

Just requested a refund.

lol at this happening in less than two hours

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Dawn of Civilization is perfect and in fact Civ V loving sucks rear end

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
1upt is the dumbest loving thing, and furthermore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJiHDmyhE1A

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
1 unit per tile is fine it just needs some more refining. It's way better than the old massive stacks. I just don't understand why non combat units can't stack. Is it really a balance issue to let two workers stop on the same tile?

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I always thought it might be some sort of failsafe for dumb players/the AI so that they don't stack every worker they have and get it capped by a barbarian or something

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Blue Train posted:

graphics are too cartoony; looks like an ios game

This is my main complaint

Civ 5 looked cool and the illustrations were great

This new game is extremely cartoony and I don't like it

And I can't tell what the buildings are on the map yet, it just looks like a mess

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
I started a Civ V game and I had forgotten how long it takes for City States to take their turn. I remember now why I always turned them off.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

VendaGoat posted:

Just requested a refund.

Did you actually win to turn 750 or did you lose to religion and forget to check that tab?

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dial-a-Dog posted:

1 unit per tile is fine it just needs some more refining. It's way better than the old massive stacks. I just don't understand why non combat units can't stack. Is it really a balance issue to let two workers stop on the same tile?

it's not, it doesn't, it isn't. if they were interested in getting it right they could've just done a supply limit and been done with it rather than spending years iterating on a stupid as gently caress system that their maps and AI brains are too small to handle.

credit to the lead designer of civ v for having the cojones to admit he royally hosed up:

Jon Shafer, Lead Designer of Civ V posted:

"By far the most significant change I made with Civ 5 was to way in which wars were fought. Instead of large stacks of units crashing into one another as had always been the case in the previous Civ games, there was now 1UPT (one unit per tile). This forced players to spread out their armies across the landscape, instead of piling everything into a single tile. This was a model very much inspired by the old wargame Panzer General. On the whole, I would say that the combat mechanics are indeed better in Civ 5 than in any other entry in the series. But as is the theme of this article, there's a downside to consider as well.

One of the biggest challenges unearthed by 1UPT was writing a competent combat AI. I wasn't the one who developed this particular AI subsystem, and the member of the team who was tasked with this did a great job of making lemonade out of the design lemons I'd given him. Needless to say, programming an AI which can effectively maneuver dozens of units around in extremely tactically-confined spaces is incredibly difficult. The reason why this wasn't an issue in Panzer General was that their AI didn't actually need to do anything. It was always on the defensive, and a large part of that game was simply solving the "puzzle" of how to best crack open enemy strongholds. It was plenty sufficient if your opponents simply ordered a single tank to stir up some trouble every so often. What made Panzer General fun was you blitzkrieg-ing through Europe while your enemies quickly and dramatically fell before your might. However, in a Civ game, the AI has to be capable of launching full-scale invasions, sometimes on different landmasses. Needless to say, we're talking about a challenge on completely different scale.

Speaking of scale, another significant issue with 1UPT was that the maps wasn't really suited for it. The joy of Panzer General was pulling off clever maneuvers and secretly encircling your helpless enemies. Unfortunately, in Civ 5 nasty bottlenecks aren't uncommon and this tempers much of the natural value added by 1UPT. Ultimately, there just wasn't enough room to do the fun part. To address this, I could have done something crazy like added sub-tiles to the existing grid. I really don't think this would have been a good idea though, as the whole point in having a tiles is that everything happens on the same playing field, which makes it very easy to tell what's going on. Once you start muddying the waters of what goes where, you lose that clarity and mechanical chunkiness tiles offer. And at that point, you might as well just get rid of them entirely.

Speculation aside, the reality was that the congestion caused by 1UPT also impacted other parts of the game. In every prior Civ title it was no problem to have ten, fifty or even a thousand units under your control. Sure, larger numbers meant more to manage, but hotkeys and UI conveniences could alleviate much of the problem. But in Civ 5, every unit needed its own tile, and that meant the map filled up pretty quickly. To address this, I slowed the rate of production, which in turn led to more waiting around for buckets to fill up. For pacing reasons, in the early game I might have wanted players to be training new units every 4 turns. But this was impossible, because the map would have then become covered in Warriors by the end of the classical era. And once the map fills up too much, even warfare stops being fun.

So is there a way to make 1UPT really work in a Civ game? Perhaps. The key is the map. Is there enough of room to stash units freely and slide them around each other? If so, then yes, you can do it. For this to be possible, I'd think you would have to increase the maximum map size by at least four times. You'd probably also want to alter the map generation logic to make bottlenecks larger and less common. Of course, making the world that much bigger would introduce a whole new set of challenges!"

i'm just heartbroken over how thoroughly they've ratfucked my favorite series. ah well, here's sulla. read them if you care way too much about vidya.

http://www.sullla.com/Civ5/whatwentwrong.html
http://www.sullla.com/Civ5/bnwreview.html
http://www.sullla.com/Civ6/positivethoughts.html

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Nah, I like it, they just need to work on the AI and ignore 1upt for non combatants

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Nut to Butt posted:

i'm just heartbroken over how thoroughly they've ratfucked my favorite series.

this is why most forums devoted to video games are bad, because of stupid hyperbole from grognards who make any thread about any triple A game an absolute chore to read. it is especially true of civilization, bethesda games, zelda, and smash brothers. there's always some mechanical change that has "ruined the series forever," and the only good games are ones that were from 20 years ago, and they post 20 times a page about it while other people are trying to enjoy themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

this is why most forums devoted to video games are bad, because of stupid hyperbole from grognards who make any thread about any triple A game an absolute chore to read. it is especially true of civilization, bethesda games, zelda, and smash brothers. there's always some mechanical change that has "ruined the series forever," and the only good games are ones that were from 20 years ago, and they post 20 times a page about it while other people are trying to enjoy themselves

sorry, im not heartbroken, that was hyperbole. 1upt was a massive and ill-advised change in the series, and forced all sorts of other bad changes to accommodate it. i understand that some people disagree, but nice meltdown, moron.

see you in the civ7 thread when doomstacks are back. :black101:

• Locked thread