Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

MrAptronym posted:

Having mostly in game directions towards goals and not being able to just warp to the nearest point to your destination every time you have a quest also encourages you to poke around and stop by things. Exploration in Morrowind feels a lot more like exploring than in Oblivion/skyrim.

While true walking back and forth across morrowind got loving tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

ToxicSlurpee posted:

True, but I feel like the mass transit system in that game is a pretty good compromise. If only the walking speed wasn't a choice between "crawling but you consume fatigue thereby making everything you do worse" and "loving glacial".

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Glagha posted:

True, but I feel like the mass transit system in that game is a pretty good compromise. If only the walking speed wasn't a choice between "crawling but you consume fatigue thereby making everything you do worse" and "loving glacial".

There's the choice of getting boots of blinding speed

also mods

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Flinger posted:

There's the choice of getting boots of blinding speed

also mods

Or learning to jump incredibly high and far.

Edit: remember about the landing.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Just snort all the skooma and literally fly faster than the game can load.

Definitely need mods so you don't just die.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08I4UCKsA8E

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Glagha posted:

They also give you a plot justified opportunity to actually do open world stuff by not constantly dropping urgent "Chosen one! Run off to Important Place and do Important Thing RIGHT NOW to save the world!" quests on you and instead straight up telling you "hey, go do something for a while and establish yourself I gotta look into this thing."
I've been playing God of War, and it does this too, and even has Atreus tell you when it's a good time to go exploring between plot missions.

Another nice touch is that all the little incidental dialogue (with shopkeepers, telling Atreus to do something) changes based on the context of the story. Like at one point Atreus starts acting like a little brat, and every time you send him to decode a rune or shoot an arrow, instead of his usual excited response he just gives this bored "Whatever". During that time he also stops following your orders during combat and does his own thing instead, which I thought was a nice combination of mechanics and characterization. If you're like me and really dependent on him in fights by that point, it sells the "My son is out of control" thing better than a cutscene by actually affecting your gameplay. (Not a big spoiler, but covering it because it was a neat little bit when I got to that part.)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Lord Hydronium posted:

I've been playing God of War, and it does this too, and even has Atreus tell you when it's a good time to go exploring between plot missions.

My favourite was (uh, two-thirds of the way through spoilers I guess)after you told him you're gods, and he says, essentially, "What do you want to do now?". Kratos's response is perfect, because he says "I'll show you." He doesn't say he wants to get stronger, he doesn't say he wants to do <next plot thing>, by saying that, he's giving 100% control up to the player, and no matter what the player does, it's what Kratos meant.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Look at its legs! They twitch in mid-air!

Morpheus posted:

Dark Messiah is probably the only game I've ever played multiple times just to experience all the classes, and not for trophies or whatever.

Playing as a thief was so satisfying in that game, being able to take down an entire room of enemies from the shadows with backstabs

If they re-made it with upgraded textures n stuff I'd probably play the hell out of it again.

Definitely this, except I always wind up playing a fighter because the swordplay feels so good. Combat consists of finding a direction to boot your enemies, and, failing that, stabbing them. The only game that came close to having a kick this good was Bulletstorm.

One day I'll play a mage.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Morpheus posted:

My favourite was (uh, two-thirds of the way through spoilers I guess)after you told him you're gods, and he says, essentially, "What do you want to do now?". Kratos's response is perfect, because he says "I'll show you." He doesn't say he wants to get stronger, he doesn't say he wants to do <next plot thing>, by saying that, he's giving 100% control up to the player, and no matter what the player does, it's what Kratos meant.

My favorite was the challenge rooms, where Atreus will either be excited about more fighting or whine about having to do them over and over and Kratos will say something about learning from failure or just order him to do it again as practice.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah, due to the huge amount of travel time and lack of markers I never really felt like I was ever doing a quest so much as I was just checking off a dozen quest log boxes every time I wandered into a town after stumbling through the wilderness and incidentally collecting a bunch of quest items in the process. Especially when Morrowind's entire quest structure is always just go here/kill this guy/collect this item and then return to the quest giver for a reward.

That's probably why its not uncommon for people to have put triple digit hours into Morrowind over the years and never actually finish the main quest.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, due to the huge amount of travel time and lack of markers I never really felt like I was ever doing a quest so much as I was just checking off a dozen quest log boxes every time I wandered into a town after stumbling through the wilderness and incidentally collecting a bunch of quest items in the process. Especially when Morrowind's entire quest structure is always just go here/kill this guy/collect this item and then return to the quest giver for a reward.

That's probably why its not uncommon for people to have put triple digit hours into Morrowind over the years and never actually finish the main quest.

The other side of that is there's so much to do and see most people got distracted away from the main quest. Granted some of the directions to main quest places were terrible. I'd get lost then just go do other poo poo until just looking up online where the damned cave is.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

OutOfPrint posted:

I've been playing Chronicon lately. It's a Diablo clone that has been in early access for years, but is continually updated by what I think is a one man team.

