Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I feel the inventor of lycra simply doesn't get enough love.

Not the worst page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
My wife and I currently have two cars, a 2013 Golf R (wife's car) and I have my 1990 Honda Acty that I just love. My wife has wanted a Suzuki Samurai for a long, long time but wouldn't you know it they simply don't exist in stock condition anymore. The alternative, then, is to import a Suzuki Jimny. If she connects with this as I have my van then she'll be driving that everywhere around town as we do like I do the van. This means the R is just going to sit and barely be used. Considering we live in snowbird hotspot Sarasota, Florida we are surrounded by excellent condition cars that are super cheap. Tell me if and why this is a bad idea:
We sell the R while it's still worth north of 20k and doesn't need any major mechanical work. We pick up an older Lexus because if we have to drive any distance we're not going to want to drive our dorky kei cars. Lexuses around here are super inexpensive and in excellent shape, and for a while years ago we had a 94 BMW wagon that was excellent until the electrical gremlins showed up and I traded it in against the R that we now have. Plus, Lexus = reliable, right? I truly do drive my van everywhere, and she will drive the Jimny everywhere so why not have a boring, comfortable cruiser?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Am I a bad person if I was unsure about a tire place until I realized the guy mounting my tires didn't speak a lick of english and the latino radio station got cranked up?

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 28, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KakerMix posted:

My wife has wanted a Suzuki Samurai for a long, long time but wouldn't you know it they simply don't exist in stock condition anymore. The alternative, then, is to import a Suzuki Jimny.

KakerMix posted:

Tell me if and why this is a bad idea:
If she's driven and can live with an SJ, then a Jimny will be fine, but if she just likes the idea of a cute little 4x4, bear in mind that Jimny is quite bouncy on rough roads. Nowhere near as crude as an SJ, though.

They're more of a serious off-road truck than a lot of stuff twice their size, too.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

InitialDave posted:

If she's driven and can live with an SJ, then a Jimny will be fine, but if she just likes the idea of a cute little 4x4, bear in mind that Jimny is quite bouncy on rough roads. Nowhere near as crude as an SJ, though.

They're more of a serious off-road truck than a lot of stuff twice their size, too.

Yeah, she is aware. And you're right, it would be a 'cute little 4x4' and probably will rarely, if ever, see anything that would shift it into 4-wheel. The up side is here in Florida our roads are excellent, plus no hills which is what makes a kei car very sensible. Plus having a Jimny means I have another excuse for a AZ-1 or Cappuccino as they would share a lot of engine components with the Jimny.
Mostly I was looking for advice on the trade in for a Golf R to an old-man Lexus though :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

InitialDave posted:

Yes, though with a qualifier on who's wearing them at the time.

yes that's the collateral damage of an otherwise very good thing

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I feel the inventor of lycra simply doesn't get enough love.

Not the worst page snipe.

It is countered by my fat man rear end in bike shorts.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

KakerMix posted:

Yeah, she is aware. And you're right, it would be a 'cute little 4x4' and probably will rarely, if ever, see anything that would shift it into 4-wheel. The up side is here in Florida our roads are excellent, plus no hills which is what makes a kei car very sensible. Plus having a Jimny means I have another excuse for a AZ-1 or Cappuccino as they would share a lot of engine components with the Jimny.
Mostly I was looking for advice on the trade in for a Golf R to an old-man Lexus though :v:

If you just need transport a Lexus is probably the most reliable car you can buy, and they're hella cheap in the Tampa/Sarasota area. I know lecia (or formerly) ended up with an ~2003? LS430 because they simply don't break.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KakerMix posted:

Plus having a Jimny means I have another excuse for a AZ-1 or Cappuccino as they would share a lot of engine components with the Jimny.
Go the whole hog and get the Autozam/Mazda Jimny (if you can find one).

Though I'd say the 1.3 engine is probably the more sensible unit for a Jimny, but isn't this whole conversation something of a moot point until about 2023? I thought it was 25 years for non-US spec imports?

Edit: Ok, you're talkign about the "old" Jimny, which I still refer to as an SJ. I can't say much about those, as my SJ was an early one, and the Jimny I've driven was a 2000s car.

KakerMix posted:

Golfs are rubbish, so yeah, you should do it.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 28, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KakerMix posted:

Have you HEARD the sound of a 1UZ with a good exhaust system? Have you FELT a great big land barge doing a big, lurid fishtail going around a random residential corner?

Humongo Lexus LS cars are hugely underrated for their AI-ness. They're covered in a veil of old man stink, but underneath is uncorked potential in a coddling, comfortable wrapper.

Edit: Damnit, forgot it was a 1UZ.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 28, 2017

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Wrar posted:

If you just need transport a Lexus is probably the most reliable car you can buy, and they're hella cheap in the Tampa/Sarasota area. I know lecia (or formerly) ended up with an ~2003? LS430 because they simply don't break.

