Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've been trying for years to figure out the name of this one book I had as a child and lost. Every page was a bunch of brain teasers and puzzles and stuff but I think it also had a big fat cat hidden on each page you had to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So apparently Scholastic tried to re-release Animorphs and stopped after book 7 (or book 8, if you're down with e-books).

This is fine, since book 6 was probably my favorite one.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Animorphs are no longer relevant in a post-9/11 world.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

maskenfreiheit posted:

So trump is definitely a controller

Controllers are usually relatively low key, though, aren't they? With the exception of Visser-3.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

FactsAreUseless posted:

Books are no longer relevant in a post-9/11 world.

I think the reason this series had such a weird cult impact is that it was probably the highest concept Sci-Fi at the lowest possible reading level and had Grand Theft Auto levels of “my parents are clearly not aware of the content”. True deep little nerds could try to force themselves through “A Wrinkle in Time” but as a 2nd or 3rd grader I could easily digest these books and comprehend them without being bored

Like book 6-7 is Jake, the leader, got Yeerked and they tie him up in a barn and wait the 3 days until the slug in his brain suffocated and dies while his crew take turns morphing into him so his parents don’t get worried.

The first time I ever had to put a book down and reflect on what I had just read was Animorphs 15-16 or so, where they meet the sentient race of Dog-Robots (Pemalites?) and they get taken away to their sub-aquatic Ocean base that the Yeerks are invading and there is a big fight and the perspective character of the book gets knocked out and when he comes to the entire place is just a pile of blood and gore and the Animorphs are like “wha?” And the robot is like “well I got scared you guys might get hurt and all our stuff would get broken so I reprogrammed myself to commit violence and since I have super strength and speed it was comically nightmarish but now I’m so messed up from slaughtering hundreds of mind-controlled aliens that I reprogrammed myself NOT to do that ever again! The HORRORS OF WAR!” I was like 9-10 and I just put the book down and sat outside until my mom got me for dinner.

The coolest part of the series was the sweet Alien Boss-Monster morphs Visser 3 always had and any book that didn’t have a sweet Visser 3 boss monster lacked a satisfying conclusion.

David and his storyline is definitely the most hosed up poo poo anyone read in the 5th grade ever.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I vaguely remember reading the book where Jake got yeerked. What kept him from morphing when he was being controlled?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

I vaguely remember reading the book where Jake got yeerked. What kept him from morphing when he was being controlled?

nothing. they just had counters ready. he tried wolf and they led him to a real wolf pack and forced a fight. he tried ant and got ripped to pieces. he tried tiger and they got him on the demorph.

he tried hawk and either rachel or cassie landed on his head as an owl and threatened to gouge out his eyes with their talons.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
As a child I thought it was dumb that they could morph in swimsuits, but as an adult I appreciate Applegate trying to outwit perverts and pedophiles.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

David and his storyline is definitely the most hosed up poo poo anyone read in the 5th grade ever.

trapping a dude permanently as a rat and dumping him on a rat infested rock in the ocean because this fits the letter of "we don't kill" :thumbsup:

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
visser three's twin brother who used his knowledge of yeerk technology to found america online and then used aol to connect with other yeerks for the purposes of cannibalizing them for kandrona nutrents because he was exiled and kill on sight to the empire

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

sword_man.gif posted:

nothing. they just had counters ready. he tried wolf and they led him to a real wolf pack and forced a fight. he tried ant and got ripped to pieces. he tried tiger and they got him on the demorph.

he tried hawk and either rachel or cassie landed on his head as an owl and threatened to gouge out his eyes with their talons.

Oh. :stare:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

I think the reason this series had such a weird cult impact is that it was probably the highest concept Sci-Fi at the lowest possible reading level and had Grand Theft Auto levels of “my parents are clearly not aware of the content”. True deep little nerds could try to force themselves through “A Wrinkle in Time” but as a 2nd or 3rd grader I could easily digest these books and comprehend them without being bored

Like book 6-7 is Jake, the leader, got Yeerked and they tie him up in a barn and wait the 3 days until the slug in his brain suffocated and dies while his crew take turns morphing into him so his parents don’t get worried.

