Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Unless you notice your battery behaving strangely, for the love of god stop obsessing over battery stats.

For real! A replacement battery is $129 bucks, if I'm correct. To me, $129 to replace the battery in 4-5 years is well worth not having to obsessively spaz out about cycle count or charge capacity.

Just use the device without worrying. It's not worth obsessing. The "gain," in my opinion, from obsessively monitoring the battery doesn't outweigh the effort involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

sbt posted:

Can someone recommend a decent usb hub?

I have an iMac and a Belkin 7-port hub. It does the hubbing business well enough, but the drat thing keeps waking up my computer from sleep. Sometimes immediately after putting the machine to sleep and sometimes in the middle of the night. My "solution" for this so far has been unplugging the thing before putting the computer to sleep. :(

I found by googling that others have had these problems with belkin crap as well. I found no proper solutions though, besides "get a better hub".
Is it definitely the hub itself and not something attached to it (or something else completely like a Bluetooth device) that's waking the computer?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

japtor posted:

Is it definitely the hub itself and not something attached to it (or something else completely like a Bluetooth device) that's waking the computer?

Check the log, maybe:

Terminal posted:

syslog |grep -i "Wake reason ="

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

A minute before apple store closes: "Your product is ready for pickup"

:argh:

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Has anyone added a hard drive to the 2011 27'' SSD iMac? What sorts of cables and stuff would I need? All the guides online are from people installing SSDs.

In other news, I ordered a 3.4 i7/4gb ram/1gb video card iMac off the refurb store but for some reason it came with a 2gb card and 8gb of ram. I've randomly gotten upgraded specs after a logic board replacement before so I wonder if this is a normal thing

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

King of all Machines Operate posted:

Has anyone added a hard drive to the 2011 27'' SSD iMac? What sorts of cables and stuff would I need? All the guides online are from people installing SSDs.
You want to swap the drive or try to cram a second one in?

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
I've got the stock SSD. I want to add a 2tb WD Black drive.

jubles
Oct 25, 2010

decypher posted:

For real! A replacement battery is $129 bucks, if I'm correct. To me, $129 to replace the battery in 4-5 years is well worth not having to obsessively spaz out about cycle count or charge capacity.

Just use the device without worrying. It's not worth obsessing. The "gain," in my opinion, from obsessively monitoring the battery doesn't outweigh the effort involved.

You also missed the point. Again, the issue is whether this is indicative that the computer is used. If it's not unusual for a new computer to have 13 cycles on the battery, I'll keep it. If it is unusual, I'm going to return it. I don't think I'm being unreasonable by having a problem with paying the full new price for a used product.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

jubles posted:

You also missed the point. Again, the issue is whether this is indicative that the computer is used. If it's not unusual for a new computer to have 13 cycles on the battery, I'll keep it. If it is unusual, I'm going to return it. I don't think I'm being unreasonable by having a problem with paying the full new price for a used product.

Mine have always had 1 or 2. 13 sounds very strange. Was it in a sealed box?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

:argh:

Would it have been so hard for Apple to put the Mini DisplayPort connectors on the same side of the Air as it is on the rest of the portables? It's annoying to have to move the cable to the other side of my desk when I switch between my laptops.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

jubles posted:

If its a Toshiba SSD, might as well swap it and try again. If it's Samsung, be glad you won the SSD lottery and stick with the Air you have.

Kalix
May 8, 2009
Pipebomb or anyone else: How does the Logitech K750 compare to the Apple BT keyboard.

I ordered one for my Air but i'm still a bit unsure -- It's backordered so must be popular.
Also slightly worried about the 'plasticky' feel.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
The My Passport Studio boasts an all aluminium enclosure and two FireWire 800 ports. Use the second FireWire port to daisy chain an additional drive.

I'll take 10. But seriously, how many can I daisy chain before bus power is insufficient?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Looks like a laptop hard drive, so probably quite a few in theory!

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Short of some $150-200 device that I saw linked a couple times, is there any way for a 2011 MBP to output to two external monitors without using Thunderbolt? I'm guessing no, but may as well ask if there's even a remotely possible way.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

KingEup posted:

The My Passport Studio boasts an all aluminium enclosure and two FireWire 800 ports. Use the second FireWire port to daisy chain an additional drive.

I'll take 10. But seriously, how many can I daisy chain before bus power is insufficient?

Now we just need one of those Thunderbolt docks with Firewire 800 built in!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Sulk posted:

Short of some $150-200 device that I saw linked a couple times, is there any way for a 2011 MBP to output to two external monitors without using Thunderbolt? I'm guessing no, but may as well ask if there's even a remotely possible way.

