Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Does Verizon sell anything that you can use to improve cell signal in your home? My wife works out of our basement and has been complaining about a lack of reception down there lately, and I'd rather buy some sort of signal booster (if one exists) than haul her entire office up to our spare bedroom.

Yes.

It retails for $250, piggybacks off your internet (plugs into your modem) and if you have 25+ mb Internet it’ll boost it. No monthly.

It creates a micro tower in your house, should solve the problem. Not saying it’s cheap though.

If you need to order it PM me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Have the microcells solved the problem of “locking” the phone to it? A friend had an AT&T one at his house about 10 years ago and it helped with reception at his house, but if you tried to drive away, the call would die —it would never hand off back to a tower.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hed posted:

Have the microcells solved the problem of “locking” the phone to it? A friend had an AT&T one at his house about 10 years ago and it helped with reception at his house, but if you tried to drive away, the call would die —it would never hand off back to a tower.

Microcell , that was the word I was looking for.

And legit don’t know , I haven’t had one in quite a bit. Supposed to hand off, but I don’t have personal recent experience.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Also I’d be careful with the microcell if you live in a crowded area, I had a friend with one here in Phoenix where we lived downtown and every time there was a baseball or basketball game literally everyone passing by would have their phone latch onto it and choke out his home internet bandwidth

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Also I’d be careful with the microcell if you live in a crowded area, I had a friend with one here in Phoenix where we lived downtown and every time there was a baseball or basketball game literally everyone passing by would have their phone latch onto it and choke out his home internet bandwidth

To my knowledge, as long as a microcell is properly programmed to one’s account, it should only boost the coverage of phone numbers you register to it , IE numbers on the account, and I think? You can login to say add family members.

It’s been a long time though so I could be very wrong on that.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Now that the new iPhones are announced, any sweet trade in deal rumors out there? I won't hold my breath though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Virtue posted:

Now that the new iPhones are announced, any sweet trade in deal rumors out there? I won't hold my breath though.

I’ll know tomorrow.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you go to the listing on the Apple Store site (or app), it'll let you put in a trade-in and includes carrier promos. They're saying up to $1000 from Verizon. They'll give me $800 for my wife's broken-screen iPhone 12, so check it out!

My 13 Pro gets me $1000, but we're trading the 12.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Trying to figure out if I should buy my multiple iPhones 15 Pro/Max from Verizon directly (which would make it easier, on a business plan) or Apple. And then if I should order it through the site or just go to the local Verizon store.
Not trading anything in.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It says I can trade in my base 13 for a base 15 for free. Seems odd, but I guess they put value on lock-in.

If you’re getting a monthly credit, your phone is locked and you can’t activate alternate SIMs, right?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's locked for 60 or 90 days (Duckman should know) after which you can put on another eSIM.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have a 13 Pro 256GB and the Verizon website says I can get up to $1,000 on trade in with Unlimited Ultimate or $830 on Unlimited Plus.

I currently have a 5G Do More plan. The main benefits I like compared to a generic unlimited plan are the $10 monthly bundle credit since I have FIOS, a free travel pass day that gets banked each month since I apparently now travel to Europe every year, and the hotspot which I don’t use much but is nice in a pinch.

Would I lose anything by switching plans to take advantage of the trade in promos? Can I get trade in credit while keeping my current plan?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you go through Apple, you'll get $800 and not have to change plans

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a 13 Pro 256GB and the Verizon website says I can get up to $1,000 on trade in with Unlimited Ultimate or $830 on Unlimited Plus.

I currently have a 5G Do More plan. The main benefits I like compared to a generic unlimited plan are the $10 monthly bundle credit since I have FIOS, a free travel pass day that gets banked each month since I apparently now travel to Europe every year, and the hotspot which I don’t use much but is nice in a pinch.

Would I lose anything by switching plans to take advantage of the trade in promos? Can I get trade in credit while keeping my current plan?

You can get at least $800 on the Do More. You shouldn’t have to change plans.

Anyone who needs help ordering: I work all day Friday (and also I can send a referral code if you want to do online).

Sorry I haven’t posted yet, today got super busy and I am going to a show tonight. I’m working all day tomorrow and def all day Friday. Post here or PM for questions.

I’m gonna try and post more specifics , but basically:

Upgrades: if you are on a premium data plan, and it’s a XR or newer it’s a $800 trade in.

New lines: if you do unlimited plus you can get $800, or $1000 if it’s the unlimited ultra. Verizon is literally taking any trade in iPhone 3G or newer as long as the battery is not overheating. $800 for all with the plus plan.

