Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Right, I plan on retiring at a high tax bracket, so I'm making Roth contributions today at a much lower tax bracket. Is a TFSA the Canadian Roth IRA?

Close, but there's no precise American analogue. You contribute with post-tax dollars (like a Roth), but subsequent gains, whether capital gains or dividends are tax free. Canadians can contribute $5,500 per year to this, and withdraw anytime - it's not coupled to retirement in any way (though it is a great vehicle for retirement savings).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control

Right, I plan on retiring at a high tax bracket, so I'm making Roth contributions today at a much lower tax bracket. Is a TFSA the Canadian Roth IRA?

Essentially yes, a better version of a Roth (There is no requirement of income of any kind to contribute, you gain extra space every year after you turn 18 whether you earn income or not, if you withdraw you regain that space the following year)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

It's been a while since I've gone to RFD as I don't live in Canada right now, but the title is exactly right? The point of RRSPs is to reduce one's tax liability when one is at a higher income bracket, and move income to a point in life when one's overall income is in a lower tax bracket. Since RRSP contribution room carries forward, it makes little sense for young people to put money into them at earlier, lower wage stages in their life.

It's RFD, I guarantee you the thread's about how smart people plan on building multi million dollar businesses before they retire and so have no reason for an RRSP so they can spend all their discretionary money on ipads right now when they're young.

Or, since it's RFD, spend it all on buying more property, because it goes up forever.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Lexicon posted:

Close, but there's no precise American analogue. You contribute with post-tax dollars (like a Roth), but subsequent gains, whether capital gains or dividends are tax free. Canadians can contribute $5,500 per year to this, and withdraw anytime - it's not coupled to retirement in any way (though it is a great vehicle for retirement savings).

I see. The carry-over cap space is great, as in the penalty-free withdrawal. Roth IRA capital gains and dividends are tax free, to my knowledge, if you make qualified withdrawals.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

HookShot posted:

It's RFD, I guarantee you the thread's about how smart people plan on building multi million dollar businesses before they retire and so have no reason for an RRSP so they can spend all their discretionary money on ipads right now when they're young.

Or, since it's RFD, spend it all on buying more property, because it goes up forever.

Just to be clear, "saving for retirement" and "contributing to an RRSP" are not equivalent statements. It's possible to "have no reason for an RRSP" yet still successfully save for retirement.

I'm sure your point about the denizens of RFD stands, however.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Lately I've been thinking about cashing out my IRA and investing in a bitcoin rig. I'll then invest my bitcoin profits into the Vancouver Real Estate market, so that I'm sufficiently diversified. Thoughts?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Lately I've been thinking about cashing out my IRA and investing in a bitcoin rig. I'll then invest my bitcoin profits into the Vancouver Real Estate market, so that I'm sufficiently diversified. Thoughts?

The bitcoin rig might be the smarter part of that investment. :laugh:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Well you're choosing the best city to do it in. If r/vancouver is any indication, Vancouver must have the largest population of bitcoin idiots I've ever seen.

edit: largest population of bitcoin idiots per capita

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 16, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/BenRabidoux/status/423860949494149120

quote:

Condo months of inventory in QC metros: Montreal: 19, Quebec City: 27, Gatineau: 17. MOI is seasonal and tends to peak in Dec, but still...

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
This is a good read.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2014/01/16/why-canadas-household-debt-problem-could-get-worse/

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Cultural Imperial posted:

Well you're choosing the best city to do it in. If r/vancouver is any indication, Vancouver must have the largest population of bitcoin idiots I've ever seen.

edit: largest population of bitcoin idiots per capita

Vancouverites have a cultural-affinity for seeking out get-rich-quick schemes that don't actually create tangible wealth (trading houses, bitcoins, etc).

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

Vancouverites have a cultural-affinity for seeking out get-rich-quick schemes that don't actually create tangible wealth (trading houses, bitcoins, etc).