The first time I ever had to put a book down and reflect on what I had just read was Animorphs 15-16 or so, where they meet the sentient race of Dog-Robots (Pemalites?) and they get taken away to their sub-aquatic Ocean base that the Yeerks are invading and there is a big fight and the perspective character of the book gets knocked out and when he comes to the entire place is just a pile of blood and gore and the Animorphs are like “wha?” And the robot is like “well I got scared you guys might get hurt and all our stuff would get broken so I reprogrammed myself to commit violence and since I have super strength and speed it was comically nightmarish but now I’m so messed up from slaughtering hundreds of mind-controlled aliens that I reprogrammed myself NOT to do that ever again! The HORRORS OF WAR!” I was like 9-10 and I just put the book down and sat outside until my mom got me for dinner.

The coolest part of the series was the sweet Alien Boss-Monster morphs Visser 3 always had and any book that didn’t have a sweet Visser 3 boss monster lacked a satisfying conclusion.

wrong, since they never hosed or ate rear end it is perfectly appropriate for children

bonus fact: KA Applegate also wrote the Barf O' Rama series.

Who What Now posted:

As a child I thought it was dumb that they could morph in swimsuits, but as an adult I appreciate Applegate trying to outwit perverts and pedophiles.

forward thinking considering there was a lot of clamor for a movie.

remember how they tried to tell the actress who played Alex Mack the same thing but ditched that after the 1st episode because, no you sick Nickelodeon fucks we're not having a naked teen in every one of of eps

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
there was a book where at least half or more was spent going over in detail about how tobias was being tortured from his perspective

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I remember the exact moment I stopped reading this series. Rachel was having a nightmare and some passerby screamed out "Oh my god, they killed Kenny!" This was in 1998-2000 or so. Yeah, that did it. Put the series down and never picked it up again.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
the book where they teach a bunch of cripples to morph to help them fight and half of them get slaughtered in the first battle and the rest are never mentioned again

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

sword_man.gif posted:

there was a book where at least half or more was spent going over in detail about how tobias was being tortured from his perspective

There was like a 60 book series where his alien parents don't love him and he has to spend his entire life as a bird killing and eating baby animals and living as an eco-terrorist and the only person he cares about is a tall blonde supermodel who would totally bang him if he werent a bird.

How is that not torture?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

There was like a 60 page series where his alien parents don't love him and he has to spend his entire life as a bird killing and eating baby animals and living as an eco-terrorist and the only person he cares about is a tall blonde supermodel who would totally bang him if he werent a bird.

How is that not torture?

they would alternate directly stimulating the pleasure centers and the pain centers of his brain to swing him back and forth between unbelievable bliss and excruciating agony. i think they also broke his wings in the process but gruesome injuries were par for the course.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

maskenfreiheit posted:

the book where they teach a bunch of cripples to morph to help them fight and half of them get slaughtered in the first battle and the rest are never mentioned again

they pretty much all died in the final push alongside the us army as a suicide diversion to allow the main crew to sneak onto the pool ship

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

sword_man.gif posted:

i think they also broke his wings in the process but gruesome injuries were par for the course.
This was one thing I really respected about the series. It never glossed over how painful and exhausting what they were doing was.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

maskenfreiheit posted:

forward thinking considering there was a lot of clamor for a movie.

remember how they tried to tell the actress who played Alex Mack the same thing but ditched that after the 1st episode because, no you sick Nickelodeon fucks we're not having a naked teen in every one of of eps

that must have been before dan schneider started working at nickelodeon

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Or that Bill Gates was a renegade brain slug who stayed out of the system by luring in other brain slugs them crushing them up and eating them for sustenance.

i've remembered literally everything mentioned in this thread apart from this. what the gently caress

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

As dumb as "lol dog robots" seems on the surface, I still have the mental image of that scene burned into my brain even though I haven't read it in decades.

There's a really powerful core to the book series as a whole, and I'm actually pretty shocked that it hasn't been picked up for a moderate-high production value animated show

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sentient Data posted:

As dumb as "lol dog robots" seems on the surface, I still have the mental image of that scene burned into my brain even though I haven't read it in decades.

Yeah there's certain scenes I feel like I'm never going to forget. Marco having an emotional talk with his mom after Visser 1 is pulled out of her head and marco's just holding the yeerk in his hand wanting to squeeze it to death but his mom convinces him that it would lead to retribution against all of them and he has to put 1 back in really got to me as a kid

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

lol the password to the dog-android's spaceship was 6

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Sentient Data posted:

There's a really powerful core to the book series as a whole, and I'm actually pretty shocked that it hasn't been picked up for a moderate-high production value animated show

the author did an ama and mentioned they told nickelodeon live action was dumb because kid actors and cgi are two most expensive things and they expressed that it should have been an animated show too

i hope they get the ppl who animated bojack to do it.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Not a Children posted:

lol the password to the dog-android's spaceship was 6

after the animorphs and visser 3 started fighting on that ship it put out a containment field and made them all leave for being violent

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I remember that battle. Weren't they called the Chee? It was hardcore as gently caress. I also remember in the first prequel that Visser 3 had these pimp organic wheel monsters with teeth that he used to chase Ax around. that was a cool scene also.

