Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

My MMO of choice as of late is Guild Wars 2, partially because they've been running events leading up to the next expansion (which they're revealing info for mid-summer).

But also I just love how Guild Wars 2 plays, and how they're pretty committed to the whole "no vertical progression" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i mostly fell off of ff14 at some point in 2020, burnt myself out hard doing restoration and then genshin came out, and also the coronavirus patch cycle has been kinda boring. i still haven't been to bozja and now i'm gonna have to spend a good two or three days grinding my rear end off there before the next update

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

restoration was still a cool thing to be involved with but, also a really good way to make you want to look at literally anything other than ff14

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
guild wars 2 is cool in many ways that are immediately kneecapped by how aggressively they use the cash shop.

ok you gotta monetize but maybe when i open the mount customization screen just one of the dozens of skins could be earned by in-game achievement instead of paying real money.

I know you can swap gold for premium currency but it's extremely grindy and tbh barely counts

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Just resub a week before endwalker and do the 5.x story then imo bozja isn't that great

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bozja is loving boring and hearkens back to the worst era of MMOs. Eurekas are worse.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 17, 2021

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

resub? ive never not been subbed to ff14

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The conclusion of eden is really good but also easily fit into a resub just before the expansion

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Bozja is loving boring and heartens back to the worst era of MMOs. Eurekas are worse.
eureka was amazing, though

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I know Yoship is like "you can unsub that's fine" but I don't want to break my veteran reward streak...

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
eureka and bozja seem to be laboring under the extreme delusion that 'big grind' and 'penalty for death' go together and they very much don't.

bozja at least has it's leveling separate and you can level alts in it so it's better by default

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Acerbatus posted:

how bad is world of horror for jump scares?

Not terrible. There are a few jump scare moments and there’s a persistent sense of dread, but I’d say that the game is pretty good about not relying on having something pop up on the screen out of no where to spook you.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i'm a legacy so I only pay $8/mo, which is cheap enough that i don't really give a gently caress if the only reason i log in some months is to make sure my house doesn't get demolished

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
you might say i've never unsubbed, thanks to the free trial that goes up through level 60 and the first expansion. brought to you by yokai watch

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

eureka and bozja seem to be laboring under the extreme delusion that 'big grind' and 'penalty for death' go together and they very much don't.

bozja at least has it's leveling separate and you can level alts in it so it's better by default
there are times in eureka where it makes a certain amount of sense, at least. makes BA a lot more intense for one, to know that on top of getting kicked out of the place when you die, you also are going to rank down

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

homeless snail posted:

i'm a legacy so I only pay $8/mo, which is cheap enough that i don't really give a gently caress if the only reason i log in some months is to make sure my house doesn't get demolished

i'm an idiot who's paying for 2 extra retainers because what if I need this rock I mined 500 hours ago someday or this fish

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

The fanfest gave me ffxiv brain

:same: sorry other games

Arzaac posted:

My MMO of choice as of late is Guild Wars 2, partially because they've been running events leading up to the next expansion (which they're revealing info for mid-summer).

But also I just love how Guild Wars 2 plays, and how they're pretty committed to the whole "no vertical progression" thing.

Yeah, I really like how GW2 plays and I'm looking forward to learning about the new expansion (especially the new elite specs). I probably stick with FFXIV more overall but I regularly come back to GW2 and it's always a good time. Mesmer and Elementalist (especially Weaver) are probably my favorite MMO classes I've ever played.

May 8, 2006

homeless snail posted:

there are times in eureka where it makes a certain amount of sense, at least. makes BA a lot more intense for one, to know that on top of getting kicked out of the place when you die, you also are going to rank down

to be fair i never did BA (it seems real cool but I didn't want to engage with eureka enough to get to it) so I'll take your word on that one. for my taste the idea of taking a swing at hard content then needing to grind back up before i can try again is kind of repellant, even if in practice it ends up not being a big deal. i liked palace of the dead but i never actually made it to 200 because on my attempt one of my friends goofed and wiped us at floor 190~ and i could never get the drive back to try again.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I really like how GW2 plays and I'm looking forward to learning about the new expansion (especially the new elite specs). I probably stick with FFXIV more overall but I regularly come back to GW2 and it's always a good time. Mesmer and Elementalist (especially Weaver) are probably my favorite MMO classes I've ever played.

