Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
The trick with the first Advance Wars is that the AI priorities attacking APC units even if there are no infantry units inside them. So you can use them to trick the AI into attacking the APC instead of the unit that is capturing their HQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

This a trick, it's not drama, don't click.

I guess I will use this as an excuse to do a run of super hot. It's a remaster of a flash game, so it sorta fits the theme.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
I'm thinking of doing the XBLA port of Marathon 2, if I decide to go with the theme.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Lynx Winters posted:

I'm thinking of doing the XBLA port of Marathon 2, if I decide to go with the theme.

Bring a barf bag.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Nah, the port has a way better FOV than the old ones. The original versions were definitely hard to look at for too long, though.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Lynx Winters posted:

Nah, the port has a way better FOV than the old ones. The original versions were definitely hard to look at for too long, though.

They probably updated it or something since release, but every story about that port when it came out was how it made everyone sick.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Anyone speedrunning the new Hitman game? First game I'm getting into for speedrunning! I like runs that make no sense the first time you see them. Want to do a video series breaking down runs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3BJibwP3ts

They just announced pro mode for next week though, so I'll probably wait for that before trying to do more.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

wa27 posted:

They probably updated it or something since release, but every story about that port when it came out was how it made everyone sick.
They did update it shortly after release to add a FOV option which defaulted to a sane setting for non-maniacs.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Well, pretty much the only way to get a speedrun route off the ground is just to try and do it shittily and see what you can do better. Day 1 speedruns are always gonna look a bit poo poo and half-assed for this reason, but it's just what the start of the process looks like. No reason not to begin just because it's close to release and all that.

It's not about starting the speedrun I suppose, but it's more about when it begins.

I just feel like you have way more things you can do besides learning to speedrun a game on the first day it's released, like give it a loving chance to breathe.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dizz posted:

I just feel it goes in the same category as youtube LPers who do start LPs on a brand new game day 1 for obvious reasons.

In some cases with lpers, in particular the super best friends, they want to do an lp of a new game because they want to play the game themselves but also they want to do a "genuine" run of it as an lp on their channel. In sbf's case, the best example is that they did an lp of metal gear rising where both had played the game beforehand. This led to a kind of bad lp vs if they had gone in blind, they knew the hilarious bullshit happening beforehand and their reactions were fake as hell vs if it was blind, and there was a fairly negative reaction from viewers based on that. So it seems like they try to do blind runs ever since(or have the person on the controls be going in blind), but also stuff like resident evil 7 or persona 5 are games they want to play personally, so they just kill two birds with one stone by doing it as an lp at the same time.

That's obviously not how all lpers work, the more clickbaity ones just do it for m-m-m-maximum views

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

Dizz posted:

It's not about starting the speedrun I suppose, but it's more about when it begins.

I just feel like you have way more things you can do besides learning to speedrun a game on the first day it's released, like give it a loving chance to breathe.

yeah dude there's a million more productive things that you can do besides playing any videogame, speedrun or not.

to some people, some games are just boring to play slow and fun to play fast. there's no reason they should play the boring way instead of the fun way.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
this is only sort of speedrun related but like two years ago I won a contest for freedom planet speedrunning and I have only just now received the prize

a plastic, hollow, cheap feeling dead-eyed Lilac that broke in the mail and I had to glue to head back on with a reminder that I was good about 2 years ago but aren't anymore.

This is an extremely robust metaphor for my entire FP speedrunning career. You are all free to laugh at me.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
What if a game is made for speedrunning? How long should you wait to speedrun it?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

this is only sort of speedrun related but like two years ago I won a contest for freedom planet speedrunning and I have only just now received the prize

a plastic, hollow, cheap feeling dead-eyed Lilac that broke in the mail and I had to glue to head back on with a reminder that I was good about 2 years ago but aren't anymore.

This is an extremely robust metaphor for my entire FP speedrunning career. You are all free to laugh at me.

Everything about this post is amazing and I want you to print it out and frame it on your wall

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

evobatman posted:

What if a game is made for speedrunning? How long should you wait to speedrun it?

The community hates these kinds of games cause it's only cool if dad (the developer) doesn't approve.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

SeXReX posted:

The community hates these kinds of games cause it's only cool if dad (the developer) doesn't approve.

Counterpoint: Gunvolt, La Mulana.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

SeXReX posted:

Not really, no.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.

