Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

StashAugustine posted:

Need a bit of advice here- I'm working on objective markers for Saga using livestock and shepherds, I can fit a couple onto a base but so far my usual process for metals with the cast on base is to glue to base, apply basing material, then prime and paint; and it looks to be kind of a pain to do that with multiple models on a base

This is a little involved but when I don't want the cast base I tend to snip off everything except for the material beneath one foot, cut/file that down into a peg, and drill a hole into the base to run the peg through.

It's like pinning without having to fiddle with matching holes. A big drill bit is crucial though so you don't have to do a lot of shaping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Yeah, see, I feel like in a lot of ways CoC handles that really well too. The forces are what they are (like, the US infantry platoon has pretty much the same structure throughout the war), the scenario tells you how many supports you get, and then you tack on the difference between force ratings. Easy-peasy. For most of the basic stuff the platoons are easily available. Sure, if you want to play something obscure like Polish cavalry scouts you might need to do some digging, but for the most part it's pretty easy to build forces for CoC.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I can't remember if there are platoon lists in the core rulebook or not because it's been years since I read it and then never played, but even the idea of not just being able to buy the "America" book and have it tell you exactly how many mans you need to buy is too much for some people.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Springfield Fatts posted:

If you've got a 3d printer Turner Miniatures just did a line of VDV.

And also follow him on Kickstarter, he does awesome historical projects. He's done Napoleonics, 7YW, and ACW in 6-15mm, complete with Blender exporters to customize the figures, plus Age of Sail in 1/700 and 1/1200. The latest AoS project has exporters for sails, rigging, and ratlines. Phenomenal stuff.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am making a huge Imperial Guard Army for 40k. Half of it is Krieg and will be in German colors and the other half will be Cadians as us forces. The new cadians have very prominent knee patches so I am painting them up as Paratroopers. The old Cadians I have will be done up as US rifle infantry. That will also make it seem plausible for the difference in sculpts. The benefit is I can play bolt action with this army as well!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

My 3mm Austrians are 'done until I paint another force':

You can just about make out the different uniforms. I chose to make the grenzer light infantry to be half ranked, half skirmishing - not realistic but easily identifiable:

They could do with touching up/etc. but I'm a bit 'done' with them for now and want to get an opposing army sorted before going back for the final pass on all of them in one go. I wonder if a scenic display base might be a good idea, given how nice they look arrayed like this? I'm thinking of my old RT/40k miniatures which are single based and just chucked at the back of one of my shelves.

Ilor posted:

This is weird to me, because I feel like BA has more fiddly tables than CoC. BA certainly has more fiddly modifiers to all its rolls. Once you grasp the core mechanics of CoC (the Patrol Phase, the Command Dice, and the "Bad Things Happen" roll), it is a remarkably easy game to play. I've taught lots of people at both my regular gaming group and at conventions and people seem to pick it up very quickly. Except for like one crusty old guy.

Fair play, I will run through both sets of rules myself first. The AB Models 20mm minis have arrived and by jove they're wonderful. I'm not sure about basing - my gut feeling is 25mm/2p is best:

I forgot that GW have moved to 32mm bases and I think they look a bit TOO big, particularly if I'm going to be using 1/2" or CM for my measurements...

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 20, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Most of my 20mm stuff is based on 2c coins, although much of my WWII plastics are on 5c. The GW bases are just waaaay too big.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

GW does still sell 25 mm bases.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I am making a huge Imperial Guard Army for 40k. Half of it is Krieg and will be in German colors and the other half will be Cadians as us forces. The new cadians have very prominent knee patches so I am painting them up as Paratroopers. The old Cadians I have will be done up as US rifle infantry. That will also make it seem plausible for the difference in sculpts. The benefit is I can play bolt action with this army as well!

I shaved off the kneepads for my Cadian Soviets (though most of them are Kriegers), it was pretty easy.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Just got my pledge manager email from Fireforge. I…eh… forgot that I backer for six boxes of plastic samurai in a flight of confidence. I guess that would be enough for an opfor for my Eastern army that is close to a playable army.

Guess some speed painting samurai techniques will have to be explored in 2023?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Arquinsiel posted:

I can't remember if there are platoon lists in the core rulebook or not because it's been years since I read it and then never played, but even the idea of not just being able to buy the "America" book and have it tell you exactly how many mans you need to buy is too much for some people.
Yeah, the basic book has platoon lists for the US (infantry platoon, armored rifle platoon, paratroopers), Germany (heer infantry, panzergrenadiers, fallshirmjagers), the UK (infantry, motor, and airborne platoons), and the Soviet Union (rifle and tank rider platoons). The Blitzkrieg 1940 book has scads of early war lists for the French, Germans, Dutch, Belgians, British, and Italians. There are also scads of free downloads on the TFL website for a bunch of other lists (Barbarossa Germans, Malaya Japanese and Australians, North Africa 8th Army and DAK, mid-war Italians and Black Shirts, Romanians, early war Soviets, Finns, etc). I imagine with the East Asia/Pacific book on the horizon we'll also see lists for the Japanese and Chinese all the way through the war, along with US Marines and more detail on some of the weirder British lists like the Chindits. The community is also really good about making research available and coming up with lists that reflect a huge variety of particular nation/time/place combinations. And the dude who runs TinyHordes maintains a pretty comprehensive archive.

It's not as easy as "America book," but it's not at all hard.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Speaking of, new Lard magazine is out.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I started reading the BA rules and gosh, I think you might be correct -there are an awful lot of rules, rule exceptions, and then exceptions to those rules, i.e. "units that are assaulted may fire on their attackers before combat, but not if the assault starts from <6" away, except if they have an ambush order" , or "troops orders reset at the end of a turn except down/ambush, except if you choose to fire with ambush, except when doing so if you roll a 1-3 on a D6 then you don't do anything after all". Maybe I just go with my heart and CoC after all.

The AB Models sculpts are really divine:

I'm still quite pleased with my DBN force, but reluctant to sort the opposing French out until I've got some of my backlog resolved so unlikely to get them to the table for a while. It's VERY odd looking at individually based skirmish games after spending so much time watching/reading rank-and-flank battle reports...

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Test mini painted - since this I have gone over with a basecoat + pale sand highlight but looks basically the same because I'm not a great painter:

Paint is all vallejo:

Helmet/Trousers/Straps - Heavy Charcoal
Jacket - Fieldgrau
Bandolier/etc. - Heavy Brown
Boots - Black
Skin - Heavy Skintone
Metals - Black + Steel

Washed with black/brown mix and then highlighted over again. Pretty simple. I wouldn't normally use black, but I think the contrast needs to be kept up so they read easily at tabletop distances...

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Mind a minor nitpick? The ammo pouches and waist belt were black for the Wehrmacht, brown was Luftwaffe:

Sorry, I'm being pedantic.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

That’s a pretty incredible nitpick you’ve got there

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

honestly I would always rather a Goon correct me than some retiree at a convention

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Endman posted:

That’s a pretty incredible nitpick you’ve got there

lol, first time in teh official SA button counting thread or .. ?/

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol, first time in teh official SA button counting thread or .. ?/

On the contrary, I know that due to supply issues in the Nazi war machine, it's very likely that some soldiers would be issued the wrong colour of pouches because it's all that was available at the time

:goonsay:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Digging through grandpa's lerrers for evidence that buttons were anecdotally fielded below paper strength.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yasss finally some good rivet counting, it’s been a while. ;) just kidding, that looks like a great level for tabletop.

I’m suddenly getting stoked again about painting samurai. Reading up on the heraldry of Kuroda and Ukita as potential next units. I might have to make a stab at finding a speed paint method that I’m happy with, I always tend to get bogged by adding more highlights and details.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

alg posted:

honestly I would always rather a Goon correct me than some retiree at a convention

Quote for truth, and only ever suspiciously about nazi poo poo.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I like people that try to "well actually" your models after they're already completely painted and based. Like, I'm not gonna re-paint them so why bring it up?

Endman
May 18, 2010

Painting the buttons on the uniforms of my Young Guard the wrong metal ON PURPOSE

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Endman posted:

Painting the buttons on the uniforms of my Young Guard the wrong metal ON PURPOSE

You MONSTER

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Cessna posted:

Mind a minor nitpick? The ammo pouches and waist belt were black for the Wehrmacht, brown was Luftwaffe:

Sorry, I'm being pedantic.

