Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

New thread title:

I pay $250 in BTC every 3 months to mod in Ancapistan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The Michael Christopher guy at the end is a pretty good example of Poe's Law, I'm like 95% sure he's just loving with them but that other 5% is wondering...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Power of Pecota posted:

The Michael Christopher guy at the end is a pretty good example of Poe's Law, I'm like 95% sure he's just loving with them but that other 5% is wondering...
I wish he had said "I have to make sure to keep my modding under 20 hours a week lest I fall into a higher fee bracket".

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
I think this is really innovative, and it sounds like it could have all sorts of applications. Just think about all those people working unpaid internships and getting lots of valuable experience. For free! It's time for all those freeloaders to pony up.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Do we know what the Facebook group is?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Enos Cabell posted:

From the schadenfreude thread, one of the dumbest BWM things I've seen... paying $20/month for the privilege of modding a Facebook group.

Lowtax start a facebook group

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I think in all the absurdity of such a thing existing, we've glossed over a bit that the dude is so BWM he is 3 months behind on his $20 modding payment

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
This one guy once went from a facebook mod to making $40,000 A YEAR modding a game forum. So, you know. It can happen to you.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I make more than that at my day job banning people from the financial system

feller
Jul 5, 2006

congrats

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
"I used to be a low grade instagram celebrity for fancy weed bongs and poo poo and got connects"

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

FAUXTON posted:

I make more than that at my day job banning people from the financial system

Unless it's beyond $59,999 more, in which case, Guillotine

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanatosian posted:

Do we know what the Facebook group is?

“ur being really”

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

“ur being really”
I am... so, so old.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Lockback posted:

This one guy once went from a facebook mod to making $40,000 A YEAR modding a game forum. So, you know. It can happen to you.

Hold on, I've just got to tweak the graphics on level 3.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I’d pay $20 a month to be a mod and probate some of your asses.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

That is what Lowtax needs to sell. Start selling probations.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Xenocides posted:

That is what Lowtax needs to sell. Start selling probations.
Zaurg would never get to post again!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Personally I think it's a bad idea

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Personally I think it's a bad idea

no self posting, take a six

i'm glad we can't buy probations i'd go broke

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Krispy Wafer posted:

I’d take $90 an hour to be a dom and probe some of your asses.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Hoodwinker posted:

Zaurg would never get to post again!

$20 to probate someone and $100 to unprobate yourself. Zaurg has to sell his crypto to keep posting and we get to mock him for the $2000 he has to budget monthly so he can keep posting spreadsheets.

And Lowtax’s spine is paid for. There is no downside.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

PM me.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I'm so in the red I have to post-date the checks I write to lowtax.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xenocides posted:

$20 to probate someone and $100 to unprobate yourself. Zaurg has to sell his crypto to keep posting and we get to mock him for the $2000 he has to budget monthly so he can keep posting spreadsheets.

And Lowtax’s spine is paid for. There is no downside.
One 5 dollar probation per month, second within the same month costs 10, etc. Evading user bought probes with secondary accounts explicitly permitted.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

SpelledBackwards posted:

Hold on, I've just got to tweak the graphics on level 3.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Splicer posted:

One 5 dollar probation per month, second within the same month costs 10, etc. Evading user bought probes with secondary accounts explicitly permitted.

If I owned these forums I would absolutely let people buy endless $5 sixers, all day every day. And if someone abused it I would just ban them without warning.

I'd also reopen helldump.

I'd also probably try to immediately sell the forums since I probably don't really want to deal with owning this whole... operation.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Unless it's beyond $59,999 more, in which case, Guillotine

Dude the thread canon establishes the cutoff at $100k, this is well established.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Vox Nihili posted:

Dude the thread canon establishes the cutoff at $100k, this is well established.

What's 40 000 + 59 999

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lol I read out the "more" there, oops.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Paying monthly to do one of the most thankless jobs imaginable at the hopes of one day scoring a $40k/yr job that will undoubtedly make you want to tear your hair out, all while making GBS threads on a college education = the good poo poo

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Saw some tree law, this is the good stuff: https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/9rfvln/update_flneighborstenants_cutting_down_my/

Definitely worth reading the prior thread linked in the post.

quote:

According to the arborists (yes plural. though my friend came out and did an assessment, my attorney for the suit over the trees advised selecting someone who isn't so close to me for the paperwork we'll submit to the court), based on the number of trees cut down and the number of trees damaged beyond repair, and how old/well-tended those trees were, the value of the trees alone is more than i could sell all three houses for in the current housing market around here. Then the attorney started talking about how the damages are multiplied and let's just say I would be quite happy with half that number, but I know when to zip my lips so I'll let my attorneys handle the negotiating.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I made terrible financial decisions with my student loan money
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9rfqch/i_made_terrible_financial_decisions_with_my/

quote:

As the title says, I used my student loan money terribly.

For a bit of back story, my family has always struggled with spending money in the right places. Often times their hypocritical. It's a very "do as I say, not as I do" relationship. They spend huge amounts of money every month on cigarettes and soda. They buy scratch off tickets and generally have a: "why do I have to work my butt off and see none of the rewards" attitude.

My step father had a decent job at a manufacturing plant that had decent benefits. He eventually lost it because he happened to not take his bi-polar pill one morning. He asked his boss to go home to take the pill and his boss says no you're already late. My step dad then proceeds to fly off the handle and lose his job.

My mother had been getting screwed over by a in home health assistance contractor. She eventually quit.

They both didn't exactly care for some reason and decided to go on their vacation they had been planning anyways.

Fast forward to a month ago.

I'm in college full time and I've been struggling to help my parents keep us all afloat. I received my student loan money of around $1,700. Me and my parents agreed that I would pay $300 to them to help out with bills. I spent around $800 on things like clothes and a new laptop for school. I had $900 left.

I wanted to upgrade my phone as well, and I went to Verizon. I gave them $600 to cover my upgrade cost. For some reason related to device spending limits or something like that, I was unable to actually upgrade and the store rep told me I would receive a refund in 10 business days.

Fast forward to 10 business days later and I saw no refund for $600. I come to learn that the refund was denied and that my money was out towards paying off the rest of my Note 8. Suffice to say I was pissed. Prior to knowing I wasn't going to get a full refund, I spent the remaining money I had on other stuff.

I'm not going to say I was completely screwed by Verizon, I completely made a mistake by not saving my money and giving my parents the $300 right away.

But now we are all suffering because of my mistake. We currently have no internet, our phones are getting shut off as of tomorrow, we recently had to go back on food stamps and we have no gas to get me to school.

I feel so absolutely lovely and I've been beating myself up over the fact that could have prevented this. But I was impatient and wanted new poo poo.

I recognize my mistake now and how it's totally screwed me over.

I've been struggling to find any kind of work and the work study program I applied for hasn't given me anything as of yet.

I don't know what to do.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Get a job and not a new top of the line phone? I guess that is rocket science.

Also if Mom a home health aide she can easily get hired in most places for a new company. Or get her stna because here there is such a shortage they pay them daily along with bonuses.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Vox Nihili posted:

If I owned these forums I would absolutely let people buy endless $5 sixers, all day every day. And if someone abused it I would just ban them without warning.

I'd also reopen helldump.

I'd also probably try to immediately sell the forums since I probably don't really want to deal with owning this whole... operation.

I'd also reopen Helldump v2 v2: v3

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
BWM is retiring when your wife secretly ran up $100k (that he knows of) in CC debt "over 10 years" (yeah right)
https://www.reddit.com/r/relationship_advice/comments/9ri0yr/i_m61_just_found_out_my_wife_f51_ran_up_debt_on_6/

quote:

First time posting, need help on what I should do. I [M61) just found out my wife [F51] ran up debt on 6 credit cards that totals 103,000 dollars. I have just retired after 35 years of working as an Engineer and was unaware she was spending money out of control. Since retiring, I’m more involved with the budget and found these unexplained charges in our bank account. When confronted she only told me of 3 of the six that were lower debt totaling 20,000. I dug further into our finances and made her show me her accounts with monthly charges and found more, the total was 103,000. She broke down completely crying and begging me to forgive her. She is an RN but hasn’t worked for about 6 years. We have one son that recently graduated from high school, now attending 1st year of college. She was extremely involved with his school activities and functions, volunteering many hours, appearing as the perfect mom to the community. Still don’t know what she bought with all the money, but believe it was buying clothing and other junk for her and my son, but mostly her, over a 10 year period. I made about 160,000/year so don’t understand how she spent the income and generated this extreme debt. My current retirement income cannot cover these credit debts and I’m not willing to tap into my son’s college fund or 401k fund. She has committed to finding a job and paying off all the debt by herself, but I feel I have been completely betrayed and have loss my trust in her. I told her this is a game breaker for our marriage and now wondering if I should be seeing a lawyer. She says she loves me extremely and beg me not to leave and that she will fix this mistake herself and it’s her problem not mine. I feel she means it, but might be more concerned about finding out. Based on her personality she would be extremely embarrassed if people found out what she did. I made her call her parents and tell them what’s she had done. She respects them tremendously and has always been seen as the perfect mother that did no wrong. I still love her, and both of us, love our son and don’t want to split up. Need help on what to do any insights or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Harry posted:

BWM is retiring when your wife secretly ran up $100k (that he knows of) in CC debt "over 10 years" (yeah right)
https://www.reddit.com/r/relationship_advice/comments/9ri0yr/i_m61_just_found_out_my_wife_f51_ran_up_debt_on_6/

Clearly she's in the wrong, but I don't understand this:

guy posted:

I made her call her parents and tell them what’s she had done.

They seem too old for that.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

jjack229 posted:

Clearly she's in the wrong, but I don't understand this:

They seem too old for that.

Yeah what? She's 51. How did her parents react?

"SAY THAT AGAIN? WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU I'M SORRY"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Is there anything the credit card company can do if they just don't pay? I guess we don't know what his "retirement income" is but maybe that can be garnished?

Obviously his son isn't inheriting anything, but isn't avoiding garnishment the only actual reason to pay the debt at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

She's only 51, and an RN. Since they haven't been relying on her income for at least 6 years anyway, seems like she could get a job somewhere and pay it off pretty quick if she throws her entire paycheck at it??