Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

g0del posted:

* I haven't played the new missions that they just released today, so I can't comment on their quality.
They're better than the first few but still nowhere as good. Being a completely disconnected story doesn't hell matters, and its hilariously incoherent if you're playing klank or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

g0del posted:

There's another run of really good missions when you hit the Victory is Life section. Unfortunately it ends really abruptly and immediately pivots to disco stuff, which so far has not been anywhere near the same quality.*

* I haven't played the new missions that they just released today, so I can't comment on their quality.

I thought they were going back to their ViL stuff, since they had fulfilled their Disco quota, what happened?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Disco got renewed and will continue to be The Only Star Trek, and so you will have no other.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zaodai posted:

Disco got renewed and will continue to be The Only Star Trek, and so you will have no other.

Not quite, we have the Picard show and Section 31 show coming among others.

But yes, it was CBS' mandate that all STO content tie into currently ongoing Trek stuff, so we can forget about finishing ViL or doing anything else from the old shows for the foreseeable future.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's an understandable decision from a marketing perspective but an insane one to shove onto a decade-old ongoing story arc game. But media licensing is always insane.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Where can we read CBSs mandate?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Back on this topic, can't wait for that Disco apologist goon to show back up here and tell us all that its definitely not an atrocity

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

hakimashou posted:

Where can we read CBSs mandate?
There wasn't one given, but it's easily inferred from dev comments and the abrupt shift in content with obviously rapidly made missions. :shrug:

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

CBS was desperately shopping around for licensing options for two years, but couldn't get any bites because everyone was still feeling burned by the fuckloads of unsold Kelvin merch that's still sitting around. Meanwhile Cryptic was also desperate for money (see: weekly c-store sales) and the rest is history... you don't have to be Nostradamus to predict what happens next.

What's surprising to me is that they didn't try to push any of the Picard show or either of the animated projects. Hell, I'd gladly play content themed on that Nickelodeon Trek cartoon aimed at kids at this point. I guess its still too early for those?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mondian posted:

I guess its still too early for those?

That's my guess. The moment they come out, we'll start getting their ships in the z-store and missions related to them.

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

I haven't watched STD so I am not going to have any loving clue who any of these people are and what's going on.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

timjin posted:

I haven't watched STD so I am not going to have any loving clue who any of these people are and what's going on.

The Klingons are now ISIS (seriously, that's what one of the lead writers for S1 said they were inspired by on STD), nothing looks anything like it does in TOS, there's magic interdimensional space mushrooms that can wipe out the multiverse, and more.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Cythereal posted:

The Klingons are now ISIS (seriously, that's what one of the lead writers for S1 said they were inspired by on STD), nothing looks anything like it does in TOS, there's magic interdimensional space mushrooms that can wipe out the multiverse, and more.
I don't have the pics handy, but one of the reasons the disco klank ships are so ugly is because the artist's note wanted "Islamic-style engraving" :chloe:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Mondian posted:

Back on this topic, can't wait for that Disco apologist goon to show back up here and tell us all that its definitely not an atrocity

Season 2 ended on a really good note and that will make further tie-ins really difficult.

The ship jumps to the 34th or 35th century, apparently permanently. While this is great for the show it’s probably going to make things difficult for Cryptic. Maybe they can get more Daniels.

Haven’t played the new stuff yet but Lorca and Landry are both characters from early S1 where they were trying to be as grimdark as possible. I can’t see this being any better than the other recent Discovery missions, which are uniformly terrible.

Incidentally I’ve just binged both seasons of The Orville and it is an unapologetic love letter to TNG. Well worth watching.

Mondian posted:

What's surprising to me is that they didn't try to push any of the Picard show or either of the animated projects. Hell, I'd gladly play content themed on that Nickelodeon Trek cartoon aimed at kids at this point. I guess its still too early for those?

Even the Kelvin stuff was years behind. I wouldn’t hold my breath, and it’s also pretty likely that the Picard show will completely invalidate STO’s story.

timjin posted:

Lorca is a grimdark captain who is actually from the Mirror Universe. Landry is a grimdark chief of security whose only notable role in the show was getting shredded by a space tardigrade.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

It's insane how much of season 2 was spent trying to fix all the weird season 1 decisions. "Klingons always had hair, they were just all shaved in s1. And they just barely started making the D7, that's why you didn't see it in the war. Nobody in TOS/TNG/DS9 used holograms because Control did bad things with them. The doctor that we killed off is back alive because of spacespore magic. Spock never mentioned his sister because it was classified." I'm probably missing a few things, too.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

