Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.
How do you think crowds will be this weekend? (specifically MGM on Sunday).

Also looks like Great Movie Ride is getting updated!
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-disney-turner-classic-movies-20141126-story.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Soooo

Is DisneyWorld going to have a lot of new star wars stuff? because that would just be aces

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
That the assumption. Studios is probably going to get a Star Wars "land" along with whatever Pixar stuff they throw in.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
A bunch of Star Wars stuff would be the greatest thing ever. Although I think MGM is about to be Pixar/Star Wars land in the next 3-5 years.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
How long does the haunted mansion overlay stay up at Disneyland?

Im planning to go in early January...

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
Until the first week of January. It's usually up mid-September until the weekend after New Years!

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Since my wife and I are basically going to be on our own for Christmas, we're going to drive over to Orlando for a night and hit up Downtown Disney and a park or two. Have they made much progress on Downtown in a while? How miserable is it to park and navigate on foot?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
It's still under heavy construction with the new parking garages nearing completion so parking is a hot mess. The area of Pleasure Island that remained has been demo'ed by what I gather. I refuse to go near the place in the state that it is in but I am sure the majority of the shopping areas are usable because Disney would never do something to lose out on money.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

demonR6 posted:

It's still under heavy construction with the new parking garages nearing completion so parking is a hot mess. The area of Pleasure Island that remained has been demo'ed by what I gather. I refuse to go near the place in the state that it is in but I am sure the majority of the shopping areas are usable because Disney would never do something to lose out on money.

Right, I was there a few weeks ago and the shops were all open but parking was madness. They had people parking across the street in the Team building lot. That was the last weekend of F&W / marathon so on an off day it might not be so bad but not sure how many off days you're going to get between now and New Years.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 8, 2014

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
drat. Sounds like we'll be getting a taxi from the hotel to go Downtown again then. That's what we did last time and it was worth every penny. Glad to hear that the parking garages aren't open yet, contrary to what my wife was claiming she heard.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
They are 'testing' them.. you know Disney. Whatever that means.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

They are 'testing' them.. you know Disney. Whatever that means.

It's open to working cast members at the moment, and I think they divert some regular parking traffic there if they need the space.

In other news: I was part of the parade filming today. Had to pretend to care about Ariana Grande, hard work.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yes, I knew about CM's being able to use it. I have two family members that work in the marketplace and use the lot. Problem that is occurring now is guests are piggybacking behind the CM's before the gate closes and parking in the lot. Bravo.

Weather is stunning today for a parade too!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

Weather is stunning today for a parade too!

They are gonna have a hell of a time matching the three days to look the same.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
today was nice, cold as balls though.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

demonR6 posted:

today was nice, cold as balls though.

Man this is the only weather Florida's tolerable in.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Yesterday was very cold in the morning (I got to stand around in the cold for almost two hours before the park opened, hooray opening shift) but it warmed enough for me that I could ditch the winter coat part of my costume by like 11am.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I'm not exactly a first-timer, but the last time I visited WDW was almost ten years ago, and this was the only thread I could find.

My wife and I are planning to visit sometime next fall. Our main goal is to avoid the crowds, and September (after Labor Day and school starts) seems like a pretty good balance of smaller crowds and decent weather.

Is there a specific time that you can get better rates on rooms or packages? I know you want to do it at least 180 days in advance so you can make dining reservations, but is there any advantage to booking now, or should I wait until March? Is it likely any discounts will appear before then?

We did Caribbean Beach for our honeymoon (decent, but felt a little run-down, and what's with the double beds?), and Coronado Springs the next visit (nice, but we had a lot of issues with bus wait times). This time I'm trying to justify staying at one of the Boardwalk-area resorts. They're pricey, but the convenience seems nice -- there are tons of restaurants right there, and I think the only place that requires a bus from there is Animal Kingdom. Does anyone have experience with any of those resorts (Boardwalk Inn, Yacht Club, or Beach Club)?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

WhiteHowler posted:

When to go?

