Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
if by "tool" you mean a symbol of ingenuity from mankind down to the noble crow, then yes, friend, I am a tool

"poo poo-lips"? well, sir,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Was anyone else exposed to the maddox fansites? There is a weekend web for one of them.

One was Maddox Mania, and at 11 years old, it was my first exposure to web forums.

All of the fansites (there were four at the peak IIRC) had more or less the same demographics. Some minors like me (I wasn't even the youngest kid on maddox mania), a few 20-something nerds, and a strangely large amount of older people who aged from like 35+. the sites existed as factional rivalries, admin disputes, and arguments over whether the spirit of maddox mandated loose forum culture where the coolest posters were the ones who coulddish out hte sickest burns, or a place to actually talk about maddox maybe? who knows. What I do know is that the worst one lasted the longest.

It was an extremely toxic place for an 11 year old to be exposed to regularly, but I did become a regular, and developed friendships with grown men and women that in hindsight makes those people incredibly loving creepy.

The thing about those places was that even the maddox fansites had reached a majority consensus by like, 2002, that maddox wasn't loving funny at all,

Maddox mania was basically abandoned by its admin, and at its height had about 300 users active. Imagine a smaller SA, but Lowtax abandoned the site years ago, a single admin has incomplete privileges and can only temp-ban and appoint moderators who can't do much more than clean up spam and refer posters for bans.

That was maddox mania for six or seven years iirc. i'm not sure when it went down because i stopped visiting before the end of the first bush administration.

That place was so weird and i could talk about it more than i should.

The fact that an unfunny poo poo like Maddox had four simultaneously active fansites with active forums, all of whom largely regarded him as an unfunny hasbeen, is more amusing than anything the man himself ever did.

maddox mania, the best fanpage in the universe, friends of maddox, and maddox addicts.

There may be archives of these places somewhere. They were truly some of the shittiest forums in existence. I looked at one like three years ago, the best fanpage was inexplicably still there, and it was the same loving people, still averaging like 30 posts a day, all talking at each other with a bitter, hostile tone desperately trying to work in the sickest burn possible to 'win' a decades long competition with no apparent winner. Apparently one of the admins joined the navy, went AWOL, and was found in thailand soliciting for underaged sex workers. So, that's the quality of person maddox attracted.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
how do you sustain a forum about a site that makes a single page long post every few months

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The site still drew traffic in those days despite the infrequent updates, and maddox would list his fansites in those days, he did not realize the embarassment they were and saw them as proof of how badass his pirate self was or w/e.

I can safely say the culture of these sites was generally so toxic that it drove people away. There would be registration spikes timed with article updates, and the posting regulars would treat the new blood like total poo poo. Before I left, the last major drama I remember was specifically the fact that the average number of daily active users was down something huge like 300% from the previous year. The active admin wasn't interested nor able to seriously crack down, and the mods had turned their subforums into private fiefdoms and were hostile to rule changes not of their own making. So the place died slowly.

I have no idea how or when the site finally died but I'm assuming Wench (the site owner) was reminded she owned a website and decided that money would be better spent on anything else and axed it.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ayn Randi posted:

truly time makes cucks of us all

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
i meant to send this reply a ways back but got distracted by the holidays:

maddox failed out of college and nobody seems to call him on it.

he spouted some bullshit once in an interview that they required him to take the GREs and he either refused or didn't score high enough so he just quit college

of course, modern "journalists" are basically cockatiels who regurgitate whatever their masters say, so they just repeated this.

unfortunately it looks like the interview 404s and isn't waybacked, but every time i see him mentioned I lol heartily that he managed to convince a reporter that you could be refused graduation from undergrad if you don't score high enough on the GRE

let us never forget that maddox made a dumb lie about why he was too dumb to finish college

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.
I had a friend that was obsessed with Maddox and even tried to make a website in similar fashion. Naturally, it went nowhere but I commended his effort and wondered why that ninjapierat douche had a following in comparison.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

The lovely drawing kids are all making more money than him now :mrgw:

e: checked YouTube to lol at his whiny voice, stayed to lol at absolutely everything about it

complete generic yappy hot take videos, slams his hungry audience for demanding updates while pulling a crazy <40k views. Has a new book out. It's called gently caress Whales.

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 29, 2017

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Unrelated but I noticed my car satellite radio whatever has a station called Canadian Comedy and that seems really weirdly specific

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

Unrelated but I noticed my car satellite radio whatever has a station called Canadian Comedy and that seems really weirdly specific

it is because of CRTC regulations for Canadian content on the platform. the CRTC loving suck

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Saint Drogo posted:

Has a new book out. It's called gently caress Whales.

Oh wow a fresh spin on a classic Simpsons's joke. Edgy. Haha!

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Papa Emeritus III posted:

I had a friend that was obsessed with Maddox and even tried to make a website in similar fashion. Naturally, it went nowhere but I commended his effort and wondered why that ninjapierat douche had a following in comparison.

TBF I think every angsty guy in that period of the Internet did something like this after reading Maddox’s site as a way to learn HTML.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I listened to the podcast Maddox did with Dick Masterson. Dick was like some libertarian MAGA chud who hated women and Maddox seemed like he wanted to be seen as above politics but kind of came off mostly like a California Democrat. The fanbase in the comments for the most part seemed to be the same as Dick and called Maddox a cuck a lot.
After the podcast ended, like a couple of months later, I saw some thing where apparently Maddox was palling around with Sargon of Akkad to talk about Anita Sarkeesian so it feels like he's just trying to recapture the audience that called him a cuck and left to go see whatever dumb poo poo Dick's doing. It's weird. A pox on both their houses.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
didn;t maddox reg here then get banned lmfao

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

If that was a valid cause of action the forums would never worry about money again.

thank you for sharing the news bud. now...time to think about how i'll spend my share of whatever currency twitter votes pay in!!

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

bloodysabbath posted:

TBF I think every angsty guy in that period of the Internet did something like this after reading Maddox’s site as a way to learn HTML.

I can see that. I just hated how some nerds would even speak like Maddox dialogue in normal conversation. Instead of sounding funny, they just seemed bitchy and impossible to tolerate.

"Wanna go see a movie?"
"ALL MOVIES ARE SALAD TOSSING FAGPANTS."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if u dont toss your salad youll get too much of one ingredient per bite, for example, ice berg lettuce

• Locked thread