USB video cards are $40-50 and decent enough for office work.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

KingEup posted:

There's a few other cases like that. As for chaining, I've seen posts where people use two, although not with that particular case. I haven't seen anyone try more, so past two :iiam:. There's also dual 2.5" bus powered enclosures too btw.

Sulk posted:

Zotac announced some MDP to dual HDMI adapter a while back but I don't know if it's on sale yet. Otherwise Monoprice has some listed (dual DVI, dual HDMI) but isn't shipping either yet.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Good lord the stock Hitachi 5400 RPM in MBPs is punishingly slow. I realize that I've been spoiled by the good 7200 RPM drives and SSDs in my Macs, but setting up my girlfriends new MBP is just painful. I now understand people's complaints about Lion beach-balling more than Snow Leopard. I also forgot what it looked like to see Dock icons bounce more than once.

I really need to replace this drive.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 23, 2011

BrokenDynasty
Dec 25, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Good lord the stock Hitachi 5400 RPM in MBPs is punishingly slow. I realize that I've been spoiled by the good 7200 RPM drives and SSDs in my Macs, but setting up my girlfriends new MBP is just painful. I now understand people's complaints about Lion beach-balling more than Snow Leopard. I also forgot what it looked like to see Dock icons bounce more than once.

I really need to replace this drive.

I've decided to pull the trigger on a 120GB SSD in my MBP. If I want to replace my current stock HD, is it just as simple as taking out the existing one and swapping in the SSD and then booting from the installation discs? That way I can use my current drive to replace the blackbook drive I was going to be replacing anyway.

EDIT: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_6G/ for example the 199.99 120GB drive also comes with a swap kit option but that's only if I want to keep two internal drives right?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

BrokenDynasty posted:

I've decided to pull the trigger on a 120GB SSD in my MBP. If I want to replace my current stock HD, is it just as simple as taking out the existing one and swapping in the SSD and then booting from the installation discs? That way I can use my current drive to replace the blackbook drive I was going to be replacing anyway.

Yep. Super easy.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Man, this iMac screen is WAY more reflective than it looked in the store. Are there any good options to 'fix' this, aside from very expensive kits or taking out the front panel?

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Just got my computer back from the repair, and my screensaver has changed. What the hell? :tinfoil:

Edit: and my second keyboard language is gone! I even made them a genius bar admin account, why is this happening?!

My PIN is 4826 fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Sep 23, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sulk posted:

Matrox DualHead2Go

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

KingEup posted:

:fap:

http://www.storagereview.com/western_digital_my_passport_studio_review_1tb

$179 for 1TB. Ugh.

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002

Sulk posted:

I've used a DisplayLink USB video adapter with my 2008 15" MacBook Pro for a year or so now with pretty good success. Video/YouTube get a little choppy, but it works well for everything else. I was using two until one of the adapters died. It isn't a huge concern, but Mac drivers are pretty much at the bottom of DisplayLink's priority list, so the updates are few and far between. They cost ~$50.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

I had a daisy-chainable WD FW external drive in like 2007, am I missing something special about this one in particular here?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Jolan posted:

Man, this iMac screen is WAY more reflective than it looked in the store. Are there any good options to 'fix' this, aside from very expensive kits or taking out the front panel?
Turn off the lights.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

El Duke posted:

I had a daisy-chainable WD FW external drive in like 2007, am I missing something special about this one in particular here?

It just looks awesome. They've had another version of this out for a while.

Back around 2004 or so I had a stack of this:

and this: (older version, though)

on my Dell 700M because it had Firewire. It was awesome.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Bob Morales posted:

It just looks awesome. They've had another version of this out for a while.

I didn't even notice they'd stopped the one rounded edge design they'd been using. Huh, these look like they'd be fairly nice in a stackable config. If they're not too contoured on top, it's hard to tell from those pics if the rounding is pronounced at all.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

King of all Machines Operate posted:

In other news, I ordered a 3.4 i7/4gb ram/1gb video card iMac off the refurb store but for some reason it came with a 2gb card and 8gb of ram. I've randomly gotten upgraded specs after a logic board replacement before so I wonder if this is a normal thing

Adding in a platter hd is much more difficult than the SSD after-market. The problem is that Apple moved the temperature sensors from a sensor that sat on top of the hard drive to inside the firmware of the drive. This means that any after-market HD if it is not approved for the 2011 iMac will make the fans spin out of control. The SSD-only iMacs have a jumper installed on the power cable for the platter hd that disable the fan entirely which is not ideal for people that want to have an actual hard drive in there.

