Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

NeoSeeker posted:

I liked Dead Island until it turned into borderlands.

2 questions.

1. Which dead island is better? (I played the first on ps3) Does riptide stand alone with enough content to justify purchasing it over the first game?

2. Are there any mods that turn it more into a visceral, edge of your seat zombie smashing game? (the little rpg doodads like health sprites above enemies heads ruin it). I think I've seen talk of a mod that turns it from a spreadsheet into the game it was supposed to be.

Riptide is more of the same but a little worse from what I understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Riptide is more of the same but a little worse from what I understand.

The game designers seemed to have gone "How can we make overworld travel more tedious? Oh, let's add boats, long winding river passages, and huge sections of the map you can only get to by boat! Plus all the bullshit driving you have to do as well to get to boat docks"

Really, getting a sequel out of Dead Island was extremely lucky. That they released a game that was literally a re-skin of the previous one without fixing any of the major problems and adding more should've been a huge red flag that they developers were incompetent hacks.

Dead Island: Wow, loving amazing trailer. Okay, the game isn't great, its got some major issues, but its the only FPS zombie hack'n'slash on the market so it'll get a pass.

Dead Island Riptide: ...this is the exact same loving game with the same problems as DI in addition to a new set of problems from all the generic poo poo they added.

Dead Island 2: Being hyped as more comical (so like Dead Rising) and in a different engine , so at the minimum it'll have to look better and have a different UI. Still probably going to be a bug ridden mess on release.

It did give a great gamer journalism moment from IGN though.

quote:

IGN's Greg Miller stated that although he found it to be 'great gory fun', it still contained bugs and glitches that were found in the first game. He also said that 'it was tempting to simply paste the original Dead Island review on the page and call it a day'. He praised the gameplay, co-op and the ability to import your save from the original, noting that the enemies you face are at scale with your level, so that the game gives you an appropriate challenge. He criticized the storyline and the overall look of the game. He went on to say that the game didn't do much to improve itself from its predecessor in terms of overall performance. However, he stated that the lackluster graphics and performance could be overlooked by how much fun the game is to play. He gave the game a 7.2

"Same essential game, recurring bugs from previous version, lovely story, bad graphics, more or less exactly the same as predecessor. GREAT FUN TO PLAY!"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Crypt of the Necrodancer is pretty amazing. That is all. Get it for your rhythm roguelike needs!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Evil Mastermind posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xT2rG_sLUc

It's nice to see games made from those "learn to program video games" books can make it big on Steam.

Female rock band.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

pentyne posted:

Really, getting a sequel out of Dead Island was extremely lucky. That they released a game that was literally a re-skin of the previous one without fixing any of the major problems and adding more should've been a huge red flag that they developers were incompetent hacks.

Dead Island: Wow, loving amazing trailer. Okay, the game isn't great, its got some major issues, but its the only FPS zombie hack'n'slash on the market so it'll get a pass.

Dead Island Riptide: ...this is the exact same loving game with the same problems as DI in addition to a new set of problems from all the generic poo poo they added.

Dead Island 2: Being hyped as more comical (so like Dead Rising) and in a different engine , so at the minimum it'll have to look better and have a different UI. Still probably going to be a bug ridden mess on release.
Wait what? Dead Island 2? What's Dying Light then? Last time I looked at it, it was Dead Island + Parkour.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dying Light and Dead Island 2 are different games. Dying Light is being made by the original Dead Island dev team that split from their publisher (who owned the IP). Not sure who is behind Dead Island 2.

I think this split is also why Riptide is basically the same game again.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Dying Light and Dead Island 2 are different games. Dying Light is being made by the original Dead Island dev team that split from their publisher (who owned the IP). Not sure who is behind Dead Island 2.

I think this split is also why Riptide is basically the same game again.

Yager.

As in the guys who made Spec Ops.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
There are about 20 Dead Island games and spinoffs in development. Or at least it feels that way. DI2 is being made by Yager, the Spec Ops: The Line devs. That game can go either way since they're talented when it comes to atmosphere and visual design but so-so at combat.

Then there's Dying Light, the Dead Island MOBA, and apparently a different sequel called Escape Dead Island. I'd be more surprised about so many installments in a series that hasn't had one genuinely good game if I hadn't seen Borderlands somehow grow into a franchise.

Looks like I took too long to write this post.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Rookersh posted:

Yager.

Spec Ops: The Line Yager?
:vince:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

There are about 20 Dead Island games and spinoffs in development. Or at least it feels that way. DI2 is being made by Yager, the Spec Ops: The Line devs. That game can go either way since they're talented when it comes to atmosphere and visual design but so-so at combat.

Then there's Dying Light, the Dead Island MOBA, and apparently a different sequel called Escape Dead Island. I'd be more surprised about so many installments in a series that hasn't had one genuinely good game if I hadn't seen Borderlands somehow grow into a franchise.

Looks like I took too long to write this post.

