Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Air fryah snipah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Philthy posted:

wait until they find out about rice cookers

Rice cookers are literally magic in my eyes

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Rice cooker is about the most useless appliance I've owned. Soak the rice, drain it rinse it put it in a pot until boiling then turn down the heat to low and cover. When the rest of your food is done rice is ready to go

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I feel the same way about legs. What a useless pair of appendages. Just drag yourself across the ground if you really need to get somewhere.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I feel the same way about legs. What a useless pair of appendages. Just drag yourself across the ground if you really need to get somewhere.

really good comparison had not thought of it this way im going to get two air friers right now

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

kazr posted:

Rice cooker is about the most useless appliance I've owned. Soak the rice, drain it rinse it put it in a pot until boiling then turn down the heat to low and cover. When the rest of your food is done rice is ready to go

I love mine.
It's got a timer on it, holds the cooked rice perfectly for up to like 6 hours, you can make like 900 different types of rice, oatmeal, whatever, hell you can bake cakes in it,make soups, whatever. Sucks about you not reading the instruction manual I guess lol

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

2 hours! i have discovered the rare "never once used an oven or seen one used" goon.

though i do understand ovens don't heat frozen things through fast. for reheating microwaves do it better and then you can throw it in the oven for 2 minutes to crisp it - faster than your air fryer i promise and the method works just as well for reheating pizza. with like six-ten minutes in a microwave you can even have baked whole potatoes super quick by throwing them in the oven afterwards to crisp the skin.

attention thread: if it takes more than single digit minutes for your oven to heat up, it is broken, and if it's 500% slower than an air fryer at least the fan is broken.

See the funny thing about this is, I have a microwave...on the floor by my desk completely unused because the airfryer takes up much, much less space on my limited counters and while it takes longer than a microwave, the airfryer does a much better job of heating cold things and cooking raw things.

e: I can't loving believe that I'm in here defending the loving air fryer gently caress. If I had never been given one I'd be all smug central too about them but drat if they aren't pretty alright, even the cheap-o-depot one I got.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

thathonkey posted:

really good comparison had not thought of it this way im going to get two air friers right now

You should get three in case two of them break.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
"you guys are all idiots with all of these idiot appliances obviously all they do is make stuff hot why not just start a fire in the middle of the floor like me the smart goon who is too smart to need your stupid task specific appliances. What is convenience I do not understand the term beep boop" - kazr (noted dumbass)

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
^that but unironically.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Skip the middle man pop a handful of grains in your mouth and you're good to go

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

2 hours! i have discovered the rare "never once used an oven or seen one used" goon.

though i do understand ovens don't heat frozen things through fast. for reheating microwaves do it better and then you can throw it in the oven for 2 minutes to crisp it - faster than your air fryer i promise and the method works just as well for reheating pizza. with like six-ten minutes in a microwave you can even have baked whole potatoes super quick by throwing them in the oven afterwards to crisp the skin.

attention thread: if it takes more than single digit minutes for your oven to heat up, it is broken, and if it's 500% slower than an air fryer at least the fan is broken.

Maybe 3 hours

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i love when people obsess about them being "just" a convection oven, as though having one of those is the default. lol no, I have never in my life had an apartment or house with one

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i cook everything in a giant 500 degree gas oven, gently caress all you people

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Aardvark! posted:

i love when people obsess about them being "just" a convection oven, as though having one of those is the default. lol no, I have never in my life had an apartment or house with one

I've never not had one and i have not lived in nice apartments, ever. They don't make electric ovens with no fans in them anymore, i had to buy an oven like a year ago and they don't even let you turn off the fan so you can cook non convection if you wanted. Are you living somewhere where gas ovens are really common? Even when i had a gas stove once the oven was electric...

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

I've never not had one and i have not lived in nice apartments, ever. They don't make electric ovens with no fans in them anymore, i had to buy an oven like a year ago and they don't even let you turn off the fan so you can cook non convection if you wanted. Are you living somewhere where gas ovens are really common? Even when i had a gas stove once the oven was electric...

I have never had anything but electric and also never had convection - that's 5 apartments and 2 houses I've lived in in the last 12 years. I also cook a lot, or at least used to.

Looking at home depot right now over half of the standard single oven/stove electrics do not have convection, and the ones that do are More Expensive.

You must have had some really really nice landlords I guess.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
I have an electric oven and it does not have a convection setting. Just because it is true for you does not mean that it is true for all or even most.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
ive never had a full size oven with convection but most toaster ovens ive owned do

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Can we see a picture of yours?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

kazr posted:

or you could just put rice and water and press a button instead of all that bullshit

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

You're the odd one out here. I didn't even know what a convection oven was until like 10 years ago and I learned that from watching the food network.

They are not standard practice at all and I specifically picked one out in the store that had 20 ovens on display that actually had that feature. Out of maybe 3. And they were all more expensive.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

why are you such a loving weirdo about ovens

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Like everyone else has told you, you are flat out wrong about this.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
let's have some sympathy here, he just found out he got scammed by the appliance store he went to

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

When he first brought it up I assumed he was actually thinking that any stove with a fan (ie just a vent hood) made it a 'convection oven' and was like 'no he's not that dumb' but

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
*appliance guy pointing at the broiler* oh yeah that's the convection

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Nooner posted:

"you guys are all idiots with all of these idiot appliances obviously all they do is make stuff hot why not just start a fire in the middle of the floor like me the smart goon who is too smart to need your stupid task specific appliances. What is convenience I do not understand the term beep boop" - kazr (noted dumbass)

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Out of all the kitchen appliances to bitch about a rice cooker should be at the absolute bottom of the list lol it's one of the greatest things ever

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
lol @ people that buy microwaves. absolute useless poo poo. i just windmill my arms fast enough to generate an electromagnetic wave with a wavelength in the range 0.001–0.3 m, shorter than that of a normal radio wave but longer than those of infrared radiation, in the direction of my hot pockets

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Please vibrate your fists in my hot pocket

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Out of all the kitchen appliances to bitch about a rice cooker should be at the absolute bottom of the list lol it's one of the greatest things ever

Particularly the fancy ones.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

kazr posted:

Rice cooker does that for me and lets me play videogames with piece of mind. You cant put a price on that.

My brother in law wont shut up about his air fryer and I'm terrified how easy it sounds to make good French Fries.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 2, 2021

Ries
Apr 14, 2003
Motorcycle

A CRAB IRL posted:

Rice cookers are literally magic in my eyes

This is the most correct opinion ever written

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

My rice cooker plays the first few notes of twinkle twinkle little star when it starts I'm not even making that up.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My rice cooker keeps rice at the perfect temperature for loving for like 7 days

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

bradzilla posted:

or you could just put rice and water and press a button instead of all that bullshit

Wait, do you not have to rinse the rice in a rice cooker? And it doesn't get all stuck together? That IS the darkest witchcraft.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Weka posted:

Wait, do you not have to rinse the rice in a rice cooker? And it doesn't get all stuck together? That IS the darkest witchcraft.

I usually cook brown or basmati rice and it's always been fine without rinsing

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Big Beef City posted:

My rice cooker plays the first few notes of twinkle twinkle little star when it starts I'm not even making that up.

it should be mandatory for every appliance to play jaunty little tunes

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Weka posted:

It depends on the rice. If you want fluffy white rice then you should wash it first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Air fryer and Instapot superiority. Haters stand down