This looks really neat, thanks for the tip.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

haveblue posted:

I knew it would be Chromehounds, that was such a good idea ruined by such a bad execution.

I loved the gently caress out of chromehounds for the like, 2 months anyone played it online. It had voice chat with your team but only if you were in areas with coverage, either via someone fitting a special type of mod to your mech and/or by capturing radio towers.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Lord Hydronium posted:

Another nice touch is that all the little incidental dialogue (with shopkeepers, telling Atreus to do something) changes based on the context of the story. Like at one point Atreus starts acting like a little brat, and every time you send him to decode a rune or shoot an arrow, instead of his usual excited response he just gives this bored "Whatever".

I loved this in Horizon Zero Dawn as well. As the plot progresses, all the random NPC dialog changes to match the current place in the storyline. The sheer amount of work that went into the little details in HZD (and apparently GOW, which I havent played) is awesome.

Speaking of little things in HZD, I love the post-post apocalyptic setting. Like, your looking at something and your trying to remember what it could have been 1000 years ago and your like "oh gently caress, it was a satellite dish" or something.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

I loved the gently caress out of chromehounds for the like, 2 months anyone played it online. It had voice chat with your team but only if you were in areas with coverage, either via someone fitting a special type of mod to your mech and/or by capturing radio towers.

Now that From Software is super popular from the Souls games I would love for them to try and revisit the concept now that they have a larger enough audience to sustain an online community and people have accepted that their games can be difficult and require a lot of player involvement to really get the most from them.

Like, I remember at launch the critical and popular reception to Chromehounds was basically "Wow this game is actually really innovative and deep, I can't wait...AAAAAND IT'S DEAD"

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Lord Hydronium posted:

Another nice touch is that all the little incidental dialogue (with shopkeepers, telling Atreus to do something) changes based on the context of the story. Like at one point Atreus starts acting like a little brat, and every time you send him to decode a rune or shoot an arrow, instead of his usual excited response he just gives this bored "Whatever". During that time he also stops following your orders during combat and does his own thing instead, which I thought was a nice combination of mechanics and characterization. If you're like me and really dependent on him in fights by that point, it sells the "My son is out of control" thing better than a cutscene by actually affecting your gameplay. (Not a big spoiler, but covering it because it was a neat little bit when I got to that part.)

I finally got around to lighting all of the big braziers around the lake (you can't do the last one until nearly the end of the story) and the reward for it was a gem that reduces damage taken from valkyries, all of which I had unfortunately already beaten.

Atreus said "I bet this would've been useful when we were fighting the valkyrie queen." :v:

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Lechtansi posted:

I loved this in Horizon Zero Dawn as well. As the plot progresses, all the random NPC dialog changes to match the current place in the storyline. The sheer amount of work that went into the little details in HZD (and apparently GOW, which I havent played) is awesome.

Speaking of little things in HZD, I love the post-post apocalyptic setting. Like, your looking at something and your trying to remember what it could have been 1000 years ago and your like "oh gently caress, it was a satellite dish" or something.

NPC's reflecting on the state of the plot is great but incredibly stupid if anything goes wrong with it. I remember playing the prequel DLC to Shadow of Mordor and while stalking a bunch of orcs I heard them chatting about the 'recent' death of the Tower of Sauron, something that was thousands of years away in the main story.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Jeza posted:

Pretty sure I've posted it before, but everything in Dark Messiah. If Skyrim had even a fraction of the fun of this game's combat, it'd actually be a good game. gently caress I might just replay it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7T9tJiw6AU

Destructible environments and environmental kills are always, always fun. Devs really need to let players directly interact with the world like that more often.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Remember when Bethesda bought Arkane and everyone was excited because we thought Skyrim would have Dark Messiah combat

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Remember when Bethesda bought Arkane and everyone was excited because we thought Skyrim would have Dark Messiah combat

If they were willing to talk to id to make Fallout 4's shooting tolerable maybe they can just... let Arkane take the elder scrolls?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been playing Deadfall Adventures, based very loosely on the books about Allan Quartermaine (King Solomon's Mines et al.) and I like the collectibles because they are all puzzles that you need to solve/traps to traverse that are often fairly unique even if they are somewhat simple sometimes. Some are annoying to do and one of them I'll have to go back for as a prop that I needed may have gotten destroyed or just not spawned at all, but for the most part they have largely been fun and interesting.

Also the minecart section is amazingly over the top.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Biggest blueball of my entire life. Somebody bigged it up to me beforehand, that they were doing the combat, that there'd be a kick. Still hurts man.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Dishonored is basically dark messiah but better.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Dishonored does not have a kick button nor any of the environmental kill stuff that Dark Messiah has. :colbert:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Can you do this in Dark messiah? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXWYbHfjrj4 1 nil to Dishonoured.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Can you do this in Dark messiah? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXWYbHfjrj4 1 nil to Dishonoured.

