Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Mr. Clark2 posted:

No clue where :perfect: came from

I hink it was a deliberate counterpart to :mediocre:, both memorable villain lines from fury road

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

for a while you could pay to change your regdate to 9/11 lol

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i seem to recall that lasting for years too

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Blue Raider posted:

I agree. That was some way past the point of being reasonable, Eternal September poo poo.

This was one of the reasons I put off registering. Nerdfighting is the worst.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Blue Raider posted:

i seem to recall that lasting for years too

people would also get snooty about it because it "hides" your real reg date :argh:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Papa Emeritus III posted:

This was one of the reasons I put off registering. Nerdfighting is the worst.

There also used to be a big focus on posting decorum, focusing on precise grammar or behavior and whatever else that meant. I distinctly remember a stickied GBS thread from circa 2008 that was a call to experienced posters to mentor new posters in forums culture. This was absurd at the time and would be even more so today.

Of course, this weird parliamentary standard was only enforced when the forums had a constant influx of hundreds or thousands of new users. To follow those rules today would only result in 95% of the userbase loving off to Reddit while only a handful of pedants remained talking about turntables or whatever.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Cubone posted:

people would also get snooty about it because it "hides" your real reg date :argh:

they’d just assume you were whatever the current or previous year was

I skated in just in time to avoid having A Bad Regdate :smug:

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Blue Raider posted:

There also used to be a big focus on posting decorum, focusing on precise grammar or behavior and whatever else that meant. I distinctly remember a stickied GBS thread from circa 2008 that was a call to experienced posters to mentor new posters in forums culture. This was absurd at the time and would be even more so today.

Of course, this weird parliamentary standard was only enforced when the forums had a constant influx of hundreds or thousands of new users. To follow those rules today would only result in 95% of the userbase loving off to Reddit while only a handful of pedants remained talking about turntables or whatever.

That was my other reason for putting off a registration, actually. People would catch a probation for bad grammar or one word posts. It was ridiculous. I understand why the rule was there but people were spergin it into a new dimension.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

OMGVBFLOL posted:

they’d just assume you were whatever the current or previous year was

I skated in just in time to avoid having A Bad Regdate :smug:

still got an iceass tho

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

I think those rules were good not only for their part in preventing SA from becoming like every other trash forum but also for the 'mystique' they lent to SA in the internet of the aughts.
I'm also the guy who uses correct grammar in text messages so take everything I say with a mouthful of salt.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

popewiles posted:

I think those rules were good not only for their part in preventing SA from becoming like every other trash forum but also for the 'mystique' they lent to SA in the internet of the aughts.
I'm also the guy who uses correct grammar in text messages so take everything I say with a mouthful of salt.

While GBS isn't exactly the whole forum, it's a bellwether. So things go to 11 here first.

If I remember correctly, the turn toward posting decorum was because the forum was in danger of becoming what 4chan became: memes, single-word posts, goatse, rickrolls, and white noise. Actually having standards and having to think before posting was both a novelty and a relief. Then once that got out of hand, as things do 'round here, it swung too far back the other direction, and suddenly GBS was FYAD with positive post counts. We're at more of an equilibrium now.

Anyway, :nsavince:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cubone posted:

I hink it was a deliberate counterpart to :mediocre:, both memorable villain lines from fury road

I'm pretty sure they were both purchased by AI posters, the whole subforum was pretty nuts for Fury Road when it came out (and still is).

Jikes posted:

still got an iceass tho

I never did figure out where those came from, what's the deal?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

:coolfish:

:shepface:

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

popewiles posted:

That was precisely it really. I can't remember if it was Ozma or Lowtax that actually made a "thank you" sort of thread for everyone not posting like we were on the GameFAQ boards. Good grammar and not simply posting "lol" was highly encouraged (often by probating or banning offenders). I think Ozma in particular enforced the grammar rules pretty enthusiastically.

Blue Raider posted:

For a long while there would be a monthly "adopt a newbie" thread for vets to take new folks under their wing, teach them the rules, etc. I "adopted" quite a few folks back in those days. And when I was going through my friends list the other day I found that none of them had been perma'ed, so I think I did okay. :coal: (Plenty of them haven't posted in forever though)

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.
Oh, I agree with the reason on having the rules. I'm also glad to hear that newbs were helped out. I didn't know about that part. I just thought that some of the strict behavior was a bit much at times. Yet, when you deal with hundreds of thousands of users... Being cutthroat is appropriate.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
SA was also about handing out bans casually for fun. It's not like people were really that uptight about flawless grammar when you could also get banned for using the word "what."

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

SA was also about handing out bans casually for fun. It's not like people were really that uptight about flawless grammar when you could also get banned for using the word "what."

idk who to point the finger at about that, so im gonna take a shot in the dark and blame Ozma

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

also, those oddly draconian posting rules were completely overwhelmed by the widespread adoption of smartphones

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It was just a different time on the internet. The arbitrary bans were seen as fun and wacky and people reupped immediately. It stopped being viable when people stopped being willing to :10bux: all the time. It had nothing to do with Ozma or smartphones.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
drat, this thread makes me feel old, but also really happy. Good thread. :tipshat: :tbear: :yarg:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Papa Emeritus III posted:

That was my other reason for putting off a registration, actually. People would catch a probation for bad grammar or one word posts. It was ridiculous. I understand why the rule was there but people were spergin it into a new dimension.

