Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's really great to see how pumped people are for Black Panther, and how front and center the marketing is for it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
What's the remaining stone to be shown? Soul? Of course the black guy's got that one.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Chickenwalker posted:

What's the remaining stone to be shown? Soul? Of course the black guy's got that one.

yeah it's soul. considering the history of black panther literally involves multiple people's souls inhabiting one body as a major plot point (it's how black panther gets part of his powers and he frequently consults with the brotherhood of Black Panthers, which is basically a hall of his ancestors, for advice) it makes sense

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Man, the whole galaxy and three of them just naturally end up on Earth (then Loki brings a fourth). What are the odds?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chickenwalker posted:

Chadwick Boseman is a pretty good singer.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Just fought the king of moogles.

That was extremely charming for a scenario where I basically murder the god king of a bunch of adorable fairy tale monsters.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TFRazorsaw posted:

Just fought the king of moogles.

That was extremely charming for a scenario where I basically murder the god king of a bunch of adorable fairy tale monsters.

Final Fantasy XIV is my favorite Marvel movie

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Amazing Fantasy XV: Homecoming

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

fruit on the bottom posted:

Man, the whole galaxy and three of them just naturally end up on Earth (then Loki brings a fourth). What are the odds?

Infinity War is probably going to explain how they got there.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm kind of curious about how much the Infinity War trailer is leaving out. We have Stuff in New York, stuff in Wakanda, Stuff in Space and stuff where ever Vision and Wanda have run off to. We don't see a lot of crossovers between the characters though. Tony, Strange, and Wong aren't in Wakanda, but Banner is, and no one in Wakanda is in New York, again outside of Banner. But then I figure the same people are cutting the IW trailers as cut TLJ trailers, which revealed very little about what was going on in the movie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I saw the trailer for Infinity War again in the cinema yesterday, having not really rewatched it a lot since it came out. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in the movie but I feel a bit more :shrug: about the trailer. Have to say, though, the main Avengers theme music has grown on me with the passage of time.

That being said, it was better than the trailer for the next Jurassic Park movie, which looked pretty poor.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Was it Marvel or DC that made it canonical that a lot of catastrophic poo poo keeps happening on Earth because reasons

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hickman basically made it canon that earth ties the marvel multiverse together

E: but I'd bet he's not the first

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

DC made the Earth where all of their Earth-One stories happened (basically the "main" Earth, the one with all the main superheroes) basically the load-bearing Earth in which all the other Earths relied on to remain stable/exist. Like basically in the Orrery of Worlds there's an upside-down hourglass which contins all the universes, and Earth-One is the one at the very bottom - so if Earth-One is destroyed, then the universe is destroyed, which means all other universes in the multiverse are also destroyed as a result. This was pre-N52, mind you, but as far as I know it's still canon.

For Marvel I think it's brought up why exactly Earth-616 is constantly targeted by various demonic/alien/metaphysical/etc invasions, and it was explained as like, some universal force of attraction or something that called all sentient beings to it? I remember it being explained by something, somewhere, but I don't remember what.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I know earth was the center of the kree/skrull war for basically religious reasons.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

From what I remember from stats class, 3:1.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I don’t have an issue with it btw. It’s just a conceit you have to buy into but I think it’s funny

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wheat Loaf posted:

That being said, it was better than the trailer for the next Jurassic Park movie, which looked pretty poor.

The only trailer that looked worse than Jurassic 5 was Ready Player One.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

The trailer proclaiming that "cinematic game-changer Steven Spielberg" was going to bring to life "Ernest Cline's holy grail of pop culture" (there is not a :rolleyes: big enough on the Internet) was easily the biggest groaner of my trip to see The Last Jedi. I think seeing that up front went a long way to desensitising me to many of the issues with the movie itself. :v:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

twistedmentat posted:

I read this and seriously thought you meant a Jurassic 5 movie for a sec

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

twistedmentat posted:

I had to watch the Jumanji one before The Last Jedi and I can not understand how that got made or why someone would pay money to watch it.

