Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I just want 90's Bulls games upconverted damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Too bad that remastered Frasier will probably never happen. Be pretty foolish to have my hopes up for the new season. That said, I was able to watch all of Homicide: Life on the Streets last year despite its awful visual quality, because it was just so drat good.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Remastered Frasier already happened earlier this year or late last year. It looks great. Not sure if the new masters have made it to the streaming services yet.

EDIT: I was curious so I checked. Hulu still has the old SD 4x3 episodes. But Paramount Plus has the new HD masters, but they've been reformatted to 16x9, which is personal preference whether or not you like that. The Blu-Rays are HD 4x3, which is pretty much the gold standard.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 30, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Those 16x9 HD episodes have been airing on various stations for years too.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

Remastered Frasier already happened earlier this year or late last year. It looks great.

There are also remasters of Cheers and M*A*S*H.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Remastered 90s sitcoms was not a square I had on my bingo card

Who has the remaster of MASH? I've seen probably half the episodes but it was over broadcast as a child, on the channel that was always slightly fuzzy, not sure I could handle seeing it without the contrast being blown out and some slight static dancing everywhere

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Remastered 90s sitcoms was not a square I had on my bingo card

Who has the remaster of MASH? I've seen probably half the episodes but it was over broadcast as a child, on the channel that was always slightly fuzzy, not sure I could handle seeing it without the contrast being blown out and some slight static dancing everywhere

The 90s sitcom that ran from 1972 to 1982 is on Disney +

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I meant Fraiser

But great I'll check out mash thanks

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's pretty easy to remaster most US TV as the bulk of it was shot on film. It's only when special effects get into the mix that things get a little more difficult.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I got this tv about 6 or 7 years ago: https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/4k-suhd-tvs/55-class-ks8000-8-series-4k-suhd-tv-2016-model-un55ks8000fxza/v2/, mostly for console gaming.

I am having a problem currently where the longer it is on, the more the color gets washed out. Having it off resolves it for a bit, but then it would fade out again. I also think heat also exacerbates this (I live in southern calfornia and it is the end of August so its been incredibly hot lately and apartment air conditioning is not the best, and I think it usually gets bad around this time, or at least I notice it the most at this time.). Messing around with settings doesn't help. Does this mean I should look for another TV? I don't know how much help Samsung support will be at this point.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

actionjackson posted:

for me it's also about how much attention I want drawn to it. i have other areas of my space I really like to highlight.

this is 65" which seems completely insane for the space

This TV looks correct for the space and balances nicely against the size of the console and the speakers.

I would mount it on the wall about a foot above the console. That would probably look very nice.

Edit: you could honestly go up to 77 if you wall mounted it and it would still look fine.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 31, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KillHour posted:

Edit: you could honestly go up to 77 if you wall mounted it and it would still look fine.

Heed this smart advice, so every time you sit down on the couch in about 6 months, you won't be like, "wow why did I buy such a small tv?"

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Heed this smart advice, so every time you sit down on the couch in about 6 months, you won't be like, "wow why did I buy such a small tv?"

It's disgusting how quickly even a 77" screen gets normalized, and then the thoughts of going even bigger start to creep in.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Enos Cabell posted:

It's disgusting how quickly even a 77" screen gets normalized, and then the thoughts of going even bigger start to creep in.

I have a 120" projector set up and even I catch myself thinking about whether I should have gone with the 150"...

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I wish my modest little living room could accommodate more than a damned 65".

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

It's pretty easy to remaster most US TV as the bulk of it was shot on film. It's only when special effects get into the mix that things get a little more difficult.

I love when I'm watching Friends and the Phoebe/Ursula shots come on screen.

Totally resolution whiplash

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

codo27 posted:

I wish my modest little living room could accommodate more than a damned 65".

Same, but for 55''. The format of our room means the TV has to go in a corner between a chimney and a window. While I think I technically COULD fit a 65" there, it might literally be scraping the walls.

Oh well, maybe next time...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah our last house, the living room was in a corner of the house with doors on either side, the largest wall was mostly a fire place (old school pre-TV east coast house) and 65" just barely fit above the mantle, plus we had to mount the whole thing way above eye level to the point you kind of had to scooch down on the couch to avoid a crick in your neck. We thought about making the dining room the TV room (better layout, no fire place) but the house was very opinionated on what room served which function

In a "modern" (1970s) house that same TV looks average to slightly undersized though

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BonoMan posted:

I love when I'm watching Friends and the Phoebe/Ursula shots come on screen.

