Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I would guess all the EU writers proper were under a boilerplate contract. Foster predated all that so his situation is probably unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Disco Pope posted:

I remember reading it as a kid and being insulted by how boring it was and how little Star Warsing took place.

What precisely is 'Star Warsing'?

If it's what I think it is (epic ship stuff and adventure things like Solo's train robbery which is the first thing to come to mind), that ironically is not stuff that translates super well to the written word.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cornwind Evil posted:

What precisely is 'Star Warsing'?

If it's what I think it is (epic ship stuff and adventure things like Solo's train robbery which is the first thing to come to mind), that ironically is not stuff that translates super well to the written word.

I got Star Warsed once. It loving sucked.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Jedi Prince is goddawful, and if I'm honest with myself doesn't have enough batshit crazy to make up for it (as much as I love Robo-Leia)

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

Jedi Prince is goddawful, and if I'm honest with myself doesn't have enough batshit crazy to make up for it (as much as I love Robo-Leia)

Shame about Disney's movie adaptations somehow being even worse

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I am just so tired of all this star warsing

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Everyone who says something other then the Star Wars Galaxies MMO tie in novel is wrong.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Which was the one where someone wanted to call someone else a liar so they shot a yellow paintball at him? Was it the triclops one?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Asterite34 posted:

Shame about Disney's movie adaptations somehow being even worse

I love that The Rise of Skywalker (and by extension the preceding two movies) are straight up an adaptation of the Jedi Prince books. Emperor Palpatine's force prodigy grandchild goes on a galaxy-spanning adventure with members of the Original Trilogy's cast to find a bunch of Things You Might Remember From Star Wars in order to defeat a guy who really wants to be Darth Vader to a sad degree, and halfway through the final entry there is a literal Mofference.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

I love that The Rise of Skywalker (and by extension the preceding two movies) are straight up an adaptation of the Jedi Prince books. Emperor Palpatine's force prodigy grandchild goes on a galaxy-spanning adventure with members of the Original Trilogy's cast to find a bunch of Things You Might Remember From Star Wars in order to defeat a guy who really wants to be Darth Vader to a sad degree, and halfway through the final entry there is a literal Mofference.

The sequel trilogy is more or less a remix of Star Wars and nothing new whatsoever

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
All the Young Jedi books (KJA & his wife)
Book 4: Lightsabers is one that stands out in my memory. A friend of the Solo children rushes making a lightsaber (they need to make them to fight the dark jedi academy) and consequently blows off her hand and the rest of the book is her learning to deal with it

Another bad Star Wars book memory is from SotE and all I can remember about that book, Xizor wanted to acquire Leia's nudes really badly

Edit: ffs

https://imgur.com/LJMOFzr

Sixfools fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 24, 2020

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Sixfools posted:

Another bad Star Wars book memory is from SotE and all I can remember about that book, Xizor wanted to acquire Leia's nudes really badly

Edit: ffs

https://imgur.com/LJMOFzr

My recollection is him choosing not to use his camera on her while she was changing, trusting his rape-pheromones would get him the goods later.

I don’t know which is worse tbh

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

The worst is that a species of sentient rape lizards ever existed at all are still canon.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Losing a hand isn't as big a deal when you can get a robot hand grafted on. Tenel Ka just decides not to get a robot had for reasons. Something about her family and choosing not-civilization. I feel like either her origins were in a different book or I skimmed over it, because even at the time I didn't really feel like I had context for anything.

Star Wars books were an important part of my development as a reader, and I was looking through a bookcase full of my childhood books, and I started with the Jedi Apprentice series which I remember pretty fondly, it revolved around Qui-Gon as a weird jerk mentor who can't fully trust Obi-Wan because his last apprentice went rogue, and then there was the Junior Jedi series, which was less dramatic, kinda dumb, about on the level of the magic treehouse books. I don't think it was even canon in the EU, Jacen and Jaina find like an ancient squirrel jedi master who was in some kind of deep sleep from long before the purges, and I don't think he shows up later. The Young Jedi books were a step up in reading level, but even at the time I remember feeling they were kinda stupid. I liked it better when I moved onto the books about adults.

Oh dang, Otto and Uncle Tooth, those books were great.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Losing a hand isn't as big a deal when you can get a robot hand grafted on. Tenel Ka just decides not to get a robot had for reasons. Something about her family and choosing not-civilization. I feel like either her origins were in a different book or I skimmed over it, because even at the time I didn't really feel like I had context for anything.

Rejecting easy, magic medical care is a writer's shortcut to "character development" (see also: the cocky, handsome guy in the NJO series who refused to use a scar-free bacta bandage after having his face sliced open by a Yuuzhan Vong in a fight, so the easily-preventable disfigurement would remind him to be humble.)

