Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Mordja posted:

I actually played a game last year, Ghost of Tale, that really captures the tone and overall "feel" of the books while very much forging its own identity. It's got a real quiet melancholy to it and I was shocked and how good its character writing was without devolving into "this ain't your dad's Redwall" grimdarkness.

Ghost of a Tale is very good and I would recommend it to anyone nostalgic for when they enjoyed Redwall, and who is OK with playing a stealth game. It hits the same aesthetic without being anything close to fanfiction, and has several memorable characters that I wish I could have seen more of. Just beware that it was created to set up its sequel, so the ending doesn't resolve the most important conflicts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I'm reading these with my 8 year old at the moment! We're up to and about three quarters of the way through Mariel of Redwall, which is the final one I read as a kid (around '91 when it came out) before moving on to other stuff. It's been good fun revisiting them, and we'll probably carry on past this one, as she is greatly enjoying them. On the feast descriptions referred to in this thread: she has commented a few times that they make her hungry. She has also noticed already that there is a certain formula to them, but it hasn't lessened her enjoyment at all.

I don't recognise the UK Mariel of Redwall cover posted earlier, and my cover of the original book is similar to the one posted in here, with a slightly different title font. Mossflower was the cover that drew me in to the series when I saw it in my school's library in around '90/'91. Something about the boat on a river covered by a canopy of vegetation made it look like a great adventurous yarn. My copy is the same. Anyway I took pictures for reference/shits and giggles:

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

the US vs British cover debate probably comes down to personal preference and nostalgia, in general I like the US covers better, there's something about the style and colors that reminds me of romantic or victorian art, and that in turn evokes England in a vague way for me. i do really like that uk mossflower cover tho

but check out these russian covers

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

jesus christ lol

they're great, but i wonder what a russian mole sounds like

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Bodyholes posted:

so what age were you when you noticed all the books had more or less the same plot?

mossflower was good though

and the one where they discover the ruins of kotir beneath redwall (was that marlfox? idk)

I can't believe that I remember this, but no, they rediscover Kotir ruins in The Long Patrol

Also, the Russian covers are now the best covers

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
those russian covers just set a whole different mood

so goddamn good so good

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That otter owns

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Russian rabbit obviously high on krokodil

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

jesus christ lol

they're great, but i wonder what a russian mole sounds like

They sound like a Ukrainian kulak that must be forced at knife point to reveal the location of their deeper 'n ever pie cellar to the rightful Red(wall) Army Feast Requisition squads

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
To this day I can recite the hotroot soup song from The Great Redwall Feast. It's terrifying.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
So if it's an abbey, do they actually pray or worship or anything

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
If they really delved too deep into actual religion, combined with their rampant speciesm, we might have seen actual genocide!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Asgerd posted:

So if it's an abbey, do they actually pray or worship or anything

Martin the Warrior is kinda looked at as a Fighting Saint but past that nah

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
They have an abbot/abbess and monks, it's not like Downton Abbey that has nothing to do with being an abbey anymore. But I don't think it ever got much into religion

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Who remembers the Deptford Mice books? Those were downright hosed up and ghoulish, the rats were basically cannibalistic Satan worshipers who regularly skin the good guy mice alive for fun.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Apart from the abbot they have names like Friar Hugo and Brother Hubert. Plus they're all about helping the needy, and practice strict non-violence except in self-defence, the latter of which may not exactly sum up religion, but does feel appropriate for inhabitants of an abbey. Never seen any mention of actual worship or deities though.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
tbh there being no religious overtones is a very good thing imo

Scruffyhawk
Jun 30, 2005

FHNNNNNNN
Ramrod XTreme
Was the abby mouse sized or were the mice human sized, or somewhere in between? Like if a human came in could you have just poo poo stomped the weird battle happening between mice and stoats or whatever?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I wonder if there were any parents that ended up naming their kids after Redwall characters. Like, is there an adult Log-a-Log wandering about somewhere

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I wonder if there were any parents that ended up naming their kids after Redwall characters. Like, is there an adult Log-a-Log wandering about somewhere

There's probably a couple unfortunate girls named Columbine out there. It's a pretty flower but... yeah.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just imagine being named Columbine Shooter.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Some ferrets hijacked two sparra and flew them into the bell towers

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Milo and POTUS posted:

Some ferrets hijacked two sparra and flew them into the bell towers

lol

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU