Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

In Galicia the largest city is "La Coruna." In Spanish "la" means "the" but in Portuguese/Gallego it would be "a," which is feminine and "o" being masculine. "as" or "os" being the plural forms. In this city if you see a sign that says "La Coruna" there's a good chance the L would be spraypainted over or crossed out. They really like to preserve their history and are proud of it. They have a news channel in Gallego and any historical plaque throughout the city will have a side-by-side version in Spanish and one in Gallego. Everyone learns Gallego in school. I believe this is the only region of Spain where the local dialect is on their version of the SATs, making it much harder.

Anyways that lighthouse (tower of Hercules) pictured above is in A Coruna and is the oldest active Roman lighthouse in the world. It's highly misleading though. What you see is a mock up of what it once looked like. When you visit to get to the top you walk through an underground sort of passage which is where the original rubble/foundation of the lighthouse is. Those lines going up the side pay tribute to the supposed wooden planking/flooring that spiraled up the lighthouse on the outside, which is how the Romans wheeled wood to the top

The ruins of the original foundation. Again, highly overstated. When you hear the Roman bit you gander and think "wow that's a Roman structure still in use, amazing!"

Also in one of the suburbs they have this for some loving reason

Nostalgia4Dogges has a new favorite as of 01:57 on Oct 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Pretty cool they reconstructed it though.

Also I think there's still some Roman aqueducts still standing (though not in use afaik), which is pretty impressive. I heard somewhere that Roman cement or mortar has been surprisingly effective at withstanding the test of time. Apparently they only recently discovered that it was because they put volcanic ash in it (it had been an archeological riddle that it was so excellent). Apparently that made it more able to weather the weather, as it were.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 01:59 on Oct 2, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Also I think there's still some Roman aqueducts still standing (though not in use afaik), which is pretty impressive.

Roman sewers are still heavily used and I know they use Roman bridge foundations a lot. They built good poo poo

Here's a 2000 year old Roman bridge

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Roman sewers are still heavily used and I know they use Roman bridge foundations a lot. They built good poo poo

Here's a 2000 year old Roman bridge

Is that just cleaned up or? I mean the foundations look like they're old, but the top stuff lookes kinda newish.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Sorry yeah they just use the base foundation a lot from the old Roman bridges, so the lower bit of the pillars. The rest is new

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Is that just cleaned up or? I mean the foundations look like they're old, but the top stuff lookes kinda newish.

The Romans were way ahead of their time in street light technology.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Sorry yeah they just use the base foundation a lot from the old Roman bridges, so the lower bit of the pillars. The rest is new

Still cool though, that they're solid after 2 millennia.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

A lot of people don't know Portugal has two chains of islands, Madeira and Azores. Ronaldo is from the latter. I want to say Madeira is two-three islands and Azores is 10+. They're not very popular as tourist destinations because they're very expensive to visit and you might as well go elsewhere. Mainland Portuguese that have family there receive discounted airfare

Madeira is just a huge volcanic island (I mean yeah all islands are but its just volcanic rock all over)

Columbus took a port stop in Azores and part of the linking theory to the "Portugese Columbus" bit was that he knew exactly where to go and stopped there for a while, not showing a sense of urgency to spread news of his discoveries

Portugal were arguably the first to discover these islands, there were no indigenous people.

The islands always received little support and at some point there was a large struggle. Most all Portugese in America came from these islands. Many went to Hawaii, because gotta keep living that island life. So that's how so many Portuguese ended up in Hawaii. I believe it's the 3rd or 4th most spoken language in Hawaii.

People also don't realize how many places do in fact speak Portuguese. The Cape Verde islands off of West Africa, now independent, speak Portuguese. East Timor, the place near Australia. You'll find it old locals in Macau-China, and Goa-India, that still speak Portuguese. These were former Portuguese ports/forts. Then of course there's Angola and Mozambique. Angola had the huge civil war.

Portugal had a rough time and a literal totalitarian dictatorship through the 80s and I think 90s, Salazar was the dude. It was Russian-esque with literal Gestapo, political prisoners, torture, the whole bit.

Sorry for the poo poo posting here i'm on my phone but y'all have me on a tangent I can talk about this stuff all day :)

Thanks for the infordump on Portugal and related history. Just a little nitpick, Madeira is a fairly popular tourist destination for Europeans. While I've never been there I know plenty of not particularly well traveled people who've been there ;)

So I contribute some content, there is a fun Portugese word "Desenrascanco" meaning to slap together a solution to a problem at the last minute, i.e. MacGyver the poo poo out of everything which I like to think is how they built their empire.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The Portugese ran a massive slave trade network during the 16th century. It was big enough that Toyotomi Hideyoshi got really mad about Japanese people being sold to slavers.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

A lot of people don't know Portugal has two chains of islands, Madeira and Azores. Ronaldo is from the latter. I want to say Madeira is two-three islands and Azores is 10+. They're not very popular as tourist destinations because they're very expensive to visit and you might as well go elsewhere. Mainland Portuguese that have family there receive discounted airfare

Madeira is just a huge volcanic island (I mean yeah all islands are but its just volcanic rock all over)

Columbus took a port stop in Azores and part of the linking theory to the "Portugese Columbus" bit was that he knew exactly where to go and stopped there for a while, not showing a sense of urgency to spread news of his discoveries

Portugal were arguably the first to discover these islands, there were no indigenous people.

The islands always received little support and at some point there was a large struggle. Most all Portugese in America came from these islands. Many went to Hawaii, because gotta keep living that island life. So that's how so many Portuguese ended up in Hawaii. I believe it's the 3rd or 4th most spoken language in Hawaii.

People also don't realize how many places do in fact speak Portuguese. The Cape Verde islands off of West Africa, now independent, speak Portuguese. East Timor, the place near Australia. You'll find it old locals in Macau-China, and Goa-India, that still speak Portuguese. These were former Portuguese ports/forts. Then of course there's Angola and Mozambique. Angola had the huge civil war.

Portugal had a rough time and a literal totalitarian dictatorship through the 80s and I think 90s, Salazar was the dude. It was Russian-esque with literal Gestapo, political prisoners, torture, the whole bit.

Sorry for the poo poo posting here i'm on my phone but y'all have me on a tangent I can talk about this stuff all day :)

Great write-up but may I add two corrections:
Ronaldo is from Madeira and the dictatorship ended in 1974, which is an interesting topic of itself when it ended in a bloodless military coup, in the so called carnation revolution.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

It's not a popular movie but I thoroughly enjoyed Night Train to Lisbon which drew my attention to the high drama that is Portugal's modern history. Plus Jeremy Irons is always magnificent.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Also I think there's still some Roman aqueducts still standing (though not in use afaik), which is pretty impressive. I heard somewhere that Roman cement or mortar has been surprisingly effective at withstanding the test of time. Apparently they only recently discovered that it was because they put volcanic ash in it (it had been an archeological riddle that it was so excellent). Apparently that made it more able to weather the weather, as it were.

There's a standing Roman aqueduct in Segovia, Spain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqueduct_of_Segovia

They take pretty good care of it. It brought the city water until well into the 19th C.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Falukorv posted:

the dictatorship ended in 1974, which is an interesting topic of itself when it ended in a bloodless military coup, in the so called carnation revolution.

Yeah, this is something I find very fascinating. There can't be a lot of instances where the military enacted a coup to reinstate democracy. One of Turkey's many coups maybe?

Khazar-khum posted:

There's a standing Roman aqueduct in Segovia, Spain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqueduct_of_Segovia

They take pretty good care of it. It brought the city water until well into the 19th C.

There's also The Pont du Gard in France, which I have visited. It's pretty frickin' big, nearly 50 m high.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I've always been morbidly fascinated by the earthquake & tsunami that pretty much destroyed Lisbon on all saints' day 1755.

The estimated death toll is 10–100 thousand people. Early morning quake in the atlantic, close enough to affect Northern Africa & Portugal, causing fires and house collapses, then the following tsunami washed in. It was felt in Greenland and possibly even Finland and Brazil & the waves were up to 20 meters.

There was a flood in 1858 in Denmark/England/Holland that was possibly a tsunami as well, but not nearly as bad.

Tsunamis in the atlantic are rare enough that they don't have a European name, but they do happen.

E: Moorish architecture in Spain & Portugal is so beautiful.
The Lisbon Earthquake of 1755 is probably one of the most impactful events in Portuguese history. It's the most catastrophic natural disaster and caused the loss of countless lives, not to mention historical records and landmarks. However what followed was also unprecedented (nothing like disasters to wake people up :v:)

Marquês de Pombal led the recovery and reconstruction of Lisbon, pulling all resources necessary to clean up the debris, assist survivors, crack down on looters, and ensure order was restored as quickly as possible. However, instead of just picking up the pieces and rebuilding as it was, Lisbon was completely redesigned and rebuilt from scratch.

With the assistance of various engineers and architects, Pombal reimagined Lisbon with a very modern design for the time (highlighted in yellow), named "Pombaline" in his honor. Roads and streets were widened and straightened, ensuring efficient traffic flow. Buildings were all standardized with uniform dimensions and designs, and included the first instances of fire-proofing and earthquake-proofing. Modern amenities like sewer systems were also put in place. A great deal of work and research went into ensuring this disaster wouldn't repeat itself, leading to the first appearance of "seismology" as a field. The reconstruction was a massive project that took decades, but was carried out to the letter with no room for deviation and errors. This design still stands to this very day and is one of the factors leading to Central Lisbon's very iconic and unique look, for example Praça do Comércio and Rua Augusta.

If you're an architecture nerd you might enjoy all the blueprints as well.

SupSuper has a new favorite as of 14:29 on Oct 2, 2016

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Frederik the Seventh of Denmark was at one point "appointed" Governor of the island of Fyn, and by appointed, I mean exiled to the country-side, so he couldn't get involved in that many scandals.

Less whores and wines to go around, you see.

While Governor, he would often wander around the City of Odense, and whenever he caught the smell of pancakes, he'd track it down, and invite himself to Dinner, and you couldn't really say no to the Crown Prince.

There's a statue of him in front of Odense Castle today, and he's basically a big fat jolly fellow.

Later, when he was crowned king, he was approached by a delegation from one of the old Assemblies, asking for a formal Constitution and end to Absolutism, and he agreed on the spot, bewildering the delegates.

The legend goes, that as the delegates left the king, thanking him profoundly, he turned to his wife and said: "Perhaps now I can stay in bed in the morning".

Welcome to Denmark, we got a Constitution, because our king was a big fat lazy fellow.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Denmark sounds awesome. Pancakes for dinner?! Sign me up!

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Speaking of tsunamis and destruction, I only learned about the Lituya Bay megatsunamis the other day. Crazy poo poo. Sure, they're a quirk of local geography, but still!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Siivola posted:

The Portugese ran a massive slave trade network during the 16th century. It was big enough that Toyotomi Hideyoshi got really mad about Japanese people being sold to slavers.

iirc Portuguese were the first Westerners to reach Japan and gave the Japanese their word for bread, in Portuguese it's "pão."

uh I guess a lot of Japanese words have Portuguese origins

http://www.sljfaq.org/afaq/portuguese.html

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Yeah, this is something I find very fascinating. There can't be a lot of instances where the military enacted a coup to reinstate democracy. One of Turkey's many coups maybe?

Yeah I forgot the officers collaborated a large (successful and justified) coup

Portugal also has one of the oldest universities in the world, Coimbra. I want to say it's the oldest in (mainland?) Western Europe. Established in 1290

Another funny thing I found about Portugal is every college has their own "uniform" and they wear it with pride. You'll find Uni students out in town with their uniforms getting smashed. I think it may be the only place in Europe that does it and goes back to Coimbra.

Outside of Coimbra is a Roman settlement I visited called Conimbriga. It's one of the largest and most well kept Roman settlements outside of Italy.

There's an old water fountain they made to work again

I don't want to take over this thread but again I can go on forever about this stuff. I have a ton of pictures from my travels. (It's a small country, easy to see most of it)

There's also this:

Nostalgia4Dogges has a new favorite as of 21:24 on Oct 2, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Would you guys be down for a Portuguese history focused thread? Doesn't have to be specifically Portugal but anything related (Brazil, rest of Europe, the colonies, etc etc) if so what subforum? I'm by no means an expert in this field but it's a bit of a hobby and I'd love to hear input from others and especially actual Portuguese

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

:justpost: A/T would be a good fit.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Portugal also has one of the oldest universities in the world, Coimbra. I want to say it's the oldest in (mainland?) Western Europe. Established in 1290

Another funny thing I found about Portugal is every college has their own "uniform" and they wear it with pride. You'll find Uni students out in town with their uniforms getting smashed. I think it may be the only place in Europe that does it and goes back to Coimbra.
Typically they're only worn by older students during freshman initiations or special events.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Everyone knows about the bone church outside of Prague but did you know there's one in Evora, Portugal? :megadeath:

The verbatim translation

"“We bones that here are, for yours await""

Oh hey here's a cool Roman temple there that was later used for executions

Portuguese Venice (Aveiro) Europeans just love playing with water

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Almost but not quite.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

There's also this:

I wonder why cryogenics cough on, but no one bothered just pickling their head to be revived by future science? Seems like the more affordable option. This serial killer head is an episode of Star Trek waiting to happen.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Portuguese Venice (Aveiro) Europeans just love playing with water

Since you mention Évora and Conimbriga, Mérida has the most impressive roman ruins and collections in the whole of Iberia. It's in Spain, but not far from the Portuguese border, one and a half hour drive from Évora. Even closer to the world heritage border town of Elvas with it's star forts.

More on-topic, that colorful boat in Aveiro is a moliçeiro, so called because they were used to pick up and transport moliço, aka seaweed, to be used as fertilizer.
The paint job that goes into them is somewhat of a traditional art form. Often with some innuendo humor nowadays, as can be seen on the fore of the boat pictured.
Originally they had a sail, but the one in the picture has the sail post removed, otherwise it wouldn't fit under the bridges inside the canals of Aveiro.
Used for tourist rides/tours around the city nowadays.
Like Viking longboats they have a very shallow draft. But that's were the similarities end, they're not at all as seaworthy, nor are they supposed to be, they sailed in coastal lagoons and rivers.

Edit:
Here are some examples

Standard stuff, one has Saint Anthony and the other the greatest Portuguese fado singer.

And a dirty one, the text translates more or less to "What a precious cockle!".

Cockle in Portuguese can also be used as slang for vagina. Also it rhymes.

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 01:55 on Oct 3, 2016

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
David Adams made a bunch of cool documenteries about various countries and their history

http://davidadamsfilms.com.au/

He was in Afganistan shortly before they blew up their Buddhas.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

iirc Portuguese were the first Westerners to reach Japan and gave the Japanese their word for bread, in Portuguese it's "pão."

It didn't just go one direction either. I'm sure we all know the word for "thank you" in Spanish is "gracias", which has roots in Latin like all the Romantic languages do. However the Portuguese use the word "obrigado", pronounced "oo-bree-gah-doh". From what I was taught it is most likely adopted from the Japanese word "arigato", as in domo arigato, or "thank you".

mediocre dad okay
Jan 9, 2007

The fascist don't like life then he break other's
BEAT BEAT THE FASCIST

Chichevache posted:

It didn't just go one direction either. I'm sure we all know the word for "thank you" in Spanish is "gracias", which has roots in Latin like all the Romantic languages do. However the Portuguese use the word "obrigado", pronounced "oo-bree-gah-doh". From what I was taught it is most likely adopted from the Japanese word "arigato", as in domo arigato, or "thank you".

I'm pretty sure obrigado also comes from the latin "obligatus" ‎(obliged). I was taught the precise opposite, that "arigato" came from "obrigado", but it seems that the word "arigato" was in use long before the Portuguese ever had contact with the Japanese. Most of what I've read since says it's a coincidence.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

mediocre dad okay posted:

I'm pretty sure obrigado also comes from the latin "obligatus" ‎(obliged). I was taught the precise opposite, that "arigato" came from "obrigado", but it seems that the word "arigato" was in use long before the Portuguese ever had contact with the Japanese. Most of what I've read since says it's a coincidence.

Then my Portuguese teachers, as I have always suspected, were pretty dumb and wrong. Arigato, professora Amado!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
During the Napoleonic Wars in Spain the soldiers of Portugal fought in the same as British soldiers under General William Beresford. Half of the soldiers were basically just Militia from the old army which had to be rebuilt from the ground up but they fought just as bravely and weathered the campaigns as well as their British and Spanish allies in some of the key battles of that campaign in Portugal and at the Spanish border.

Their marines had a shako which inspired the British Army to adopt the Belgic style shako which was worn in the latter part of the conflict. Soldiers of Portugal also fought in the 1st World War.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Britain and Portugal have the longest lasting peace treaty in the world.

It's lasted through Protugal becoming part of Spain too!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ok yeah I'll probably just make an a/t thread I love this stuff

Didn't Portugal aid both the allies and nazis during WW2? or was that Spain, or both

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
The Lisbon Earthquake destroyed the royal archives, which might have had evidence that the Portuguese had found Brasil first, and why they wanted to move the line of the Treaty of Tordesillas to west.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Ok yeah I'll probably just make an a/t thread I love this stuff

imo, you should use this and the milhist threads instead

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Falukorv posted:

Like Viking longboats they have a very shallow draft. But that's were the similarities end, they're not at all as seaworthy, nor are they supposed to be, they sailed in coastal lagoons and rivers.

The viking longships were also coastal and riverine vessels, and not very safe on open sea. They used knarr-type ships for sea travel.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
they built a lot of poo poo in ww2 including about 50,000 shermans

most of them ended up in second rate armies and third world dictatorships like the rest of the left over arms*

some of them got turned into heavy duty forestry machinery

* although I don't think any insurgencies got their hands on them, unlike eg all the k98s and mp40s that ended up with the viet cong

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Everyone learns Gallego in school. I believe this is the only region of Spain where the local dialect is on their version of the SATs, making it much harder.

In Catalonia and the Basque Country, the local language is also on their university entrance exams.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmlYe2KS0-Y

Well then

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Spermando posted:

In Catalonia and the Basque Country, the local language is also on their university entrance exams.

And are basically required to get any kind of government/public services job.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Here are my older pics from the Roman settlement in Lisbon. I believe after the 1755 earthquake/tsunmai they found it while rebuilding and some dude bought it apparently. It hasn't been an exhibit for long. They had a clear flooring so you could see it below then they do tours underneath. I want to say it was free, too. It's just a regular building. walking by you'd have no idea. The settlement was along a river that went through Lisbon long ago.

Apparently where they processed/handled fish

Found those bones and just decided to leave them.

I can't remember if this was from there or Conimbriga. I have a bunch of pictures of that place too which is well preserved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
So I had the opportunity to visit Slovenia with some friends who were born and raised there who helped show me around the country. One point in particular that stood out to me was just how ingrained in the country Napoleon was.

This is a bridge his armies built across the Soča river in order to complete their march on Vienna. As my friend's brother said it, "Slovenia is the only country other than France to like Napoleon, since he let the Slovenian's do their own thing and speak their own language when he rolled through." Also the picture doesn't do the river justice. The color is even more vibrant in person.

We also passed through the Isonzo valley, where the front between the Italians and Austo-Hungary was in WWI stagnated. Below is a picture of a bunker from the (I think) Italian side of the front.

Slovenia is basically Italian wine, German food, and Slav black humor all in one package. :tito: