Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Animatrix was pretty good. I liked the one about the athlete who got so high and was so good at running, he broke Matrix. And the one about how machines did nothing wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Kazak posted:

I saw one in theaters before a movie with my dad and it's the cg short where the characters slice each other's clothes off in the dojo
"Final Flight of the Osiris" btw

Colonel Cancer posted:

Animatrix was pretty good. I liked the one about the athlete who got so high and was so good at running, he broke Matrix. And the one about how machines did nothing wrong.
"World Record" and "Second Renaissance" parts 1 & 2

Second Renaissance is kind of nuts because it's almost its own complete movie?
idk it feels more like watching Heavy Metal or something than watching any of the other segments

funny, the ones I remember everybody liking back in the day were "Kid's Story", the blurry one about the cool skateboarding kid escaping The Highschool Matrix, and "Detective Story", the b&w noir pastiche from the guy that made Cowboy Bebop

and uh for completion's sake the last one is "Program", the one nobody remembers that was a samurai-themed video game fight that turned into... like a lover's spat/murder suicide?

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

The matrix glitch haunted house and the detective potboiler shorts were really good supplements to the matrix universe. Also really dug the sprinter's story as a self contained almost-neo tale.

Second Renaissance is just, like, too real, man

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Colonel Cancer posted:

Wasn't it Animatrix that came up with the idea that really the Matrix was nothing as dumb as making people into really inefficient CPUs or 9V batteries but coming up with the only possible peaceful solution to deal with an rear end in a top hat race like humans? Like the only reason the machines didn't just genocide people outright or stuck them in cages after winning the war was because they are an inherently sympathetic species and even tried to build a paradise that the humans then kept loving up. Makes sense Zion would come up with some nonsense living battery explanation instead for propaganda reasons.

Cypher did nothing wrong.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

BioMe posted:

Wasn't it Animatrix that came up with the idea that really the Matrix was nothing as dumb as making people into really inefficient CPUs or 9V batteries but coming up with the only possible peaceful solution to deal with an rear end in a top hat race like humans? Like the only reason the machines didn't just genocide people outright or stuck them in cages after winning the war was because they are an inherently sympathetic species and even tried to build a paradise that the humans then kept loving up. Makes sense Zion would come up with some nonsense living battery explanation instead for propaganda reasons.

cypher was a loving rear end in a top hat t:mad:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

BioMe posted:

I think Agent Smith floated that idea during the Morpheus interrogation scene in the first movie but yeah I'm with you 100%.

The sequels kind of dumbed down the whole premise.

I remember another segment from Animatrix where they capture a robot and try to befriend it by playing around in virtual reality. It was pretty trippy.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
in the remake, keanu should play young keanu

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Nah Keanu plays Morpheus and Neo is black.
gently caress it make it a callback to that Reloaded architect scene where he says that it's like the 20th iteration of the human revolution led by a chosen one.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Colonel Cancer posted:

Nah Keanu plays Morpheus and Neo is black.
gently caress it make it a callback to that Reloaded architect scene where he says that it's like the 20th iteration of the human revolution led by a chosen one.

That one bit of plot gives them unlimited remake opportunities, kind of like how they were able to reboot X-Men using time travel.

Cubone posted:

"Final Flight of the Osiris"

and uh for completion's sake the last one is "Program", the one nobody remembers that was a samurai-themed video game fight that turned into... like a lover's spat/murder suicide?

Final Flight had better CGI than the second movie :smith:

Program was my favourite for a while. The pacing of the action and the art style are really well done. They aren't actually in the matrix so it's more like an exploration of virtual reality. It ended up being a test to see if a crew member would defect back to the matrix or fight to the death if they appeared to have no other choice.

e: This isn't the whole thing but it's basically all the stuff that matters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZn19SDs0mE

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 1, 2019

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
I thought the wachoski brothers were those bsdm people that were so up themselves into it that they BECAME the women with dicks?:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
strongly resisting the urge to rank the fuckability of persons associated with the matrix franchise

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

lol but seriously I posted:

strongly resisting the urge to rank the fuckability of persons associated with the matrix franchise

albino dreadlock ghost twins, go

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Remake thoughts:

