Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think it's bad but it didn't blow me away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
chrono trigger's fine but people are pretty selective about remembering the cool parts and treat it being 15 hours as proof of how short rpgs are better and forget the parts that are just kinda repetitive combat without a lot of interesting character writing going on, instead of realizing oh god, this game is 15 hours and it still has weird filler where nothing is really happening

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Endorph posted:

frankly ive had people send me insanely weird/creepy PMs because i posted 'chrono trigger is kinda bad' in the rpg thread so i find it hard to find this red text that funny. unfortunately i dont have 5 dollars to get rid of it.

ah, sorry

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also chrono trigger might have the slowest combat ive ever seen in a jrpg

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Colonel posted:

chrono trigger's fine but people are pretty selective about remembering the cool parts and treat it being 15 hours as proof of how short rpgs are better and forget the parts that are just kinda repetitive combat without a lot of interesting character writing going on, instead of realizing oh god, this game is 15 hours and it still has weird filler where nothing is really happening

idk i played a good chunk of it for the first time last year and every part of it was pretty solid at worst

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Colonel posted:

It's cool that part of the game involves leaving Robo in the past, watching him till soil or whatever for a few thousand years, and then picking him up in the future.

That is one of five things I remember about the game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

symbolic posted:

idk i played a good chunk of it for the first time last year and every part of it was pretty solid at worst

if all you want is like the sense of mysterious snes jrpg adventure times it's probably more consistently interesting, i like some of its atmosphere but there are some decently long stretches where none of its characters really have that much going on to speak of and the party dynamics aren't always that interesting and that's the stuff that i enjoy in an rpg so it weighs on it for me. like every party member has a cool idea behind them but since chrono is mute his only real interactions with people are the silent jrpg protag miming and that's never worked for me and a lot of them don't really have much going on with other characters in the party besides him

honestly the complaints i have with chrono trigger are basically the same complaints i have with breath of fire iv so i guess that's just a specific type of old rpg writing that doesnt do it for me

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 29, 2023

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Colonel posted:

if all you want is like the sense of mysterious snes jrpg adventure times it's probably more consistently interesting, i like some of its atmosphere but there are some decently long stretches where none of its characters really have that much going on to speak of and the party dynamics aren't always that interesting and that's the stuff that i enjoy in an rpg so it weighs on it for me. like every party member has a cool idea behind them but since chrono is mute his only real interactions with people are the silent jrpg protag miming and that's never worked for me and a lot of them don't really have much going on with other characters in the party besides him

yeah i was just approaching it as going along for the ride since i've heard it hyped up to astronomical levels before playing it and didn't focus anywhere near as much on like character dev or anything like that, that's probably why it worked so well for me bc on a purely atmospheric level it's pretty much unrivaled

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ty symbolic

but chrono trigger has some neat vibes when like, corridors of time is playing but when i want atmosphere i think about RPGs like. fuckin' baroque or smth

https://twitter.com/dreamboum/status/1545213854321446912?lang=ga

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i think time travel stories are catnip for a lot of people, it happens with anime too

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

when i played chrono trigger i thought it was alright but felt pretty underwhelmed after all the hype around it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

i think time travel stories are catnip for a lot of people, it happens with anime too
i like the joke in wixoss where the wish granting girl goes 'you can wish for anything you want. except going back in time. that just makes things convoluted.'

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I went on a big SNES RPG binge at one point and Chronotrigger was definitely the one that I thought was the best.

Earthbound (dare I say it) was the one I found kinda overrated.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

those old ATB games are just not that fun to operate compared to just having a speed stat / timeline determine the variable turn order instead of having to wait constantly

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i like chrono trigger but i think a lot of my enjoyment of it is a strong aesthetic/soundtrack and enjoying the fight system and lack of random battles. i wouldn't call it god's gift to game writing or anything but it's still a fun romp.

i can also totally see how it wouldn't vibe with someone and sending pms about that is really unhinged

Fangz posted:

I went on a big SNES RPG binge at one point and Chronotrigger was definitely the one that I thought was the best.

Earthbound (dare I say it) was the one I found kinda overrated.

yeah when i did a big snes jrpg romp like 15 years ago this is what i came away with also

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Also playing on an emulator means you can just hit the fast forward button if you get bored of the animations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Calling something overrated is for the weak. Them's the rules.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I am extremely weak

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Earthbound also owns what thr gently caress

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

truly there really is only one good subforum to discuss gaming in

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Srice posted:

Calling something overrated is for the weak. Them's the rules.

agreed. sometimes people like poo poo i don't, who loving cares lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Chrono Trigger is good

Earthbound is good

I should see if the batteries still work in my carts so I can sell them on eBay lol

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
lot of "how do you feel about the gamefaqs top ten list" in adtrw this past week

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Endorph posted:

ty symbolic

but chrono trigger has some neat vibes when like, corridors of time is playing but when i want atmosphere i think about RPGs like. fuckin' baroque or smth

I have the ps2 version of this, it's kind of a pain in the rear end

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Endorph posted:

ty symbolic

holy poo poo i have been trying to remember the name of this for SO loving LONG but couldn't remember it. somebody did an lp of it here thank you so loving much

copy
Jul 26, 2007

it was the ps2 version

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3545744

i can rest at last....

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Colonel posted:

please watch like dunbine or escaflowne or rayearth or shokei shoujo or endro or something

watch that janky rear end ova adaptation of eternal filena i heard has lovely subs and only covers like the first couple volumes, that's gotta be more interesting

Watch Inuyasha

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
isekai fans: play utawarerumono

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Space Flower posted:

lot of "how do you feel about the gamefaqs top ten list" in adtrw this past week

Yeah it's good

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.

The Colonel posted:

every time you people talk about this i feel like i'm in another dimension cause i literally haven't watched a single fantasy show that pulled this unquestioningly and didnt treat it as a major thing to deal with in years airing either now or even more than 20 years ago
They do treat it as a major thing. As a majorly good and sometimes noble thing because the owner treats them so well and they're in love haha I'm not really kidding it's real bad

"Is this one of the 'good-slavery' isekais?" is a much more useful and easy to answer filter than you might imagine.

The biggest popularity one I'm aware of has been Shield Hero, but there's many others.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Malsangoroth posted:

I never watch the trailers for any anime I watch. Just like playing a level 1 wizard in DnD, I charge in blindly and hope for the best.

:same:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Tales of Woe posted:

those old ATB games are just not that fun to operate compared to just having a speed stat / timeline determine the variable turn order instead of having to wait constantly

The old atb Final Fantasies are still fun cause the combat is fast and the atb adds tension to the fight. Chrono trigger just feels slow both cause the system is slow for ATB and cause the start of the fight is so slow cause the enemies are on the map. It's a neat visual the first few times and for bosses but after awhile it just sort of drags when you need to go through a map

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
EB has like this weird inverse difficulty thing where if feels like you're constantly just barely getting by until you pick up Paula and she can actually heal you.

I replayed it when it came out on the switch and unless you were grinding through the forest by Ness' the first town boss is a chore.

CT really had a different vibe when it came out since things like team-attacks and the whole battle system was fresher.

I don't know if people feel the 8-Bit Big Band is played out but I love what they did with Polyanna from Mother

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP8JgWd6TW0

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Chrono Trigger is a GOAT but if you don't like it its no big deal

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Suzera posted:

They do treat it as a major thing. As a majorly good and sometimes noble thing because the owner treats them so well and they're in love haha I'm not really kidding it's real bad

"Is this one of the 'good-slavery' isekais?" is a much more useful and easy to answer filter than you might imagine.

The biggest popularity one I'm aware of has been Shield Hero, but there's many others.

i've just avoided watching those shows because there are other fantasy shows to watch. ones that have things i give a poo poo about

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

The Colonel posted:

i've just avoided watching those shows because there are other fantasy shows to watch. ones that have things i give a poo poo about
Sometimes, you have watched all the other things.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

You have watched all the other things, and then you see a show with a premise that "Hey this guy thought he was going on an adventure and got the worst weapon you can't even attack with! He's been put into the Worst Possible Game Position as an outcast with no resources too" and you think "What if he had to do some kind of game challenge exploit strats in a world where everyone takes it seriously as an rp world? Maybe that could be interesting" and then it turns out all of this is basically the opposite of what the show is about since he has actually the most powerful weapon and comrade(-slave)s.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 29, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think it's actually possible to run out of the other things unless you have watched absolutely every fantasy anime and ova ever released, including all the weird 80s ones nobody's subbed

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

The Colonel posted:

i dont think it's actually possible to run out of the other things unless you have watched absolutely every fantasy anime and ova ever released, including all the weird 80s ones nobody's subbed
I've been at this a while so I've been through or tried most of the big classic rec stuff, and some of the isekai stuff is actually pretty entertaining and moreso than some of the random old stuff I've watched. Sometimes you get a Konosuba or a Re:Zero or an Eminence in Shadow. But sometimes you get a slave love harem or somesuch by surprise if you don't check for that first instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sometimes you look at your Crunchy dash and are like "dang, it's between seasons and my watchlist is pretty boring atm" and then you just Start Scrolling.

Not any different than "there are 900 channels and nothing is on".