Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I appreciated that Chapell spelled out the problem with Azami's idea in this very chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

The basic premise of this setting is that food battles improve cooking skill. Azami's 1000 year food reich fundamentally rejects this idea. Any new members of the elite 10 won't have gotten there via shokugekis, they will probably just be chosen because of their preexisting skill sets which means their talents and experience won't progress as much.

I'm pretty sure this is the exact point the comic is trying to make. This system he's suggesting is an absurdly bad idea, especially when you consider the rules and theme's of this story.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Alacron posted:

So, is this gonna end with Azami getting replaced? Or is there going to be a redemption arc where he learns to appreciate different culinary styles embraces the power of nudity?

Either grandpa comes back, Alice's dad shows up or Doujima gets his chance to shine!

I prefer these options in reverse order.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Yes, but none of them would have any experience in developing their own dishes and techniques. So, since anyone on the new elite 10 would have to enroll in tootsuki fully trained exactly what is the point of the school? It is actually counterproductive for Azami's goal, since that would result in vast numbers of mediocre graduates and both fewer and less skilled elites.

He doesn't want to develop new dishes and techniques he wants to spread a bland static elite brand of cooking and basically stagnate all progress. Also im sure he believes greatness is born not achieved.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Angry Grimace posted:

Either grandpa comes back, Alice's dad shows up or Doujima gets his chance to shine!

I hadn't considered Dojima contesting Azami's takeover, but that would be an interesting turn of events.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I think the cries of "This plan is stupid as this is gonna kill Totsuki" are largely irrelevant because this whole thing, hell Azami's entire character, is about using anything that he gets his mitts on to further his own ends.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if his endgame was to largely leave Totsuki an automated AzSoc (:shrug:) Indoctrinated Chef Factory, leave it to do (maybe completely break Erina to the point of acting as puppet priest of the new order) and to pull this off on a larger scale.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Angry Grimace posted:

You read my mind. :cool::respek::cool:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Davincie posted:

What we must fight for is to safeguard the existence and reproduction of our cuisine and our chefs, the sustenance of our dishes and the purity of our food, the freedom and independence of Tootstuki, so that our people may mature for the fulfilment of the mission allotted it by the creator of the universe. Every thought and every idea, every doctrine and all knowledge, must serve this purpose. And everything must be examined from this point of view and used or rejected according to its utility

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

The basic premise of this setting is that food battles improve cooking skill. Azami's 1000 year food reich fundamentally rejects this idea. Any new members of the elite 10 won't have gotten there via shokugekis, they will probably just be chosen because of their preexisting skill sets which means their talents and experience won't progress as much.

I'm really not sure how much of this will be dramatically declared in front of an audience, whose minds are then blown. Also they probably end up drooling?

In context of this manga I would imagine that revelation would cause everyones clothes to explode off of their bodies and they would spontaneously orgasm.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Angry Grimace posted:

The Naked Muscle Legacy.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
While Azami's system is definitely terrible in the long run, it's going to have a lot of short-term appeal to a large percentage of the current students who worry about failing. What's going to be more interesting is how he convinced the Elite 10, unless he guaranteed that they would be members of central.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

While Azami's system is definitely terrible in the long run, it's going to have a lot of short-term appeal to a large percentage of the current students who worry about failing. What's going to be more interesting is how he convinced the Elite 10, unless he guaranteed that they would be members of central.

Isn't an Elite spot something that can be contested via Shokugeki? You figure under this system that's done with.

Wark Say posted:

The Naked Muscle Legacy.
:toot: Ul-tuh-mit, Muscle! Ul-tuh-mit, Muscle! :toot:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ConanThe3rd posted:

Isn't an Elite spot something that can be contested via Shokugeki? You figure under this system that's done with.
That's certainly possible, but they seem like the ones who can win those easily and who also have a strong sense of their own style that might not mesh with doing everything central's way.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
He already said that the elite 10 is forming the base of central right?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Azami made a good point about his school system being a more stable path to success. The school had a crazy failure rate under the old system, so while all it did was turn out great chefs with original ideas it also left a huge portion of the student body in the dust. I think after Azami is ousted or reformed we'll see things change a bit with less strict requirements/grading and a higher estimated graduation rate. Basically, you'd make a space for the chefs who don't have elite skills, but are still willing to put in the time to learn how to cook dishes that the top students have developed.

The one downside of leniency is that it hurts the reputation of the school slightly since it's no longer a complete hell to get a diploma, but since in this setting the school is the god-tier super elite cooking academy in all the world it can afford to take a mild hit like that.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm not put on the impression that Students that flunk out of Totsuki are 100% out on their rear end if they drop out. They're still the worst of the best.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 19, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

Early on it was mentioned that even being in Tootsuki at all was good for your resume, so it still works out even for people who fell behind.

Yeah, but it still means that the expelled people learn a lot less (for basically no reason). The only benefit I can imagine to all the expulsions is that it might make the students take everything more seriously. But in reality extreme punishment is not actually a good way to teach and motivate people. Normally I'd ignore the expulsion plot point, since originally it was just meant as a way to show that the school was hardcore and give high stakes for Soma's conflicts, but since the manga itself is now bringing up the effectiveness/morality of the expulsions it's worth mentioning. While Azami's plan is obviously terrible, the reason it's terrible is that it mandates that no one other than the elite 10 can create their own food and eliminates all clubs/organizations. Ideally, instead of just returning things to how they were before, they'll end up with a better system than either the starting one or Azami's.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm not put on the impression that Students that flunk out of Totsuki are 100% out on their rear end if they drop out. They're still the worst of the best.