Honestly in this case, with one figure painted and 40+ to go, that's lovely to know NOW rather than later, as Class Warcraft has pointed out. I take it you mean the LITTLE belt pouches? On that note, there's a bunch of other stuff on his back which are all just plain brown for now - a ribbed cylinder most prominently - should that be some variant of brown or green? Any other obvious mess-ups before I go through another few dozen of these?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The ribbed cylinder is the gas mask case and IIRC that was bare metal. Easy enough to check once you know what it is though.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Endman posted:

On the contrary, I know that due to supply issues in the Nazi war machine, it's very likely that some soldiers would be issued the wrong colour of pouches because it's all that was available at the time

:goonsay:

It's possible. Like I said, Luftwaffe stuff WAS brown. But the rest of the figure looks like it has "steingrau" gray trousers, which puts it at (roughly) 1941 or before*. That means he'd probably have standard-issue gear for early to mid war (which could certainly last into late war), good for someone in, say, France 1940 or Barbarossa 1941. At that point the supply system hadn't completely shattered, so odds are he'd have the black pouches/belt. If your models have stuff from a bit later, like if their trousers are the same "feldgrau" green as the "feldbluse" (jacket/tunic) and you've got some figures with camouflage smocks, you're probably looking at a bit later in the war when their stuff starts to be more of a hodge-podge.

* There are ALWAYS exceptions here; as the war went on they started recycling stuff, so you can see things like early war uniforms and gear in very late war photos.

Southern Heel posted:

Honestly in this case, with one figure painted and 40+ to go, that's lovely to know NOW rather than later, as Class Warcraft has pointed out.

Thanks. I really wasn't trying to be a pedantic rear end - the figure looks really good and I figured you were okay with advice to get it spot-on. Again, my apologies for being a douche.

Southern Heel posted:

I take it you mean the LITTLE belt pouches?

Yes, the ones on the front, worn at waist level in groups of three. They're for rifle bullets and are black. The belt they're hung on is also black. The suspenders ("Y-straps") holding the belt are also black, except for a part in back where they loop back and are undyed leather. Pretty much all German army leather stuff was dyed black on one side (the rough/outer side), undyed on the other (smooth/inner) side.

Southern Heel posted:

On that note, there's a bunch of other stuff on his back which are all just plain brown for now - a ribbed cylinder most prominently - should that be some variant of brown or green? Any other obvious mess-ups before I go through another few dozen of these?

That's the gas mask canister; it's painted a green color. They might also have a gas sheet in a rubberized cloth envelope strapped to the can:

It's next to the canteen, which is covered with brown felt, with a black or green cup on top.

Long ago before the alt-right was on the rise and the country elected a drat fascist I did WWII reenactments, as Soviets or Germans. I don't do it anymore, gently caress Nazis and everything they stand for.

Here's a couple of pics that show gear that might help as a color guide:

This is the "1944 hodge-podge" look I was referring to. The stuff is basically similar, but not as uniform as it would have been earlier in the war. I'm on the right:

Here's another of me, with a more "uniform" look:

More pics of our group, this time as Soviets:

And Germans:

Me again, on our T-34:

Let me know if I can answer any questions about German or Soviet gear.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
How do I get a T-34 for my Soviet reenacting?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

How do I get a T-34 for my Soviet reenacting?

Before they invaded Ukraine Russia used to sell T-34s and other stuff. You could buy them through importers in the UK or Eastern Europe (often Czech Republic). You could get a T-34 for ~$45K (heavily dependent on condition) plus ~$20K to ship it to the States. You also have to fill out a bunch of paperwork and have it inspected to prove it can't shoot.

This particular one was purchased by a collective of reenactors.

If you're connected with reenactor circles they do occasionally come up for sale.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Did the Germans keep gas masks in the gas mask holder? I assume it was issued with a mask, but given the lack of chemical warfare I wonder if they used it to store other supplies instead. Although after watching Fury it seems they may have used white phosphorus so there might have been a need for the masks?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Did the Germans keep gas masks in the gas mask holder? I assume it was issued with a mask, but given the lack of chemical warfare I wonder if they used it to store other supplies instead. Although after watching Fury it seems they may have used white phosphorus so there might have been a need for the masks?

