Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Rolo posted:

Here’s a stupid one I’ve somehow never tried: I’ve used splitters to send 3.5mm output to 2 things, but can I use one to send 2 sources into one input?

Passive signal mixers are a thing, but those circuits should still have some protective components that a splitter can get away without. I am not an electrical engineer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Have any of you sound nerds taken delivery of your new SP404s yet? Feels like news on those bad boys fell off the face of the earth. Zero interest in buying one since I'm drowning in samplers, but always curious to hear new gear experiences and realized we hadn't, yet.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

some kinda jackal posted:

Have any of you sound nerds taken delivery of your new SP404s yet? Feels like news on those bad boys fell off the face of the earth. Zero interest in buying one since I'm drowning in samplers, but always curious to hear new gear experiences and realized we hadn't, yet.

my buddy finally got his... he has no idea what he's doing but he's having fun :)

I ended up with a circuit rhythm, but realized I still need the 404 haha. I just want a box of my songs for DJing on it, the rhythm can't really do that it wants you to sequence short samples into tracks with no bouncing (longer than 30 sec)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

So Math posted:

Passive signal mixers are a thing, but those circuits should still have some protective components that a splitter can get away without. I am not an electrical engineer.

You mean you can just wire mics together and forego all this "mixer" bullshit? One Weird Trick DJs don't want you to know!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There was chatter a few pages ago about old sound chips, and it looks like a number of emulation modules for VCV got approved recently:

https://library.vcvrack.com/KautenjaDSP-PotatoChips

YM2612, 2A03, namco wavetable.. all those old chips are even more fun than they normally are when you can modulate the poo poo out of them.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

xzzy posted:

There was chatter a few pages ago about old sound chips, and it looks like a number of emulation modules for VCV got approved recently:

YM2612, 2A03, namco wavetable.. all those old chips are even more fun than they normally are when you can modulate the poo poo out of them.

So I'm not familiar with the VCV thing. How much do those units cost?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I just figured out how to get my maschine controller playing nice with vcv rack and added all them modules.

It's nice to have knobs assignable to on screen knobs for maximum tweaking pleasure.

I have the pads assigned to work as a keyboard.

I just need a bigger screen so I don't have to scroll all over the place when patches get out of control.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

petit choux posted:

Those ones are free. I'd say 90% of all vcv modules are free, and the site makes it pretty clear if they cost anything (there will be a dollar value next to the add link).

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

petit choux posted:

if you mean the vcv rack modules, they seem to be free. if you mean the chips, i think they’re long out of production and extremely highly sought after

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I haven't paid for anything VCV related, just 'subscribing' to a few manufacturers gives so many options, the Audible Instruments and Befaco sets alone (and a decent mixer. And Plateau reverb.) are enough to keep anyone occupied for years.
Incredible resource

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hey that's great. Might have to play around with it sometime.

This brings up a little question. I'm a big dumpster diver, are there any chips I should try to salvage? Any particular pieces of hardware I should keep an eye out for?

NonzeroCircle posted:

I haven't paid for anything VCV related, just 'subscribing' to a few manufacturers gives so many options, the Audible Instruments and Befaco sets alone (and a decent mixer. And Plateau reverb.) are enough to keep anyone occupied for years.
Incredible resource

So it appears. Can the VCV rack work as a VST?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

petit choux posted:

That requires paying, the VST plugin comes with the 'pro' purchase.

There is also a module you can buy to host a VST inside VCV if you were so inclined.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

Sweet!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's fun and easy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSCqKzsV50U

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Dude yes.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Ive been mucking around with old 90s sample CDs and goddamn I'm having a real "Simpsons did it" time but instead of The Simpsons it's Liam Howlett.

*finds a cool bass drum at random in a folder with dozens*
I wonder what this sounds like an octave lower?

Oh it's the clanky BOOF noise from One Love.

Ive spent so much time trying to find Prodigy samples in my life and now I'm not looking I can't avoid the bloody things!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

same but with beatmania and zero-g datafile. there’s a certain glee associated with recognizing where a sample has been used

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The Datafiles and Jungle Warfare trilogy are like an audio history lesson, love them.

The glee is always good.
Its like funk was a conspiracy to have the most ridiculous names for beats, theres a weird tight dry clack to those classic breaks that's so hard to emu-late. I'm like this with drum machines too, that eureka moment when you hear a snare and can place it can't be beat.

I'm trying to get my head around Arturia's CZ at the moment and that thing seems so weird. Can't figure out if it is simpler or more complicated than it looks, need to spend some time dissecting presets. Apparently the original Reese bass was made on one-an easy sound on any multiosc analogue but this obtuse little bugger...

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

petit choux posted:

Hey that's great. Might have to play around with it sometime.

This brings up a little question. I'm a big dumpster diver, are there any chips I should try to salvage? Any particular pieces of hardware I should keep an eye out for?

old soundblasters with the yamaha fm chips, commodore 64s, any arcade boards with a sn76477 in them, but I think that's still in production

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

More Even VCO into Triple Cap Chaos with Joystick fun, because WEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Neyny5XEZ7s

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Can you folks recommend me a decent set of headphones for monitoring? Ideally, I would prefer large, comfortable cups, and somewhere in the mid price range, if such a thing exists. Wide and flat frequency response is something that I'm beginning to discover the use of, but I guess that's implied by monitoring use?
Afraid my ancient cans are needing replacement, and would appreciate solid recs.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

B33rChiller posted:

Can you folks recommend me a decent set of headphones for monitoring? Ideally, I would prefer large, comfortable cups, and somewhere in the mid price range, if such a thing exists. Wide and flat frequency response is something that I'm beginning to discover the use of, but I guess that's implied by monitoring use?
Afraid my ancient cans are needing replacement, and would appreciate solid recs.

Super happy with my DT-770s for jamming, mixing and general listening.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I got el cheapo dj headphones from gamestop cause the fancy ones from perfect circuit broke they work great

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
AKG K240s kind of have a reputation for being good monitoring headphones but they’re a bit lacking in low-end response. The K240 knockoff Superlux are dirt-cheap and also worth a look, they’re a little peaky in the highs but are a steal for the money and still have a pretty flat response.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Hated 240s, love HD-280s and MDR7506s.

Less experience with 770s but Behringer just started cloning them and I'm not aware of a better deal if they're as good as the rest of the stuff they've been putting out

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Studio-Headphones-BH-770/dp/B07YW7V3YG

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

If I wanted to setup a modular skiff focused mainly on effects especially for like ambient and noise what modules would be the ones to look at?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

net work error posted:

If I wanted to setup a modular skiff focused mainly on effects especially for like ambient and noise what modules would be the ones to look at?

Mutable Instruments Clouds (discontinued) or Beads (updated Clouds), or else Make Noise Mimeophone, or Erbeverb for ambient effects

Noise would be Befaco Noise Plethora (available built or as a DIY kit), and Schlappi Engineering Interstellar Radio

That’s what I think of off the top of my head when you say ambient and noise

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

More Even VCO into Triple Cap Chaos with Joystick fun, because WEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Neyny5XEZ7s

This is great, the joystick looks like a lot of fun to play around with.

Headphones chat: I have Crossfade LP2s because 30 minutes of cursory research suggested they were pretty decent for studio work and...they sound good to me but I have no real frame of reference. They sound clearer than my almost 20 year old Sennheiser HD580s so I guess that's good. The cups are fairly large and envelop my ears completely, I can wear them for several hours without much discomfort. My only gripe is the stock audio cable tends to resonate in your ears if it rubs on anything.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

net work error posted:

The modules Rod listed are all good. Maybe also a FX aid XL for the versatility, and modulation sources because why going modular if not for the modulation? The big question will also be what is the level of your incoming signal. If it's line level, you will need something to boost it to modular level otherwise you will face a lot of noise due to poor gain staging. Something like Strymon AA.1 or similar

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

JamesKPolk posted:

Hated 240s, love HD-280s and MDR7506s.