Well, Jouichirou is doing a good job proving your point.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Most of the kids that flunk out of the High School section come from the Middle School section, which means they have a complete education in all subjects relevant to the food industry. They might not have the chops to be the best of the best, but they're still highly employable.

Plus, despite the stated failure rate, so far most expulsions have been under strict but not bullshit criteria, except for Shinomiya and that kid who hosed up with the shampoo. If the kid fails the stagiare, then it's pretty clear they don't have the ability needed at the highest levels. Same with the 100 serving challenge.

Plus, even 'middling' appears to be enough to pull through at least first year, remember what Isshiki talked about during the tournament finals.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 19, 2015

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Once upon a time having at least some college attendance was a major feather in your cap, even if you didn't graduate.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Tell me a story about how easy it was to get a job back in the 70's and 80's, grandpa!

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The end of this arc is basically gonna be Caesar's speech about Hegelian Dialectics in Fallout:New Vegas.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kyte posted:

Most of the kids that flunk out of the High School section come from the Middle School section, which means they have a complete education in all subjects relevant to the food industry. They might not have the chops to be the best of the best, but they're still highly employable.

Plus, despite the stated failure rate, so far most expulsions have been under strict but not bullshit criteria, except for Shinomiya and that kid who hosed up with the shampoo. If the kid fails the stagiare, then it's pretty clear they don't have the ability needed at the highest levels. Same with the 100 serving challenge.

In the context of this manga (where it's basically just stated as a fact that the kids expelled didn't have what it takes), yeah, but in reality it would still be a terrible idea to expel people based upon a single test/event. Failure is a big part of learning and there are countless reasons why someone might perform poorly on one of the "get expelled if you're not up to par" events, yet still have the potential to become a great chef.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Souma's dad didn't graduate and he seems to be doing fine.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The question is, is tootsuki a place meant to teach kids to become professional chefs or is it just a great big wankfest meant to pad resumes? I'm not really sure if the manga has answered this.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The question is, is tootsuki a place meant to teach kids to become professional chefs or is it just a great big wankfest meant to pad resumes? I'm not really sure if the manga has answered this.

A little from column A, a little from column B.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's the former but many of the students see it as the latter, but it is these students that are more likely to flunk out anyway.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

They've brought up that you don't actually need to graduate to become a working chef. Then again, they also retconned how much of a superstar you are when you graduate when Shinomiya was shown taking a menial job as a line chef after graduating in the No. 1 spot.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Angry Grimace posted:

They've brought up that you don't actually need to graduate to become a working chef. Then again, they also retconned how much of a superstar you are when you graduate when Shinomiya was shown taking a menial job as a line chef after graduating in the No. 1 spot.

Just because you graduate valedictorian doesn't mean you're going to have the capital to start your own business.

But drat you'd think the dude would have investors lined up around the block at least.

what are the odds of a No.1 grad from tootsuki being such a huge rear end in a top hat that no one wants to give them money to start a business, I wonder?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, Shinomiya opened a french restaurant in paris after learning to cook french food at a japanese high school. That he succeeded at all is supposed to be amazing.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Well, Shinomiya opened a french restaurant in paris after learning to cook french food at a japanese high school. That he succeeded at all is supposed to be amazing.

Also, we don't really know what Tootsuki's reputation was back then. It might have been regarded as one of the best schools in Japan instead of THE school for pro chefs in Japan.

Also, I'm rereading from the point where the Elite Ten are all introduced, and I think I'm starting to see why Eishi Tsukasa (AKA the current First Seat) would vote for Azami to replace Senzaemon as the new director. He probably just wants less responsibility upon his shoulders (and thus less things he feels he needs to have control over).

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Elfgames posted:

Souma's dad didn't graduate and he seems to be doing fine.

I don't remember this, when did the manga mention it?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

blizzardvizard posted:

I don't remember this, when did the manga mention it?

It was after their little battle in the dorm I think

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I honestly would've prefered if the side-story manga was focused on Hinako just to see if there were other people besides Shinomiya that bear-clawed her due to her getting all up in their grill. Failing that, a comic about a younger Jouichiro and how he lived out his "stray-dog" days. I honestly just want to read cooking papa but with Saeki's drawing style.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah he's fighting racism.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So if what I'm hearing from the grape vine regarding 140 is true (Shoukugeki's are basically kangaroo courts in Central's Pocket) this has gotten :unsmigghh: to the n'th degree.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 23, 2015

asur
Dec 28, 2012

gwrtheyrn posted:

It was after their little battle in the dorm I think

Didn't they just mention that his dad was the second seat or did I completely misread that and it was someone else?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

So if what I'm hearing from the grape vine regarding 140 is true (Shoukugeki's are basically kangaroo courts in Central's Pocket) this has gotten :unsmigghh: to the n'th degree.

For some reason the chapter has been out for 2 days in Portuguese. I don't even know.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Angry Grimace posted:

For some reason the chapter has been out for 2 days in Portuguese. I don't even know.

Just accept that other languages are more likely to translate the manga chapters before English does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

asur posted:

Didn't they just mention that his dad was the second seat or did I completely misread that and it was someone else?

He was the second seat, but he dropped out before graduating for whatever reason.