I don't get it, but I liked The New Colossus and could never get into Dishonored so maybe my brain is broken.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It's not a very well regarded game so I didn't post about it but Mirror's Edge: Catalyst has some great kicking. You can do the usual boot to the face, but you can also side kick and that breaks people's guards and opens them up for a combo but it's even better than you can kick people on each other and they both begin fumbling. There's also kicking them over ledges, dropping down and stomping, and pulling someone, dodging and then kicking their backs.

Overall a fine game for some good foot-to-face action.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I don't get it, but I liked The New Colossus and could never get into Dishonored so maybe my brain is broken.

What the hell

How do I delete someone else's post?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Samuringa posted:

It's not a very well regarded game so I didn't post about it but Mirror's Edge: Catalyst has some great kicking. You can do the usual boot to the face, but you can also side kick and that breaks people's guards and opens them up for a combo but it's even better than you can kick people on each other and they both begin fumbling. There's also kicking them over ledges, dropping down and stomping, and pulling someone, dodging and then kicking their backs.

Overall a fine game for some good foot-to-face action.

Both Mirror's Edge games were absolutely great for that feeling of running around and kicking/sliding into things.

Inzombiac posted:

What the hell

How do I delete someone else's post?
I tried playing Dishonored twice. Both times I got to the Hound Pits pub and it was really boring and same-y, so I dropped it. The first time I also had Deus Ex: HR to play so I just jumped straight into that instead. The second time around I think I was really into Kerbal Space Program or maybe Bioshock Infinite so, again, I dropped it. Dishonored was also dripping with edgelord poo poo online, with xbox avatars all having that dumb mask and people choosing Corvo's logo as their profile pics. Kind of made me distance myself from it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

PYF petty arguments about others' opinions of games

content: I like it in video games when NPCs can, and do, walk over to a chair and then sit in the chair.

Sure, this is part of a very limited set of animations that usually have them get back up and walk mutely up to a blank spot on the wall for a short period of time, pivot, then walk up to a different wall and face it at a 45 degree angle, but I see what you did there game, and I appreciate it.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Both Mirror's Edge games were absolutely great for that feeling of running around and kicking/sliding into things.

I tried playing Dishonored twice. Both times I got to the Hound Pits pub and it was really boring and same-y, so I dropped it. The first time I also had Deus Ex: HR to play so I just jumped straight into that instead. The second time around I think I was really into Kerbal Space Program or maybe Bioshock Infinite so, again, I dropped it. Dishonored was also dripping with edgelord poo poo online, with xbox avatars all having that dumb mask and people choosing Corvo's logo as their profile pics. Kind of made me distance myself from it.

Dishonored is really good,fantastic setting (although in a perfect world it would just literally be set in victorian london and everyone would be english)

Great graphics,great weapons,unbelievable powers and great voice acting,and One of the best DLC i've ever played.

I'd highly recommend giving it a go,it's not as edgelord as the cover might scream.

I've never played Halo,Assassins creed or Call of duty.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Hound Pits is the point at which your superpowers unlock, so it's worth pushing through to the mission after that at least.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Dishonored is really good,fantastic setting (although in a perfect world it would just literally be set in victorian london and everyone would be english)

Great graphics,great weapons,unbelievable powers and great voice acting,and One of the best DLC i've ever played.

I'd highly recommend giving it a go,it's not as edgelord as the cover might scream.

I've never played Halo,Assassins creed or Call of duty.

Who would have though Michael Madson was a bad rear end voice actor. He loving killed it as Doud.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

doctorfrog posted:

PYF petty arguments about others' opinions of games

content: I like it in video games when NPCs can, and do, walk over to a chair and then sit in the chair.

Sure, this is part of a very limited set of animations that usually have them get back up and walk mutely up to a blank spot on the wall for a short period of time, pivot, then walk up to a different wall and face it at a 45 degree angle, but I see what you did there game, and I appreciate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7LHIiSC9h0

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dishonored 1 felt sluggish on account that you go to the Hound's Pit Pub seven times. I wouldn't call it a hub because there aren't any real side-missions there, nor do you have a choice when it comes to main missions, so the whole thing feels like padding in what is a pretty short game. The game is also not helped by the voice-actors all being dulled on Antihistamines.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 01:24 on May 17, 2018

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

TontoCorazon posted:

Who would have though Michael Madson was a bad rear end voice actor. He loving killed it as Doud.

I really loved Daud's DLC,the short levels really suit the game better than long drawn out ones and being able to kill fuckers with no worry of morality was awesome.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

John Murdoch posted:

Dishonored does not have a kick button nor any of the environmental kill stuff that Dark Messiah has. :colbert:

Dying Light is basically Dark Messiah but with zombies. More games need a dedicated kick/dropkick button.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Oh hell yeah, trick kills in Dishonored rule

Spoilers for the final level:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf3PAK9tsmc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Petit Gregory posted:

Dying Light is basically Dark Messiah but with zombies. More games need a dedicated kick/dropkick button.

Holy poo poo I never made that connection.

Everyone should play Dying Light.
Zombie fatigue is real, I get it, but this game is SO much fun.