Generally speaking, yes, due to collective memories of WWI. US GIs in particular were notorious for ditching their gas masks when they got the chance, but I've never found record or reference to German soldiers doing that. I think they all expected the Allies to unleash gas "any day now," and they didn't want to get caught without a mask.

That said, even with the mask stuffed in there it is still useful as a waterproof container. I've found references to soldiers keeping cigarettes in them, and I kept a (reproduction) pack of cigarettes and matches in mine:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Class Warcraft posted:

I like people that try to "well actually" your models after they're already completely painted and based. Like, I'm not gonna re-paint them so why bring it up?

I'm going to start throwing mine away, that'll help with the backlog.

SpellingError
May 7, 2014

Cessna posted:

Generally speaking, yes, due to collective memories of WWI. US GIs in particular were notorious for ditching their gas masks when they got the chance, but I've never found record or reference to German soldiers doing that. I think they all expected the Allies to unleash gas "any day now," and they didn't want to get caught without a mask.

That said, even with the mask stuffed in there it is still useful as a waterproof container. I've found references to soldiers keeping cigarettes in them, and I kept a (reproduction) pack of cigarettes and matches in mine:

A bit of anecdotal evicence:

My granddad served in France from 1942, when he was conscripted, until 1944, when he surrendered to "die Amis". He told me it was quite common to ditch the gas masks and keep personal stuff (rations, letters, cigarettes) in the watertight container. Mind you, his posting was relatively peaceful, so it might not have been that common on other fronts or under stricter commanding officers.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

It's also worth remembering that a lot of the German stuff came in a range of colors. Everyone has seen the pic with the range of feldbluse (tunic) colors, but that applies to other stuff, like breadbags:

These are hung on the belt and are used to carry stuff. Bread, sure, but also things like extra socks and your meth-infused chocolate. Most early ones were "feldgrau," then ~1941 they went to a more olive-green color. There were also "Tropical" ones in tan, intended for the Afrika Korps but issued to everyone after that was destroyed. And the Luftwaffe had theirs made in shades of blue.

As a result, don't get hung up on trying to find the exact shade for anything, generally getting in the range - "dark green" or whatever - is good.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

SpellingError posted:

A bit of anecdotal evicence:

My granddad served in France from 1942, when he was conscripted, until 1944, when he surrendered to "die Amis". He told me it was quite common to ditch the gas masks and keep personal stuff (rations, letters, cigarettes) in the watertight container. Mind you, his posting was relatively peaceful, so it might not have been that common on other fronts or under stricter commanding officers.

Excellent info, thanks!

SpellingError
May 7, 2014

Cessna posted:

Excellent info, thanks!

As you mentioned the chocolate - the chocolate the Wehrmacht soldiers received with their usual rations was complete meth-free - though it contained quita a bit of coffeine. It was called Scho-Ka-Kola and came in round tins/packaging. My granddad was quite the sweet tooth, and he didn't smoke. So of course he traded all his cigarettes for his comrades' chocolate rations. Which he then kept in his gas mask canister, because it was water-tight.

Scho-Ka-Kola was also called "Fliegerschokolade", because it first appeared in the rations of the newly-created Luftwaffe in the thirties.

The term "Panzerschokolade" is what usually creates the confusion about meth chokolate. However, it refers to the normal Pervitin pills (also called Göring-Pillen, Stuka-Pillen and a plethora of other terms). Like in: "Look at those crazy Panzer guys, they swallow their Pervitin pills like we eat chocolate."

SpellingError
May 7, 2014
Sorry, I did not want to come across as know-it-all. Was just browsing this thread, thinking about getting back into painting and saw the gas mask discussion :)

Some lovely phone pics of some older (not very well painted) miniatures. BA Starter box and some Afrika Korps:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I appreciate the anecdote because a lot of this information doesn't necessarily get written down and might end up being information lost to the ages in a few decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Scho-ka-kola is still being made, if you for some reason want to eat six cups of coffee by delicious accident.