My girlfriend introduced me to SA back in 2007, and I wound up lurking for a long time on her account before getting my own. Her advice to me was to never post anything or I'd get banned, because things were so draconian.

To this day I still don't think she posts much, if at all.

I'd love to see an SACyclopedia of the smilies, hands down the best collection on the internet. I get so irrationally annoyed at how terrible the ones on basically every other forum are.

I'm sad the utility of this one was so short lived:

:mitt:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

NSA version of the Vince smiley. The little grinning guy is from a leaked nsa presentation, about prism I think

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm still fond of :wom: and how thoroughly it got run into the ground and how mad people were

:wom::wom::wom:
:wom::wom:
:wom:

you, you you are
you, you you are
:wom:anizer
:wom:anizer
:wom:anizer baby

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2877873&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

OSU_Matthew posted:

My girlfriend introduced me to SA back in 2007, and I wound up lurking for a long time on her account before getting my own. Her advice to me was to never post anything or I'd get banned, because things were so draconian.

To this day I still don't think she posts much, if at all.

I'd love to see an SACyclopedia of the smilies, hands down the best collection on the internet. I get so irrationally annoyed at how terrible the ones on basically every other forum are.

I'm sad the utility of this one was so short lived:

:mitt:

It's not the SAclopedia but this thread also explains smilies very well. :unsmith: enjoy!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3484928&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Guy got permabanned for too much wom lmao.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
drat that's a good thread

RememberYourMantra
Dec 5, 2005

Don't Have Negative Thoughts

Pillbug
Only tangentially related, but I just wanted to share that I made these thread icons... about ten years ago.

It gives me warm fuzzy feelings to see them still being used.

The head in the La Migra one is Lou Dobbs.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

OMGVBFLOL posted:

You sstill can...

MisterFister
Jul 6, 2003

Sticking it to THE MAN, assuming THE MAN is an innocent casual dining restaurant.
:q: Was bought by some dude who posted a thread about how he bought it in fyad which got like 0 replies. Some time later the thread was bumped and :q: got famous. I think that's the story anyway. Been some years.

Edit: actually don't think the thread was bumped. I think fyad just found it and started using it, then the thread by the dude who bought it was found.

MisterFister fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 1, 2018

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Anne Whateley posted:

"Post in this thread to be banned!" threads by Lowtax were fairly regular back then (and funny). As was the absolute making GBS threads on of JJCoolJ and all furries in general. :rip: Furry Concentration Camp.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Beefeater posted:

"Post in this thread to be banned!" threads by Lowtax were fairly regular back then (and funny). As was the absolute making GBS threads on of JJCoolJ and all furries in general. :rip: Furry Concentration Camp.

The furry business is one of the things that made me aware of the site in the first place. Probably around 03? That poo poo was old internet as hell from the known furries having their avatar changed to a yellow Star of David that said "yiff," to the furry ghetto forum, to their mass banning in the Lolocaust. I guess all that remains of that is the gas chamber where bad threads are sent to be killed.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
:chillout:

Is BYOB the same way it used to be?

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Blue Raider posted:

The furry business is one of the things that made me aware of the site in the first place. Probably around 03? That poo poo was old internet as hell from the known furries having their avatar changed to a yellow Star of David that said "yiff," to the furry ghetto forum, to their mass banning in the Lolocaust. I guess all that remains of that is the gas chamber where bad threads are sent to be killed.

Oh poo poo, I remember the yiff star. Forgot about that until you mentioned it. I think I saw one fairly recently, too.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I think another reason for strict posting regs in the past was because of the massive influx of new posters who just came for the FILEZ and were cluttering every forum with purestrain stupidity.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

Gallow posted:

I think another reason for strict posting regs in the past was because of the massive influx of new posters who just came for the FILEZ and were cluttering every forum with purestrain stupidity.

Getting rid of filez and dpph took care of a lot of that, but there was also a general rush because the internet itself was really taking off then. There were a lot of new people everywhere as everyone and their grandma got online. Plus stuff like AYB or the "found a camera in the woods" thread that got popular elsewhere would bring in a wave of new regs. A lot of them were used to Myspace and Livejournal and crap like that and had to get beaten with the "how to post" stick at first.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Over There posted:

:chillout:

Is BYOB the same way it used to be?

For the most part it is. It was kinda seen as "FYAD Lite" when it was first created, and was largely thought to be a temporary thing (I think it actually did get closed down for a while). I'm glad it's stuck around though. :) It kinda reminds me of FYAD circa 03/04 humor-wise.

Gallow posted:

:filez: Man, there was at least 2-5 bannings a day for guys who would register and immediately start a "WHERE DA FILEZ AT?!" thread in GBS.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
What does :prepop: mean? Is it saying something is almost amazing, or what?

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The GBS OSHA thread recently birthed a very cool new smilie

:nfpa:

This is the hip way to vote 5 now FYI.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Over There posted:

What does :prepop: mean? Is it saying something is almost amazing, or what?

anticipation right?
it's about to be crazy but right now we're in hang time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Cubone posted:

anticipation right?
it's about to be crazy but right now we're in hang time

Oh that makes a lot more sense thank you

• Locked thread