Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Welp im at the caffeine point where I could sleep and probably would panic if escitalopram didn't have some weird synergy that makes the anxiety stop at a certain point, realllly want to just walk out of work and buy a carton of beers and ciggies

Caffeine is not good for me, well not that it is bad but I abuse it and it doesn't make me feel good but im chasing some dragon to feel something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
The real danger of caffeine is your body constantly having its cortisol levels boosted so if you stress easy it really messes with you, and the possibility it causes adrenal fatigue

The devils dandruff is a fickle mistress

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Chinatown posted:

Going to drink so much caffeine today that I will be transfigured into a higher stare of being.

:hfive:

If I'm contemplating the ceiling tiles when my contact lenses dry up and fall out, they're easier to catch because they just kinda roll down my cheeks. Unlike, say, level-staring such as at my computer screen, when they fall out, bounce off the edge of the desk, and land on the grimy office carpet.

Reaching that level of staritude requires significant investment in coffee. There are a whole lotta lightweights in this thread, I'm in no danger of this kind of powerful staring until I've hit cup number 6 or 7. Or, as I call it, "about lunchtime on a weekday".

My peak was during fieldwork based at a research station in Churchill, Manitoba. To keep alert enough to work (staring at the ground, staring through a microscope) while also jumpy enough to see the bear before the bear gets too close (this is a safety issue in polar bear country*) I drank 8 16-ounce coffees per day, evenly spaced every hour or two from 8:00 am to 9:00 pm. The staff at the station showed me how to use the big coffee machine (open bag. pour into filter. put filter in drawer. push go) and I just went to town. These days I start with about 16 to 20 ounces (silly American system seems to work OK for this) at home, then add another 20-30 at work, maybe 3 out of 5 work days. On weekends, the same morning hit but very variable over the rest of the day. Some days, nothing more. Other days, a couple of large lattes to enjoy.

* Warning shots from a 12-gauge - ideally, a slug, they make the biggest bang - fired WELL TO THE SIDE OR OVER the bear can be comfortably managed at any alertness level from "fog and dream-scraps" through "unmedicated manic-depressive in manic phase" - I have seen it done at all those levels and more!

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

My wife makes the best caffeine where she grinds a ton of very powerful, oily Italian coffee fresh, shoves it into a very, very high PSI machine, and then runs it until an entire loving mug is filled. Then she refills and tops it up with a double shot just to make SURE you won't loving sleep for the next 24 hours. If you try to drink it anything other than black and unsweetened she will loving strike you down with the power of a million angry insomniacs.

Honestly, it's really loving good coffee.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

My brother and uncle used to smuggle people and poo poo over borders into countries where they didn't like freedom (it sounds backwards - but it was mostly journalists, satellite phones and newspapers) , but my uncle refused to do a flight if he wasn't smuggling something worthwhile (but also no drugs because he was catholic?), so I used to get a shitload of duty-free sacks of green coffee beans for like $5. I used to roast these fresh beans using a wok (which I DO NOT loving EVER RECOMMEND) then my wife would make coffee that would ulcerate every organ in your body and make you vibrate beyond the 5 visible dimensions.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

I mean, the wok thing is purely because it as messy as gently caress and all the little bits of bean-skin float off and sometimes go on fire. It's like your own personal caffeine Vesuvius, all with you getting buried in caffeine -ash gripping yo rod. But now I got a coffee-hookup with an artisanal coffee outlet who have one those giant-rear end industrial basket things that just does it for you. So I'm now involved in a morally-correct-but-technically-illegal caffeine trafficking route that involves a tiny loving Cessna plane illegally flying cross-border filled with guerrilla journalists then flying back with sacks of green coffee beans from some middle of nowhere which I then pass onto a company to launder my loving coffee beans for basically free, but I get a sack of the most amazing roast beans once a month then my wife fills me full of caffeine and I guess I'm trying to say maybe I have a loving problem at this point?

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
I feel like caffeine makes me feel bad but its also the only thing making me feel good

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

cynic posted:

maybe I have a loving problem at this point?

You do not. What you have is loving amazing. I want some of your coffee, complete with threats and ulcers.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

cynic posted:

I mean, the wok thing is purely because it as messy as gently caress and all the little bits of bean-skin float off and sometimes go on fire. It's like your own personal caffeine Vesuvius, all with you getting buried in caffeine -ash gripping yo rod. But now I got a coffee-hookup with an artisanal coffee outlet who have one those giant-rear end industrial basket things that just does it for you. So I'm now involved in a morally-correct-but-technically-illegal caffeine trafficking route that involves a tiny loving Cessna plane illegally flying cross-border filled with guerrilla journalists then flying back with sacks of green coffee beans from some middle of nowhere which I then pass onto a company to launder my loving coffee beans for basically free, but I get a sack of the most amazing roast beans once a month then my wife fills me full of caffeine and I guess I'm trying to say maybe I have a loving problem at this point?

yo dawg hook me up

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

One time I was tired in a way I'd never felt before. By the time I got home I was falling asleep standing up mid sentence so I made a 14 cup pot of coffee and drank it over an hour or so and then went to sleep shortly after

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

cynic posted:

Cafeinum

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
There were no cups left in the lunch room so I just put a tablespoon of coffee into my mouth and drank from the tap lmao

I wish I was poo poo posting

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Ok starting to feel a little euphoric, probably won't go into godlike territory but it only took 10 coffees or so to get here

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Just yelled out "my family loves me" loud enough for customers to hear, im idiot

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
how do you get so used to coffee that you need more than one cup. i’ve been drinking one cup for a minute and never even played with the idea of having a second

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
There's no way you feel anything from one cup if you have a tolerance

Chase that fuckin dragon

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Grump posted:

how do you get so used to coffee that you need more than one cup. i’ve been drinking one cup for a minute and never even played with the idea of having a second

Tolerance builds over time. I got an espresso machine for $20 from a friend who was moving and never used it. Always got double shots out of the grounds because a single is hella wasteful. Between stopping exercising and starting a mid shift dispatch job I needed three shots spread out over ~4 hours to get poo poo done. This is over maybe two years. It builds up, especially if you overrely on it.