Seconded, best cheap and ubiquitous set imo.

net work error posted:

Hell of envelope followers, LFOs with long periods or some novelty (e.g., a delay, fancy shapes, integral S&H), ring mods, filterbanks, the jupiter storm/galilean moons pair (3xVCO noise source and behind the panel normaled EG+VCA). Erica DSP modules are spin dsp under the hood and there is an aftermarket backpack/daughtermodule to let it accept tiptop ZDSP tapes, definitely one or three of those. :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Thanks for the headphones guidance, everyone. That helps narrow the options.

zsolt eikenboom
Dec 18, 2021
hello, long time first time! i'm trying to find a new live/touring VA synth that:

-can split the keyboard into 2 (or more) patches
-send those different sounds to different outputs (even a hard pan L/R works)
-is reasonably compact/reliable to take on the road

and bonus points if it has sampling. the closest i've come so far is the old Alesis Micron, but they haven't made those for years which gets scary if/when it shits the bed. i like the looks of the new Nord Wave but it's way more gigantic than i'd prefer (plus that price tag...). it feels like there's more keyboards on the market than i've ever seen, but so far i've had no luck finding Mr Right. part of me thinks i'm going to have to bite the bullet and use MainStage, but i'd realllllllly prefer not to have a laptop as part of my rig if i can avoid it.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Cheese Thief posted:

Anyone in here use a Reface-DX with the Dtronics controller? I'm curious how well twiddling the knobs around goes with the FM approach. I heard someone describe FM as a tree that if you shake too much, becomes unmusical fast. I already have the og dx7, plugins, mega-fm, digitone. It might redundant given the gear I already own, but dtronics makes cool stuff.
Yes, and I recommend it with the Reface DX, but it's by no means necessary. It's more a question of whether you'll like futzing with all the values and variables it gives you hands-on control to. You can definitely do essentially the same thing -- that is, the same sort of tinkering with FM -- with e.g., Dexed in software, for instance. But I think it's a worthwhile addition to the Reface if that sounds like it floats your boat. Given your other mentions of FM synths and DX7s/DX7-alikes, I'd wager it does.

FWIW, I also bought the Dtronics DT-01 for use with the D-05 for basically the same reason.

EDIT:

DreadUnknown posted:

That Cyclone TT-303 looks really neat, anyone have one?
Just wondering if its worth getting.

CatBlack posted:

I have the first version of it. I like the sequencer more than the TD-3's but I mainly use a tracker for sequencing so its kind of irrelevant for me. It's worth getting if you think you'd want to do dawless jams. Otherwise, I'd recommend the TD-3 cause it's cheaper and has midi thru.

e: The TT-303 v2 seems to have midi thru so that makes it more attractive imo
I am virtually a useless/unreliable source on this question as it seems I have yet to find a 303 or 303 clone I won't buy, apparently, but I'm a fan of the TT-303, and I have both the v1 and the v2. I also have a TD-3, FWIW. I bought all of these used. If you're deciding between the TT-303 v2 and a TD-3, I'd say the TT-303 is less farther afield than the TD-3 from the original (though the v2 form factor is much different, natch), but they both have changes and useful additions, like CatBlack mentioned. However, at the risk of unintentionally being pednantic, the TT-303 v2 has separate MIDI in & out ports, but not a separate thru port. (The TT-303 v1 has a single MIDI port that can serve for both in and out with the included splitter cable, or just as MIDI in if you don't use the splitter cable).

minidracula fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 6, 2022

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

minidracula posted:

(The TT-303 v1 has a single MIDI port that can serve for both in and out with the included splitter cable, or just as MIDI in if you don't use the splitter cable).

Well, gently caress me. I need to ask the person I bought my TT-303 from if they have that splitter. Thanks for being pedantic cause I didn't know my synth had that capability :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The dtronics controller is really nice on the Reface DX.

It's really nice to have direct control over everything and it helps a LOT for experimentation when you don't have to think about menu diving to change the parameters, but (I think I mentioned this when I first got it) while I'm still learning it still has the whole problem of "ok yeah but I'm staring at knobs that don't mean much to me" which may as well be hidden behind menus because I can't really think of how to immediately put them to use. This is definitely a problem on the user side of the keyboard/interface though, and it's really no different than sitting down at any other complex machine.

But I mean I'm in it for the long haul, so I'll say it's a lot easier to learn when I don't have menu diving pulling me away from my thought process. I'd rather learn FM synth being able to tweak just about everything from one surface than the alternative.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

net work error posted:

The Noise Engineering Desmodus series has a number of different complex effects units, but what makes them a big draw is that you can change the firmware between them fairly easily. There's a reverb, a delay, a granular effects unit, and a few others, and buying one basically means you can switch between any of them by flashing the firmware whenever you feel like it.
Mutable Instruments Beads or Clouds are super-popular for granular and reverb/delay effects. Clouds clones are a dime-a-dozen on Reverb, but I will say Clouds is relatively hard to wrangle into a consistent form. There is, however, a good reason why Rings-into-Clouds is a modular meme at this point - it sounds amazing for ambient.
Make Noise Mimeophon is supposed to be an amazing delay/reverb(ish) unit, but it's difficult to find these days. Even used it goes for above MSRP.
Spring reverbs are relatively inexpensive, and you can do some wild stuff with feedback or directly touching/"playing" the spring itself. If you can solder, I'm a particular fan of this kit from Music Thing/Thonk.
The Strymon Starlab and Magneto are supposed to be basically the Cadillacs of reverb and delay, but they're expensive and extremely large.
Noise Engineering's Ruina series of distortion units are all great, but I'm going to advocate for the Schlaapi 100 Grit if you're looking for noise and distortion. It has a series of brass balls on its top row that you bridge your fingers between for wild noise effects, which makes it super performable. I demo'd it one time and had an absolute ball with it. Recovery Effects does some cool distortion modules as well, in particular the Bad Comrade, but without significant attenuation they can be hard to find a sweet spot on.
I really like the Tiptop ZVerb, as it can switch between 24 different reverb settings that have some nice CV control. They also have a delay and a general effects unit in the same series.
Wavefolders can be particularly fun for distortion - I have an Instruo athru and it's really awesome to put drums through. But it's incredibly noisy when it doesn't have anything going through it.
Also keep in mind that there are modules that can convert from modular to line/instrument level and back again, so you can pass your modular gear through a pedalboard as well.
Even some general VCAs or inputs can be overdriven to nice effect - I use my Erica Pico Input as an overdrive unit half the time.

Oh, and my favorite dark-horse distortion unit: Mutable Instruments Kinks. Yeah, it's a utility module, but it can process audio as well as CV, meaning it can create some bizarre effects. You can alter audio by passing it through the rectifier, create ring modulation with the logic segment, or (my personal favorite) use a square wave or other simple audio source with the sample&hold to create a bitcrusher. It's loving wild once you realize the things you can do with it.

B33rChiller posted:

I've been swearing by Sony MDR-7506s for 25 years now and I'm not moving away from them any time soon.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 6, 2022

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

RocketMermaid posted:

I've been swearing by Sony MDR-7506s for 25 years now and I'm not moving away from them any time soon.

Seconding these also. I had a pair of open back headphones for a few years and it was miserable. Coming back to these is like returning home.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

CatBlack posted:

Well, gently caress me. I need to ask the person I bought my TT-303 from if they have that splitter. Thanks for being pedantic cause I didn't know my synth had that capability :)
Happy it helped! I guess I should also say, in the interests of completeness: you're not wrong WRT thru being on the TT-303 v2. It doesn't have a separate thru port, but you can configure the MIDI out of the v2 to be a MIDI thru. AFAIK, that's not possible on the TT-303 v1, though like you said, the TD-3 has this feature also.

some kinda jackal posted:

[... snip ...]

But I mean I'm in it for the long haul, so I'll say it's a lot easier to learn when I don't have menu diving pulling me away from my thought process. I'd rather learn FM synth being able to tweak just about everything from one surface than the alternative.
This is a great nutshell summary of what I think the Dtronics RDX is great for with the Reface DX. Hands-on access in a physical form factor, and basically plug-and-play with the synth its made for.