-There will be no really hyped The One prophecy, but their will be more a legend/hope.
-There will be a Neo. Morpheus will now be Orpheus. Trinity will be replaced by a character called Electra.
-The insane twist will be the Orpheus, Neo and Electra will realize, "No, we as a GROUP are THE ONE! O. N. E.!"
-The 'waking up to the truth' will have our lead Neo character wake up in the body of a 20 something black guy, confused by this turn after we've spent the first 20 minutes of the movie with him as generic white guy.
-The further reveal is that now that Neo is aware of his real identity, his RSI in the Matrix will maintain this new form. His old identity as Anderson can now no longer exist, he's effectively a non-entity in the Matrix in this new form.
-The Matrix itself will be extremely sci-fi, representing a 'fantasy version' of humanity's civilization at it's peak, full of flying cars and flying ships that look like the Nebacenezzer from the original Matrix as a nod.
-The 'real world' will be more a lovely, bombed out city wreck rather than tunnels and cloudy skies.
-Zion is now in China, it is now called Jia-Ong.
-Orpheus will be played by Chris Pratt or Liam Neeson.
-Smith will be specifically racist, but one of the other agents will actually be in love with Trinity/Electra against his programming.
-The Matrix will turn out to be alien exploration probe trying to terraform Earth.

Those seem like enough bad ideas .

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Sentinel Red posted:

How likely is a remake/reboot anyway? Didn’t the Wachowskis get a sweet deal like Bob Gale & Robert Zemeckis did on BBtF that means the studio can’t do jack poo poo unless they approve it?*

I could see the Wachowskis giving up their Matrix approval rights in exchange for percents of profits of any new Matrix project and/or a promise of studio funding some of their future non-Matrix projects. To them, THAT might be more important down the road than constantly hoping to get some ever diminishing money off a franchise that is no longer selling much of any merch or movies.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Cubone posted:

Second Renaissance is kind of nuts because it's almost its own complete movie?
idk it feels more like watching Heavy Metal or something than watching any of the other segments

Second Renaissance is incredible and horrifying.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Jaden Smith plays Neo

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Kazak posted:

Second Renaissance is incredible and horrifying.

Oh man, the imagery they came up with for that was the worst/best kind of unnerving.

When I was a kid the very concept of the Matrix scared the life out of me, the Second Renaissance played into that well.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Jaden Smith plays Neo

Honestly, I think they'd do that.

Also, in this version of the Matrix, everyone goes around not in black latex and trenchcoats, but dressed up like Fortnite characters and new Trinity becomes "Trin!corn", wearing a helmet with three pink spikes sticking out of it and constantly talks in meme-worthy dialog and moonwalks into action scenes to shoot people.

edit: The Agents use poo poo-talking and cyberbullying to emotionally disrupt the mental condition of free minds. Neo's trash talking is off the charts, he's like some sort of soundboard that is just non-stop with slurs that gets under the programs' skins.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Wasnt that just ready player one? Mind you I didn't watch it.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Probably. In the end, though, the final shot of the trilogy of NuMatrix will be 4 dorky teenagers in the 1980s in a basement playing a fictional cyberpunk tabletop RPG called "The Matrix".

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

You know 90s nostalgia is next and it's going to suck rear end

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Imagine looking back to a sweaty stinky industrial rave and being like ,"yeah this poo poo is cool".

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Cubone posted:

the pre-Paul Greengrass fight cinematography

like how the subjects are mostly kept in a medium shot near the center of the frame, even as the camera moves?
fight scenes look more like this now:

with a lot of rapid cutting to close inserts for every important action
these examples dont convey to me what they say i should be seeing
the matrix did have long smooth action takes but it wasnt because it was the style of the time. it needed long smooth takes throughout the fight scenes because that would flow better with the specific sections where they wanted to showcase the bullet time effect
quick lazy cuts stitched together in editing were as normal as anything. like gladiator from the next year had supposedly great fight scenes but i found the nonstop quick takes jarring even at the time

it actually serves a purpose in the civil war scene there because there is a prop the audience has to be introduced to and then dealt with somewhat separate from the rest of the fight (since it stands to be an instant loss for the protagonist if he cant beat it)

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Matrix 2022 will have everyone already using traditional Matrix-tech to go into a VR Matrix world as the ultimate alternate reality thrill. However, our hero gets sent to a mental institution for people suffering from "Disconnected Reality Syndrome". DRS is a mental illness that people logging into the Matrix suffer that makes them think their 'reality' is just another Matrix they're trapped in.

Turns out, this IS the case and Neo is rescued and discovers that 99% of humanity is locked into perpetually VR slavery from birth in order to act as living CPUs, Batteries, Storage, and organ banks for the luxury life of the 1% who get to live in a real tangible world of even more fantastic wonders.

Film 2 flips this around to discover the 1% Matrix itself is just a sub-Matrix that should only be accessible to people using the VR Matrix of the 99% Matrix.

