Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
One Piece good?
It's great
Meh
One Piss
View Results

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Id put his sword in my mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Stick that sword butt first in my butt

Three sword style

sad question
May 30, 2020

Thank god they added dumbshit superpowers, there's no way to make a show about pirates exciting.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

my enjoyment of one piece was mostly relative to how much robin was present

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

ball so hard motherfuckers wanna find me (one piece)

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
ITT we workshop anime ideas.

It's high school as you know it, but with demons. Nothing special happens, they're just normal people with horns and a tail.

It's a hospital, but the patients are death sentence crims and the docs are amateurs. It's a proving ground for everyone.

It's a prison, but the prison is for like, colour or something. The protagonist is the embodiment of the rainbow or some poo poo.

An upholsterer that goes on a journey to become the world's best lover, finding out his dexterity allows him skills unlike any other.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i would just shoot them while they are transforming but i guess that would go against the fighting spirit or something.

Dragon Ball Super actually has a joke about this

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

syntaxfunction posted:

It's high school as you know it, but with demons. Nothing special happens, they're just normal people with horns and a tail.

It's a hospital, but the patients are death sentence crims and the docs are amateurs. It's a proving ground for everyone.

It's a prison, but the prison is for like, colour or something. The protagonist is the embodiment of the rainbow or some poo poo.

An upholsterer that goes on a journey to become the world's best lover, finding out his dexterity allows him skills unlike any other.

A rookie detective tracks a truck-wielding serial killer, but at the end you find out that the serial killer is actually a celestial envoy sending his victims to fight demon kings in other worlds.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dragon Ball Super actually has a joke about this

I appreciate Dragon Ball despite it's shonen style episode structure of 5 minutes of story and 25 minutes of filler because of this self-awareness. Also, the driving episode.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

syntaxfunction posted:

It's a slice-of-life series about a teenage guy about to graduate from high school, a genki cat girl alien, an ancient dragon who can transform into a tsundere middle-aged woman, and an old man who can become a hakubishin (NOT a tanuki). The old dude/hakubishin owns a bakery, and they are all working there with the quest to make the perfect recipe for shokupan/hotel bread.

Halfway through the series, cyborg aliens invade Earth---the same species as the genki cat girl (but from an alternate dimension). They initially wanted to conquer the earth, but now they're super-into collecting everything found in gacha machines.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Am I missing something? Really? After watching that I can say with confidence that I will never watch an episode.

The comments on the video are bizarre too. Like it's a revelatory piece of cinema, like the convicts drinking beer while fixing a roof in The Shawshank Redemption.

I must be missing some context or something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Valko posted:

Am I missing something? Really? After watching that I can say with confidence that I will never watch an episode.

The comments on the video are bizarre too. Like it's a revelatory piece of cinema, like the convicts drinking beer while fixing a roof in The Shawshank Redemption.

I must be missing some context or something.

Pretty much, yeah. I can see how it doesn't really land without the context, but with it, it's amazing.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
this one piece is good

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much, yeah. I can see how it doesn't really land without the context, but with it, it's amazing.

there are a handful of one piece moments that were absolutely amazing to me (the climax of Chopper's backstory, I WANT TO LIVE, Usopp and Luffy fighting) but absolutely zero of them work without a couple dozen chapters of context and that's really not fair to people who are in any way normal.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
An anime where a guy weirds various breads as weapons, usually opting for a baguette (cause sword) but his secret weapon is super intense chunks of garlic bread.

He does this because like mutants or something are allergic to gluten. And he fights them with the bread. He's a goofy guy who has no luck with ladies, often flirting but then getting slapped lol, but he wins over generic female character in the end.

Also at the end fight of every arc he transforms into Wonderbread, the mythical entity of pure breadiness. It's just him but with slices of bread on his suit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

syntaxfunction posted:

An anime where a guy weirds various breads as weapons, usually opting for a baguette (cause sword) but his secret weapon is super intense chunks of garlic bread.

He does this because like mutants or something are allergic to gluten. And he fights them with the bread. He's a goofy guy who has no luck with ladies, often flirting but then getting slapped lol, but he wins over generic female character in the end.

Also at the end fight of every arc he transforms into Wonderbread, the mythical entity of pure breadiness. It's just him but with slices of bread on his suit.

