Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

How dated is Jung at this point? I know he was influential in his time, but then again he was one of Freud's contemporaries and look where he got us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

How dated is Jung at this point? I know he was influential in his time, but then again he was one of Freud's contemporaries and look where he got us.

He's an influential thinker for modern psychologists but most of his ideas are not testable.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I'm glad the social sciences exist, but I don't get how they let these zombie research programs keep shuffling along well past their use-by date. Like, in chemistry we don't have people getting PhDs in Arrhenian or Kelvinite chemistry or whatever the gently caress, we took their theories as far as they could go and then threw them in the trash when they broke. But psychology and (to bring it back on topic) economics seem to have these weird cults of personality that keep trucking even when better models get developed.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Goon Danton posted:

I'm glad the social sciences exist, but I don't get how they let these zombie research programs keep shuffling along well past their use-by date. Like, in chemistry we don't have people getting PhDs in Arrhenian or Kelvinite chemistry or whatever the gently caress, we took their theories as far as they could go and then threw them in the trash when they broke. But psychology and (to bring it back on topic) economics seem to have these weird cults of personality that keep trucking even when better models get developed.

I would say a big part of it is just that the social sciences aren't a focus for a lot of institutions, so they try not to rock the boat out of fear they'll lose even more funding.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

:ancap: Actually modern chemistry is a fraud because it violates Aristotle's Law of Identity

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

"Aristotle can eat my rear end" should be the first chapter in every modern science textbook

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I was gonna ask in the Jordy Pete thread, what Freud and Jung actually mean to a professional psychologist today. Like as far as I know, medical doctors don't give a poo poo about Galen from a practical point of view.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Halloween Jack posted:

I was gonna ask in the Jordy Pete thread, what Freud and Jung actually mean to a professional psychologist today. Like as far as I know, medical doctors don't give a poo poo about Galen from a practical point of view.

Well, a bunch of your patients are going to believe one or both are real and if you're going to treat them you're going to need to work around those sorts of beliefs for one. Even if you're not one who's doing active treatments of patients, your study would need to consider those topics when they come up.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Goon Danton posted:

Let me tell you about the flat earth, hold on while I park my perpetual motion machine

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

My university email got newsletters from a perpetual motion advocate for a while. They stopped last year, I guess he couldn't keep it going forever.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Booooo get off the stage boooooooo

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Goon Danton posted:

My university email got newsletters from a perpetual motion advocate for a while. They stopped last year, I guess he couldn't keep it going forever.

Try this One Weird Trick for infinite free energy! Experts in Thermodynamics hate this suburban mom who solved perpetual motion!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

paragon1 posted:

Booooo get off the stage boooooooo

i liked it

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Me too this is how I show approval

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I think social scientists have to deal with programs teaching and advocating dumb busted bullshit because there's political money in it. The money in advocating crap in the physical sciences are more in it for the apolitical grift.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Goon Danton posted:

You can predict how individual atoms will act with the right math. Physical science follows hard rules that tend to not break down. That's useful because if you understand those rules you can control that stuff.

There are people that want to control people the same way so they fund looking for the rules. That isn't always terrible. You start to see things like the fact that crowds behave like fluids so if you put escape valves on the crowd you don't get people getting crushed to death because the crowd has nowhere to go and the pressure built up too high.

What economists want to find is accurate predictions in the economy so the game can be rigged. Of course the same people that want to rig the game hate regulations because those usually get out into place because somebody found a way to rig the game.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Goon Danton posted:

Austrian Economics is funded by billionaires wanting someone to come up with forestloads of theory to justify being greedy. Literally in the case of the Koch brothers and the GMU Econ department.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Oh, I get it in the case of econ, there are lots of financial incentives to build up a pet economic theory. But I doubt there's a billionaire funding Jungian psych research, you know?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The CIA funded Gloria Steinem and the Iowa Writers' Workshop, so who knows

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
I remember the day early on in grad school when advisor told me that with a lot of hard work and luck, I might one day find my research underwritten and my views promoted by shadowy organizations with sinister agendas. Oh, to dream.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I remember the day early on in grad school when advisor told me that with a lot of hard work and luck, I might one day find my research underwritten and my views promoted by shadowy organizations with sinister agendas. Oh, to dream.

