Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Me either. I use emeals and 4 meals is enough for my daughter and me for the week however it still costing me 100-120 a week in food which just seems crazy to me.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

The correct way to grocery shop: around the perimeter. Correlated: Learn to cook.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Came here to post "around the perimeter." Sometimes you need to go to the inside for like rice or beans or whatever dry food you need (cheap) but your meals which should be primarily fresh fruits and vegetables and meat as your tastes and budget allow.

ZHamburglar
Aug 24, 2006
I have a penis.
I got this app last week after wanting to become a responsible adult. I also got my first credit check ever. All combined I have close to $30K in student loan debt that I really want to pay off as quick as possible, but I also collect firearms which burns through money. Hopefully I'll be able to save enough money to have a positive Net Worth in a few years.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Firearms are cool. Just make sure you budget for them! I have a shooting budget line item.

Thankfully (not really), I live in :ca:, so I did all my ammo stockpiling last year prior to the new laws kicking in. No reason for me to buy now that I can't buy any online, so that keeps my shooting spending in check.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

My free year is almost up and I'm not going to pay a subscription so I've been trying to find an alternative software. I've tried fentury, toshl, gnucash and looked at others but haven't found one that can handle manual imports as well as ynab can.
What other budget software can you recommend?

(What would be the best thread to ask this question in?)

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

ZHamburglar posted:

I got this app last week after wanting to become a responsible adult. I also got my first credit check ever. All combined I have close to $30K in student loan debt that I really want to pay off as quick as possible, but I also collect firearms which burns through money. Hopefully I'll be able to save enough money to have a positive Net Worth in a few years.

That net worth line crossing zero is a great feeling! Good luck!

ZHamburglar
Aug 24, 2006
I have a penis.

George H.W. oval office posted:

That net worth line crossing zero is a great feeling! Good luck!

Thanks. I just starting putting into my 401K for the first time at age 30, but I have a 50% match, so hopefully that'll help a bit. I plan on using my 4th quarter bonus to help pay off one of my student loans, which should also knock down the debt a bit. One thing that is really saving me is that my share of rent is only $600, while most people I work with pay $1500. Hopefully with YNAB I can save up my money and budget it so I can pay off the loans in giant lumps rather than paying a few extra hundred here and there.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

ZHamburglar posted:

Thanks. I just starting putting into my 401K for the first time at age 30, but I have a 50% match, so hopefully that'll help a bit. I plan on using my 4th quarter bonus to help pay off one of my student loans, which should also knock down the debt a bit. One thing that is really saving me is that my share of rent is only $600, while most people I work with pay $1500. Hopefully with YNAB I can save up my money and budget it so I can pay off the loans in giant lumps rather than paying a few extra hundred here and there.

Welcome to adulthood. Expect the unexpected.

Being an adult means some months paying giant lumps, and other months paying a few hundred here and there.

Put some money aside for emergencies (doesn't have to be much, I aim for 100 a month, a goal of 1K total), even when you are paying off debt.
So that one month where the world just takes a big all poop on our head, you won't be in trouble.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

LookieLoo posted:

My free year is almost up and I'm not going to pay a subscription so I've been trying to find an alternative software. I've tried fentury, toshl, gnucash and looked at others but haven't found one that can handle manual imports as well as ynab can.
What other budget software can you recommend?

(What would be the best thread to ask this question in?)

MANUAL imports?

Brother, get yourself financier.

Importing transactions manually is calming and cathartic for me, and really helped me get an eye on our spending. It's like $12/year for the online service, and free if you use it locally.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

MANUAL imports?

Brother, get yourself financier.

Importing transactions manually is calming and cathartic for me, and really helped me get an eye on our spending. It's like $12/year for the online service, and free if you use it locally.

How is reporting out of financier? I would love to not pay the $45 renewal for YNAB in September if there's a better option. I do all the imports manually as well so if that's the only downside i'm on board 100%

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Spokes posted:

How is reporting out of financier?

I don't understand this question. I do all my budgeting in financier, so I don't really know what you mean by reporting?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Financier sounds nice and (more importantly) cheaper than YNAB but I already have all my categories, transaction history, and goals in YNAB. :effort:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I assume they mean the kind of reporting tools that YNAB4 gives you (lets you break down your net worth, spending trends, spending by category or payee, etc.). Last I checked nYNAB was awful at this and I don't think Financier was much better

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Financier has none of that.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Is it pretty trivial to use Financier in, say, mobile Safari? If I have to remember to enter transactions later, that would be a deal-killer.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Is it pretty trivial to use Financier in, say, mobile Safari? If I have to remember to enter transactions later, that would be a deal-killer.