The best part of Discovery was the part where they retconned themselves out of their own universe. If only we could feel the effects of that decision too

e: Can we all take a moment to acknowledge that they spend like half of season 2 building up this mysterious tension between Michael and Spock only for the big reveal to be that she called him a freak when he was 6 years old and he loving held onto that grudge for 30 years

Mondian fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 15, 2019

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I'd argue that season 2 was at least watchable unlike the unmitigated trainwreck that was S1, but oh god they had absolutely no long term planning and the absolutely laziest possible serial writing. They constantly introduced plot hooks that they clearly haven't planned the resolution too, which is obvious because when they did resolve it the resolution was either unsatisfying, blatantly contradicted things presented in the original setup, or both. The individual characters and actors are fine so maybe they might manage something half-decent if they can get a single consistent loving season done without the studio constantly sticking their dicks into the middle of things.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Yes all actors were fine and Anson Mount owned, but the writing on disco is just the worst in so many ways. I consistently wish I had more free time so I could make a series of ultra spergy video essays on the avalanche of embarrassing decisions they've made.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah I've actually really liked nearly everything about disco except for the writing (which is obviously super important). Just bad decision after bad decision, followed up by lovely fan-service and tortured retcons.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Mondian posted:

Yes all actors were fine and Anson Mount owned, but the writing on disco is just the worst in so many ways. I consistently wish I had more free time so I could make a series of ultra spergy video essays on the avalanche of embarrassing decisions they've made.

I cringed so hard at that "power of math" line that I think I pulled something.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is there a new TFO for that ticket thing yet or is that just on hold?

No, it's still on pause, the FTFO isn't out yet.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

I cringed so hard at that "power of math" line that I think I pulled something.

The Boreth episode did that to me. They had me with the big mines of moria redesign, but then they couldn't stop saying time crystals like it was an episode of Dr Who. I know its petty, but in every other Star Trek to date they'd be talking about how the crystalline lattice of Borethite naturally attenuates chroniton radiation such that etc etc, but its like in Disco they just had a [Time Crystal] placeholder in the script waiting for the technobabble treatment and then they got to that page on set and hey... we gotta wrap principal photography already so just say time crystals so the mouth breathers get it and we can get this scene over with...

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

To be fair, time crystals are a thing that actually kind of maybe exists, and was almost certainly the reason the writers shoved that specific term into that episode.

They are not however magic TARDIS LED-backlit quartz rocks, and the term sure sounds lazy as gently caress when actually said aloud repeatedly. :geno:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Coq au Nandos posted:

space tardigrade

On the subject of possibly dumb names, is it forgivable to call the space tardigrade "Space Bear" as slang?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bootcha posted:

On the subject of possibly dumb names, is it forgivable to call the space tardigrade "Space Bear" as slang?

nipple clamps make it an areolar bear

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Bootcha posted:

Not since we had to drive them out of Drozana.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The newest mission introduces enormous cheesy looking tear textures along with incredibly overwrought tearful dialogue. As a Klank, I have no idea why I should care about these long dead losers.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FYI there's a giveaway for the T1 oberth to do some STF runs with if you want to sign up with a throwaway email address here

You can redeem codes online here without having to download the lovely arc launcher.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AGGGGH BEES posted:

As a Klank, I have no idea why I should care about these long dead losers.

This has been one of my issues with the STD stuff, Cryptic doesn't seem to particularly care that there are three non-Fed factions in the game. Now granted, the last time they posted statistics Fed players of various stripes were something like 85% of the player base, but this stuff doesn't help.

CBS does have to personally review and approve of everything Cryptic wants to add to the game, though, so maybe the suits at CBS don't want people playing as the Klingons in this stuff. There are a number of battles in STD that could be interesting TFOs if we were playing them from the Klingon side.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cythereal posted:

This has been one of my issues with the STD stuff, Cryptic doesn't seem to particularly care that there are three non-Fed factions in the game. Now granted, the last time they posted statistics Fed players of various stripes were something like 85% of the player base, but this stuff doesn't help.

CBS does have to personally review and approve of everything Cryptic wants to add to the game, though, so maybe the suits at CBS don't want people playing as the Klingons in this stuff. There are a number of battles in STD that could be interesting TFOs if we were playing them from the Klingon side.

Very few players wanted to ever play as klingons. Most of the active KDF player base was pale skinned orions having ERP sessions on Old Drozana getting angry at goon fumigators.