Who What Now posted:

I think Jake literally said "aw man what a disappointment" the first time he saw Cassie and Rachel morphin back to their swimsuits rofl. always nice for YA fiction authors to throw a bone or two of sex titillation to their 12 year old readers.

Zane fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 15, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zane posted:

I think Jake literally said "aw man what a disappointment" the first time he saw Cassie and Rachel morphin back to their swimsuits rofl. always nice for YA fiction authors to throw a bone or two of sex titillation to their 12 year old readers.

Rachel was his cousin too. :barf:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Zane posted:

I remember that battle. Weren't they called the Chee? It was hardcore as gently caress. I also remember in the first prequel that Visser 3 had these pimp organic wheel monsters with teeth that chased Ax around. that was a cool scene also.

Oh yeah and the faceless McDonalds dude. That first prequel was super trippy. Don't they unmake then remake reality in that one?

Marco would have been a goon, I think

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah the Time Matrix was such a comically overpowered Sci-Fi Deus Ex Machina

It was a time machine that rebuilt the timeline to the users specifications. You could go back to any moment in time and just change what you didn’t like about it and then proceed as normal.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Not a Children posted:

Oh yeah and the faceless McDonalds dude. That first prequel was super trippy. Don't they unmake then remake reality in that one?

elfangor, loren, and visser 3 all try to use the time matrix simultaniously resulting in a pocket dimension that's a weird criss-cross of all of their homeworlds since they were each trying to go home. the dimensions have things specific to them and the whole thing is generally weird. in the end they head to the middle where time is accelerated (loren and elfangor wind up aging about 5-7 years) and loren alone uses the time matrix to take them back to earth, but alters reality so that everyone accepts her at her new age

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
one i remember was there was an entrance to the yeerk pool at mcdonalds and to get in you asked for a happy meal with "extra happy"

ka applegate totally used to buy weed at mcds

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

It was a time machine that rebuilt the timeline to the users specifications. You could go back to any moment in time and just change what you didn’t like about it and then proceed as normal.

one of the books was all about a dude mucking about with the time matrix to gently caress up history. jake died for a while by getting his noggin popped during the american revolution but they wound up wiping out everything that happened in the book by going to the location where the guy who stole the time matrix's parents met, and inadvertently wound up making his parents never meet in the first place

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

maskenfreiheit posted:

one i remember was there was an entrance to the yeerk pool at mcdonalds and to get in you asked for a happy meal with "extra happy"

Her ghostwriter, for sure.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
also somebody calls cassie a friend of the family in that book (heavily implied. referred to as "a word i wouldn't repeat" and it's during mega racist america times) and she hulks out and turns into a polar bear at them.

they also wind up killing hitler but because alternate history he's just some grunt driving a tank.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

maskenfreiheit posted:

oh my god I never put 2 and 2 together on that one

I think there were a lot of clothed references to sex and drugs. Was there ever a Very Special Animorphs where they learn not to do be peer pressured? Or maybe that was the whole thing with The Sharing, which now that I think of it might be a Scientology dig

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Not a Children posted:

oh my god I never put 2 and 2 together on that one

I think there were a lot of clothed references to sex and drugs. Was there ever a Very Special Animorphs where they learn not to do be peer pressured? Or maybe that was the whole thing with The Sharing, which now that I think of it might be a Scientology dig

there was the one where they discover a certain type of oatmeal is a drug for yeerks and so dumping a bunch in the yeerk pool is kind of like filling a normal pool with lsd and they do that and all the yeerks go crazy

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The funny thing is how not overpowered it is if you think in more modern terms: it doesn't alter time or events at all, the computer searches through parallel dimensions to find an existing reality matching the description. It swaps your consciousness with the other bodies, and they get to be ripped from their peace to live your hell

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

maskenfreiheit posted:

there was the one where they discover a certain type of oatmeal is a drug for yeerks and so dumping a bunch in the yeerk pool is kind of like filling a normal pool with lsd and they do that and all the yeerks go crazy
This one was so loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

maskenfreiheit posted:

I read my first Animorphs book at a McDonald's. It was an early Ax book.

• Locked thread