Honestly both have potential. A sillier Dead Island with better atmosphere/writing could be fun, and presumably they can just reuse the premade combat system of DI. Techland also has a history of uh, questionable design choices, so if Yager can figure out what made Dead Island fun ( hint, the idea of brutally slaughtering zombies in bright colorful resort style locations ) they could pull off a fun game.

And Fatshark is handling Escape, and they've always had a good handle on smaller scale games/combat systems. And the hallucinations/what is real idea could be interesting if used properly.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Croccers posted:

Spec Ops: The Line Yager?
:vince:

Yes, that's what Rookersh just posted.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

SynthOrange posted:

The Crypt of the Necrodancer is pretty amazing. That is all. Get it for your rhythm roguelike needs!

Does it have great music or are you using your own MP3s? I need to try a rhythm game with the new Lindsey Stirling album.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm playing with the game's soundtrack but apparently you can put your own in, though I havent tried that yet.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Everyone should get Lovely Planet. It's really good and cheap.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Rookersh posted:

Yager.

The gently caress? Why did they want to do it? That's just weird. I'd like to see them make the next CoD, or something.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
At least the greenlight bundle has one promising game I've been following the development of this one closely.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Ragequit posted:

Does it have great music or are you using your own MP3s? I need to try a rhythm game with the new Lindsey Stirling album.

Well can you listen for your self to make that judgment, I think it's pretty good with a few duds, has a Super Meat Boy and Rogue Legacy vibe to it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0u6FFlrmUA

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
I just wanted to report that the new Guardians of the Galaxy table for Pinball FX 2 is pretty great you guys.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've been trying out a whole bunch of games in my backlog recently, giving them half an hour each. Goddamn I've got so many poo poo games or stuff I dont have the patience for anymore. As well as stuff that outright doesnt work.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

From what I've seen of Dying Light it looks incredible (so far). I'm honestly expecting way more from it than Dead Island 2.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Im_Special posted:

Well can you listen for your self to make that judgment, I think it's pretty good with a few duds, has a Super Meat Boy and Rogue Legacy vibe to it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0u6FFlrmUA

It's the same composer as Super Meat Boy iirc.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is saying you got a Steam key to get into this weekends EVOLVE alpha a break of the NDA? Well I 'heard' from someone that people who got in got steam keys in their e-mail.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 2, 2014

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Im_Special posted:

Thanks for the link - I had only seen the trailer. My kids started dancing immediately when I started the first song. Pretty catchy stuff. I'll have to give this game a shot after Octodad and Sniper Elite V2. I think I am almost done with the latter - I just took out the massive rocket.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Yea when I start a necrodancer run my foot automatically starts tapping. the soundtrack is good and the game is fun. I haven't tried the bard yet though, which lets you play it turnbased rather than on the beat. Kind of seems like that's ignoring the point of the game and I might as well play dredmor in that case.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

The gently caress? Why did they want to do it? That's just weird. I'd like to see them make the next CoD, or something.
Spec Ops: The Line was a long, emotionally exhausting (the art department's research got into some serious poo poo...) slice of development hell for a game that, while critically acclaimed, didn't sell a whole lot, so you'll likely not see see a sequel or spiritual successor for a long, long time, if ever.

Meanwhile...

Eurogamer posted:

Dead Island 2 at E3 was a bit of a surprise for a couple of reasons.

One, it's being developed by Yager, the studio that made critical darling Spec Ops: The Line. I didn't see that one coming.

"Gotcha!" Yager producer Michael Kempson beams. "Yeah, it is a bit of a strange one. But it was just really great timing and kind of accidental."

This is how the story goes. Yager was finishing up Spec Ops when Dead Island came out. It went down pretty well - despite its problems - because of how easily co-op could be set up within the studio. Maybe it had something to do with being banned in Germany. We always want what we're not supposed to have, after all.

Then, Yager heard on the German game developer grapevine that Deep Silver was after pitches for Dead Island 2. In the summer of 2012 Yager put a few people on coming up with a pitch, met with the publisher and smashed it. Deep Silver gave Yager the thumbs up. Now, in the summer of 2014, Dead Island 2 is in the middle of development, and is due out on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in spring 2015.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Got to try out Defiance after it went F2P after a hiatus. It's a pretty easy recommendation - the shooting is fun, the gun loot experimentation is enjoyable, and F2P increased its population a bunch. Plus the show is still a guilty pleasure.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Tezzeract posted:

Got to try out Defiance after it went F2P after a hiatus. It's a pretty easy recommendation - the shooting is fun, the gun loot experimentation is enjoyable, and F2P increased its population a bunch. Plus the show is still a guilty pleasure.

I heard that a couple of months ago, they made a patch which badly hosed scaling and progression or something. Is that as big a deal as the Defiance thread made it seem, and is it fixed? I quite liked it to jump into occasionally, but if it's as messed up as they said it was...

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Awesome! posted:

Yea when I start a necrodancer run my foot automatically starts tapping. the soundtrack is good and the game is fun. I haven't tried the bard yet though, which lets you play it turnbased rather than on the beat. Kind of seems like that's ignoring the point of the game and I might as well play dredmor in that case.

Bard is excellent for trying to come up with strategies against bosses, think of it as practice mode more than anything. Also you can do hilarious speedruns with him. Ive finished hardcore mode today, probably going to practice more and eventually try to beat Aria mode. (half heart, dagger, if you miss a beat you DIE )

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rookersh posted:

Yager.

A lot of the creative talent behind Spec Ops: The Line is no longer with that company, so don't expect much. In fact, one of the reasons Spec Ops seemed a bit inconsistent is because of the shakeups that happened 75% of the way through development. One of the lead writers was the lead writer/designer for Bastion and Transistor. Not entirely sure where everyone else went.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

:argh: Valdis Story, why do you lock me into a room with a boss I'm clearly not supposed to be fighting at this point? Why not just gate off the room with any of the dozen gating methods you've showed so far?

Liking the game for the most part, but this is one stupid design decision. I mean it's so extremely easy to reach this area and it's not like the enemies there are any harder the normal fare so there's no reason to think some super-hard boss is laying in wait. At least my last save wasn't too far back.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Dead Island was boring as hell, not even the Fist of the North Star mod could keep my interest for long. Dead Rising is such a better series its not even funny.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Is it the Raven? He's hard but if I remember well there's a trick to beat him, he's very vulnerable to backstabs. Evade around him and stab him in the back repeatedly. Should go down pretty quick.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

tripwood posted:

Is it the Raven? He's hard but if I remember well there's a trick to beat him, he's very vulnerable to backstabs. Evade around him and stab him in the back repeatedly. Should go down pretty quick.

Nah, it's the Eye of Alagath. I'm literally not even putting the smallest of dents in it's life bar and I can only surmise that I'm not supposed to be here at level 6 or whatever I'm at.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Oh that's like the optional uber-boss you don't even need to fight to finish the game. I wouldn't even touch it on a first run, it's more of a NG+ thing.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Every time someone talks about Dead Island the first thing that always comes to mind is that tasteless women's torso they had as collectors edition bonus.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Insert name here posted:

Every time someone talks about Dead Island the first thing that always comes to mind is that tasteless women's torso they had as collectors edition bonus.
Or the one female PC that's called "Feminist Whore" in the game files. Real charmers, dose guys.

Also for people interested in Soul Suspect, its still 10 bucks cheaper over on Humble Store.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 2, 2014

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
I really want to like The Bureau: XCOM Declassified but I feel like the gameplay sits right in between the Mass Effect series and tactical turn based games like XCOM: Enemy Unknown, without doing anything as well as either ends of the spectrum. Having to manage your squadmates in battle is such a chore, and I don't even get to enjoy the gunplay with my own character because I'm constantly pausing the game to issue orders to the squad.

I'm playing on Veteran and I am only a few hours in, would the game be more enjoyable if I restarted it on either of the two lower difficulty levels or are my complaints going to still apply?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

homewrecker posted:

I really want to like The Bureau: XCOM Declassified but I feel like the gameplay sits right in between the Mass Effect series and tactical turn based games like XCOM: Enemy Unknown, without doing anything as well as either ends of the spectrum. Having to manage your squadmates in battle is such a chore, and I don't even get to enjoy the gunplay with my own character because I'm constantly pausing the game to issue orders to the squad.

I'm playing on Veteran and I am only a few hours in, would the game be more enjoyable if I restarted it on either of the two lower difficulty levels or are my complaints going to still apply?

Yeah it's the typical "your squadmates are worse than worthless and you're better off doing everything yourself". Just turn the difficulty down.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

homewrecker posted:

The gameplay wouldn't change much. The amount of hits it would take to kill enemies I think changes. And maybe the amount of enemies themselves and the frequency of types of attacks.

I think the game is less a 'enjoy my character's gunplay' and more a team based strategy game. Your squadmates are super important to your enjoyment and success of each mission, because a lot of the theatres are large enough to flank and reposition in a circle, rather than a triangle like a lot of other games. If it isn't floating your boat, you probably won't like it, even on easy - which is way too easy to be fun.

The gameplay having a 'main character' like it does really doesn't help with the general misconceptions about how to play the game in a fun way. It made it interesting, however. it was nice to have a slightly different system to learn.

I really enjoyed the game (edit: aside from the last half hour or so :argh:). It's too bad it's not doing anything for you.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

MooCowlian posted:

I heard that a couple of months ago, they made a patch which badly hosed scaling and progression or something. Is that as big a deal as the Defiance thread made it seem, and is it fixed? I quite liked it to jump into occasionally, but if it's as messed up as they said it was...

Don't think I got far enough to notice any difference. I seem to scale up to more difficult encounters though, so it doesn't seem to be so bad.

• Locked thread