Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

like hatsume's patience

I imagine the breaking won't test her patience so much as Deku withholding details on how he broke it (thus hobbling her ability to make improvements)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder if we'll ever see anyone with a venom/symbiote type quirk. It'd be interesting to see this series' take on the black suit Spider-Man arc.

You know, as long as they don't have Deku reinact Spider-Man 3.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Isn't that basically Tokoyami?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Dr Subterfuge posted:

It would be a pretty dark turn, though.

It’d probably kick the jump ranking in the teeth too.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

So Dabi definitely has to be related to Endeavor right? The anime just started the League of Villains attack on the summer camp and seeing his powers animated just deepens that connection

I wonder if a later arc will play this up more

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he could be but just having a fire quirk doesn't prove anything. if he had some connection to todoroki, you'd think he'd have mentioned it

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Manatee Cannon posted:

he could be but just having a fire quirk doesn't prove anything. if he had some connection to todoroki, you'd think he'd have mentioned it

People with similar quirks aren't that rare (see: Kirishima and TetsuTetsu). Hell didn't Horikoshi say somewhere that Deku's dad can breathe fire? I doubt he's also related to Endeavor.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

People with similar quirks aren't that rare (see: Kirishima and TetsuTetsu). Hell didn't Horikoshi say somewhere that Deku's dad can breathe fire? I doubt he's also related to Endeavor.

his mom says it at the doctor

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

Rhonne posted:

I wonder if we'll ever see anyone with a venom/symbiote type quirk. It'd be interesting to see this series' take on the black suit Spider-Man arc.

You know, as long as they don't have Deku reinact Spider-Man 3.

Chapter 1

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Last week's episode also had a flashback to Deku practicing attracting objects and trying to breathe fire.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Should've tried attracting fire

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Plot twist, Deku is actually A Firebender.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

In a better world, Deku could've been the world's greatest birthday clown.

Tekne fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 24, 2018

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

In a twist, the "breathing fire" quirk just means he can breath in fire around him and not actually shoot any out of his mouth.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I feel like the combination of a 'fire-breath' quirk and a 'pull objects to you' quirk would be the ability to inhale fire and put it out, a very useful ability for a rescue hero.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Bobulus posted:

I feel like the combination of a 'fire-breath' quirk and a 'pull objects to you' quirk would be the ability to inhale fire and put it out, a very useful ability for a rescue hero.

It'd also be a hard counter to Endeavor.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Rhonne posted:

It'd also be a hard counter to Endeavor.

I feel like it wouldn't be, because all quirks have limits. Just a question of who hits the limit first, Endeavor or the guy with the fire inhaling quirk.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Natsu would own the heck out of Endeavor.

Then I'd tell him to get back in his far worse manga and stay there while my brain purged all Fairy Tail related info again 5 minutes later

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I just got caught back up on the anime and for anyone not following it closely, next episode is titled "My Hero" which is the name of the chapter where Deku vs. Muscular ends.

If they're putting the whole thing into the next episode it'll be covering three chapters, so it should be a pretty crazy one.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

There's also their similar personalities, blue eyes and Dabi specifically calling out Todoroki by name at the end of the camp arc.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Shere posted:

I just got caught back up on the anime and for anyone not following it closely, next episode is titled "My Hero" which is the name of the chapter where Deku vs. Muscular ends.

If they're putting the whole thing into the next episode it'll be covering three chapters, so it should be a pretty crazy one.
Get hype for twenty pages about One For All Full Cowling 1,000,000% being interpreted literally.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I really enjoyed seeing all their quirk training getting animated, especially Tiger's boot camp. CAT PUNCH!

I wanna see Deku train with him again, we could call them...Tiger and Bunny.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Chapter was extremely good and it was really great to see Deku pick up a win without nearly dying or having to go beyond his limits or w/e, really really cool. I also liked Gentle and he really finished things up super well. Glad as well that the academy were actually on point for detecting intruders.

e: I'd expected Yuga to show up

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
Gentle's just lucky Deku wasn't wearing his special shoes.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

EmmyOk posted:

Chapter was extremely good and it was really great to see Deku pick up a win without nearly dying or having to go beyond his limits or w/e, really really cool. I also liked Gentle and he really finished things up super well. Glad as well that the academy were actually on point for detecting intruders.

Yeah, I'm glad that Deku was able to do something without exploding. Shows that he's grown a lot and also he's freaking strong, like drat man, basically any other character from class A would have had a lot more trouble with Gentle than Deku did.

Also, I just had a thought; what if Gentle's next video is on Deku? They were filming during his fight, and it was pretty brutal, like even people in this thread pointed out that Deku is going pretty hard on the guy. What if that's how Gentle spins his next video, on the idea that UA are training their heroes to be overly violent and destructive, starring Deku, the guy who can throw a steel girder like it's nothing.

I'm thinking this because that's one thing UA hasn't been given poo poo for yet, how they train their students to be heroes. They're under fire for letting the students get involved with villains way too early, so any more of that would just be more of the same, but the question of what kind of training students were undergoing wasn't brought up at all and I think that is exactly the kind of question to get UA into even more trouble under the public eye. Plus it'll probably be Gentle's most viewed video, and I would not mind in the slightest if he becomes a recurring villain due to wanting to get even more popular via more fights against UA.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
That feels like character assassination, which I don't think Gentle would go for.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Gentle's probably going to jail now(though hopefully with a lighter sentence since he surrendered). I figure that either La Brava will get away with the camera so she can upload it herself, or it will get confiscated by UA staff, who will watch it and realize what Midoriya did for them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Yeah, I'm glad that Deku was able to do something without exploding. Shows that he's grown a lot and also he's freaking strong, like drat man, basically any other character from class A would have had a lot more trouble with Gentle than Deku did.

Also, I just had a thought; what if Gentle's next video is on Deku? They were filming during his fight, and it was pretty brutal, like even people in this thread pointed out that Deku is going pretty hard on the guy. What if that's how Gentle spins his next video, on the idea that UA are training their heroes to be overly violent and destructive, starring Deku, the guy who can throw a steel girder like it's nothing.

Why would he do that considering he seems to be pretty cool with Deku?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
also gentle isn't hurt seriously and y'all are making up the whole "deku going too hard" thing.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
This Deku boy is a violent thug who attacked an innocent man apropos of nothing as he was leaving a small cafe. :colbert:

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
if gentle didnt set a girder on a guy to try escaping maybe the deku bully thing would have more weight

i think deku is gonna keep his mouth shut about the incident and go have fun at the festival

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Why would he do that considering he seems to be pretty cool with Deku?

It's not necessarily Gentle who'd upload the footage. La Brava might get away and do it herself.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Slime posted:

It's not necessarily Gentle who'd upload the footage. La Brava might get away and do it herself.

Yeah, I can see La Brava doing it but the post just mentioned Gentle.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

People joked earlier about Gentle becoming Deku's J. Jonah Jameson, but it turns out it was actually La Brava.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

deku's going to give Gentle a wedgie and stick his head in a toilet

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

mabels big day posted:

deku's going to give Gentle a wedgie and stick his head in a toilet

Deku has gone from bullied to bully! :aaa:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Gosh I hope not. That'd ruin his YouTube career. And would probably make La Brava cry.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
Ehhhh, the entire fight left me feeling cold.

In a shonen manga when battles are clashes of ideal what exactly did Deku do to justify his victory? The story explored Gentle and La Brava histories but whenever it came to Deku's part of the narrative it simply was 'but eri' repeatedly.

Full disclosure I don't care for Eri or anyone else from the Yakuza arc, which may taint my views.

The entire fight was about Gentle and La Brava history and relationship, from showing why Gentle started to wear heavy eyeliner to the climax where it is shown Gentle original desire to be a hero. By contrast Deku went 'but eri' in varying pitches every time he was on the backfoot and instantly turned the tables by overwhelming pure strength, it's a super boring resolution to the fight and meta-narratively wise feels incredibly cheap. Like, Gentle channelled the metaphorical power of love and Deku just steamrolled over it with the exact same beat be did for all Gentle's previous attempts to gain the upper hand.

Maybe the next chapters would turn my view around but currently it feels like Horikoshi wanted some chump lowstakes villains to show Deku's new powers and accidentally gave them backstory and characters without retuning Deku's investment in the arc.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

His stakes in the fight are twofold.

Deku knows if anyone breaks in the festival will shut down and Eri will be sad, which is bad. Deku is extremely justified in wanting to make sure that a severe trauma victim is able to have fun for the first time in her life.

He also knows that if UA has to take another hit to its reputation by having a security breach, that best case his Mom probably still pulls him out of school, and worst case the whole school gets shut down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Maybe it's about Deku's heroic ethos, and how he wants to be able to not only rescue people but also to put a smile on their face and hope in their heart?
And here we have a little girl whom he rescued and who desperately needs to learn how to smile and how to hope again, and he's fighting hard in order to do that.

I don't think this is meaningless show.