Oh man. Remember when Murray Pezim was the toast of the town? And Arthur Griffiths? I can't wait to see Francesco Aquilini go bankrupt.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lexicon posted:

This isn't the most beautiful place on the planet because of all our industries. Get rich quick schemes also leave you more time to enjoy nature's bounty, or to patronize one of our many coffee houses staffed by ridiculously over educated baristas.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
On that subject, is Vancouver really that 'smart'? Amongst my personal circle of friends in Vancouver, the most educated lament that they live here out of obligation rather than choice.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

From what I can tell Vancouver has quite a brain-drain. So many of my friends got fancy and in-demand degrees here in Victoria then moved to Vancouver to get a job and realized there just aren't actual jobs in vancouver outside of construction, service, and real-estate. So they all had to gently caress off to Calgary or the US for actual tech/science jobs. You hear that story over and over, it's just a poo poo place for most careers. Vancouver has a very simple and fragile economy, the whole town is just sort of held together with the absolute bare minimum of productive jobs needed to keep the realestate/construction industry going and I have no clue what the hell they are going to do if/when things crash.

Oddly enough Victoria's "tech sector" is doing pretty well and a few people who tried Vancouver then had to go farther afield for jobs are finding them selves back home as they grow their careers. Apparently as of a couple years ago tech just surpassed tourism in the city. But Victoria still has most all the same problems that Vancouver has, just on a smaller scale. But then again we never try to sell our selves as some global city, just as a quaint little tourism and retirement village. I'm sure filthy rich old people will keep our market going, they are our *CHINESE INVESTORS* and why it's different here.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 16, 2014

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Wall Street Journal is convinced the Canadian economy is bumfucked:
http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2014/01/14/canadas-skidding/

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Baronjutter posted:

From what I can tell Vancouver has quite a brain-drain. So many of my friends got fancy and in-demand degrees here in Victoria then moved to Vancouver to get a job and realized there just aren't actual jobs in vancouver outside of construction, service, and real-estate. So they all had to gently caress off to Calgary or the US for actual tech/science jobs. You hear that story over and over, it's just a poo poo place for most careers. Vancouver has a very simple and fragile economy, the whole town is just sort of held together with the absolute bare minimum of productive jobs needed to keep the realestate/construction industry going and I have no clue what the hell they are going to do if/when things crash.

Oddly enough Victoria's "tech sector" is doing pretty well and a few people who tried Vancouver then had to go farther afield for jobs are finding them selves back home as they grow their careers. Apparently as of a couple years ago tech just surpassed tourism in the city. But Victoria still has most all the same problems that Vancouver has, just on a smaller scale. But then again we never try to sell our selves as some global city, just as a quaint little tourism and retirement village. I'm sure filthy rich old people will keep our market going, they are our *CHINESE INVESTORS* and why it's different here.

There was also a post about 10-20 pages back from a guy who works in tech about how hard it was for him to hire good talent because the salaries in tech in Vancouver are so lovely, which, coupled with the high cost of living, also promotes brain drain.

There are jobs available in research (especially medical), since that's basically all government (and charity) funded, but you don't do that kind of work for the salary, and there are only so many jobs.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Rime posted:

Wall Street Journal is convinced the Canadian economy is bumfucked:
http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2014/01/14/canadas-skidding/

Similar piece in the FT: http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/5999161a-7ea1-11e3-8642-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2qb9CU5zK

(Google "Canada housing: on short notice" to get around the registration wall).

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

It's like those bros have never even seen the picturesque mountains.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

There was also a post about 10-20 pages back from a guy who works in tech about how hard it was for him to hire good talent because the salaries in tech in Vancouver are so lovely, which, coupled with the high cost of living, also promotes brain drain.

There are jobs available in research (especially medical), since that's basically all government (and charity) funded, but you don't do that kind of work for the salary, and there are only so many jobs.

I had the fortune of working for a US based company in Burnaby. When they shut down our office to outsource it to India several of my co-workers basically got laughed out of the room when they told potential employers in Vancouver what they were making at their previous job.

And on top of that, I know for a fact that at my old company the Canadian pay scale was significantly lower than the exact same jobs at US based offices. A friend of mine managed to get transferred to a US office and work from home in Canada and he saw an instant 20-30% raise.

Oh Vancouver.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

rhazes posted:

This is a derail, but... you realize that regardless of the order you multiple and divide a number, you come up with the same end result, right? And that you're converting what would be capital gains (taxed less) into income, so you're generally being less efficient and paying MORE taxes, indeed ironic if your objective is to just "compound returns".

How is $1000 (pretax, RRSP$) * 1.08^20 * .65[tax] (when taken out) any different than 1000 * .65[tax] (money you've paid tax on and now invested in a regular investment account) * 1.08^20 any different? (It's not). The 'rebate' you get from RRSP contributions just ensures that this formula works out- if you invest the rebate, you aren't getting free money, you're investing pre-tax money. RRSPs only make sense when you are pretty certain you are contributing to them in a year in which you will earn less money than the year you will withdraw them fro the RRSP. They are there to normalize your tax burden, at the cost of converting capital gains and eligible dividends into regular income.

Your math makes sense, but wouldn't you be charged capital gains tax on the appreciation of your regular investment account in addition to the initial income tax?

You can also borrow interest free from your RRSP to contribute to a down payment on a home - also potentially reducing your interest rate on your mortgage. If you only borrow the 35% you got as your income tax refund, you seem to be coming out ahead.

Is my view horribly naive in some way?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

PhilippAchtel posted:

Your math makes sense, but wouldn't you be charged capital gains tax on the appreciation of your regular investment account in addition to the initial income tax?

Outside of an RRSP, capital gains and [Canadian] dividends are taxed far more favourably. You forego this favourable tax treatment when you put them into an RRSP - withdrawals come back out again as regular income, not capital gain/dividend income. So for an RRSP to make sense, there better be a drat well significant difference in your marginal rate at time of contribution vs marginal rate at withdrawal time to make up for it.

Also, drawing on an RRSP is an implicit long-term bet on marginal tax rates not rising substantially in the next few decades. Given demographics, it strikes me as a bit of a foolish bet.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Lexicon posted:

Outside of an RRSP, capital gains and [Canadian] dividends are taxed far more favourably. You forego this favourable tax treatment when you put them into an RRSP - withdrawals come back out again as regular income, not capital gain/dividend income. So for an RRSP to make sense, there better be a drat well significant difference in your marginal rate at time of contribution vs marginal rate at withdrawal time to make up for it.

Also, drawing on an RRSP is an implicit long-term bet on marginal tax rates not rising substantially in the next few decades. Given demographics, it strikes me as a bit of a foolish bet.

But the math submitted above took that tax difference into account. What I'm asking is if regular investments are subject to both income tax on the input and capital gains on the output, while RRSPs are only subject to income tax on the output. This would slightly put thing is their favor, in addition to any other benefits.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

Similar piece in the FT: http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/5999161a-7ea1-11e3-8642-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2qb9CU5zK

(Google "Canada housing: on short notice" to get around the registration wall).

quote:

Ben Rabidoux was teaching at Georgian College, a small university an hour’s drive from Toronto, when he started writing a blog about the Canadian housing market. His job teaching economics and finance gave him access to reams of real estate data, which he used to back up his contrarian – and unpopular – case that Canada was in the midst of a housing bubble.

The blog won a small but loyal following. In late 2011 Mr Rabidoux received a call from one fan, Mark Hanson, the analyst known for forecasting the US housing crisis. Soon, Mr Rabidoux realised many of his avid readers worked for hedge funds and were eager to bet against Canada’s housing market.

“Before you get into the hedge fund world you don’t recognise the names,” says Mr Rabidoux, 32. “It was large institutional investors here in Canada, in the US and some in Europe.” After collaborating with Mr Hanson for a year, he set up North Cove Advisors, his own private research shop.

Take a quick look at the statistics and it is easy to see why hedge funds are licking their chops. In the past five years, while other big developed economies have been suffering through the financial crisis, the average Canadian home price has risen 38 per cent to C$389,119 (US$355,000), according to data from the Canadian Real Estate Association. This has been driven in part by Toronto, where a condominium boom has driven prices to record highs.

At the same time, Canadian households have been on a debt binge fuelled by easy bank lending, low interest rates and government-insured mortgages. The household debt-to-income ratio rose to a record 163.7 per cent in the third quarter, close to the US peak of about 165 per cent on an adjusted basis.

Many of the investors and economists sounding the alarm about Canada’s housing market are veterans of the US subprime crisis. They include Mr Hanson, the analyst, Steve Eisman, an investor, and Nouriel Roubini and Robert Shiller, the economists. Whether they will be right a second time is the source of a heated debate on both sides of the border.
Economists have warned of the risks of global credit bubbles born of extraordinary measures by central banks to prop up economies, primarily quantitative easing and ultra-low interest rates.

The negative bet on Canada is just one of the scenarios on which global hedge fund investors are focused as they ponder the shift away from these emergency measures.

“The US has been printing money since 2009 and it has helped set off a series of echo housing bubbles around the world – Canada is only one of the echo housing bubbles,” says Seth Daniels, adviser to a new short-focused fund in Toronto. “If the US tapers QE, it could set the process in reverse and trigger the collapse of these echo credit bubbles, including Canada.”

Canada’s banking sector has been held up as one of the best regulated in the world – it was the envy of western countries during the financial crisis – and is among the favourites of the rating agencies. Any hint of a bubble would come as a blow to Mark Carney, who was picked to head the Bank of England after insulating Canada from the crisis.
While some of the bigger hedge funds are choosing to stay on the sidelines, Canada, and to a greater extent Australia, are top of the watch list.

“Once you start to see [Canadian] banks showing credit deterioration they’ll all pile in,” says Mr Eisman, founder of Emrys Partners and noted for his role in forecasting the US subprime crisis in Michael Lewis’s book The Big Short.
Betting against Canadian assets is not new and has not necessarily been a winning strategy. “Investors broadly tend to want to see all the information and act on it when things are clear,” says Vijai Mohan, fund manager at Hyphen Fund Management in San Francisco. “That usually means that your price opportunity is gone. You need to act before things are entirely 100 per cent certain.”

Mr Mohan’s biggest bet is shorting the Canadian dollar, a trade that he has had on for 18 months. The “loonie” weakened 7 per cent against the US dollar last year, a trend that has accelerated this year, pushing the loonie to its weakest level in four years. His fund is also shorting the Canadian banks, a bet that lost money last year when financial stocks rallied.

He is not alone in betting against the currency: Goldman Sachs has advised clients to short the Canadian dollar.
Sporting a blue-grey checkered cap, Mr Rabidoux has become an unlikely tour guide for hedge fund investors considering whether they should short or reduce their exposure to Canada. A typical tour might involve a meeting with mortgage brokers or a taxi tour of tower blocks.

A project planned in the heart of downtown Toronto embodies the vigour of the city’s condominium boom. David Mervish, a developer, is battling the city authorities for permission to build three towers designed by Frank Gehry. The 3,000-unit project will dwarf anything in the surrounding area.

Yet some of the high-end luxury condominium projects are showing signs of weakness.

At Trump residences, an attractive guide shows prospective buyers around the suites that cost as much as C$4.7m for a two-bedroom property. An oyster shell filled with caviar on the dining room table and cut-glass whisky decanter project an image of a luxurious life in the tower, where occupancy rates stood at only 30 per cent in December.

The half-built waterfront district of Mimico, an area of Toronto that had been set aside for development, has already disappointed residents with its limited infrastructure. Promises of “incredible value” may turn out be far-fetched.
“We can’t just keep on feeding domestic demand. It’s not going to work,” says Ed Clark, chief executive of TD Bank, the country’s second-biggest lender.

The Canadian government is playing an important role in the mortgage boom. The government encourages banks to insure mortgages with more than an 80 per cent loan-to-value ratio with the national housing agency, meaning that mortgages with 20 per cent deposits and under are counted as close to sovereign risk.

“The vast majority of the mortgage book is insured by the government. This naturally protects the banking system but it does create a big taxpayer liability,” says Craig Alexander, chief economist at TD Bank, the country’s second-biggest bank.

“If you had large-scale losses and that insurance came into effect it would end up with the Canadian taxpayer.”
Banks have piled into housing, racking up hundreds of billions of dollars in mortgage loans, a large portion of which are backed by the government through the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation. Consumer lending helped the banks to report record earnings in 2013.

The federal government is also guaranteeing up to 90 per cent on claims in the case of insolvency of private insurers in an effort to level the playing field between the private sector and the national housing agency. That is capped at C$300bn.

One of the biggest concerns is the duration of Canadian mortgages. The typical mortgage is refinanced every five years, unlike in the US, where the 30-year fixed-rate mortgage is the standard.
There is little doubt that Canadians who borrowed in the past few years of low rates will pay more at their next refinancing.

“At some point interest rates are going to have to rise and it’s going to be a shock to a lot of Canadians,” Mr Alexander says.

But most of Mr Rabidoux’s countrymen disagree with the view that the real estate market is close to collapse.

“We don’t see that there’s a housing bubble,” says Martin Reid, president of Home Capital Group, a big Canadian mortgage lender. “There is some elevated risk in certain markets but, in general, we see the housing market as reasonably healthy.”
Gordon Nixon, chief executive of Royal Bank of Canada, the country’s biggest bank, says that while “there’s always potential for a correction”, the bears are wrong about the housing market.