Here's a great resource:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/disney-rates.htm

Value season for the Boardwalk (for example) is August 16 - September 24. Those dates will vary slightly from resort to resort, and note that there are two different tiers of "Value Season."

Regarding deals...let's see if Braksgirl has any idea. FWIW, you'll usually get 15% to 30% off your room if you arrive during specific windows during value season, but you need to know about the deal when you're booking. Don't worry, Disney doesn't hide the room rate deals...they're heavily promoted. Get on their e-mail list and you'll never miss a vacation deal.

Lincoln fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 16, 2014

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm not exactly a first-timer, but the last time I visited WDW was almost ten years ago, and this was the only thread I could find.

My wife and I are planning to visit sometime next fall. Our main goal is to avoid the crowds, and September (after Labor Day and school starts) seems like a pretty good balance of smaller crowds and decent weather.

Is there a specific time that you can get better rates on rooms or packages? I know you want to do it at least 180 days in advance so you can make dining reservations, but is there any advantage to booking now, or should I wait until March? Is it likely any discounts will appear before then?

We did Caribbean Beach for our honeymoon (decent, but felt a little run-down, and what's with the double beds?), and Coronado Springs the next visit (nice, but we had a lot of issues with bus wait times). This time I'm trying to justify staying at one of the Boardwalk-area resorts. They're pricey, but the convenience seems nice -- there are tons of restaurants right there, and I think the only place that requires a bus from there is Animal Kingdom. Does anyone have experience with any of those resorts (Boardwalk Inn, Yacht Club, or Beach Club)?

I think you'll find a consensus here that Yacht / Beach / Boardwalk are great options. All three are walking distance from Epcot and a bit of a longer stroll to Studios. The boats run pretty often as well if your feet give out on you. If you are booking for September you might be hitting the Epcot food and wine festival, which is awesome.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
And here's a nice stroll all the way around Crescent Lake (Boardwalk, Beach Club, Yacht Club):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAKW2ji1Czk

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

September is pretty good. There will likely be some kind of discount, but I'm not sure what at this point. They never let us travel agents know in advance.

There's no reason not to book now if you know what you want. If you do book now, you're locked into the cheaper 2014 pricing which is good. Ticket prices and room rates will increase in the spring, I guarantee. You'll also have exactly the room you want on lock. If a discount does come up, you can always call in and have them rebook you. Here's the issue with that though, you'll have to revert to the current pricing to that date and sometimes there's limited availability for the promotion. I always say people should book the trip they can afford when they know they can afford it. Don't hang around and wait for free dining or whatever because there's never a guarantee you'll get it. All that said, I would be happy to help you out. Part of my service is hanging out on the phone for several hours at a time when a promotion comes up. Because trust me, you'll be hanging out on the phone forever when it does.

Also, Caribbean Beach is undergoing renovation right now. They've upgraded some of the rooms to queen beds and likely will have done even more by next Fall. But you really can't go wrong with any of the Deluxes in the Epcot area.

If you want to shoot me a PM, I'd be happy to help.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.
We are fiddling around trying to come up with a general plan for a Disney week in a few years when my kiddos are bigger, nothing is really planned out so far but I'm wondering about a few details and hoping you guys can advise.

We are debating whether to do a longer trip and include the water parks as an option versus staying at an on grounds hotel with a bitchin pool area. The kids will only be 4/5 when we go so they aren't going to be speed sliding or anything, so I wondered which would be more worthwhile. Do any of the hotel pools have a lot of novelty splashy areas for them to go wild on? I know there are bunches to pick from but I'm having trouble finding a resource that compares the swimming from place to place.

Sort of related, but are there aquarium or undersea type areas at the parks? I am terrified of them and sometimes they come up when it's unexpected so I want to steer clear. I know it's a weird request but I figure with Mermaid and Nemo it's bound to come up.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MockTurtle posted:

We are fiddling around trying to come up with a general plan for a Disney week in a few years when my kiddos are bigger, nothing is really planned out so far but I'm wondering about a few details and hoping you guys can advise.