Elite specs are definitely one of the cooler things about GW2. I really appreciate how they're all effectively variations on a theme. Like, Thief is class focused on agility and stealth. So base thief is about what you would expect from a rogue class, but Daredevil emphasizes the agility and effectively is close to a monk with a staff. And Deadeye leans into stealth, but instead of a bog standard assassination rogue it's instead more of a "stealthy sniper" fantasy.

Oh, and I did find it really cool how some of the Elite Specs from the latest expansion were desert themed. Mesmer becoming a Mirage and Necromancer summoning sand shades as Scourge were both extremely awesome.

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 17, 2021

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the secret of BA is that it isnt very hard, proto ozma is maybe extreme trial difficulty, AV is like maybe extreme level but one of the easier ones. the penalty for dying being so onerous though means even walking down a hallway can be an incredibly intense and stressful thing. it was a great time for me

potd is a lot harder imo, but also the penalty for dying in high potd is way more painful too

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My current MMORPG is Elder Scrolls Online. I like this game because it gives you the most freedom of any MMORPG out there in how you want to level up your characters. Want to focus entirely on grinding one area of the game, just killing enemies? You can absolutely do this. Doing all of the quests though, and seeing the different storylines is totally valid too. There is also dungeons, and PvP as legit and fast ways to level up. I like playing healers in ESO, and so I do the dungeons.

A lot of MMOs try to really force you into certain activities, either by making doing other things really inefficient, or there just arent enough players to do them. Most MMORPGs just don't have the player numbers for group content, or they gate you off from being able to do what you might find fun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I haven't played a ton of ESO, but I did play a couple years ago and do the Morrowind expansion story, which was surprisingly good. Some pretty great setpieces, and I had fun messing around with the magicka Nightblade I was playing. I'll probably play it again sometime, though I still wish they'd add more weapon options. Still really want a magicka melee weapon of some kind.

I appreciate that ESO has no class-based restrictions on what kind of armor you're allowed to wear, and as a result also has no limitations on what you can transmog. Want to wear all light armor but look like you're in full plate? Yeah, sure, go ahead, have fun.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I liked TESO well enough then realized I had put 80 hours into it and was still a million years away from the level cap. I know this is a weird thing to say when I play xiv lol, but I did start playing that back in 2.1 before any of the expansions. I might have bounced off of it if I tried to start in Shadowbringers.

I forget which NPC it was but at one point I posted in the TESO thread that I really liked them and somebody said "hit me up next time you log on and I'll give you and item related to that!" and then they never did before I stopped playing

I wonder what it was going to be

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That reminds me, I also think it's kinda cool how ESO has the opposite of GW2's level scaling. GW2 has minimum levels for every area and if you're enough above the area's level, scales you down to be closer in power to the enemies there. ESO, on the other hand, just scales the entire world to the player, so you can go to any open-world zone right off the bat and start progressing there. It's kinda fun. It's the kind of thing I might not enjoy in a single-player open-world game, but I think it's a good idea for an MMO where someone might want to jump right into the newest, shiniest thing or play where all their friends are.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Unlocking the secret boss in katana zero is a huge pain in the rear end, because you need to replay the entire game but also sit through all the dialogue again

And if you get a strep wrong you bet you're doing it all over again.

Like I can beat the game inside of a half hour, making it an hour and a half long with cutscenes just sucks now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-05-13-google-says-stadia-is-alive-and-well

My "our gaming platform is alive and well" public statement has people asking a lot of questions already answered by the public statement.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Katana Zero out of Ten

Gottem

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Harrow posted:

I appreciate that ESO has no class-based restrictions on what kind of armor you're allowed to wear, and as a result also has no limitations on what you can transmog. Want to wear all light armor but look like you're in full plate? Yeah, sure, go ahead, have fun.

This is honestly excellent and I really wish Guild Wars did that too. Like, the transmog options are pretty decent in GW2 but also at the same time it would be really cool to have my thief in robes for that "Monk with a Staff" aesthetic.

Also frankly, I don't like a lot of the medium armor sets and as a result he's been a pirate for like 5 years

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arzaac posted:

This is honestly excellent and I really wish Guild Wars did that too. Like, the transmog options are pretty decent in GW2 but also at the same time it would be really cool to have my thief in robes for that "Monk with a Staff" aesthetic.

Also frankly, I don't like a lot of the medium armor sets and as a result he's been a pirate for like 5 years

Yeah I have several characters in GW2 that I wish I could dress up in different armor types than what their profession lets them wear. I'd actually like to put my Weaver in medium armor, I think it'd look cool for an agile swordmage aesthetic. Or a Reaper Necromancer in heavy armor for the full dark knight aesthetic.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Whenever I think of elder scrolls online I think of the trailer where the archer character jumps down from their good vantage point to... Fight in melee range using an arrow as a melee weapon

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also the screaming e3 lady

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Whenever I think of elder scrolls online I think of the trailer where the archer character jumps down from their good vantage point to... Fight in melee range using an arrow as a melee weapon

What else would you do with one?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Was it their last arrow?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Acerbatus posted:

Unlocking the secret boss in katana zero is a huge pain in the rear end, because you need to replay the entire game but also sit through all the dialogue again

And if you get a strep wrong you bet you're doing it all over again.

Like I can beat the game inside of a half hour, making it an hour and a half long with cutscenes just sucks now.

I didn’t even know there was a secret boss. They must have had an update recently that I overlooked

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LawfulWaffle posted:

I didn’t even know there was a secret boss. They must have had an update recently that I overlooked

No it's been there forever.

Interrupt the therapist every time you can, talk to Electrohead, tell him you talked to Electrohead, kill all the police officers in the prison. Do that all and you'll fight him after Headhunter.

KZ spoiller:

All I have left to do is finish the game in hard mode and...Hard mode sucks. There's probably a way to do it reliably but I sure as hell can't figure it out.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So I finally decided to try Nioh.

The core combat is great. It feels really good to play. I enjoy the aesthetics and all the weapon types, and the enemies are fun and challenging to fight. I love the stances, and the way each weapon develops.

I loving hate the inventory and equipment system. Just about everything to do with it. I am positively drowning in garbage that I don't know what to do with. Every enemy seems to drop a piece of equipment, every piece of equipment has tiny randomized bonuses and different numbers, and you can sell it for Souls, but then there is forging and disassembling and materials, and I just... this is possibly the best example I have ever seen of a game where less would have been more. All this needless, brain numbing complexity only serves to come between you and the satisfying combat. Me pausing the game to check every piece of equipment to see if it is marginally better than the one I'm wearing, even if it's the same thing in name and appearance, obliterates this game's pacing. I've never seen a game get in its own way so badly.

I've decided at this point that I am going to ignore most of the numbers, because if I don't, I will very quickly come to hate this game outright. My equipment decisions will now come down to whether or not it looks cool. Everything else might as well not exist.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'm so close to finishing my degree that I can taste it and once all my study is done I'm going to game until my eyes fall out. :hai:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

I'm so close to finishing my degree that I can taste it and once all my study is done I'm going to game until my eyes fall out. :hai:

I've done this except in the reverse order

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I am playing etrian odyssey 4, just got to the 2nd land for the first time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mode 7 posted:

There are few things in life that give me as much of a sense of peace as knowing that I am forever done with college

Congrats