Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
loving how have you never heard of it outside of gbs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I guess I roll with people who are all okay with saying things like "that guy doesn't know what he's talking about" without having to pretend they are TV doctors providing a diagnosis on the patient of the week

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
nice tv tropes post op

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

I have a hot take on this issue. The reason that "smart" characters are also portrayed as pricks is because the New Stupidity of 21st century America is so infuriating that even marginally smart people are angry all the time.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

The New Stupidity is when you aunt says to you "well that's just your opinion you have yours and i have mine and we're all entitled to what we think" when you've mentioned the existence of the water cycle.

Or when your cousin says about her dentist "I had people who went to college, they think they know so much more and lord it over you." Yeah I'm sure he really lorded his knowledge of how to take care of your stupid loving teeth over you dipshit.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

NomChompsky posted:

I have a hot take on this issue. The reason that "smart" characters are also portrayed as pricks is because the New Stupidity of 21st century America is so infuriating that even marginally smart people are angry all the time.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Most TV writers these days aren't slumming novelists, they are morons who do nothing but write for tv and have no clue what intelligence looks like.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

NomChompsky posted:

The New Stupidity is when you aunt says to you "well that's just your opinion you have yours and i have mine and we're all entitled to what we think" when you've mentioned the existence of the water cycle.

Or when your cousin says about her dentist "I had people who went to college, they think they know so much more and lord it over you." Yeah I'm sure he really lorded his knowledge of how to take care of your stupid loving teeth over you dipshit.

American's are no dumber now than they ever were.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The Dennis System posted:

i am

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Most TV writers these days aren't slumming novelists, they are morons who do nothing but write for tv and have no clue what intelligence looks like.

Don't like half of Simpsons and Futurama writers have PhDs in actual things like math?

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

"When you eat carbohydrates and protein together they rot in your stomach and turn into cancer and fat. I heard it on the radio." - Words said at me by a flesh and blood human.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

We're still in the golden age of TV. TV now is much better on average than it ever was in the past and is better on average than movies.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

NomChompsky posted:

"When you eat carbohydrates and protein together they rot in your stomach and turn into cancer and fat. I heard it on the radio." - Words said at me by a flesh and blood human.

not too long ago their ancestors were extolling the health benefits of radium water, let's not romanticise the past by pretending there was ever a more enlightened age when the average person could take care of themselves

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 17, 2017

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

We're still in the golden age of TV. TV now is much better on average than it ever was in the past and is better on average than movies.

Only because movies have gotten worse, for the same reasons

Go watch a new broadcast tv program and tell me that with a straight face. Like apb or taken or whatever. They're real bad

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016
The flatness of the earth is just an opinion, man.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Go watch a new broadcast tv program and tell me that with a straight face. Like apb or taken or whatever. They're real bad

seriously. tv is loving awful.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I agree that most TV is trash, but there's still a lot of good stuff out there. Stuff like Better Call Saul, Baskets, Sunny, Rick and Morty.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

a couple weeks back I sat through part of a multi-channel marathon of bigfoot hunting; Animal Planet was running back-to-back episodes of Finding Bigfoot where they had an entire hick town go out in the woods and beat the bushes to drive out Sasquatch, then the next channel up was Killing Bigfoot which was the exact same thing but with guns, and the next channel had something I didn't catch the name of where some professor guy was being interviewed at length about the very real phenomenon of bigfoot. gently caress you if you think TV is bad now

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Broadcast TV had real good stretch of comedy shows from the mid-2000s up until like four years ago.

I have no idea what their gameplan is now. Pretty sure their core demographic is the 50-dead crowd. It's like the funny pages in a newspaper. A slow cringey trainwreck with outliers you can count on one hand.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

*says a verifiable fact*

"I don't believe that :rolleyes:"

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

NomChompsky posted:

*says a verifiable fact*

"I don't believe that :rolleyes:"

Sounds like somebody needs to learn to question* everything he reads!

*(Decide whether or not this new information makes you feel good about yourself.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

not too long ago their ancestors were extolling the health benefits of radium water, let's not romanticise the past by pretending there was ever a more enlightened age when the average person could take care of themselves

at least with radium water even the scientists were like, "wow this radium stuff is crazy! I wonder what it does? oh well I'll just carry chunks of the most radioactive materials I've identified so far around in my pockets, can't hurt." :shrug:

*pioneers of radioactivity science all die early from cancer*

maybe there wasn't a more enlightened age, but there was a time when everyone was more equally stupid

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
what if I identify with raskolinikov?

is it cool to identify with characters from 19th century russian literature? will that help me secure a mate?

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

de_dust posted:

what if I identify with raskolinikov?

is it cool to identify with characters from 19th century russian literature? will that help me secure a mate?

Yeah maybe if you're an edgy megalomaniac 18 year old.

If you want tail when you're older, you gotta identify with Razumikhin.

Dude just wants to sip stew and lay pipe without making too many waves or killing too many people because reasons.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

a couple weeks back I sat through part of a multi-channel marathon of bigfoot hunting; Animal Planet was running back-to-back episodes of Finding Bigfoot where they had an entire hick town go out in the woods and beat the bushes to drive out Sasquatch, then the next channel up was Killing Bigfoot which was the exact same thing but with guns, and the next channel had something I didn't catch the name of where some professor guy was being interviewed at length about the very real phenomenon of bigfoot. gently caress you if you think TV is bad now

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

FaradayCage posted:

Yeah maybe if you're an edgy megalomaniac 18 year old.

If you want tail when you're older, you gotta identify with Razumikhin.

Dude just wants to sip stew and lay pipe without making too many waves or killing too many people because reasons.

brb I'm "going to America"

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

SpaceClown posted:

N/A i am a non-sentient malignant mass of chaos, a blind idiot nebulous entity
hate shaped like a man over here

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

NomChompsky posted:

youll understand when youre older :smug: (i just won the conversation)

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

de_dust posted:

brb I'm "going to America"

My take on the line is that America doesn't have gulags and gag firing squads so America is basically heaven to a Russian.

Or it's a reference to the whole "I would have liked have seen Montana" line, I don't know if reference humor was big back then.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

More like Hero With One Face A Thousand Times.

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830
They should have ended Prison Break after the first season and made a spin-off called "T-Bag's World".

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
What is T-bag short for

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

What is T-bag short for

Theodore Bagwell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rutibex posted:

sheldon is an anti-hero

The premise of the big bang theory seems to be that if you recognize your flaws and actually work to improve yourself on some level, your life will improve, and if you continue to act like a gross weirdo your life will be poo poo, so from that point of view I don't think it's a very bad show.

From a lot of other points of view though, it is a very bad show.

• Locked thread