At least RPO might make a goof Rifftrax someday.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

site posted:

I read this and seriously thought you meant a Jurassic 5 movie for a sec

That is why I phrased that.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The trailer proclaiming that "cinematic game-changer Steven Spielberg" was going to bring to life "Ernest Cline's holy grail of pop culture" (there is not a :rolleyes: big enough on the Internet) was easily the biggest groaner of my trip to see The Last Jedi. I think seeing that up front went a long way to desensitising me to many of the issues with the movie itself. :v:

It ruined World In My Eyes to me. I saw TLJ Friday and Saturday, so I got hit twice. Cline is a hack and the embodiment of white nerd privilidge; if a woman of colour write a book that was literally "hey remember the 80s?", no one had even thought about publishing it, let alone herald it as a masterpiece.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Samuringa posted:

I had to watch the Jumanji one before The Last Jedi and I can not understand how that got made

Sony needs something they can make a franchise out of now they don't have James Bond any more.

quote:

or why someone would pay money to watch it.

I imagine it'll be pretty big with kids.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I had a great time at Jumanji :shobon:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hear it's been getting pretty good write-ups.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
What's the issues with Cline/RP1? I don't know much about the movie other than a trailer full of licensed characters that were distracting. I know a lot of people like the book but I got irritated at the nonstop 80's references and explanations.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
The main issue is that the book is complete and utter garbage.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Imagine if there was a novelisation of TV Tropes.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Most of the complaints I've heard are basically "it's a book about how having nothing meaningful in your life except consuming the media people sell you and making that the basis of your identity is super cool."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Besides the godawful writing I've seen a lot of complaints about how the protagonist is an extremely creepy stalker towards the girl

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Yeah fair enough, it was pretty shallow. I didn't really like it all that much and felt like I must have been missing something with how other people were talking about it. I can see how the relationship with the protag and female lead would relate to a lot of people, not necessarily in a good way. Hopefully the movie tones that down and turns out as an entertaining spectacle at least.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rand Brittain posted:

Most of the complaints I've heard are basically "it's a book about how having nothing meaningful in your life except consuming the media people sell you and making that the basis of your identity is super cool."

Also the writing is phenomenally bad.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Either that trailer showed the whole movie, or there's one HELL of a second act. I'm holding out for Chris Pratt getting preserved in volcanic ash and being revived in the future as an exhibit at Millennial Park.

Edit: on the bright side, my TLJ viewing had a trailer for an animated Spider-man movie doing Miles and the spider-verse. CG animation like that always looks weird to me until my eyes have a chance to adjust, but cool beans.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 24, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samuringa posted:

Was it Marvel or DC that made it canonical that a lot of catastrophic poo poo keeps happening on Earth because reasons

One of DC’s eventual explanations was because it’s where the entity of White Lantern energy/Life is.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think it would be funny if it turned out that actually this poo poo happens to pretty much every civilized planet at about the same rate, or that maybe the Infinity stones subtly influence things because they want to be together.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think it would be funny if it turned out that actually this poo poo happens to pretty much every civilized planet at about the same rate, or that maybe the Infinity stones subtly influence things because they want to be together.

Thanos is just a slave to his appointment book. Never any time off, as soon as he fails to destroy one universe it's time to head off to the next one to go through the dance again. Really regrets that theater degree now; he thought he'd be pushing boundries of entertainment and expression, not running the same gig night after night.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

twistedmentat posted:

Joker, Mystique and Green Goblin are characters I never want to see again. I also am not hot on seeing Venom but that's more my disinterest in the character more than because he was poorly done already.

Though any future Spider-Man movies should keep the stakes low. Kraven would be great to see, but I think Spider-Man needs to be more famous before he shows up. So, Mysterio for next Spider-Man villain.

I agree with this, after the wonders they worked with Vulture of all people.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Come on stilt-Man.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/neilcic/status/888866630306082817

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
My girlfriend's response to the trailer was basically "gently caress the virtual world, I wanna know more about this junkyard trailer park"

• Locked thread