All promos are on 36 month payment plans to get the full credit. The phone is locked for 60 days, auto unlocked on day 61.

Let me know what questions , I’ll be unresponsive tonight but around tomorrow.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hed posted:

Trying to figure out if I should buy my multiple iPhones 15 Pro/Max from Verizon directly (which would make it easier, on a business plan) or Apple. And then if I should order it through the site or just go to the local Verizon store.
Not trading anything in.

You should order through Verizon direct or the store. I would offer to help but I can’t touch bus accounts.

Josh Lyman posted:

You would lose your travel pass benefit, although unlimited ultra includes free travel pass, it’s just $10 a month more than what you are currently paying.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

You would lose your travel pass benefit, although unlimited ultra includes free travel pass, it’s just $10 a month more than what you are currently paying.
1) It sounds like it might make sense to switch to Unlimited Ultra if I would pay the same. My current bill before device charges and taxes/fees is:
$90 Do More
-$10 Auto Pay and paper-free billing discount
-$10 M+H VZW Discount
-$5 MOBILE + HOME LEVEL 2

My understanding is current plans allocate the entire $10 level 2 discount to wireless, but because I had FIOS first and added wireless later, mine is split so I get $5 off each service. Presumably switching to Unlimited Ultra would decrease my wireless by $5 and increase my FIOS by $5. Is that right?

I’m thinking about switching because I’d get the same benefits plus $200 more for the trade in, and I would just have to pay $10 when I go to Europe for 2-3 weeks, maybe $20 if it spans 2 billing cycles; I’m definitely not going to Europe 10 times in the next 3 years. Does that sound right?

2) My current wireless bill cycle ends on the 21st of each month and I have 1 remaining device payment and trade in credit from two years ago. Will this cause any issues if I pre-order this Friday the 15th or do I need to wait until next Friday the 22nd?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Does the locked sim mean you can’t add another esim or just can’t remove the existing one? I use an esim provider (usually Ubigi) when I travel abroad but not sure if that will cause an issue within the 60 day window.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Trying to figure out if I should consider switching from AT&T Firstnet as I'm looking to get an iPhone 15 Pro. Currently I pay $50/month, about $55 with taxes. My wife does the same, although she took advantage of an iphone upgrade last year so she's locked to AT&T for another two years.

As best as I can tell, if both of us switched, it might be economical, but for a single line, I'd be paying significantly more, correct?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

1) It sounds like it might make sense to switch to Unlimited Ultra if I would pay the same. My current bill before device charges and taxes/fees is:
$90 Do More
-$10 Auto Pay and paper-free billing discount
-$10 M+H VZW Discount
-$5 MOBILE + HOME LEVEL 2

My understanding is current plans allocate the entire $10 level 2 discount to wireless, but because I had FIOS first and added wireless later, mine is split so I get $5 off each service. Presumably switching to Unlimited Ultra would decrease my wireless by $5 and increase my FIOS by $5. Is that right?

I’m thinking about switching because I’d get the same benefits plus $200 more for the trade in, and I would just have to pay $10 when I go to Europe for 2-3 weeks, maybe $20 if it spans 2 billing cycles; I’m definitely not going to Europe 10 times in the next 3 years. Does that sound right?

2) My current wireless bill cycle ends on the 21st of each month and I have 1 remaining device payment and trade in credit from two years ago. Will this cause any issues if I pre-order this Friday the 15th or do I need to wait until next Friday the 22nd?

To clarify: unlimited ultra is $10 a month than what you are paying. It includes free international travel, no $10 travel pass days. So the question is whether you want to pay $10 a month more for the higher trade in and free international travel.

Virtue posted:

Does the locked sim mean you can’t add another esim or just can’t remove the existing one? I use an esim provider (usually Ubigi) when I travel abroad but not sure if that will cause an issue within the 60 day window.

Locked SIM means it will only work on the carrier locked to until unlocked. In Verizon’s case the first 60 days the phone is locked, so it will only work on Verizon for the first 60 days no exceptions other than military. So you can’t use Ubigi on a newly purchased Verizon phone until day 60.

It’s meant as a theft deterrent.

Residency Evil posted:

Trying to figure out if I should consider switching from AT&T Firstnet as I'm looking to get an iPhone 15 Pro. Currently I pay $50/month, about $55 with taxes. My wife does the same, although she took advantage of an iphone upgrade last year so she's locked to AT&T for another two years.

As best as I can tell, if both of us switched, it might be economical, but for a single line, I'd be paying significantly more, correct?