SeXReX posted:

Shovel Knight runners might disagree

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Counterpoint: Gunvolt, La Mulana.

la mulana was made for speed running?

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

evobatman posted:

You wait until the dev takes advantage of the free advertising on r/speedrun.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Those are all good examples of good speedgames that came out recently

I was talking about stuff like lovely planet and seum and

Just search the steam store for games with "speedrunner's dream" in the description.

Stuff where the entire point of the game is time trials.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

la mulana was made for speed running?
Not really but the devs have explicitly been keeping up with the runs. They got a nice callout in one of the sequel's kickstarter updates.

SeXReX posted:

I think I get what you're trying to say, but:

Games in which the entire point is time trials have existed since time immemorial. They just didn't know to throw around the word "speedrun" until recently.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 29, 2017

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Amppelix posted:

Games in which the entire point is time trials have existed since time immemorial. They just didn't know to throw around the word "speedrun" until recently.

speaking of time trial games, i hope the next not really speedrun game thing run at a gdq is trackmania

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Amppelix posted:

Not really but the devs have explicitly been keeping up with the runs. They got a nice callout in one of the sequel's kickstarter updates.

I'm not saying they're anything new

I am saying they, in general, have smaller communities than ones with more standard styles of progression.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

None of that's a surprise. Games which are designed around time trials just aren't very popular at all, compared to all the other themes you might see. They also tend to be quite focused and tightly designed, which cuts out a fair bit of potential for doing crazy things, meaning runs are really only impressive looking to people who are already familiar with the game.

You can't expect a very niche style of game with limited appeal to outsiders to draw a community in the game way you'd expect something that says Mario on the box, or that gives you visible loving around potential on the level of Dishonored.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Individual Level runs are loving annoying and don't make for especially compelling viewing in the speedrun community either because it's tons of little runs instead of one bigger cooler run.

I say this as someone who runs Freedom Planet, which sits somewhere in the middle on that spectrum. It does at least have a full game run to show, but the several hundred hours spent doing ILs to be good enough at the full game run are pretty loving unwatchable and not interesting to most people and probably put tons of people off the game. Nothing to be done for it, really.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Counterpoint: ILs are good and fun, and I'd love to watch somebody grind ILs on twitch for hours.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

SeXReX posted:

Those are all good examples of good speedgames that came out recently

I was talking about stuff like lovely planet and seum and

Just search the steam store for games with "speedrunner's dream" in the description.

I wonder if anyone's written up a comprehensive feature checklist for devs that want to make their games speenrunner-friendly. I imagine a lot of it is general quality-of-life stuff that benefits everyone.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Individual Level runs are loving annoying and don't make for especially compelling viewing in the speedrun community either because it's tons of little runs instead of one bigger cooler run.

I say this as someone who runs Freedom Planet, which sits somewhere in the middle on that spectrum. It does at least have a full game run to show, but the several hundred hours spent doing ILs to be good enough at the full game run are pretty loving unwatchable and not interesting to most people and probably put tons of people off the game. Nothing to be done for it, really.
Counterpoint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYmqJl4MoNI

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

SeXReX posted:

I can't speak for other people, but games designed to be time trials where everything but the ability to move fast is removed are kind of boring to watch as speedruns. A speedrun of a racing game or one of those "go fast wall jump" platformers is almost indistinguishable from an LP. I find speedruns much more entertaining when you can see how the game is being played in a way that is almost unintended, glitches or no.

chiefnewo fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 30, 2017

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

Sure but nobody's going to watch hundreds of hours of attempts for a slim chance at seeing it live when they can just see it on Youtube when it happens.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Social Media posted:

Sure but nobody's going to watch hundreds of hours of attempts for a slim chance at seeing it live when they can just see it on Youtube when it happens.
I have.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
https://twitter.com/Bismuthi/status/825390348142796802

The leaderboards for categories like All Collectibles have been wiped.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Dos posted:

holy poo poo lol

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dr. Dos posted:

how is this even possible

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

mandatory lesbian posted:

how is this even possible

you'd have to notice the slight mound of dirt walking in that tall grass to know it's there.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dr. Dos posted:

This loving game

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Dr. Dos posted:

I know it's DK64 but still :eyepop:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Does DK64 not have any sort of in-game % counter or even indication of how many pickups there are in the game? That's pretty amazing stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Rainbow Coins aren't tracked by the caps-at-101 percent counter. This doesn't affect 101% records but does invalidate All Collectibles.

• Locked thread