Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

trip report
I ate the vegemite.

I also don't know how to describe it... need to try it a couple more times I think...hmmmm. anyway, pretty good!

gotta start with a pourover as always

I put a lot of butter... i used unsalted because i was going to add the vegemite

this is the wife's slice. she's a pro so she uses a lot more than me

brekki done

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass-penny

I participated in a snail mail thread back in 09 and I joined the current one in CC this summer.

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

this is legit makin me hungry and I wish I had more veggie-moite to repeat this tomorrow

one of the things that surprised me about the vegemite is that it isn't grainy, lumpy, or anything like that. i don't know why but I really did not expect it to have such an extremely smooth and homogenous texture

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
Doctor Dogballs has great presentation (I especially appreciate the touch of the genuine australian paw paw cream), and points for creativity with the strawberries! Not a combination I would think to try and I'm a long time miter!

5 out of Vegemite scones.

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Prof. Crocodile

ok i am finally ready to eat the vegemite.

i prepared some buttered normal toast (r) and some unbuttered vegan sprouted grain toast (l).

verdict: vegemite is pretty good. it has a very distinct flavor--i think miso is a good comparison--so a small amount is just perfect. i might not like it if i went "all in" as others have done itt. voted five for thread and for vegemite in general. would vegemite again--and I can because I think I have enough left for one more piece of toast tomorrow.

bonus: my vegemite also came with a coded message from chewbecca, and an amazing little book about rare and dangerous animals!

barnold

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
the barnold report

the envelope came and featured many exciting goodies, striahgt from australia. i think it's really neat to get stuff in the mail from another country. first of course, was the note from my friend chewbecca

yeah nah yeah nah, the note was written on one side of this ultra sick postcard featuring a shitload of melbournian trams. this is tight as gently caress because i think trams are cool, and there's no way chewb could have possibly known this. in addition i received a nice little booklet featuring a pirate. it has a little flipbook animation in the corner you can watch if you flick all the pages kinda fast. what a treat

i was prepared for veggiemite as soon as the seal on the envelope was busted. two slices of fresh toast, buttered classic style, hell yes

i don't know how well it comes across in the photo as i decided to do two different toasts with different densities of vegemite. one i tried to do similar to the photo that was posted in the thread, and the other i tried to go for a primetime slab layer across the whole thing. the butter on the toast made the center a little soft so my knife was having trouble getting spread all the way to the edge without leaving a massive glob in one place so i did what i could

I ate the first, lightly 'mited piece. first reaction: it's extremely good. it's savory, with what came across to me as a hint of molasses without the accompanying sweetness. it isn't as salty as people seem to always talk about when they first try it, but it is undoubtedly salty. as I continued to eat, it also kind of reminded me of a nice beef boullion, but not in a gross way. it's very unique, and WAY better than marmite. marmite is bullshit, vegemite is gang poo poo.

i was ready for the second slice. "i'm ready to eat this poo poo up" i said out loud as i dug in. i ate that poo poo up

as i came to the end of my second slice of that sweet sweet mite, i stopped to think about the experience. it was Insanely Good. to get a gift from the yobb, that i can also eat as a snack, well this is just fantastic. powerful blue forum, powerful orb posters imo. thanks 2 chewbecca and vanisher for arranging this whole deal. it loving owned :cabot:

and then as soon as it started, it was all gone....the toast, and the vegemite i put on it. but that wasnt the end of the story....you see, i still had half a container of that vegemite left even after those two toasts. so i packed that poo poo up and ate the rest of it on my toast today. how about that poo poo

verdict: it's goooooooooooooood

Chewbecca

Out of the gate Prof. Crocodile with the sensible spread of Vegemite. Also helps you conserve some for the future, so especially wise (and I wouldn't be surprised if Vegemite was like honey and could survive hundreds of years with no perceptible change). Every word perfection. Strewth! High Distinction!

My man barnold bringing the mite variations, as well as probably the lengthiest description of the taste so far! Crikey! And it's true that melbin trams own. There's golden manbabies all over this trip report!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Prof. Crocodile

thank you for doing this chewbecca!

this was thoughtful and generous, and helped broaden our horizons in a fun way. i think i can speak for all the yobbers itt when i say that we appreciate your sharing the salty sticky stuff with us.

i wish i could reciprocate by doing something fun for our eastern hemisphere goons, but the only distinctly american things i can think of are guns and eagles, and people get all bent out of shape if you try to post those. :sigh:

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
hear hear

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

It's there any no salt vegemite for those of us on a low sodium diet?

Manifisto

Prof. Crocodile posted:

thank you for doing this chewbecca!

this was thoughtful and generous, and helped broaden our horizons in a fun way. i think i can speak for all the yobbers itt when i say that we appreciate your sharing the salty sticky stuff with us.

i wish i could reciprocate by doing something fun for our eastern hemisphere goons, but the only distinctly american things i can think of are guns and eagles, and people get all bent out of shape if you try to post those. :sigh:

it's hard to think of distinctly american but regionally nonspecific stuff

hershey bars maybe, but a lot of people really dislike it for understandable reasons (it's made for american palates and has chemicals that people with other palates dislike)

regionally though . . .

like what about a can of moxie soda for example

ty nesamdoom!