Yea, I believe he has a 2003. I just picked up a 2004 LS430 and I love it. It is definitely a big step from the TDI I turned back into VW, and I was able to buy it with the payout money and not having a car payment is great. Gas mileage is not great(I think I have been averaging around ~15mpg in the city), but I knew what I was getting into and don't have a commute, so its not a big deal.

Also, it makes me grin like an idiot when I actually step on it. It is a huge car and I normally maybe use 1/4 throttle when driving around, but when you floor it goes pretty drat good.

Seminal Flu posted:

Have you HEARD the sound of a 2JZ with a good exhaust system? Have you FELT a great big land barge doing a big, lurid fishtail going around a random residential corner?

Humongo Lexus LS cars are hugely underrated for their AI-ness. They're covered in a veil of old man stink, but underneath is uncorked potential in a coddling, comfortable wrapper.

Said it better than I could. The other upside is because they are old man cars, they have usually be really well maintained. The PO of my LS had it for almost 10 years and it was at the Lexus dealer every 5k miles for an oil change. Interior and exterior are almost perfect, and cops don't look at you.

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 28, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I was under the impression only The Locator was older than I am. 48 in May

Married 1997 seperated 2005. And Wrar you really want to feel old ? We known each other for 18 years.

And here I am still giggling my rear end off riding in a torrential downpour. How juvenile!

I'm 47, as of last September. Married 18 years and some months, and we lived together for 5 years before marriage. Apparently, I lucked out.

Tide posted:

Lake Tahoe Ski Report: awesome

Ski bunnies in yoga pants: awesome

pics pls.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Speaking of Lexus, I found a used SC300 in PA about 14 years ago that had a manual transmission. It haunts my dreams to this day and I regret not trading in my lovely Jeep on the spot for it.

The 1UZ-FE also haunts my dreams in a good way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba8sT2BQ4uc

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ripoff posted:

Speaking of Lexus, I found a used SC300 in PA about 14 years ago that had a manual transmission. It haunts my dreams to this day and I regret not trading in my lovely Jeep on the spot for it.

The 1UZ-FE also haunts my dreams in a good way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba8sT2BQ4uc

Speaking of...
:ninja:

Like this seems quite pricey for a 95 Lexus however I don't see *any* manual transmission Lexus vehicles at all so...

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 1, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

This one popped up here in SC for 5k

http://columbia.craigslist.org/cto/5994078408.html

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

That shift knob says to me "A knob has owned me"

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Possibly. We're all knobs here TBH

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KakerMix posted:

That shift knob says to me "A knob has owned me"
You want a manual RWD Japanese car in the US. You will find a LOT of "4 careful owners plus 2 twats" material.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

InitialDave posted:

You want a manual RWD Japanese car in the US. You will find a LOT of "4 careful owners plus 2 twats" material.

I just want a comfortable and reliable highway cruiser most of all, that SC300 showed up after Ripoff posted how he wished he got the one years ago. My wife is the one that wants it to be a manual if at all possible.

Did some comparing, this SC300 is .5 inches wider than our Golf. Not surprising but still pretty incredible to me.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KakerMix posted:

I just want a comfortable and reliable highway cruiser most of all, that SC300 showed up after Ripoff posted how he wished he got the one years ago. My wife is the one that wants it to be a manual if at all possible.

Did some comparing, this SC300 is .5 inches wider than our Golf. Not surprising but still pretty incredible to me.

And it's got dual axis door hinges, so it'll fit in the same-sized parking space and you'll still be able to get out.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kid has a GoPro on his helmet. Will pull hi def stills when we get back

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Seminal Flu posted:

And it's got dual axis door hinges, so it'll fit in the same-sized parking space and you'll still be able to get out.

Yeah, rad.
Alsooooo just ran a CarFax on it, this thing has only had one (1) owner.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I would jump on that car asap, and would buy it out from under you if I had the cash.

Check http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/ for maintenance history, it's a great tool for finding the right Lexus for you.

I love our LS430, best car I've ever owned by far.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KakerMix posted:

I don't disagree with you (automatic box on a small engine? Eww), I'm just saying, there will be a lot of stuff owned by the kind of people it's preferable not to buy cars from.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

the spyder posted:

Thanks everyone! We're still working on a name, but she gets to come home today. My boss told me to just take the week off and not worry about work, which blew me away seeing as we're down three staff members right now.

