Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

BLENDER AVOCADOCASTER parts caster project is complete.

Gotoh locking tuners. eBay maple neck. Fender noiseless pickups. Nitro paint.

Let's see if it grows on me (I'm betting no and I end up giving it away).

Good lookin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I think we ought to have a raffle if you can’t come around to it. I’d ante up, Carth Dookie.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea raffle it up for charity.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Just picked it up at a thrift but I found a Numark IDJ II and I'm trying to find something to use it with. I think it's probably a standard USB input and REAPER senses every button but won't light it up. So are there any VSTs or anything that can use it fully? I didn't want to get into dj software ATM.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
And a truly stupid purchase that goes in the project pile.

Ibanez/Maxon PUE5 multi-effects box. Compressor, distortion, delay, and chorus. Effects loop, AND noise reduction. It worked, but only if the power plug was jiggled in the right way. Sounds surprisingly nice.

Best demo I can find, skip to ~2:52 for why I bought it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NClC7SsCmjw

Anyway, pulled apart to look at the power jack, looked like cracked solder joint. No problem, get out the iron, reflow and add new, right? Yeah, no.

Ground pad completely broken off the board, as is the side lug that's supposed to hold the jack in place. DC-in looks okay, at least. Jack removed, reassembled everything and put it to the side while I plan my fix. Will probably involve epoxy and some jumper wires or a new hole in the back for a non-board mounted plug.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Nice! In lesser news, my cat likes this Numark toy and so do I. He was watching me spin the discs to see how REAPER responded, and he started spinning them too. And chewing on them.

Anyway, this is a better toy than I thought at first. I can use it in REAPER I think. Not sure what for yet. But the discs are very responsive and smooth, sending CC messages and note on and off when I start using it and also when I tap on them, the pan slider sends pan messages, the knobs send CC messages.

I don't fully comprehend CC messages. Are columns 4 and 5 anything I can use?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Been playing around with it some more, it appears the discs are really sensitive, I've been able to assign various knobs and buttons to various stuff in some VSTs, I'd say it's got real potential even without the dj software. Where possible these two discs will make great pitchbend wheel and so forth. Maybe the best 10$ I've spent all week.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

When do we get to hear your cats sick beats?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Numark makes some really cool toys but they don't allow secondhand purchasers to register their hardware, which is the total suck.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Thumposaurus posted:

When do we get to hear your cats sick beats?

As for teh cat, we may find time to "lay down some tracks" as you young people say.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Also, a pox on these guys for not making more Orbits. That was one of the best MIDI input devices ever created.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Ok, I'm done now. It appears I have a type.

Bass VI stock strings were floppy garbage as had been warned. Swapped them out for the usual La Bella flatwounds, I'd never touched any before, they're so drat smooth.

Captain Splendid fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 29, 2021

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Dust off your Guitar-inator, point it at an HH Tele, dime the “Offset” knob, and boom:

https://reverb.com/p/fender-alternate-reality-series-meteora-hh-offset-electric-guitar-2019

I love the look of that thing, I just need it to be a Squier CV or something so it doesn’t cost $1k.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I also have a type

Epiphone Wilshire in TV Silver, part of a run of 1000 made in 2013. TV Silver is basically just silver over a not-completely-grain-filled mahogany body with a thick clearcoat. Weighs about 5 pounds, like most Wilshires/Coronets/Olympics.

The others

Time to take a new group picture

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Not the actual device, which I have right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQHaY_BOXBo

And I bought it for the slicer mostly. A Boss slicer is like 400$ used and this pedal, which apparently improves on the original slicer but also has a buttload of reputedly good emulations of other effects, I got for 300$ used.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 1, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

widefault posted:

I also have a type

Epiphone Wilshire in TV Silver, part of a run of 1000 made in 2013. TV Silver is basically just silver over a not-completely-grain-filled mahogany body with a thick clearcoat. Weighs about 5 pounds, like most Wilshires/Coronets/Olympics.

The others

Time to take a new group picture

You've got nothing on the legendary Buck Dharma's guitar collection.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 1, 2021

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

petit choux posted:

You've got nothing on the legendary Buck Dharma's guitar collection.

Man, don't make me do a dump. I got Yngwie piles I'd need to untangle.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

widefault posted:

Man, don't make me do a dump. I got Yngwie piles I'd need to untangle.

hehehehehe he's got yngwie piles

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

petit choux posted:

hehehehehe he's got yngwie piles

Not to ignore the hemorrhoid joke, but I do currently have the Yngwie style guitars-on-guitars storage system.

I really need to finish cleaning out my spare room. That's only a fraction of the mess.

And because it's Friday, more junk!

For a future project

Squier WRHBs. Yeah, not real WRHBs but I like the sound and they fit the look I'm going for.

Aria Pro II STG series, two pickup HARDTAIL, one of the last made in Japan. Plywood body, but somehow weighs only 6 pounds. Needs a general cleanup and the wiring gone through. I will probably swap in a new 3 single coil pickguard. Awesome neck. Autographed! Thankfully those come off pretty easily.

Had one of these a while back, got a chance to sell and make a few bucks on it. Pawn Shop had this cheapish, and I had a 20% off coupon because I am a repeat customer and it was my birthday a week or two back.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I like the looks of that Aria but your guitar pile is too organized to compare to Yngwie

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I like the looks of that Aria but your guitar pile is too organized to compare to Yngwie

:hmmyes:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Okay I think you may have outdone Buck Dharma after all.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

petit choux posted:

Okay I think you may have outdone Buck Dharma after all.

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Saw them on the Black&Blue tour. Regardless of the entire coliseum being a giant cloud of smoke, I won't forget him playing that one.

I posted this in the wrong thread, maybe, but I'll do it here, I just got my new pedal board:

ED: the main drawback is how handy it is for other stuff once you've gotten it.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 3, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

petit choux posted:

I posted this in the wrong thread, maybe, but I'll do it here, I just got my new pedal board:

This is what post-shoegaze looks like.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BonHair posted:

LOL and I put a shelf underneath for drinks and an ashtray. I'm off to remix some Beach House later gator

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

BonHair posted:

At that height it’s more like kneegaze

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Helpless people in subway trains scream my god as he looks in on them

Not as good a joke but I really like that line.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

petit choux posted:

Saw them on the Black&Blue tour. Regardless of the entire coliseum being a giant cloud of smoke, I won't forget him playing that one.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

At that height it’s more like kneegaze

Yeah, I really like this idea but 20" high doesn't seem that much better than having it on the floor. Actually, kinda worse, since that would put it out of easy reach of both hands and feet. Unless you only ever play sitting?

But something like that at belly button height would be rad. Which I guess is basically just a folding table. Or a normal pedalboard set on top of a keyboard stand, maybe.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Lawen posted:

Yeah, I really like this idea but 20" high doesn't seem that much better than having it on the floor. Actually, kinda worse, since that would put it out of easy reach of both hands and feet. Unless you only ever play sitting?

But something like that at belly button height would be rad. Which I guess is basically just a folding table. Or a normal pedalboard set on top of a keyboard stand, maybe.

If you want it for a pedalboard you can chop the legs off. RN I'm using it as a table in my room, a la post shoegaze, as said above.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

And here's something I just got, a new case for my pocket operator. This guy is selling them crazy cheap on ebay, I think maybe they're nicer than the official ones. All the official merch is too gumball for the legit cool drum machine that this turned out to be.

https://i.imgur.com/bGpq2TR.mp4

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

petit choux posted:

If you want it for a pedalboard you can chop the legs off. RN I'm using it as a table in my room, a la post shoegaze, as said above.

Isn't Red Sovine the Teddy Bear guy? Nice. 😎

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Isn't Red Sovine the Teddy Bear guy? Nice. 😎

This isn't the thread where I usually show off my cool record collection but yeah, that is the original Realistic production, "Put The Hammer Down," featuring C.W. McCall performing "Convoy," a clarion call across the nation to 14-year-olds across the midwest that wanted to drive trucks and wear confederate hats, later also soundtrack to a movie starring Kris Kristofferson.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

petit choux posted:

This isn't the thread where I usually show off my cool record collection but yeah, that is the original Realistic production, "Put The Hammer Down," featuring C.W. McCall performing "Convoy," a clarion call across the nation to 14-year-olds across the midwest that wanted to drive trucks and wear confederate hats, later also soundtrack to a movie starring Kris Kristofferson.

That is very cool. I am very jealous. I love trucker records.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I shouldn't have done it, but I just purchased an EC-256 ($499) gloss black with gold hardware from Amazon Warehouse for $282. The warning was something like "Large cosmetic imperfections on body of the item. Item will come repackaged."

*bites nails*

I went back and saw the EC-256 black on black was down in the $275 range with the same dire warnings so I bought that too. God help me.

I figure I *do* want one of them, the other I will do a nice setup on with fresh strings and sell for the $280 or whatever it cost. I will update you gents, whether you like it or not.

duodenum fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 7, 2021

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Amazon's descriptions on stuff in the Warehouse are almost always way worse than reality.

The one on the left was $68 with a "good" and large imperfections, but when I got it there was one broken knob. One the right was $77, good, and "small" imperfections. Not a single mark I could find unless you counted the bad screen print from the factory. Sold one for about what I paid for both.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

duodenum posted:

I shouldn't have done it, but I just purchased an EC-256 ($499) gloss black with gold hardware from Amazon Warehouse for $282. The warning was something like "Large cosmetic imperfections on body of the item. Item will come repackaged."

*bites nails*

I went back and saw the EC-256 black on black was down in the $275 range with the same dire warnings so I bought that too. God help me.

I figure I *do* want one of them, the other I will do a nice setup on with fresh strings and sell for the $280 or whatever it cost. I will update you gents, whether you like it or not.

Amazon Warehouse wasn't somewhere on my radar to look for stuff. Any idea how the cheaper ESPs compare to Epiphone Les Pauls?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Bought a Boredbrain Patchulator.

It's really no different than a patch panel, functionally, but it's a lot more mobile and impermanent and fun to play around with. Makes it easy to experiment with pedal chain order and trying different configurations into the front of the amp vs in the FX loop. Same for using a pile of pedals as outboard FX in/out of my DAW. And if I keep going down the synth rabbit hole, it should have uses there, too.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Lawen posted:

Bought a Boredbrain Patchulator.

It's really no different than a patch panel, functionally, but it's a lot more mobile and impermanent and fun to play around with. Makes it easy to experiment with pedal chain order and trying different configurations into the front of the amp vs in the FX loop. Same for using a pile of pedals as outboard FX in/out of my DAW. And if I keep going down the synth rabbit hole, it should have uses there, too.

Reminds me of a certain VST by Jack Dark. Not really, just visually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

I've been wanting to try out a sitar or a shamisen, but they're not exactly plentiful here in Arizona. I did find this Danelectro sitar from Sweetwater, and I also found this guy selling shamisens out of California. Does anyone have any experience with either of these, or any advice about where I I should be looking?