Stoner Sloth

voting for chewbecca as the patron saint of vegemite (and all around forums good poster)

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Chewbecca

Thanks Prof. Crocodile and all you guys, you're all far too kind :blush: I'm glad you've enjoyed both the Vegemite and the experience! :3:

City of Glompton

Manifisto posted:

hershey bars maybe, but a lot of people really dislike it for understandable reasons (it's made for american palates and has chemicals that people with other palates dislike)

regionally though . . .

idaho spud bars :evilbuddy:

who am i kidding not even idahoans like them

Stoner Sloth posted:

voting for chewbecca as the patron saint of vegemite (and all around forums good poster)

:agreed:

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

more falafel please

forums poster

I need to get to a liquor store and get some mini bottles of Malort, but I'm not sure I can easily send them internationally

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Jinh

Manifisto posted:

regionally though . . .

my first thought was cheerwine soda, but apparently that's only a southern thing too.

did a google search and apparently stuff with peanut butter in general is tough to find outside the US. but i found this site which stocks US food specifically for AUS: htts://usafoods.com.au/pages/search-results-page?collection=candy
almost anything on this site would be absurdly easy to get at my local supermarket, especially the candy there.

also there's saltwater taffy (might be east coast regional)

Jinh fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 19, 2020

thanks so much cda <3

Leonyth
I can't believe no one thought to link the TV ad for vegemite. it just adds to the experience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_mV-7Ve3i8

more falafel please

forums poster

eating yeast definitely helps you release energy (through your butt) (with farts) (or as the Australians call them, jammy dodgers)

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Areola Grande

Leonyth posted:

I can't believe no one thought to link the TV ad for vegemite. it just adds to the experience.

there must be a way to make vegimite gravy

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Stoner Sloth

Leonyth posted:

:australia:

e: and i don't even like vegemite

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Chewbecca

prepuce repurposed posted:

there must be a way to make vegimite gravy

ask and ye shall receive

Chewbecca

Stoner Sloth posted:

:australia:

e: and i don't even like vegemite

:stare:

Stoner Sloth

i know right - i also don't like beer!

i can tolerate it in low doses done right and see the appeal but yeastiness hits me too hard i think

Leonyth

Stoner Sloth posted:

i know right - i also don't like beer!

i can tolerate it in low doses done right and see the appeal but yeastiness hits me too hard i think

I'm also no beer fan. i'd drink one if it was offered to me with no other option, but much prefer cider

vegemite on the other hand, is good stuff.

nut

Manifisto posted:

Heath Bars are American only, I think. Regardless, u should buy a lot of Heath bars (no, more than that) and send them to me

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
I think a bottle of old bay seasoning would be a good gift from America to the world

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Areola Grande

blaise rascal posted:

I think a bottle of old bay seasoning would be a good gift from America to the world

Old Bay™ owns! It's my favorite spice

Areola Grande

tf is a dessertspoon

Jinh

Old bay is a great idea!

Jinh

Got my package!

The vegemite was slightly compromised, looks like it got crushed a little in transit. only a small stain on the envelope, barely anything escaped containment.

Here's everything laid out

The "Poopy the Poopy Little Rabbit" booklet is stuffed with art like this on every page:

they did a lot with the small form factor!

I went ahead and took her advice on the poached egg. I haven't made one of these in a bit, but got it second try.

Used half of the packet for the toast, which i think was just right. The vegemite itself has a texture exactly like fudge, or a cornstarch-thickened chocolate syrup. it spreads real easy. it was surprisingly more mellow than i was expecting, i could have gone a little heavier without issue. I really thought i was gonna be all smug and have some great insight into the flavor because i like fermented stuff, but yeah that was totally indescribable aside from a really loud "yeast" and a tanginess. The aftertaste is even more weird, but not unpleasant. i was expecting like the natural yeast in a sourdough, mixed with a Better Than Bouillon vegetable broth taste. it definitely wasn't like that though. I keep coming back to "chocolate" but that's not right either, though it has that same kinda mouth-coating richness.

I also wanted to make this recipe from the website: https://vegemite.com.au/recipes/vegemite-2-minute-noodles/ so i whipped some up using some korean Samyang ramen.

Think I needed to add a little more vegemite to get the full effect in this dish, but i could still taste it a bit. it cuts through the spice and lends a fuller flavor on top of the instant ramen flavor packet. one of my friends said vegemite is great for broths and soups, and i'll back him up. i usually don't finish drinking ramen broth but did so happily here.

Thanks Chewbs! :cheersbird:

thanks so much cda <3

Prof. Crocodile

this is some A+ vegemiting imho

Chewbecca

Prof. Crocodile posted:

this is some A+ vegemiting imho

Agreed!

Jinh bringing home the high quality, dual recipe, mite application. I've had eggs on Vegemite toast infinite times but in ramen? That's new even for this Aussie. Truly outstanding. A stunning effort from J-dogg :discourse:

alnilam

this thread is inspiring me to give the 'mite another go, i feel like i may have overmited when i tried it before, as i spread it on like i would PB or jelly and hence couldn't see the toast behind the spread.

i think i know where i can get some here too

ty manifisto

barnold

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
the aftertaste of vegemite is not unlike the aftertaste of famous new england sody pop Moxie, which is often described as tasting like an old damp dusty basement.

I love Moxie, which probably contributes to my similar and newly founded love of Vegemite

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
It's here!

Zurtilik fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 21, 2020

Areola Grande

eat it :staredog:

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Glad I posted in such high res for all to see my gross giant mouse pad.

Jinh

its ok when i was taking pics i got crumbs all over the white plate, so i took the toast off and put it on the black towel to wipe the crumbs off the plate. not my smartest moment

thanks so much cda <3

Chewbecca

Zurtilik eat the

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Areola Grande

Chewbecca posted:

Zurtilik eat the

Zurtilik: :douche: