Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Literally A Person posted:

Thus making you an idiot.

Sociologically if god doesn't exist then please explain how it is holy wars came about. Please also explain how there are millions upon millions of people who believe in it. What you're saying is akin to saying that race isn't real despite the fact that it's routinely used as a categorical distinction everyday.
yeah, i agree, god is a great excuse sociological excuse to wipe out opposing ideologies or people groups, same as race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Collapsing Farts posted:

How come Americans stayed so religious but enlightened and superior countries in Scandinavia stopped caring about god altogether?

In Scandinavia the idea is that even if everything goes to poo poo for you, you can always find help from something real, e.g. a government institution, or your neighbors, or just about anyone. When your material anxieties are addressed, it turns out people generally don't have a need for religion.

In America however, it's the opposite. The smallest thing can ruin you at any time and everyone's out to get you. Within 5 seconds of stubbing your toe, you will be rendered bankrupt and homeless by the medical institutions, then you'll be beaten up for being a gross hobo, and people are so scared of each other they carry military grade nuclear weapons with them at all times. So people pray, to feel like someone has their back, or at least feel the hope that it may be so. This is why it is "the opiate of the masses": A painkiller; the heart in a heartless world. Of course, these days it seems drugs and actual opioids are the preferred opiate of the masses to cope with everyday life.

Religion has the added disadvantage that it comes with a framework that's designed to make sure people do nothing to change the underlying causes of their misery. It is to be blamed on the imperfect nature of man, greed, or the will of god, or any number of wrong or superficial things.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
god says holy wars are actually bad

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Where is my God now?

Erak_Erakson
Mar 11, 2011
you, a christian simpleton: Jesus died for our sins

me, a gnostic intellectual: Judas did nothing wrong

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

The Cockler posted:

yeah, i agree, god is a great excuse sociological excuse to wipe out opposing ideologies or people groups, same as race

Not a great excuse, or really even an excuse. Just an explanation. I mean, believe me, I wish it wasn't but :shrug:

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
i like shrugging off my personal agency because i refuse to accept that i'm actually not important at all, and that i, in fact, will not be given a universe to rule over so long as i don't butt-chug triplesec before noon.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

unpleasantly turgid posted:

i like shrugging off my personal agency because i refuse to accept that i'm actually not important at all, and that i, in fact, will not be given a universe to rule over so long as i don't butt-chug triplesec before noon.

There is a simple solution to your problem.

Start a cult.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

Literally A Person posted:

There is a simple solution to your problem.

Start a cult.

the LDS faith already exists

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

unpleasantly turgid posted:

I think the best way to shake someone out of this poor persons mindset is to surround them with people infinitely more succesful in all aspects of life than them until their brain buckles under the weight of the shame of being permanently lesser

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn7QvnhJgeA

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

The Cockler posted:

I think the best way to shake someone out of this poor persons mindset is to surround them with people infinitely more succesful in all aspects of life than them until their brain buckles under the weight of the shame of being permanently lesser

What better way than providing them with a god who is infinitely more powerful and important and literally made you out of dust!?

Dogthing
May 30, 2003

or is it.... just a dog??
Grimey Drawer
if there is a god it's evil af and we should be looking for a way to kill it

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I already killed it with FACTS and LOGIC

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
My favorite God things:

God is kind and loving beyond all measure.
But the world loving sucks for drat near every one and terrible poo poo happens constantly, how can God be kind and loving??

Because God says he is.

Humans have free will and can choose to love God or not, it's completely up to them.

But if you choose not to..

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010
God very personally hates me.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

What if mankind (in general not the wrestler) are just like unruly children unable to appreciate the ultimate wisdom and benevolence of God? :350:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
That would make God a bad parent.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Gaunab posted:

Also not a great housekeeper.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Gaunab posted:

Children can't judge parents well, only other parents can.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

humans do tend to think of god from the perspective of a very young child thinking about their parents. see the 'omnibenevolent, omnipotent, omniscient' thing. also consider they hyperbolic fear men have of gods anger over things that god would find at most a bit irksome. its cliche, but humans have crafted their image of god around their own image of self. mean and frightened people imagine a god who is mean and wrathful. we think god loves us and hates our sin, but god made us this way - very likely god actually enjoys and appreciates the incredible variety of bizarre stuff we do.

the real key to understanding god is to think of how the relationship would look from gods eyes. think of a person with an ant farm (or playing dwarf fortress). is the person here 'all powerful'? from the perspective of the ant sure they have power that cant be distinguished from infinite, but they cant change anything and everything. is the person here all knowing? again the same. is the person here all loving? probably not, even if they care about the ant farm a great deal and wish it well. more important to god than the ants themselves is the experience of the ant-world that god has crafted. would you reprogram dwarf fortress in the middle of the game because one of the dwarves flooded the fortress with lava, or would you excitedly wait to see what comes of it?

god is here for a show, and the show the ant farm puts on depends on the ants misery as well as their joy. this is the same reason adult humans watch lord of the rings more than barney the dinosaur. good stories necessarily involve bad things happening and certain types of triumph are only possible in the face of adversity.

the world is a wheat field, and the stories of our lives are gods harvest. do your best to live a life thats notable to god in one way or another.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

God is definitely a big bearded white guy who sits on a throne all day and passes judgment on us.