You can get a similar even HW controller-type experience with SW other ways, assuming you have a knobby controller and are willing to configure things to work together, but as a self-contained and fairly small/portable package for experimenting, exploring, learning, and manipulating FM, the Reface DX + Dtronics RDX package is pretty compelling at its price point, especially used or on sale.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

zsolt eikenboom posted:

hello, long time first time! i'm trying to find a new live/touring VA synth that:

-can split the keyboard into 2 (or more) patches
-send those different sounds to different outputs (even a hard pan L/R works)
-is reasonably compact/reliable to take on the road

microns are cheap enough that you could buy two of them for the price of anything that will be your next option up. that would solve any reliability issues you think you might encounter

e: lol, microns aren't cheap any more. m-audio venoms kinda are though

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

net work error posted:

RocketMermaid posted:

Make Noise Mimeophon
Schlaapi 100 Grit
I can personally vouch for these, though I haven't put a ton of time into 100 Grit so far (whoever said another poster should purchase 100 Grit yesterday upthread -- I'd actually purchased it the day before, heh).

One thing, though: If you're looking for a lightweight setup for your skiff, I'd actually recommend Viol Ruina over 100 Grit for noise stuff since it has a smaller footprint and it's much lighter on the wallet. The Ruina VST is free and it can give you some idea of the sounds you'll get out of it, though I think that's more representative of Ruina Versio (which is another great option for its flexibility as RocketMermaid noted, albeit more expensive). Still, worth looking into.

Gotta plug the Belgrad if filters are at all part of the conversation, though. It's a swiss army knife of ten different types of filter, three types of resonance/feedback, and the ability to span the filter poles manually or through CV. While 100 Grit and the Ruina modules are fantastic for noise, the Belgrad lets you do way more sound sculpting in general.

Mimeophon is definitely worth keeping an eye out for. I got mine on the recommendation of a friend who's been producing music for quite a while now. Even with his muuuch muuuch more expensive, sought-after reverb/delay sources (Rainmaker, Microcosm, and Big/Night Sky), he said he used the Mimeophon way more often because it was the most intuitive and quickest to dial in -- he could just get what he wanted want out of it really easily. As much as I gave him poo poo for calling a Make Noise module intuitive and easy when they feature obtuse labels and Nazca line-like labeling and directions ... well, I'm eating my words now. It actually is easy to use, and it sounds loving GORGEOUS. Especially when you envelope or otherwise modulate its parameters. Just... unf. You can definitely find delays with smaller footprints, but they probably won't measure up. The space (and cost) are worth it for the instant vibes and texture and flexibility.

To that end, I'd also recommend Ochd for ambient or noise. It's 8 bipolar LFOs in a really small space running at different relative frequencies. So you have a 8 different signals you can use to make parameters go in and out at speeds that don't synch up right away, which lets you get these incredible evolving soundscapes out of pretty much any module that lets you control parameters over CV (which is... well, lots of them, because that's the whole point of modular). I use it in almost every patch.

And while I don't have much experience with Clouds yet, I DEFINITELY recommend Rings (or maybe a Rings clone like Rangoon or a micro-Rings for a smaller footprint). Might seem oddly specific, but it's capable of incredibly lush and characterful sounds on its own -- especially when you start introducing gradual modulations.

As for 100 Grit -- there's a lot under the surface there. It's a distortion, which means it can act as a VCA (and it does a pretty good job at that) -- and it's also a low-pass filter with a lot of character. The brass balls (and certain combinations of unplugged ports and knob settings) actually give you access to a second hidden distortion and a second pole of the low-pass filter. You kinda hotwire them back into the main signal path by completing circuits between the brass balls with your fingers or wire or alligator clips or whatever. You can even pass signal to and from other modules using the brass balls with a clip and a patch cable. So if you love DIYing your feedback loops, it might be good -- but if space is at a premium, you may have better options.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 7, 2022