With that said you're going to need a drive with the proper firmware, a set of 4 mounting screws (T6 nubs can probably get from iFixIt) and possibly a new cable. Let me grab the repair manual for the 2011 iMac and I'll get back to you. I'm kind of busy at the moment but I can give you a list of part numbers of everything you need if my previous statement didn't deter you.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Turn off the lights.

No lights on, curtains closed, maximum screen brightness, and I can still count my nose hairs in the reflection. This is absolutely ridiculous.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Jolan posted:

No lights on, curtains closed, maximum screen brightness, and I can still count my nose hairs in the reflection. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Visible nasal hair is not actually a negative biproduct of light refraction from iMac's plexiglass, but of one's grooming habits. Others have experienced other visual artifacts while staring at their iMac, leading to sexual identify confusion.

You could actually just remove the magnetic plexi-glass; it's nice and matte under there and the LCD is secured by 8 screws.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Jolan posted:

But only when there's something dark on the screen, right? Sure, annoying for watching films and playing dark games, but most UIs are bright like these forums.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

My PIN is 4826 posted:

But only when there's something dark on the screen, right? Sure, annoying for watching films and playing dark games, but most UIs are bright like these forums.

Truth be told, I can barely see myself when I'm doing stuff in, for example, Word, but only when I've got the screen turned up bright enough to give me a headache. It's terribly, terribly noticable when I'm reading websites with a dark base colour or, as you said, watching video files.

Kuskus, I'd rather not start screwing with the hardware, so I won't try that until there's no option left.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Return it, buy a Mac Mini and one of the nice new LED backlit / IPS Dell or HP monitors.

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!
Hey guys, I have kind of an odd request and I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask. I'm trying to reduce the number of cables I have to plug/unplug each time I move my MacBook Pro to and from my desk. I have a set of Logitech speakers that connect via 3.5mm audio jack and would love to be able to plug them in via my USB hub instead. (So there is one less cable for me to connect each time.) Is there some type of adapter I could buy that would allow me to do this? I did some looking on Amazon and it seems the devices that do this are either specialized for smartphones or are full blown external sound cards. Will those work or is there a simpler device that will still use the MBP's internal sound card? Does what I am wanting exist? Is there a better thread for me to ask in? Thanks in advance.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Auriak posted:

Hey guys, I have kind of an odd request and I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask. I'm trying to reduce the number of cables I have to plug/unplug each time I move my MacBook Pro to and from my desk. I have a set of Logitech speakers that connect via 3.5mm audio jack and would love to be able to plug them in via my USB hub instead. (So there is one less cable for me to connect each time.) Is there some type of adapter I could buy that would allow me to do this? I did some looking on Amazon and it seems the devices that do this are either specialized for smartphones or are full blown external sound cards. Will those work or is there a simpler device that will still use the MBP's internal sound card? Does what I am wanting exist? Is there a better thread for me to ask in? Thanks in advance.

Any audio heading out the USB port would need a DAC to reconstruct it into an audio signal (and drivers to let the system know how to send audio out). That's why all you're finding are audio interfaces.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Auriak: don't know about such adapters, but you could get a Bluetooth transmitter that you can plug your speakers in, and then use that as the audio-out device on your MacBook. I've got this and it's been working fine so far.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Return it, buy a Mac Mini and one of the nice new LED backlit / IPS Dell or HP monitors.

Mac Minis don't have a powerful enough graphics card for my needs (medical imaging processing), and Mac Pros are way over my budget. I could go for a custom PC but then I'd have to get into fiddling with hardware and hackintoshing, and one of the main selling points for an iMac was that it just works as-is, without that fiddling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!

lord funk posted:

Any audio heading out the USB port would need a DAC to reconstruct it into an audio signal (and drivers to let the system know how to send audio out). That's why all you're finding are audio interfaces.

Ahh, that makes sense! So would something like this do what I am wanting? http://amzn.com/B001MSS6CS

Jolan posted:

Auriak: don't know about such adapters, but you could get a Bluetooth transmitter that you can plug your speakers in, and then use that as the audio-out device on your MacBook. I've got this and it's been working fine so far.

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at similar devices, but they are a bit more expensive than what I'm willing to spend on something that is really only a minor inconvenience. Just out of curiosity (as a last resort), how well does Bluetooth stay connected to it? Do you have to tell it to find/reconnect to the device each time you get back in range?