We were created in His image and His image is a pissed off white guy in a motorized scooter trying to get extra curly fries at Arby's.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

it is a vision humans created

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

Ocean Book posted:

humans do tend to think of god from the perspective of a very young child thinking about their parents. see the 'omnibenevolent, omnipotent, omniscient' thing. also consider they hyperbolic fear men have of gods anger over things that god would find at most a bit irksome. its cliche, but humans have crafted their image of god around their own image of self. mean and frightened people imagine a god who is mean and wrathful. we think god loves us and hates our sin, but god made us this way - very likely god actually enjoys and appreciates the incredible variety of bizarre stuff we do.

the real key to understanding god is to think of how the relationship would look from gods eyes. think of a person with an ant farm (or playing dwarf fortress). is the person here 'all powerful'? from the perspective of the ant sure they have power that cant be distinguished from infinite, but they cant change anything and everything. is the person here all knowing? again the same. is the person here all loving? probably not, even if they care about the ant farm a great deal and wish it well. more important to god than the ants themselves is the experience of the ant-world that god has crafted. would you reprogram dwarf fortress in the middle of the game because one of the dwarves flooded the fortress with lava, or would you excitedly wait to see what comes of it?

god is here for a show, and the show the ant farm puts on depends on the ants misery as well as their joy. this is the same reason adult humans watch lord of the rings more than barney the dinosaur. good stories necessarily involve bad things happening and certain types of triumph are only possible in the face of adversity.

the world is a wheat field, and the stories of our lives are gods harvest. do your best to live a life thats notable to god in one way or another.

I too believe that God is a lovecraftian old one who created us for it's own amusement/consumption.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

are there any other sensible reasons why a world would be intentionally created?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Ocean Book posted:

are there any other sensible reasons why a world would be intentionally created?

To praise god.

Maroon!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Ocean Book posted:

God is basically a big mildly autistic middle aged guy and we're his train set. He's fascinated by us but unable to articulate exactly why. Also his wife hates us and keeps trying to throw us out.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

What if the devil... Is gods wife!! They are having a bit of a rough patch.

Take that catholics.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

another good god-theory is that yahweh is actually the creator of the world, and he really was as poo poo and childish as the old testament implies, but then when he got older he realized what a poo poo world he had created so he incarnated himself as jesus christ and literally died on the cross in an effort to make the world better in a grand suicidal adolescent token gesture. it didnt work and now were stuck alone in the rotting corpse of this abandoned world until we die or become gods ourselves.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Uh this doesn't take into account the Jesus sequel, who'll be coming round any century now. The Phantom Savior.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I've been daring god to smash me for decades and he hasn't done poo poo.

If he's there, he's a little piss baby.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

An immortal being doesn't have the same perception of time a gnat like you might.

Maybe 30 years from now a semi driver lets Jesus take the wheel and you'll get what you ask for :shrug:

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010
I punched god in the mouth as a kid once.

I'm gay now.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I only like him as a friend

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

God made us real good at masturbating, so we should go with that for the next 70 or 80 years

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Being serious for once, I don't understand people that are LGBT but still actively go to Christian churches and not something like UU. Like, the church hates our loving guts. Why would you support them?

And yeah, yeah, maybe the one specific church you go to is "progressive", but it's still part of a larger organization that wants us to A) not exist, and barring that B) be second class people.

Methodists just had a vote on whether or not gay people should be treated as people and, shockingly, they told queers to go die in a gutter. And it's not like any other large denomination is doing any better.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

Had to put my cat down recently. No just God would allow that to happen.

Just pick it back up if you want, God doesn't have any rules about holding cats

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Being serious for once, I don't understand people that are LGBT but still actively go to Christian churches and not something like UU. Like, the church hates our loving guts. Why would you support them?

And yeah, yeah, maybe the one specific church you go to is "progressive", but it's still part of a larger organization that wants us to A) not exist, and barring that B) be second class people.

Methodists just had a vote on whether or not gay people should be treated as people and, shockingly, they told queers to go die in a gutter. And it's not like any other large denomination is doing any better.
religion is 99% upbringing/culture and people will abandon morality before that any day. some people don't even see it as something they can choose.

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Saint Drogo posted:

religion is 99% upbringing/culture and people will abandon morality before that any day. some people don't even see it as something they can choose.

It's really no different from an abused housewife saying "well if I don't do this he won't hurt me!"