We are debating whether to do a longer trip and include the water parks as an option versus staying at an on grounds hotel with a bitchin pool area. The kids will only be 4/5 when we go so they aren't going to be speed sliding or anything, so I wondered which would be more worthwhile. Do any of the hotel pools have a lot of novelty splashy areas for them to go wild on? I know there are bunches to pick from but I'm having trouble finding a resource that compares the swimming from place to place.

Sort of related, but are there aquarium or undersea type areas at the parks? I am terrified of them and sometimes they come up when it's unexpected so I want to steer clear. I know it's a weird request but I figure with Mermaid and Nemo it's bound to come up.

It's pretty easy to find Disney hotels that have pools with multiple (small-to-medium) slides, fountains, etc. I know off the top of my head the French Quarter has a very kid-friendly pool but I think the other mid-range hotels have comparable pool features.

I think as far as underwater stuff it's mostly just the obvious. The Seas pavilion at Epcot has lots of live aquarium tanks and an underwater-themed Nemo ride that has some aquarium views, and the Voyage of the Little Mermaid is a simulated "underwater" ride (I do not believe it features any actual water, even through glass.)

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish
Does anyone know of a reputable online store where I might be able to purchase some WDW-exclusive items, like, say... this fine limited edition Stitch MagicBand? Well aware they don't work outside WDW yet, but kind of regret not picking one up as a keepsake last time I was in Orlando.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

PkerUNO posted:

Does anyone know of a reputable online store where I might be able to purchase some WDW-exclusive items, like, say... this fine limited edition Stitch MagicBand? Well aware they don't work outside WDW yet, but kind of regret not picking one up as a keepsake last time I was in Orlando.

What's the level of urgency? One of us locals may be able to pick one up and ship it out to you.

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish
Not urgent, it's not for Christmas or anything. That would be awesome though, please let me know!

EDIT: Should probably point put I'm in the UK.

PkerUNO fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 16, 2014

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

MockTurtle posted:

If you have kids around 4 or 5, I would think the resort pool areas would be sufficient. Lots of them have slides (Moderate and Deluxe resorts) and tons of them have splash zones for littles. I just think that the cost of the waterparks would be a deterrent if they're too little to ride the majority of the slides. From my own personal experience, Grand Floridian has probably the best splash zone. It's Alice in Wonderland themed and it's only a couple of years old. Art of Animation probably has the best pool area with the large Nemo themed pool (with underwater speakers!) and a splash zone right next to it.

For steering clear of fish tanks, stay out of The Seas at Epcot.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
The Coronado had a pretty nice slide that a 4-5 year old would enjoy.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Braksgirl posted:

For steering clear of fish tanks, stay out of The Seas at Epcot.

Yep. It's just GIANT multistory floor to ceiling windows that look into a giant fish tank. If that kind of thing freaks out you out, stay away.

Although you are missing out on a neat effect in the Finding Nemo ride, where they have the animated characters IN the fish tank. It's obvious how they do it but it still has that bit of Disney magic that makes it feel real

edit: Art of Animation resort has a pool for all four of its themes and they're all really cool. The Finding Nemo one is the biggest I think.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Art of Animation has a pool for 3 of its themes. Lion King theme does not have a pool. The Cars pool and Little Mermaid pools are quiet pools and do not have the splash zone or any of the children's activities. The Cars pool is actually pretty cute though because it has the cones set up kind of like little cabanas.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Braksgirl posted:

Art of Animation has a pool for 3 of its themes. Lion King theme does not have a pool. The Cars pool and Little Mermaid pools are quiet pools and do not have the splash zone or any of the children's activities. The Cars pool is actually pretty cute though because it has the cones set up kind of like little cabanas.