Anpanman is waaaay ahead of you. Like, 70 years ahead. And way sillier. It's basically the Japanese version of like, Sesame Street.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

syntaxfunction posted:

Anpanman?
[

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Anpanman owns, and he and Doraemon were incredibly useful resources to draw on when I taught in Japan.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
How bout a supersmart guy youth detective that gets injected with a poison that makes him reverse-age to 8 years old while still being super smart and solving cases columbo-gadget style - oh wait, that already exists and its the second most retarded thing ive ever seen (after one piece, firmly claiming the #1 spot for ever).

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Yolomon Wayne posted:

How bout a supersmart guy youth detective that gets injected with a poison that makes him reverse-age to 8 years old while still being super smart and solving cases columbo-gadget style - oh wait, that already exists and its the second most retarded thing ive ever seen (after one piece, firmly claiming the #1 spot for ever).

The name "Detective Conan" sounds so much more interesting if you're only familiar with the Barbarian or the Comedian.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Personally I liked the "I gas chambered my roommate by mixing bathroom cleaners because she stole my man" episode.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Detective Onan

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Bogus Adventure posted:

The name "Detective Conan" sounds so much more interesting if you're only familiar with the Barbarian or the Comedian.

I'd watch barbarian detective but only if it's not an anime hth

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

there are a handful of one piece moments that were absolutely amazing to me (the climax of Chopper's backstory, I WANT TO LIVE, Usopp and Luffy fighting) but absolutely zero of them work without a couple dozen chapters of context and that's really not fair to people who are in any way normal.

Dude, I think you are unfamiliar with my post history.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
I think the whol epremise of "poison someone to reverse-age" is so fundamentally stupid that i couldnt watch the show even if it was good,
i mean whats wrong with poisoning someone to simply kill him?
Why the hassle?
It makes no sense.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i am going to stand still and throw super rapid-fire machine gun punches at you while going "da!da!da!da!eh!da!"

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i am going to stand still and throw super rapid-fire machine gun punches at you while going "da!da!da!da!eh!da!"

I finally watched Fist of the North Star last year because lockdown gave me all kinds of extra time and I'm glad I didn't watch every episode. I mostly skipped around to story arc beginnings and the boss fights at the end of each arc because the rest was local bandit villain of the week filler. It was really bad but I can see how back in 1982 it was the greatest thing ever for edgy teens.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
One Piece is the name of the treasure. It's on the Grand Line.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
The final verdict seems to be that in fact, One Piece does suck. Good :hai:

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
It truly is the Gun Musashi of this age

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
If it's so bad I'd like to hear someone a better anime. Oh, can't do it? Yeah that's what I thought.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Funky See Funky Do posted:

If it's so bad I'd like to hear someone a better anime.

Outlaw Star

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

If it's so bad I'd like to hear someone a better anime. Oh, can't do it? Yeah that's what I thought.

Yona of the Dawn

Psycho Pass

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

literally anything made by P.A. Works but especially Shirobako

Wotakoi: Love is hard for Otaku

Daily Lives of High School Boys

Ghost Stories (best English dub of all time)

Violet Evergarden

Aggretsuko

Azumanga Daioh

Flying Witch

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun

Tonari-no Seki-kun

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Way of the Househusband

and that's just off the top of my head

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Space Dandy

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Oh sure, anyone could name 1,2, ..15 animes that are better than One Piece, but 30? Pshh, yeah right.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

gently caress YOU TOONAMI I WANT TO SEE ASHA CLAN CLAN NAKED.

Oh sure, anyone could name 1,2, ..15 animes that are better than One Piece, but 30? Pshh, yeah right.

Yakitate
Air Gear
Outlaw Star
Yuri On Ice
Blue Gender
Submarine 6
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Desert Punk
Samurai 7
Sk8 the Infinity
Deathnote
Last Exile
Eureka Seven
Basquash
Buzzer Beater
Ping Pong
Assassination Classroom
Big O
Gantz
Serial Experiments Lain
Ghost in the Shell
Planetes
Paranoia Agent
Fire Force
Keep Your Hands off Eizouken
Restaurant to Another World
Fullmetal Alchemist
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept.

Edit: I edited out Speed Grapher, forgot how creepy it was but it has a diamond lady! A lady who eats diamonds and is diamonds and the guy uses a camera to shoot people.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 15, 2021

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
none of these anime pitches have incest anywhere near them. do you really think you're ever going to get syndicated with attitudes like THAT

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Google tells me Shonen Anime is targeted to preteen and teenage boys.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Google tells me Shonen Anime is targeted to preteen and teenage boys.

it's psyops programming to turn boys into Nice Guys in order to reduce population growth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Ah geez all up that's 45 animes that are better than One Piece. I really bit off more than I could chew.