Maybe it's changed since then but I doubt it. The ROI on investment to create purchasable assets for the KDF faction was historically not viable.

Work for PWE and want to make money? Forget ships and all that. Create more orion bikini costume bullshit (porting low res assets from champions?) and lock it behind large lobi transactions. Or some other high $$$ expendature.

Basically chase the second life players.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 15, 2019

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DancingShade posted:

Very few players wanted to ever play as klingons. Most of the active KDF player base was pale skinned orions having ERP sessions on Old Drozana getting angry at goon fumigators.

Maybe it's changed since then but I doubt it. The ROI on investment to create purchasable assets for the KDF faction was historically not viable.

Work for PWE and want to make money? Forget ships and all that. Create more orion bikini costume bullshit (porting low res assets from champions?) and lock it behind large lobi transactions. Or some other high $$$ expendature.

Oh, I know. It's the old chestnut: no one plays Klingons, so Klingons get no content. Klingons get no content, so no one plays Klingons.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Pre-LOR they had said Klanks comprise 15% of the playerbase, I'd surmise it has shrunk to <10% by now

Asimo posted:

To be fair, time crystals are a thing that actually kind of maybe exists, and was almost certainly the reason the writers shoved that specific term into that episode.

They are not however magic TARDIS LED-backlit quartz rocks, and the term sure sounds lazy as gently caress when actually said aloud repeatedly. :geno:

Arbitrarily shoving science buzzwords in was 100% part of the "writing process," see: dark matter and all the dumb poo poo they do with it

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Mondian posted:

Pre-LOR they had said Klanks comprise 15% of the playerbase, I'd surmise it has shrunk to <10% by now
And don't forget there's more federation sub-factions now than alternatives, it's got to be pretty dire all around.

At least playing klankrom now means that I don't have to buy ships often anymore, since there aren't any. :mmmsmug:

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

DancingShade posted:

Playing as a klingon was hard when the game first came out. You had to level a fed first (and this was before all the various XP revamps made leveling so fast). And even after you made one, they didn't have a full storyline, meaning the only way to level was to PVP. Of course the klingon playerbase was going to be smaller than the fed one. They were set up to fail from the beginning.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...
So, does anyone have any thoughts on pros/cons of the S31 Intel Destroyer?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lorak posted:

Cons: It's ugly, costs money and is unnecessary.

Pros: It's a ship that will do ship things.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

AGGGGH BEES posted:

The newest mission introduces enormous cheesy looking tear textures along with incredibly overwrought tearful dialogue. As a Klank, I have no idea why I should care about these long dead losers.

Same for Fed, honestly. The whole experience is framed as you doing simulations to get ready for some ancient Klingon warlord who’s been blasted forward in time... but you never actually see her in the 25th century and even if you did, presumably she’d be outgunned by a Miranda at this point. And now that Discovery has actually advanced beyond the very regrettable Klingon war arc, we know we’re doing simulations of a war that was basically just a historical footnote.

A better angle might be each faction running a simulation of a different part of the final days of the war - the Klingons reliving the Houses uniting, the Federation learning just how close they came to doing a genocide, the Romulans and Jem’Hadar learning about the futility of war, or division, or something similar. Perhaps the new threat isn’t actually Klingons at all, but the philosophy of personal glory above honour, or victory at all costs. The events of Discovery S1 should be painted as a cautionary tale.

Also the first new mission bugged out on me and Warden Geneva Convention wound up getting endlessly shot to death on the other side of an impenetrable forcefield, so I haven’t been able to play through any further anyway.

Lorak posted:

It’s basically another T6 Dyson Science Destroyer, with Intel spec thrown in. Since it’s 4/3, it’s probably a really good candidate for a science/torpedo build based around EPG and things like the Gravometric and Particle Emission torpedo.

The experimental weapon, console and trait all look underwhelming, but if you’re running a toro build the trait from the Klank ship (Ceaseless Momentum) looks like a must-have. It’ll be cheap for Feds, too.

Also:

This game is 1000% getting retconned.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Ahahaha voyager uniforms... so the merchandiser rumors were true

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Well at least we know those jupiter uniforms are never getting a texture upgrade.

Look forward to a mildly slightly barely perceptible change to the collar or something on your voyager uniforms. Slightly renamed and available only via the lobi store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Also speaking of sneaky things Cryptic has done...

Wasn't one of the 60-65 rewards 2 vice-admiral ship tokens?

It's now one.

I remember getting an escort, cruiser, and science boat at that rank later in the game.