Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how Steven Universe would have turned out if it were a silver age comic book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

RandomPauI posted:

I wonder how Steven Universe would have turned out if it were a silver age comic book.

Oddly, exactly as gay.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

On the other hand before Season 1B got greenlit they were fully prepared to end the show on the semi cliffhanger that is Ocean Gem, so I imagine the opposite is just as true

I read their choice to go ahead with the move into the bigger stakes storyline even in the face of uncertainty about getting signed for the back half of season one and beyond as dedication to doing right by the story and the audience in the long run -- not playing it safe with a tidy bow on the half-season but moving ahead full-steam.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

chitoryu12 posted:

I can see it being much more like Gravity Falls, having a set story that they want to tell and coming to an end when it's done, with the possibility of spin-offs and expanded universe stuff to keep the franchise going afterward.

There's plenty of material for a spin-off focused entirely on Beach City. The bits of slice of life episodes we've gotten with Beach City residents have been lovely and I'd totally be down for an entire show of those sort of things.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I would watch an entire show centered on Buck and mayor Dewey. Just throw in background gags with *gem stuff* that Buck and the cool kids miss while trying to avoid their parents and I would be totally satisfied.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Well, I think that being renewed gives them freedom in terms of pacing. We've praised them for the time they took in developing Peridot as a protagonist, and I think that could have been expedited if they had been less certain about the number of episodes they had.

Meanwhile, I appreciate that Gravity Falls is ending the right way, but they wasted a huge amount of time on filler episodes that they really needed for end-game characterization, right down to the very end (where the filler episodes are often the worst so I don't get why they'd receive priority).

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Eela6 posted:

I would watch an entire show centered on Buck and mayor Dewey. Just throw in background gags with *gem stuff* that Buck and the cool kids miss while trying to avoid their parents and I would be totally satisfied.

Every other episode is Mayor Dewey riffing on an obscure long-dead Cartoon Network show with the help of Peridot and Amethyst.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

Every other episode is Mayor Dewey riffing on an obscure long-dead Cartoon Network show with the help of Peridot and Amethyst.

It'd certainly be an easy way to introduce a new generation to Bosko and Honey.

Edit: Just to be clear, that would be a horrible thing to do because I'm not sure if any of the Bosko cartoons weren't racist.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 17, 2016

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

Funky Valentine posted:

~If you're wondering how they eat and breathe
and other science facts
just repeat to yourself "they're all just rocks"
and should really just relax~

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Amythest T. Gem would work pretty well, I think. I'd prefer Peridot in the role of Dr. Forrester, with "TV's Greg".

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I think I like the Uncle Grandpa episode more every time I see it

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

JT Jag posted:

I think I like the Uncle Grandpa episode more every time I see it

I'm sorry.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

I'm sorry.
Listen if you can't appreciate Ridiculous Pearl Histrionics I don't know what to say to you

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I watched right up until "this episode isn't canon...but this is!" and he pulls a cannon out of his pants and I shut it off, knowing that it just wasn't meant for me.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

I watched right up until "this episode isn't canon...but this is!" and he pulls a cannon out of his pants and I shut it off, knowing that it just wasn't meant for me.

That's when I knew that it was.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Posting about other people having bad taste in the goddamn Steven Universe thread. What has my life become?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

That's when I knew that it was.

:getin: I loved the Uncle Grandpa episode when it first aired, and it's only gotten better over time, as the show's had a lot less flat-out Pearl craziness/general antics.

Lady Naga posted:

Posting about other people having bad taste in the goddamn Steven Universe thread. What has my life become?

Self-awareness is the first step on the road to recovery. :glomp:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The Uncle Grandpa episode is loving great.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The great parts of the Uncle Grandpa episode are the parts where Uncle Grandpa is not on screen.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

sirtommygunn posted:

The great parts of the Uncle Grandpa episode are the parts where Uncle Grandpa is not on screen.
Yep

This largely holds true for actual Uncle Grandpa episodes too

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
THAT'S NOT MY BABY

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I tried out two episodes of UG after that episode, that show was miserable

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

God Sworn to the Sword is so good

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Incorrect, not once does anybody swear at the sword. False advertising that got my hopes up.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
The answer is probably "no" but has anyone managed to get their Attack the Light iCloud save data to import into the Apple TV version of the game?? I know it worked when I went from iPhone to iPad.

I guess I could just finish on iPad.....

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't think Cartoon Network has shown any season 1 episodes in quite a while, have they?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

JT Jag posted:

God Sworn to the Sword is so good

It might be my favorite episode. Great character moments, a good song, and How to Talk to People is easily best joke in the entire show so far.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Lady Naga posted:

Incorrect, not once does anybody swear at the sword. False advertising that got my hopes up.

Let Pearl say "gently caress" :colbert:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Lady Naga posted:

I remember loads of swearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS_W8muKfC8

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Looking over the latest episode, I notice that "being careful" is now an official euphemism for fusing with Pearl.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I do not get youtube poops at all.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Bass Bottles posted:

The answer is probably "no" but has anyone managed to get their Attack the Light iCloud save data to import into the Apple TV version of the game?? I know it worked when I went from iPhone to iPad.

I guess I could just finish on iPad.....

My cheevos carried over, but no save data otherwise. Had to start a brand new game. As far as I can see they're two separate iCloud saves, since my iPhone and iPad are synced up. Which is fine, since I wanted to do a Diamond playhtrough anyway. The game is not kidding around on Diamond; you can't see the little timer hints for knowing when to hit for extra stars, and everything is harder in general. It plays great with a controller, though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
^ poo poo I didn't even know there were difficulty levels until now. Might have to give ATL another runthrough.

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't think Cartoon Network has shown any season 1 episodes in quite a while, have they?

By season 1 do you mean literally season 1, or the really early episodes? Because Reformed was on like just a minute ago when I was flipping through channels to see what was on (the answer is nothing. Nothing is on TV on a Sunday)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 18, 2016

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Macaluso posted:

They only work on King of the Hill and DiC Mario Bros. cartoons.

Isaiah Brofist
Jan 1, 2011
Hey, I did a mostly ska(?) cover of Steven/Peridot's song Peace and Love from It Could've Been Great https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRnZsFqxxeg since hiatuses are for copious amounts of lore/narrative/character discussion/speculation as well as fan art.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Macaluso posted:

It's Dada.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Macaluso posted:

I'm sorry you don't like good things.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Rudoku posted:

They only work on King of the Hill and DiC Mario Bros. cartoons.

I like Hell Universe's stuff, but I agree. (Then again Hell Universe doesn't really do the usual YTP stuff, so that's probably why it works.)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Zonekeeper posted:

I like Hell Universe's stuff, but I agree. (Then again Hell Universe doesn't really do the usual YTP stuff, so that's probably why it works.)
Hell Universe strikes the same visceral chord in me that Phoenix Wrong did for teenage me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Hahaha this is good, but I didn't really read your post before hitting play so a few elements kind of surprised me. Especially since it starts off like another Ukulele-esque cover.

• Locked thread