The Lion King instead has a "playground" that consists of the bones of an elephant and the hyena characters. It's creepy as poo poo.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

PkerUNO posted:

Not urgent, it's not for Christmas or anything. That would be awesome though, please let me know!

EDIT: Should probably point put I'm in the UK.

I live just a couple of miles from the park so if no one else local is going over the next few days then I will gladly go and get them for you. I am heading out of town for a few days returning this weekend so I will check when I return. Shipping overseas is no problem if you are okay paying for shipping it cannot be that much.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.
Thanks for all the pool ideas, I think we will just go that route and end up skipping the water parks. As for the Nemo ride, I got curious and youtubed it and didn't even make it through the youtube video. I am a supreme wimp I guess :)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

MockTurtle posted:

Thanks for all the pool ideas, I think we will just go that route and end up skipping the water parks. As for the Nemo ride, I got curious and youtubed it and didn't even make it through the youtube video. I am a supreme wimp I guess :)

Little Mermaid might be viable, same with Pirates. Do you know specifically what freaks you out or is it just a general feeling of not comfortable?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Thanks Braksgirl. Once we figure out the dates I'll send you a PM. Should be mid-September (at least a week after Labor Day), and we're currently debating resorts. I want to stay at the Boardwalk Inn; my wife thinks it's a waste of money. When I pointed out how long we waited for buses at Caribbean and Coronado, I think she started to come around.

A question for anyone who might know: Does the "Water Park Fun and More" ticket add-on still cover the miniature golf courses? They're not listed on the ticket add-on purchase page, but if I search the official WDW site there's another page that includes them. It sounds dumb, but Disney World has some of the best miniature golf courses in the country, and we try to play all four courses when we visit.

MockTurtle posted:

You have an odd nickname for someone with such an aversion to ocean-y stuff.

Be aware that Disney World is surrounded by ponds, lakes, and rivers (it was basically built in a swamp), so if you have a problem being around large bodies of water, you might have some difficulty.

Otherwise, just stay away from The Seas and the Coral Reef restaurant at Epcot. I can't think of anyplace else with a big side-view aquarium, unless something else has opened up in the last few years.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

MockTurtle posted:

I understand that the Yacht Club/Beach Club pool complex, Stormalong Bay, is so popular they have to restrict it to people who are actually staying at Y&B. There's a sand-bottom pool (the sand is fake and designed to sink to the bottom so the water stays clear), a wrecked pirate ship to slide out of, a lazy river, and three whirlpool spas. The main downside is that Y&B are deluxe resorts with a price tag to match. Beach Club is considered more kid-friendly than Yacht Club, but either would probably be good.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

WhiteHowler posted:

Thanks Braksgirl. Once we figure out the dates I'll send you a PM. Should be mid-September (at least a week after Labor Day), and we're currently debating resorts. I want to stay at the Boardwalk Inn; my wife thinks it's a waste of money. When I pointed out how long we waited for buses at Caribbean and Coronado, I think she started to come around.

A question for anyone who might know: Does the "Water Park Fun and More" ticket add-on still cover the miniature golf courses? They're not listed on the ticket add-on purchase page, but if I search the official WDW site there's another page that includes them. It sounds dumb, but Disney World has some of the best miniature golf courses in the country, and we try to play all four courses when we visit.

It includes Fantasia Gardens and Winter Summerland and you have to visit both before 4 pm.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pththya-lyi posted:

There's a sand-bottom pool (the sand is fake and designed to sink to the bottom so the water stays clear), a wrecked pirate ship to slide out of, a lazy river, and three whirlpool spas.

It's called Zeobrite.. great stuff. I even use it in my aquariums on recommendation by someone I know who works at one of the theme parks that use it in their large aquariums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
HEY BRAKSGIRL,

Do you know of a Disneyland version of this:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/disney-rates.htm

I'm trying to find a rack rate calendar for the Grand Californian.