Ditto on the cortisol hike. Bad news if you have anxiety. I should really go down to two shots for my own sake.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Chinatown posted:

ever do caffeine on weed?

its quite a combo

Weed makes me fall asleep within an hour, regardless of the amount of coffee :(

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Welp ive crashed now, and ill do it all again tomorrow

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Chinatown posted:

ever do caffeine on weed?

its quite a combo
this is why i don't drink coffee after 3pm

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

central dogma posted:

Weed makes me fall asleep within an hour, regardless of the amount of coffee :(

Too much weed imo

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Super high on the bean right now. Gonna see where this trip is gonna take me

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i've been limiting my bean intake today and i haven't quite been able to wake up properly all day

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Nothing like a nice cup of morning brown.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
this thread needs to be moved to tcc imo

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
And with a tablespoon down the hatch, the day begins again

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

From a few pages back~

kazr posted:

Have you ever drank hot cold brew my dude?

Like heating it up after cold brewing it in a microwave or stovetop?

There's a completely different process going on when you pour boiling water through coffee the normal way than when you just steep the grounds like tea for 12-18hrs as with cold brew. Much less acidity with cold-brew.

frogge fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 14, 2020

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Muk Dumpster posted:

I start my day with a tablespoon if coffee in a little water and a escitalopram

can we get a gangtag for this breakfast

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

frogge posted:

From a few pages back~

Like heating it up after cold brewing it in a microwave or stovetop?

There's a completely different process going on when you pour boiling water through coffee the normal way than when you just steep the grounds like tea for 12-18hrs as with cold brew. Much less acidity with cold-brew.

Yes

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Gonna get no doz

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Had two (2) cups today. One in the morning and one in the afternoon. Morning cup was a quality pour over.

Afternoon cup was one of those Starbucks Via instant packets. My work sent everyone a holiday gift pack with a coffee mug and various coffees/cocoas and biscottis.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Had two (2) cups today. One in the morning and one in the afternoon. Morning cup was a quality pour over.

Afternoon cup was one of those Starbucks Via instant packets. My work sent everyone a holiday gift pack with a coffee mug and various coffees/cocoas and biscottis.
those instant packets are surprisingly good in a pinch

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Muk Dumpster posted:

Gonna get no doz
i like the rooster brand myself but its all the same

i like em before a bike ride if im not feeling motivated cause one of those and 5 minutes later and IM READY COACH PUT ME IN :madmax:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I had a caffeinated Mio and a preworkout and did Week 3 Day 3 over again of C25K and then ate. Then had a Mio and a half a pill (100mg) and fell asleep. :mad:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

pre-workout powder of all kind rules

i just picked up some 1 MORE REP WITH BEET ROOT the other day

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Report: maybe cos its 100mg dissolved slowly compared to 200mg+ in coffee form ive found it to be kinda chill, no manic anxiety, think ill swap to no doz permanently

Just have to regulate, last time I had them I was chewing them up and railing them while drinking, just gotta be good boy

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i do think they are kinda chill tbh, and no upset stomach from a bunch of liquids before doing sports

i have some ephedrine, that stuff is no chill

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

numberoneposter posted:

those instant packets are surprisingly good in a pinch

Yeah it wasn’t bad at all. Also I don’t know what it is about instant but I’m still feeling the caffeine hit 6 hours later.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Coffee gives me bloody diarrhea (I got a fissure) and caffeine pills make me nervous and shaky. What's the name of that European chocolate bar with coffee beans and gotu kola in it again? I wanna see if it's available on Amazon in the US, it might be a happy medium.

There was this soda I used to drink a bunch when I was a kid with bizarre flavors and artificial colors (like black, but it stained your mouth and feces blue), and I used to love the absolutely insane caffeine buzz it gave me. I later found out it wasn't the caffeine that was doing it, it was chock full of ephedrine, which the FDA decided to be a bunch of buzzkills about and ban just because a bunch of high school football players kept dying from it during games and practice. Dumbasses, that's not what stimulants are for! They're for staying perfectly still for hours on end while grinding your teeth and reading, writing, or masturbating. My mom screamed at me until I cried in front of my friends and siblings when she found out, even though I found out what was in it the same time she did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is it possible for caffeine not to effect people? I drank plenty of soda in my teens and throughout my 20s and it never got me hyper or kept me awake, when I was really little yeah I'd be bouncing off of the loving walls. Now, being in my early 30s, I've reduced my soda intake to almost nothing (but god drat it I just can't seem to stop) and I've only just started drinking coffee but like... it doesn't do poo poo to me. I had a double espresso yesterday and I didn't feel like I got any energy out of it.

I'm probably dying aren't I?