I need more data here. Are you on separate plans or one account ? Do you need a quote for 1 or 2 lines?

Also, first net is for first responders. I know from BFC (good to see you) that you do something medical, are you specifically nurse or EMT ?

The Verizon discount categories are military, first responder (police, fire fighter, EMT), nurse, teacher and student.

Let me know and I can get you quotes.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Duckman2008 posted:

I need more data here. Are you on separate plans or one account ? Do you need a quote for 1 or 2 lines?

Also, first net is for first responders. I know from BFC (good to see you) that you do something medical, are you specifically nurse or EMT ?

The Verizon discount categories are military, first responder (police, fire fighter, EMT), nurse, teacher and student.

Let me know and I can get you quotes.

We're both on separate identical plans. We're both healthcare heroes for AT&T, but not Verizon (we're both physicians).

I think a single line for now, but seeing what two lines would be like would be useful as well.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

We're both on separate identical plans. We're both healthcare heroes for AT&T, but not Verizon (we're both physicians).

I think a single line for now, but seeing what two lines would be like would be useful as well.

Ok I follow.

Yeah, Verizon doesn’t do discounts for physicians unfortunately , so it’s gonna be a price difference.

One line is $80, two lines are $70 + $70.

If you need help on it def let me know , but obviously it’s not at the price currently paying.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Duckman2008 posted:

Ok I follow.

Yeah, Verizon doesn’t do discounts for physicians unfortunately , so it’s gonna be a price difference.

One line is $80, two lines are $70 + $70.

If you need help on it def let me know , but obviously it’s not at the price currently paying.

Gotcha, thanks, that's helpful. I thought with the Ultimate plans we could offset a bit of it, but sounds like it'd still be more expensive for essentially identical service.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
How are coverage maps computed? The one I've been shown at the store does not reflect the coverage I actually get, and I've experimented with other VZW customers' phones in those areas, and had the same results.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DrankSinatra posted:

How are coverage maps computed? The one I've been shown at the store does not reflect the coverage I actually get, and I've experimented with other VZW customers' phones in those areas, and had the same results.

They’re extremely generic and I would not rely on them. Nothing replaces just trying out service and seeing how it works.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My daughter has an Unlimited Plus plan while my wife and I have 5G Do More plans. We currently subscribe to Disney+ and Hulu but with the price increases, we are looking at using the daughter’s plan to get the $10 bundle.

What is the easiest way to switch the current accounts to that new bundle?

Also, we are going to do Apple 1 with her account as well. How much of that (cloud storage, Apple TV+, arcade, etc) becomes family share or will we have to log in with her stuff on more devices?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My daughter has an Unlimited Plus plan while my wife and I have 5G Do More plans. We currently subscribe to Disney+ and Hulu but with the price increases, we are looking at using the daughter’s plan to get the $10 bundle.

What is the easiest way to switch the current accounts to that new bundle?

Also, we are going to do Apple 1 with her account as well. How much of that (cloud storage, Apple TV+, arcade, etc) becomes family share or will we have to log in with her stuff on more devices?

I can call you tomorrow and add the Disney bundle if that works for you. PM me if you would like me to help here.

It’s account based, so for the Apple family just use your login as the family login.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Locked SIM means it will only work on the carrier locked to until unlocked. In Verizon’s case the first 60 days the phone is locked, so it will only work on Verizon for the first 60 days no exceptions other than military. So you can’t use Ubigi on a newly purchased Verizon phone until day 60.

It’s meant as a theft deterrent.

Is this still true if I buy the phone outright through apple or version without using the trade in 36 month promotion?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Virtue posted:

Is this still true if I buy the phone outright through apple or version without using the trade in 36 month promotion?

If you buy it outright through apple it’s unlocked.

If you buy it outright through Verizon it’s either unlocked, or in that instance they would unlock it (not sure tech wise how it works).

End of the day, if you buy it outright might as well buy it through Apple either way.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Once again, Duckman praise! Helped me out with some bundle set up and I truly appreciate all the things done for the goons.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Once again, Duckman praise! Helped me out with some bundle set up and I truly appreciate all the things done for the goons.

Not a problem, happy to help !

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

we've got some kind of legacy mix and match family plan right now, only one line of which (mine) is the unlimited.

I'd like to go from my old rear end iphone 8 to an iphone 15 pro but stay on vz. what's the best deal they're gonna offer me on this? or should I just buy from apple? hate seeing how new customers or people who switch providers get like, the entire phone free while loyal customers get little to nothing.

requirements: unlimited data, hotspot capability. I guess keeping disney+ would be good because we'd probably have to sub to that anyway if we didn't have it through vz.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pmchem posted:

we've got some kind of legacy mix and match family plan right now, only one line of which (mine) is the unlimited.