“When you look at the fundamentals in Canada [they] tell a very different story than sometimes the headlines or the hedge funds do,” he says.

Mr Nixon and others point to important differences with the US subprime market, including tighter underwriting standards and the absence of tax relief for maintaining a mortgage in Canada. The country has not seen the same boom in the repackaging of mortgage-backed securities as in the US.

The bears have a technical issue working against them, too. “It’s very difficult to express this trade,” Mr Daniels says. “Partly because of CMHC insurance, there is nothing like the ABX Index or CDOs to short in Canada. Also, the US has much deeper markets.”

The other factor working against the shorts is the strength of the market. In May last year Mr Eisman singled out Home Capital Group as a potential short equity trade. But he then saw the stock rally 27 per cent by the end of the year. And the six big banks, shorted by some hedge funds last year, have their government insurance to wave at the doomsayers.

Canada’s S&P/TSX banking index rose 17.7 per cent in 2013.

The government has taken steps to rein in the credit swell.

Jim Flaherty, the finance minister, has addressed the topic repeatedly. “We have to watch out for bubbles – always – in markets around the world, including our own Canadian residential real estate market, which I keep a sharp eye on,” he said in November. “I’ve intervened four times in the last several years and I’ll intervene again if I have to make sure we don’t create a housing bubble.”

The government shortened the maximum amortisation – or the period in which the entire mortgage could be paid off – to 25 years from 30 years. It has also limited the amount Canadians can borrow when refinancing to 80 per cent from 85 per cent of the value of their home.

It has also stopped government-backed insured mortgages to homes bought for more than $1m. This year, Canada imposed a “risk fee” on mortgage insurance provided by the country’s housing agency, to compensate taxpayers for potential losses.
Despite the government’s measures, Toronto’s cranes and surging skyline tell a different story. But even those in the hedge fund industry know that betting on a Canadian housing collapse is not a sure thing.

“For every Eisman or [John] Paulson, there’s someone that went out of business for shorting subprime too early,” says Mr Daniels.

Mortgages: Doubt hovers over banking saviour’s future

As Canada attempts to manage its housing boom, the country faces tough decisions about the future role of the national housing agency, the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation.
The International Monetary Fund has been among those to raise concerns over the scale of the state’s role in the mortgage market, which has insured mortgages up to C$560bn.

“What we are questioning is whether there is too much government involvement, whether it can be scaled back and how it can be scaled back? It’s a tricky question,” Roberto Cardarelli, IMF mission chief to Canada, told the Financial Times.
For some, the CMHC is what saved the banks during the crisis as bad mortgages were not packaged and sold to the same degree as in the US. Canadian banks were not penalised for holding them as risky assets, meaning they often kept them on the balance sheet.

But five years after the financial crisis there is mounting pressure to reduce taxpayer liability and create a fairer environment for private insurers. Banks, however, point to the risk of shocks to the mortgage market as a result of scaling back the CMHC.

“There is a risk that we over-tighten this and get the bad thing that we’re trying to avoid,” says Ed Clark, chief executive of TD Bank.

“This is government, politicians wanting to encourage first-time homebuyers to buy with the least amount down and so I think it’s a legitimate public issue to say ‘if you think that’s driving people to be too risky, tighten up the criteria’ . . . you’ll find all the banks say, ‘we’re up for that’.”

Change has been afoot at the top of the CMHC, paving the way for a new direction at the agency that has promoted the government-backed securitisation of mortgages in Canada.

Both Bob Kelly, the new chairman, and Evan Siddall, the new chief executive and president, are bankers by trade.
Mr Kelly, the former chief executive of Bank of New York Mellon, saw the US subprime crisis unravel from the inside, at the head of one of the big trustees of mortgage-backed securities. Mr Siddall worked as an investment banker at both Goldman Sachs and Lazard.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

PhilippAchtel posted:

But the math submitted above took that tax difference into account. What I'm asking is if regular investments are subject to both income tax on the input and capital gains on the output, while RRSPs are only subject to income tax on the output. This would slightly put thing is their favor, in addition to any other benefits.

You've given me interesting food for thought. Posted a response in the Canadian Finance thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3569987&pagenumber=19#firstpost

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/touch/story.html?id=9391434

Special assessments lol

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Musqueam band getting into the development game.

http://www.theprovince.com/business/Musqueam+development+University+Endowment+Lands+moving/9396397/story.html

A little late don't you think?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's pretty much par for condos since they known if assessments are too high then they will scare away potential buyers.

