Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

naem posted:

this is gradually going to happen everywhere

probably not florida at this rate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

promising carl posted:

My first place in 2003 was 2 bed, 2 bath 700 sq ft for $600/mo (South Salt Lake).

Can't even find that in West Valley anymore

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

PTSDeedly Do posted:

yeah but on the other hand they get to not live in LA

This is a very good point.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

tango alpha delta posted:

IIRC, mormons are taught from a young age to be smart with money.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inve...51db_story.html

Mormon Church has misled members on $100 billion tax-exempt investment fund, whistleblower alleges

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
The mormons, taught about finances young, also molested young, married young, and women’s spirits die young

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Do it ironically posted:

The mormons, taught about finances young, also molested young, married young, and women’s spirits die young

Yes this. Holy poo poo back in my single days tinder was all "23, F, LDS, 5 kids, Jesus is my co pilot"

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Do it ironically posted:

mormon culture is seriously hosed up. If you get a few mormons into a room together and just sit there quietly, they start to talk like it's 18 loving 30 all over again and they are earth's last hope. It's ridiculous.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 2, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I grew up Mormon but lost interest in organized religion when I was 14. As a result, family members expressed to me that I didn't belong in the family any more. To a 14 year old.

This is the kind of thing you expect out of Scientology. Mormon culture is seriously hosed up.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Zesty posted:

I grew up Mormon but lost interest in organized religion when I was 14. As a result, family members expressed to me that I didn't belong in the family any more. To a 14 year old.

This is the kind of thing you expect out of Scientology. Mormon culture is seriously hosed up.

drat did you live in Utah, Idaho or some other Mormon-rich place?

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

Derpies posted:

I was renting a modest 1br with W/D in Boise for $550 in 2009. It runs almost $900 now when I look it up. No minimum wage increase over there.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Idiot Kicker posted:

I was renting a modest 1br with W/D in Boise for $550 in 2009. It runs almost $900 now when I look it up. No minimum wage increase over there.

Californians did it!!!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

promising carl posted:

drat did you live in Utah, Idaho or some other Mormon-rich place?

Nope. Lots of family in Utah related to those particular relatives though. I assume that's the case for most mormons in the US though?

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Zesty posted:

Nope. Lots of family in Utah related to those particular relatives though. I assume that's the case for most mormons in the US though?

Yes, probably. Just wondering because that toxic brand of mormonsim seems endemic to Utah. Sorry you had to go through that.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Idiot Kicker posted:

To be fair you can still get a poo poo room with terrible roomies for 300-500 bucks here, but that means living with just some god awful piece of poo poo people from Craigslist. Can't exactly have a family or be a non dirt bag anymore for under a grand + after utilities.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Mormons be fuckin

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Scott Cann got it

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/4b00df30-4119-43c4-876d-7e674a6923f2

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Remember the Fallout New Vegas DLC where they made a Mormon the white savior to a bunch of native american stereotypes? :what:

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Derpies posted:

I'm guessing you're implying West Valley is garbage. I grew up in West Valley. :(

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
My Mormon mom grew up with a "adopted" brother who was Navajo.

Back in the the day the church placed Navajo or other native Americans in "good" Mormon homes. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Placement_Program

quote:

In October 1960, Kimball discussed the program at the General Conference. He said that Natives who participated in the program were gradually turning lighter, becoming 'white and delightsome.'[10] "The day of the Lamanites is nigh," Kimball said, claiming that Navajo placement students were "as light as Anglos" and, in one case, several shades lighter than parents

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Was the it something in the funeral potatoes causing a skin allergy?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
More like Mor-ONS, amiright? Ha gottem!

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

I was looking at SLC on google maps one day and noticed this place: https://www.mysodalicious.com/

I guessed correctly that it's yet more weird mormon poo poo https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/bm33va/i-drank-down-utahs-dirty-soda-war

Anyone ITT ever get a 44oz diabetes bucket?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I did the tourist thing through southern Utah very recently and I was pointedly looking for a Sodalicious or similarly stupid soda shack but came up empty handed. I'm guessing they're more concentrated in the north of the state where people actually live.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
What does the media call a Mormon rioter?

A LUtah!

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

sounds like, "poo-pa"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Propaganda Machine posted:

I did the tourist thing through southern Utah very recently and I was pointedly looking for a Sodalicious or similarly stupid soda shack but came up empty handed. I'm guessing they're more concentrated in the north of the state where people actually live.

I'm sure there are several in St. George and Cedar City. Outside of those cities you're probably lucky to get a familiar chain restaurant.