Congrats, and name her Dorina.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

InitialDave posted:

Fixed. Finding manual anything here is a pain in the dick now.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I just found out lexus made a 2jz wagon today after spotting it in the wild. My erection was immediate and lasted over 4 hours. Dr. Craigslist was consulted.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I managed to fry my old mp3 player today. It turned off in the car, so I plugged it into the wall when I was home. Not long after I though I smelled burning plastic, and sure enough this thing was hot and swollen. I must have gotten it just before it really lit up.

So does anybody have a recommendation for an mp3 player with physical buttons and a microSD slot (if not a ton of internal memory)? This was a Sansa Clip Zip, but reviews of its replacement sound bad.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Tide posted:

Kid has a GoPro on his helmet. Will pull hi def stills when we get back

Be careful with the GoPro helmet mounts. I'm going to sound like a buzzkill but no one else should ever end up like Michael Schumacher.

The accident report should have gotten way more press than it did and every one should have been made aware of how easily certain styles of helmet mounts can turn into force multipliers.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Check http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/ for maintenance history, it's a great tool for finding the right Lexus for you.

This site owns hard, thanks. Witness as all of AI suddenly becomes anti-Top Gear Lexus drivers as we all get older.

EDIT
Going to take a look at this car tomorrow.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 1, 2017

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Does AI have something against Lexus right now? I just see them as a fancy Toyota, so if you buy a used one, you get a reliable, comfortable car that's fairly easy to work on. That seems like a good suggestion for a car that isn't performance oriented.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've become everything I hate in the automotive scene. And it feels good. :frogin:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Deeters posted:

Does AI have something against Lexus right now? I just see them as a fancy Toyota, so if you buy a used one, you get a reliable, comfortable car that's fairly easy to work on. That seems like a good suggestion for a car that isn't performance oriented.

Quite the opposite. They tend to range from "slightly overbuilt" to "it'll take a nuke to stop this thing", and get nailed by the typical luxury car depreciation - which makes them pretty affordable for what you get when you buy used. Some models (such as the LS4xx) are well known for making it long past 300k with just normal maintenance; there's at least one LS4xx running around with close to 1M miles.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Deeters posted:

Not AI specifically but I always felt that Lexus is the butt of jokes from ~enthusiasts~ most of the time. There was that one commercial that stared the Transporter dude that went through the decades with a different car for each and the joke was he didn't even bother trying to get away with the Lexus. James, Richard and Jeremy famously rip on Lexus all the time for being boring old people cars.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

McTinkerson posted:

Be careful with the GoPro helmet mounts. I'm going to sound like a buzzkill but no one else should ever end up like Michael Schumacher.

The accident report should have gotten way more press than it did and every one should have been made aware of how easily certain styles of helmet mounts can turn into force multipliers.

We constantly have to educate people on this when we do Try a Kart days at the kart club, people are just shocked when you tell them "actually your helmet doesn't work if there's a giant camera strapped to it"

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Not AI specifically but I always felt that Lexus is the butt of jokes from ~enthusiasts~ most of the time. There was that one commercial that stared the Transporter dude that went through the decades with a different car for each and the joke was he didn't even bother trying to get away with the Lexus. James, Richard and Jeremy famously rip on Lexus all the time for being boring old people cars.

Compared to McClarens and Ferraris sure. For normal everyday pleb driving they are a pleasure, be warned though that a Lexus will probably ruin any other cars you have, my Scion is like driving a tin can in comparison :v:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Compared to McClarens and Ferraris sure. For normal everyday pleb driving they are a pleasure, be warned though that a Lexus will probably ruin any other cars you have, my Scion is like driving a tin can in comparison :v:

That's pretty much what I thought of them. Sometimes you just want a comfortable commuter car, and then have something truly AI for the weekends

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

McTinkerson posted:

Was a helmet mount part of the issue with Schumi?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

IOwnCalculus posted:

Was a helmet mount part of the issue with Schumi?

Yeah, if I remember correctly, his helmet mount acted as a chisel on impact and split his helmet into pieces. I'll try and dig up a link to the investigation.

Edit: Interesting, my old bookmark to the report link is dead and everything else I can find is from 2014 including GoPro threatening to sue the journalist for publishing the initial findings.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Deeters posted:

There's like 4-5 goons with SCs or equivalent Soarers, so aside from Pussy Shrapnel jokes (and nobody's got an IS that I know of) at least a few of us are pretty ok with them.
I wanted to sell mine to pick up either a JZ powered model with no sunroof or a 1 series, but I'm more or less stuck with it after the christmas incident and I'm still pretty ok with that.

Tried Reggae Reggae pizza, wasn't bad but I don't think I'll do it again. I could eat the stuff on wings or ribs all day though.
Exam results in, 89% on my provincial and 87% on the federal. Disappointed with the former, pleasantly loving shocked on the latter. Felt like mid 90s and low 70s. but hey, 70% and 100% are effectively the same score so not too many fucks to give.

• Locked thread