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Does anyone have a link to that old thread on SA that recapped those kids books with triclops and poo poo? I had a tab open for a while where I was reading through it, but i lost it

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

My recollection is him choosing not to use his camera on her while she was changing, trusting his rape-pheromones would get him the goods later.

I think you're right

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah they spend the book going back to her homeworld where she is a princess and the kids stop an assassination plot. I think she ends up making a lightsaber handle out of a Rancor tooth (or was that the one that explodes?).

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Admiral Daala just yeeting away star destroyers left and right was hilarious and it should be the next Disney movie.

Also make a movie about Hoar the tusken raider? (Pig guard thing? I forgot which one) from that playstation fighting game. (Which is now canon)

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Admiral Daala just yeeting away star destroyers left and right was hilarious and it should be the next Disney movie.

Also make a movie about Hoar the tusken raider? (Pig guard thing? I forgot which one) from that playstation fighting game. (Which is now canon)

Hoar whas the Tusken, Thok was the pig guard.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Fuckin' space racists calling him a pig man, he's a Gamorrean. What's next, calling Salacious Crumb a "rat-looking fucker"? Jeez.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Woebin posted:

What's next, calling Salacious Crumb a "rat-looking fucker"? Jeez.

In The Mandolorian, he's known as "lunch".

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

For me, it's the Dark Nest trilogy by Troy Denning, and I'll expain why in a very roundabout way.

I have super fond memories of the Young Jedi Knights books, and, for that reason, I have deliberately gone out of my way to not reread them.

I mean, I know they're poo poo. They were written by Kevin J. Anderson, who, to put it delicately, is no James Joyce or Thomas Pynchon. He's barely a Terrance Dicks. I'm positive if I reread them today, I could tear them apart, noticing all sorts of dumb plot inconsistancies, weird thematic baggage, stupid fetish stuff, bad word choices on a sentence by sentence level... But I just really don't want to.

Send yourself back to 1995. Ten year old Toph has just returned from the public library with a new Star Wars book. And, unlike the Timothy Zahn and Dave Wolverton and Kathy Tyers, this one is actually a lot easier to read, make sense of, and enjoy. Now, I don't understand what a bad book is yet, and, while I enjoyed the other Star Wars novels available insofar as I could relate to intergalactic politics, parenthood, romance, being cloned and killed thousands of times, etc., this one is about kids only a little older than me, rather than people in their 40s, with the occasional scene featuring five year olds. They're having problems with school, their peers, not being taken seriously by authority figures... Much more relatable problems, alongside Star Wars space fights and laser sword battles. I am hooked. I eagerly await the library getting new volumes.

And there's plenty of other stuff in there as well: Jacen is good with plants and animals, even though he's a boy. Jaina loves working with machines, even though she's a girl. Tenel Ka loses a hand but doesn't let this stop her from being just as good at things as her friends. Lowbacca can be a jedi, even though he's a wookie, and people should probably learn to speak wookie so he doesn't have to rely on his translator droid. Raynar ends up not being as big a jerk as everyone thought. Zekk can be a jedi even though he's poor and angry and makes mistakes (including nearly falling to the Dark Side!).

It's Burger King Kids Club stuff, I know. But like I said, I was ten when I started reading these. You don't know poo poo when you're ten, and stuff like "It's okay to like what you like, regardless of gender" and "You can come back from your mistakes and/or try something different. Failure isn't the end of the world" was really nice to hear. It was also nice seeing adults give a poo poo in a way that just didn't happen much for me growing up. It was a nice, safe world to disappear into while my parents fought with one another downstairs and I tried to forget being bullied at school.

This is why the Dark Nest trilogy bothered me so much. It was, quite literally, taking a beloved piece of my childhood and trying to make it Adult. The infamous telepathic bug orgy isn't honestly that bad on the page (it happens off screen, Jaina and Zekk both wake up wearing clothes, just the two of them, etc.), but what with having Luke be a cruel and stubborn rear end in a top hat throughout, culminating with his expulsion of anyone from the Order who can't be a Jedi full time and constantly act as a space knight, which was a pretty drastic change from the old books, where it was understood that things were going to come up and your friends would help you deal with them, and Jacen torturing Ta'a Chume, and basically replaying the events of Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith with Tenel Ka standing in for Padme... For all the dumb complaints people were making about the prequel movies raping their childhoods, well... :shrug:

It was 2005 by then and I was twenty, and everything else from my childhood was going either grim dark (comics, movies) or was utterly disappointing (the baseball steriod scandal), so this was really just par for the course: something that had a sort of charming innocence about its worldview had to be made adult and dark and serious so that the non-nerds would think we were cool. See, people are mean and they have sex! Everything is extra gory! That means it's better! I don't even remember being angry; just kinda sad that this was what Star Wars books were now. I think it was about a decade before I picked up another one.

And so, while I logically know that the Young Jedi Knights series is just dumb YA trash from right before YA became a thing, if I don't reread them, then they remain a kind of Schrodinger's book series to me: just as good as they are in my memories. And I like them that way. I don't need to try and recapture the way they felt when I was a kid; they couldn't possibly do that. They haven't changed, while I have. And that's okay.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's probably fine to appreciate the things you liked as a kid while knowing that as an adult you no longer have the patience to overlook their shortcomings. I still find it weird that I somehow never read most of the books where the EU as a whole went through its angsty phase. I guess by the time I was old enough that my mom wasn't doublechecking what I was reading, I had a gameboy that I could more reliably play on the bus despite the lighting conditions. Thanks Star Wars, for encouraging to read beyond my grade level. Now I've got Advance wars to play, I'll rediscover you later when I find an old copy of Kotor for $20.

It's also surprising that apparently despite the Yuzzhang Vong having such a big effect on the EU as a whole (or at least it seems like that from wikis and sourcebooks), absolutely nobody has made a bid to put them back in or allude to their existence in any way. It seems like nobody actually ever liked them.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Vong are too grisly and unpleasant for Disney's Star Wars. You can't have albino body mod addicts running around Galaxy's Edge, terrifying the nice Midwestern families there to buy $6 Coca-Colas in special spherical bottles.

Also they're really stupid.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

It seems like nobody actually ever liked them.

JethroMcB posted:

Also they're really stupid.

:hmmyes:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I think it's more than acceptable to enjoy genre fiction as long as one keeps in minds its limitations. I'm going through all the James Bond movies right now and while there isn't any such thing as a "good" James Bond movie on an absolute scale, most of them are enjoyable. The weird poo poo that goes on in these books is what makes them notable.

I'm probably not going to try and re-read Darksaber or anything, although I might be tempted if they release a digital omnibus edition of all the EU stuff. In my heart I will always have the visual of incompetent nanobots that build a superlaser that explodes itself on first ignition.

quote:

It's also surprising that apparently despite the Yuzzhang Vong having such a big effect on the EU as a whole (or at least it seems like that from wikis and sourcebooks), absolutely nobody has made a bid to put them back in or allude to their existence in any way. It seems like nobody actually ever liked them.

I think a lot of people started falling off the wagon by the time these guys were introduced. Most of the nostalgia in this thread seems to be going over stuff before all that was written. There was still EU stuff going on in the late 2000's at least, but I don't think many people are caught up on Darth Caedus from first-hand reading.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 8, 2020

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

There's also out of universe factors. Interest in the EU seem to drop off somewhat when the prequels came out, and they switched from telling kind of isolated stories that you could just pick up and read to a single series that you had to read all of in sequence, even if you didn't like that author.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I always felt like I quit before they showed up, except they were introduced in 1999 and I only started reading the books after episode 1 came out. I think I just only read books published before they became a thing. They're even in one of the essential guides that I read obsessively as a kid.

I also wrote a book report on Rogue Planet, which is a pretty boring book, not actually part of the Rogue Squadron series. It starts out with Obi-Wan scolding Anakin for secretly participating in underground races on Coruscant, they go to a weird planet where they get some fancy customized living grown for them, and something happens that threatens the planet so the planet reveals a massive hyperspace engine (not really that uncommon in the galaxy considering the Corellian system) and hosed off, leaving Anakin with a cool living ship that will slowly die without anybody to service it.

And later in wikipedia entries it says that the planet, Zonoma Sekot, is actually the child of the original Yuzzhang Vong's original home planet (they're living planets, y'see) before it was killed in a battle between droid empires of the Big Heap from one episode of Droids and the massive orb parents of Vuffi-Ra, Lando Calrissian's buddy. All the s&m juggalo stuff about the vong was because their planet god parent was dead, and when they found Zonoma Sekot they could live happily ever after and gently caress right back out of the galaxy never to be seen again.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Wait THAT was the end of their big story? They just leave?

Jesus christ

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
The Vong literally got the Poochie ending

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Defiance Industries posted:

Wait THAT was the end of their big story? They just leave?

Jesus christ

I think the comics set 100 years in the future showed some of them stuck around but yes, by and large the horrifying galaxy-devouring menace just leaves after the deaths of trillions.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Looked it up, it's even goofier. The remaining Vong resettled on Zonoma, which then just disappeared into the Unknown Regions. So they didn't even leave again, they just went to live on the side of the galaxy that nobody bothered to explore.

oh and the Bothans were so angry about Borsk's death that they sponsored missions into the Unknown Regions to find Zonoma and commit genocide

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I'd rather see Exar Kun and his hilariously tiny double-bladed lightsaber be re-canonized than the Vong.