Film 3 is them delving deeper to discover the Matrix is working in reverse of how they thought. The 99% Matrix is actually the deepest fake reality out there. People who got bored with the VR Matrix made it to have the stress and challenge of the 'real', while the VR Matrix itselfs was created as escapist fantasy for the 1% Matrix to have fun adventures. Meanwhile, the 1% Matrix was made to accommodate a human population in desperate need of escapist pleasure and excess. Finally breaking through they discover the existence of the Survival Matrix, which has been hundreds of thousands of humans being kept alive via machines and in forced to live nothing but a a state of constant near-death moments in order to force their brains to generate a collective state of an image of a paradise (the 1% Matrix).

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Minor correction for The Matrix 2022 starring Jaden Smith: this time humans aren’t being used for batteries, machines are using our brains as CPUs to mine bitcoin

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Minor correction for The Matrix 2022 starring Jaden Smith: this time humans aren’t being used for batteries, machines are using our brains as CPUs to mine bitcoin

What if there was a Bitcoin War and it's not machines locking people up into the Matrix, it's other humans. Like one Bitcoiner discovered the secret of harvesting human beings to mine for coin and soon there were Coin Gangs breaking into homes, kidnapping people, even Bittroopers having full on wars where they were capturing populations to trap them into mining operations.

Then they all turned on one another, and the last stage of this war is using human beings brains to try to break the encryption on captured Bitcoin Leaders to finally loot their treasuries of every last coin.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I think Inception already fills the role of Matrix Rebooted - Noirish atmosphere, questioning reality, action scenes with crazy stuff you can't do in real life, dream defense agents, gratuitous slowmo, people working together inside and outside of reality.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Kinda makes you wonder why there was never a sequel. Inception could be milked for at least 5 films, just look at the Pirates of the Caribeean!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I think possibly a big reason there never felt like a demand for an Inception sequel was just that the main story started and ended. There never felt like there was some lingering evil force that still needed stopped or some higher stakes at play.

I guess you could do something similar to the original film if you changed the goal of the mission to be dramatically different from the original. One of the only I can even think of is a movie about people who are sent in to someone's mind to make them intentionally corrupt or forget a memory rather than stealing or implanting thoughts/memories/ideas. Lots of ways you can play that.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Colonel Cancer posted:

Kinda makes you wonder why there was never a sequel. Inception could be milked for at least 5 films, just look at the Pirates of the Caribeean!
I feel like they kind of did everything they could with the premise

not that that stopped Pirates of the Caribbean

e:

JediTalentAgent posted:

I guess you could do something similar to the original film if you changed the goal of the mission to be dramatically different from the original. One of the only I can even think of is a movie about people who are sent in to someone's mind to make them intentionally corrupt or forget a memory rather than stealing or implanting thoughts/memories/ideas. Lots of ways you can play that.

HOLY poo poo THEY SHOULD RIP OFF PSYCHONAUTS THAT WOULD BE RAD AS HELL

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

It's basically a perfect heist movie setting that offers far more creative freedom with regards to the sets than usual.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Cubone posted:

I feel like they kind of did everything they could with the premise

Eh, I liked Inception, but I was pretty disappointed with how boring the dream sequences were. I wouldn't mind another movie with the same premise but more interesting dream poo poo.

The Cell is the superior "people going into someone's mind" movie.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Paprika had basically the same premise as Inception but it was a filthy animay. Some dream scenes were ridiculously trippy though.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
So Matrix 2022 ripping it off would be continuing the trend set forth by Matrix 1999.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Colonel Cancer posted:

Instead of a pill, it will be a vape.

Do you vape or do you weed? Im guessing weed is staying in the matrix cuz reasons.

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018

Colonel Cancer posted:

Paprika had basically the same premise as Inception but it was a filthy animay. Some dream scenes were ridiculously trippy though.

Paprika is world class animation, not anime.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Tip posted:

Eh, I liked Inception, but I was pretty disappointed with how boring the dream sequences were. I wouldn't mind another movie with the same premise but more interesting dream poo poo.

The Cell is the superior "people going into someone's mind" movie.

In fairness to it, most people’s dreams are largely mundane, so it was just staying true to life for the most part. A cursory glance through the various Goon Dreams threads backs it up, it’s rare things ever go all Dark Dimension in there, more like ‘I missed a train and had a conversation with my neighbour’s cat, who told me to pack the books away’ poo poo.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
To jon Nolan, hiding in the deepest animal depths of the dreamer's subconscious is... A concrete blockhouse in a barren arctic wasteland. What?

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

To jon Nolan, hiding in the deepest animal depths of the dreamer's subconscious is... A concrete blockhouse in a barren arctic wasteland. What?

With army guys! Lots of army guys everywhere! *PEW* *PEW* *KAPOW*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The again, in light of his other works, im willing to believe that that's what Nolan's actual subconscious looks like because 🚂