I'd like to go from my old rear end iphone 8 to an iphone 15 pro but stay on vz. what's the best deal they're gonna offer me on this? or should I just buy from apple? hate seeing how new customers or people who switch providers get like, the entire phone free while loyal customers get little to nothing.

requirements: unlimited data, hotspot capability. I guess keeping disney+ would be good because we'd probably have to sub to that anyway if we didn't have it through vz.

If you want me to check your account PM me and I can call you Monday. Don’t feel obligated but I don’t mind checking.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Once again singing the praises of Duckman, he helped save us about $30 on our Verizon monthly bill in about five minutes. Thanks!!!

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Brainstorming some upgrade paths here, looking for some feedback.

Here's the situation:

There are two relevant lines on my current account

Line 1: iPhone 13 Pro (traded in 2 years ago, 1 payment left) on the 5G Play More plan
Line 2: iPhone XR on the 5G Start 1.0 Plan

Ideally I'd like to trade in the iPhone XR for the 15 pro max and transfer the 13 Pro to Line 2 while leaving all of the plans the same. I think this is possible but would require the following steps

1. Wait for the final payment to hit for Line 1 so the iPhone 13 Pro is fully paid off (in about a week)
2. Swap the iPhone 13 Pro onto Line 2 and the iPhone XR onto Line 1
3. Trade in the iPhone XR on Line 1 for the 15 Pro Max using the 3 year trade in credit.

Does that sound right? Can it all be done through the app or do I need to go into a store?

Second question: If I wanted to upgrade both lines this cycle is there a plan upgrade path for Line 2 that would get the best bang for my buck? I assume it would require bumping up to a higher tier and the 5G Play More would be redundant.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

Once again singing the praises of Duckman, he helped save us about $30 on our Verizon monthly bill in about five minutes. Thanks!!!

It was 9 minutes 30 seconds (I have a timer lol) but happy to help

Virtue posted:

Brainstorming some upgrade paths here, looking for some feedback.

Here's the situation:

There are two relevant lines on my current account

Line 1: iPhone 13 Pro (traded in 2 years ago, 1 payment left) on the 5G Play More plan
Line 2: iPhone XR on the 5G Start 1.0 Plan

Ideally I'd like to trade in the iPhone XR for the 15 pro max and transfer the 13 Pro to Line 2 while leaving all of the plans the same. I think this is possible but would require the following steps

1. Wait for the final payment to hit for Line 1 so the iPhone 13 Pro is fully paid off (in about a week)
2. Swap the iPhone 13 Pro onto Line 2 and the iPhone XR onto Line 1
3. Trade in the iPhone XR on Line 1 for the 15 Pro Max using the 3 year trade in credit.

Does that sound right? Can it all be done through the app or do I need to go into a store?

Second question: If I wanted to upgrade both lines this cycle is there a plan upgrade path for Line 2 that would get the best bang for my buck? I assume it would require bumping up to a higher tier and the 5G Play More would be redundant.

So, the XR potentially won’t get the $830 trade in, it may be $415. You want me to call you and check? If so PM me.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Is anywhere still doing a trade-in deal for iPhones? My sister has decided she wants one but apparently just missed out on the Apple trade-in.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apple dot com still says they're offering up to $830 for me??

Verizon dot com has it too

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

bbcisdabomb posted:

Is anywhere still doing a trade-in deal for iPhones? My sister has decided she wants one but apparently just missed out on the Apple trade-in.

T-Mobile gave me $600 for my 12 mini (lowest storage size) via a promo, on top of $150 (the normal value of it). I'd imagine Verizon has similar things.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I just got $830 for my 11 through Verizon when upgrading to a 15 Pro, looks like Apple is also offering the same. The Verizon site kept telling me that the condition of my device (which I said was in good condition) made it ineligible for the promo price, but I hopped on a live chat and someone applied it to my account and sent me a cart to check out and it worked fine so I dunno. There was apparently also a $1000 credit deal if I wanted to upgrade to Unlimited Ultimate or some poo poo for $25 more a month, but that math made no sense at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Apple dot com still says they're offering up to $830 for me??

Verizon dot com has it too

Yup, if you’re on a play more, do more or plus plan you’ll get a $830 trade in over 36 months if it’s a XS, 11 or newer (not XR or older).

If anyone needs help or a referral code PM me.