Heh, it took that long? My department's building is named for an oil company. There's a big ol plaque in the front lobby dedicated to a different oil company. Shoulda gotten a STEM degree if you wanted to get hired by an evil organization :smug:

:negative:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
There's always some demand for social research, it's just not as profitable because if you massage the numbers to be more like what your benefactor wants, they won't call you back when it fucks up their propaganda campaign.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Keeshhound posted:

There's always some demand for social research, it's just not as profitable because if you massage the numbers to be more like what your benefactor wants, they won't call you back when it fucks up their propaganda campaign.

It doesn't help that my work to date has been critical of the creation of nationally redemptive postwar mythologies focusing on veterans and especially POWs/MIAs. Ain't never getting an evil billionaire underwriting that poo poo. :smith:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Goon Danton posted:

It's harder to conclusively falsify things in a bunch of the social sciences, or even to do really good theoretical development work, when compared with "hard" stuff. Pressure is hard to measure and quantify, but it's easier to work with than "depression" or "propensity for sharing rumors". The overarching standard of statistics and methods training, while improving, is still quite poor in many areas. Sources of funding and lay coverage often flow toward pseudoscience that offers easy explanations and support popular beliefs. And all the petty corruptions and social forces that mess with all of academia.

All of these issues also are compounding over time- if there were a slight gap in rigor and coherence between social and physical in, say, the forties, that gap would have a tendency to widen itself over the decades that followed. And of course, lack of funding looms over it all.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 25, 2018

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Discendo Vox posted:

It's harder to conclusively falsify things in a bunch of the social sciences, or even to do really good theoretical development work, when compared with "hard" stuff. Pressure is hard to measure and quantify, but it's easier to work with than "depression" or "propensity for sharing rumors". The overarching standard of statistics and methods training, while improving, is still quite poor in many areas. Sources of funding and lay coverage often flow toward pseudoscience that offers easy explanations and support popular beliefs. And all the petty corruptions and social forces that mess with all of academia.

It'd be a lot easier if they'd just let us run double blind studies on groups of orphans, though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Keeshhound posted:

It'd be a lot easier if they'd just let us run double blind studies on groups of orphans, though.

Orphans make terrible research participants- there's a lot of variance within the group, and they don't map well to applications in a general population. Now, what I propose is a series of large underground vaults...

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
When I said black people are genetically inferior people immediately pointed out I'm factually wrong and am in fact a racist, but now I say black "culture" (wink wink) is inferior, and suddenly it's a daring revolutionary new idea the Mainstream is just too afraid to engage with.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

All of these issues also are compounding over time- if there were a slight gap in rigor and coherence between social and physical in, say, the forties, that gap would have a tendency to widen itself over the decades that followed. And of course, lack of funding looms over it all.

Again, there's "relative differences in rigor" and then there's "jungians running around yelling about dragons."

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
https://twitter.com/C_C_Gill/status/1000351536063696896

brain genius discovers most journalists have "arts degrees"

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Polygynous posted:

https://twitter.com/C_C_Gill/status/1000351536063696896

brain genius discovers most journalists have "arts degrees"

also has a metric arseload of actual scientists in her mentions linking their commentary on Peterson's inanity

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug
Well, what's the r? You'd think someone with a BS in psych (with honors!) could calculate a correlation coefficient.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
Lmbo at calling J Pee's drivel 'scientific theories" while trying to say the people criticizing him don't understand science well enough. Just lmbo

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Jung and Freud were mostly covered in terms of history of thought of various subjects -personality, sexuality, etc - in my grad program in psychology. That's also where they show up on our licensing boards.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

WrenP-Complete posted:

Jung and Freud were mostly covered in terms of history of thought of various subjects -personality, sexuality, etc - in my grad program in psychology. That's also where they show up on our licensing boards.

Which was the King of Order, and which the Dragon of Chaos?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Also which one was the one that always told the truth and which one always lied? That was a bastard of a dungeon to escape from

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Weatherman posted:

Also which one was the one that always told the truth and which one always lied? That was a bastard of a dungeon to escape from

I think that was Jung and Freud respectively, though you can never be sure since neither's theories are falsifiable!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
OH NO who could have predicted this

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1000560049389907969

https://twitter.com/isi_kbreen/status/1000595885099806720

https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/1000667636500492289

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Lol now his girlfriend is going to have to come out in support of antisemitism and lose half her fans.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I thought he meant powerful people like himself already owned the press and then I see those replies and of course it's racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just as a quick thing but where does the title quote actually come from. People aren't actually loving watermelons are they?