No, not at all. It's hell to use it on anything but a desktop.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

100 degrees Calcium posted:

The reason I left Financier is that there is no app, and and the "app" they did make was really just a suppose mobile-friendly version of the desktop.

I tried many budgeting software, once I made the choice to commit to actually making changes, YNAB was the easiest to use. I wish I had the $45 deal, I will be paying $85.000 in 20 days. :/

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

You'll have to pull YNAB4 out of my cold, dead fingers before I give it up willingly.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Now that I think about it, I only really need to immediately track wallet spending. Spending from my checking account is tracked by my bank and I reconcile all that manually anyway. And wallet spending is so little of what I do.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I solve that problem by having a "Black Hole" payee in YNAB that all of the money in my wallet is immediately assigned to.

It mostly works out because I infrequently carry cash and mostly use it on things that won't take cards.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Which category do your payments to Black Hole go in? How much do you put in that category?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
It comes out of the "entertainment" category. I budget an adequate amount towards it.

(My usual cash spending is less than $5/month on average, so I don't worry about it very much.)

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Okay, I get it now. My wallet spending is a little less focused, since it can sometimes be out of my food category. Sounds handy though.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

The nynab plugin fixes most of the crappy items in the vanilla nynab version.

Also, the nynab app isn't complete poo poo. I'll give it at least that much

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Chaotic Flame posted:

You'll have to pull YNAB4 out of my cold, dead fingers before I give it up willingly.

Very same

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I said he same until the iOS app started becoming a crashy piece of gently caress. I’d have to force-kill it 4 of 5 times I opened it and it got super frustrating. It had been 10 months since the latest app update as well.

I figured it was only a matter of time until a Dropbox API functionality update killed it for good.

I got nYNAB to a decent place with the toolkit and it’s been alright. CCs are still stupid but it’s.... ok. I’m salty about the subscription model but whatever.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Yeah, I'm okay paying more for a hosted service that won't use my account data to sell ads against my purchases . People lose their poo poo over that because $50>$10

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

What do you guys think is a fair monthly price for a service like ynab, in comparison to other services? And I'm not asking the cheapos who refuse to pay anything.

I think $5 was fair, but whatever they bumped it up to felt too much. Hell I pay $10 for Spotify and that's just music, but I'm convinced good budgeting software saves me more money over time.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Chaotic Flame posted:

My plan is to keep using it until either Adobe Air or the Dropbox API gets too dead for it to keep working, and then probably come to this thread in a panic for alternatives.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
I think Financier is so cheap that people will pay for it without really thinking at $1/month. It helps that it has a browser storage free model.

nYNAB seems to have defined the sweet spot of $5/month and then pissed people off by jacking up the price above that. The jacked up price while still running a feature defecit compared to YNAB4 shows that there's not a ton of competition in the space.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

I would pay $50ish USD, so around $65 CND. I should point out that $85 USD is not 85 CND, it is about $110 CND.

I also do not do subscriptions such as Spotify, and I do not have a Netflix account as it does not contain content I care to see.

I listen to a lot of podcasts, and save up a few bucks here and there and throw in some cash to those I love, but as I only make $200 on a good week, I can't do it as often as I would like. :/

I just find it frustrating that I paid for a two year VPN subscription that was less than YNAB one year subscription cost.

http://www.budgetwise.io looks promising. If the developer made it a higher priority, he could make it a good competitive system against YNAB.

EDIT: Oh my gosh it is so close to release, I can taste it. Please BudgetWise.io, lunch before my YNAB trial expires. You got 21 days. >:3

DrNewton fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 18, 2018

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Early Access release is July it looks like...

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Looking at the feature list, it sounds like a perfect YNAB replacement. Maybe when it releases YNAB will lower their price again!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Is any digital anything just pay once and done these days?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I just wish I could transfer my nYNAB history over to a new product.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

No Butt Stuff posted:

I just wish I could transfer my nYNAB history over to a new product.

Budgetwise.io is working on that actually.

The only thing I am wary of is that he wants to incorporate forecasting, which is something I do not believe in what so ever.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Chaotic Flame posted:

The problem is that running servers costs money and more users means more servers and more backups/complexity/monitoring/support etc.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Chaotic Flame posted:

You're looking at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

FateFree posted:

The problem is that running servers costs money and more users mean more servers and more backups/complexity/monitoring/support etc.

But I don't want cloud/servers. Let me download the software onto my laptop, and do it on there. I also hate how nearly everything needs internet to work when I need to do something simple and could have done without the internet.

The thing is, many people have a limited income and monthly internet allowance. By making software all internet/yearly subscription, it is creating a form of classism.