Totally resolution whiplash

There’s also plenty of ‘in focus… enough’ shots. poo poo you’d never see on a 20” TV over analog.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EL BROMANCE posted:

There’s also plenty of ‘in focus… enough’ shots. poo poo you’d never see on a 20” TV over analog.
I recall when the HD transition happened reading that a lot of live and live-to-tape TV shows like news and game shows had to significantly rework their processes around anything visual because shortcuts they had been used to using for years which got lost in the blur in SD was clearly visible at in HD. Makeup, lighting, set design, etc. I haven't noticed focus issues personally but it certainly seems plausible that they used to be able to get away with a bit more there too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

A lot of the changes for the TNG remaster can fall under the category of there not being enough resolution in SD to bother with the detail.

https://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/observations/tng-r-changes.htm

Many things were errors in production, but they were probably deemed small enough to not be easily seen so it wasn’t worth derailing tight production to fix at the time.

Also, a few of the things they had to digital erase (like the flower pot in “Arsenal of Freedom”) were probably unseen in the original broadcast due to overscan.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 31, 2023

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So I got a TCL 6 series, and I notice a bit of blur around text, especially when I'm running something thats just plain white on black, like playing music through my receiver. What would be the first thing you'd look at in that case? I have replaced the HDMI cable, not as a troubleshooting step though.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

codo27 posted:

So I got a TCL 6 series, and I notice a bit of blur around text, especially when I'm running something thats just plain white on black, like playing music through my receiver. What would be the first thing you'd look at in that case? I have replaced the HDMI cable, not as a troubleshooting step though.

The TCL 6 series uses a BGR subpixel layout, which causes fringing around text. There's not a lot you can do about it, but you can read more about it here.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Off topic but holy poo poo was Oppenheimer driving me nuts with this - especially seeing it in a proper IMAX theatre. I don’t know if it was a f/1.2 or something in the tight shot dialogue scenes but the focus was super shallow and kept moving around while catching on hands instead of faces. I loved the movie and I’m 100% sure it was intentional at that level but I couldn’t figure out why. I guess it beats a dutch angle…

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Off topic but holy poo poo was Oppenheimer driving me nuts with this - especially seeing it in a proper IMAX theatre. I don’t know if it was a f/1.2 or something in the tight shot dialogue scenes but the focus was super shallow and kept moving around while catching on hands instead of faces. I loved the movie and I’m 100% sure it was intentional at that level but I couldn’t figure out why. I guess it beats a dutch angle…

Never watch the movie Beyond the Black Rainbow. People won't shut up about its visuals but in reality it's shot by someone obsessed with razor thin focus margins who can't hit target very often and it drove me insane. It's a piece of poo poo movie too, although has a rabid fanbase, and I will take that to the grave.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

Never watch the movie Beyond the Black Rainbow. People won't shut up about its visuals but in reality it's shot by someone obsessed with razor thin focus margins who can't hit target very often and it drove me insane. It's a piece of poo poo movie too, although has a rabid fanbase, and I will take that to the grave.

That movie rules but because of the ~*vibes*~ and not because it's a technical filmmaking achievement. The director dialed it back a bit for Mandy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I was willing to give him a fresh slate for Mandy, but the night it came on The Last Drive In I was going through the most painful sickness of my life and boy that did not help. It was definitely a better film tho.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I love Cosmatos. But yeah his movies aren't for everyone.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

I'm looking for recommendations on a new TV to replace my ~8 year old Vizio, as I just bought a PS5 and would like to fully enjoy it.

Primary use case will be gaming, with some movie/tv viewing. It'd be nice to hook up my PC to it as well.

Size I'm looking for is 55".

Budget is flexible, but would prefer cheaper while still quality. I'd rather pay a couple hundred more, if there are noticeable improvements and/or likely lifespan increases.

Is the value-for-money list at the top of the OP what I should be looking at? Or are there other models I should be considering?

I started looking around and there are TOO MANY models. Please help.

Oryp fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 9, 2023

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

For maximum PS5 you're going to want something with good HDR and 120Hz VRR. If your budget can stretch to $1k I'd recommend an LG B2 OLED without hesitation. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-class-b2-series-oled-4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6501898.p?skuId=6501898

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Oryp posted:

I'm looking for recommendations on a new TV to replace my ~8 year old Vizio, as I just bought a PS5 and would like to fully enjoy it.

Primary use case will be gaming, with some movie/tv viewing. It'd be nice to hook up my PC to it as well.

Size I'm looking for is 55".

Budget is flexible, but would prefer cheaper while still quality. I'd rather pay a couple hundred more, if there are noticeable improvements and/or likely lifespan increases.

Is the value-for-money list at the top of the OP what I should be looking at? Or are there other models I should be considering?

I started looking around and there are TOO MANY models. Please help.

LG B3/C3 or B2/C2 (last year's model) would be my choice gaming TV. It has all the features you would want/need.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Thirding the recommendation for the LG B3 or C3. We’re headed into discount season and I wouldn’t be surprised if you could snag a 55” C3 for around $1000 this year. The extra brightness over the B3 is probably worth the premium, though both are great.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Excellent, thank you all! I'll start keeping an eye out for a good price on one of those models.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
https://apple.news/AQg2jHlwTQOiE8QSu4CCCqA

quote:

Dear Hisense, TCL, Sony and Samsung, please stop making 100-inch TVs

Big TVs are making me feel inadequate and it needs to stop

:imunfunny:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for reminding me to check on micro-led TVs. Samsung has a 110" 4K and it's only $150000. Three year warranty!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Hey gang, I've got a pair of smallish Edifier speakers that I've been using at my PC for a while. Moving into a new place, where I think they'll be a better fit for the living room setup. I have an Apple TV going into a Samsung TV which has no aux out - just optical. My question is it better to split off the audio signal before or after it gets to the TV - so should I get an HDMI audio splitter, or an optical audio to RCA converter? Or are both likely to work about the same?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

When you start getting that big at 4K does it affect clarity? I'm not sure what the DPI would end up being.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

A Proper Uppercut posted:

When you start getting that big at 4K does it affect clarity? I'm not sure what the DPI would end up being.
Not sure about clarity, but I suspect (though I can't prove) that pushing more pixels at high inches like 65+ causes some amount of input lag in games.

I can't stand playing rocket league on; PS4,
Switch or Steam Deck in (docked mode)
Versus my PC on a monitor it seems like there is like 300-500 millisecond difference in responsiveness (yes I was in game mode) tested on several tvs.

It was real bad on my brother in law's tv that's gotta be like 80 inches.

A smaller screen but much older TV has the same problem as well.

I suppose I could test this with my top of the line gaming monitor and get to the bottom of this someday.

I don't think I've tried it on my new C2 yet either. Hopefully the last 3 years of tvs are getting more gaming friendly as well, now that console people are finally learning about fps and input lag.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Not sure about clarity, but I suspect (though I can't prove) that pushing more pixels at high inches like 65+ causes some amount of input lag in games.

Versus my PC on a monitor it seems like there is like 300-500 millisecond difference in responsiveness (yes I was in game mode) tested on several tvs.

I suppose I could test this with my top of the line gaming monitor and get to the bottom of this someday.

I don't think I've tried it on my new C2 yet either. Hopefully the last 3 years of tvs are getting more gaming friendly as well, now that console people are finally learning about fps and input lag.
The physical size of the TV has nothing to do with it. Pushing more pixels of course does generally mean a lower framerate from the source but it'll be the same regardless of whether those pixels are going to a 13" laptop or an 80+" TV. As long as the display technology and controller remain consistent input lag tends to be comparable across an entire product line regardless of size. A 42" LG C3 performs the same as an 83" LG C3.

Also modern TVs with game modes are usually below one frame of input lag, which means less than 16.6ms in 60Hz mode and less than 8.3ms in 120Hz. Even outside of game mode with all standard processing enabled the general range is 100-150ms. 300-500 would be unusable for most gaming and even annoying for TV/movies.

If you're getting that bad of input lag, even from devices like Steam Deck or PS4 that are definitely not designed for or good at 4K, something is wrong with your setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

What you're describing is probably because those TVs weren't set to Game mode. There's a bunch of processing poo poo turned on when watching video content that gets disabled in Game mode so that you don't get giant latency issues like you described. Your C2 should have no issues (my tv is a C1, no issues).