It's why condo owners often see their monthly fee spike after a few years of ownership.

Also many of the condo boom type buildings contain features like rooftop pools and massive windows which have the potential to cause big problems
down the road especially if installed by dubious subcontractors.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I refuse to link zerohedge so you all can just google this. The Shanghai composite is diving on concerns that the first shadow bank is about to default. Whoops.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
We've seen this kind of thing a couple of times lately in Fort McMurray where a Condo building was condemned or the fees jumped to thousands of dollars a month because of major structural issues and neglected repairs. In those cases the issues with the building were publically known for many years before the impact was felt. You had people buying them up for 60% of what other condo properties would achieve and then renting out the units for the same as any other older building in town was getting. These were the same people who went crying to council and the newspapers about losing their homes when the poo poo hit the fan.

In summary I don't know why anyone would buy a condo.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 17, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Starsfan posted:

In summary I don't know why anyone would buy a condo.

because it combines the satisfaction of home ownership with the joys of apartment life.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Ostensibly? To live in it, property ladder, etc. Realistically? TO THE MOOOOOOOON

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I thought a condo was the only way to live somewhere not horrible because all my friends lived in sort of junky bottom-barrel apartments which make up 90% of the rental stock here. Then I found a slightly nicer apartment run by a super fussy soup-nazi type with a huge list of rules that would make most american HOA's blush (ps thanks for rapidly responding to the tenant that had a Canadian flag and Sports flag in his window rather than the mandated plain white curtain, what the gently caress is this a frat house?) and excellent sound proofing as well as being pretty choosy with his tenants. Strict no pets either and actually enforced 10pm quiet time. The common spaces are absolutely immaculate and any problems are usually addressed same-day by the owner him self.

All for only about $100 more than the usual 70's poo poo-box with broken fixtures and a drug addict super working for a massive faceless property management company. And I'm right downtown now too so I can walk to work. A condo in this area would have been around 250k for something old and needing lots of work at 300-400k for something as nice as this apartment. No contest, renting owns.

The only downsides are no in-suite laundry and I can't paint or remodel anything but everything is already pretty much perfect so it's no problem.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

You're in Victoria, right? May I inquire what the rent on such a place is?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A typical 2br place is around 1100-1200 in Victoria, that will mostly likely be in a dumpy slightly run down 70's wood-frame apartment with very thin walls and a suspicious elevator that smells like pee and indian food. Your unit will have wall to wall carpets that haven't been changed in 20 years. That's like 90% of our city's rental stock, all built within 10 years of each other due to government subsidies which were then pulled resulting in NO rental buildings built for like 30 years.

My place is about 1350 a month, it's in a gorgeous 1940's building with thick walls and all the original hardware and details. We also opted to get a private garage because the alternative is very unreliable street parking. We could probably go car-free and save $70 a month for the garage but it also makes great storage space and having a car is still pretty nice even when you live downtown.

Financially it seems a bit too expensive for us, but doing the math it's still not even 1/3 of our income and they say that's the max you should spend. A lot of people seem to be spending 1/2 their income on their rents these days. We're still managing to save each month but it's obviously not as good as when our rent was $200. My wife still thinks we can go to europe every year or so but I think after the dust settles over the next year and our new financial reality sinks in she'll realize it's europe every year or retirement.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Baronjutter, you are now every personal banker/mortgage broker's worst nightmare.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Jesus, the hits just keep coming: http://business.time.com/2014/01/17/canada-has-its-own-housing-bubble-and-its-about-to-burst/

quote:

Ever since the real estate bubble burst in the United States in 2007, observers have pointed to Canada as an example of a well-regulated financial system that has avoided many of the regulatory mistakes that helped lead to an American crash. But Canadians weren’t able to perch on their high horse for very long, as a bubble of their own has been inflating for the past couple years. And now many analysts are watching for that bubble to burst, and soon.

We must be pretty close to the point that no credible financial news source has not expressed concern about Canada.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
What is the exposure of the Canadian government at this point to a housing crisis?

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Legally, the CMHC has a $600 billion cap on debt it can insure, which they tend to stay pretty close to (560 bil in Q3). More practically, if the banks start to detonate from a default crisis, the government will step in for considerably more than that to shore them up, just like the '08 crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://comoxvalley.en.craigslist.ca/apa/4290747090.html