Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

People in the minor regions were dealing with queues like that all the time when Blizz shifted the matchmaking to be only people within one of your rank. Fortunately they listened to the community and switched it back to how it was - they'd rather have rainbow games than wait 30+ minutes for each ranked game to pop.
In some cases the queues would just never pop. Australia+NZ population is comparable to the state of Texas. Aus players just accept that HL games are often full rainbow games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

BrianBoitano posted:

A) you were playing at 4 & 5 AM

B) You're in diamond

C) You're in your promo game

All of those cause longer queue times

I don't care about why, even when I was in diamond 1 in league my queues were like 3 minutes at 4 am. It's really annoying to wait 30 minutes then have a leaver in your game

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Currently sitting at 81.5% winrate with Mephisto after around 27 games I think. He's good

Admittedly it's getting a bit harder to own with him now that people know how to juke his Lightning Nova but he can still loving destroy in teamfights if the enemy team positions poorly even for like 2 seconds

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
A bud and I queued up as morales and meph in qm, and we ended up with a tass and a zeratul. It was a non-stop stomp, even if they had the more traditionally "good" comp. I did stupid amounts of damage, and zeratul popped in to finish em. I know QM doesn't count, but still; we found that safeguard worked extremely well with the in and out playstyle of meph. Its going to be interesting to see any combos crystallise from this.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
As that jerk that really likes to play Sgt. Hammer, Mephisto really ruins my day :(

ShortStack fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 9, 2018

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

didn’t play for ten days, logged back in and played twice as Yrel. Two complete stomps. Yup, she’s still broken.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Forced myself to play Kel'thuzad to Level 5 since he's free. To say I sucked is an understatement, he must surely be the hardest hero in the game?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The only hero that is so reliant on all their abilities as a timed combo is Li-Ming with Wave of Force. And she can still be good if she never pulls her combo off. I don’t know if I’d consider KT the hardest, but I would definitely put him in a top 3.

I almost hate how the spike has become baseline, because now I have no excuse not to learn it. So I guess I will never play him again!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 9, 2018

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

TLV and Abathur are surely harder to play. Probably Zagara and Zaratul.

For Kelthuzad, just go to Try mode and learn his two combos, one with the ice spike and one with two enemies, and congrats you got him.

Not sure if he's worth it after his recent rework though.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I hated playing Zeratul the most so I'm going to say he's the hardest. I don't find TLV and Aba very difficult, but you have to get used to playing in a different way.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
New player, here. This is fun!

But to be competitive, do I really need to learn all these character combinations and counters?

It seems like it's a bit much.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah dude

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Accretionist posted:

But to be competitive, do I really need to learn all these character combinations and counters?

Play every hero to level 5 when they are in the free rotation and then you will achieve enlightenment.

unless you HATE a hero, then don't play them to 5.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
You’ll mostly pick it up as you go. No sense memorizing everything.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
If that sort of familiarity just comes out of the woodwork, that doesn't sound bad.

So far, I've just been mowing people down wtih Raynor and Illidan in quickmatches when my gaming buddies are on. It's like a cross between banging action figures together and a board game. Great execution on the concept.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Accretionist posted:

If you care about climbing ranks or participating in any kind of organized league, then yes, you will need to be at least passingly familiar with every hero on the roster so you learn how to play around them. Not giving proper respect to how much damage/durability/crowd control the enemy team has is the #1 cause of loss at all levels of play.

tcjimbo
May 15, 2008

This is Jimbo!
Hey-hey, man!
We got this!
It's not too complicated to learn all the heroes. First, you need to learn which heroes are which roles (bruiser, tank, healer, support, assassin, mage) and what each role does. Next, you need to play each hero to learn their strengths/weakness from your viewpoint. Here's an example:

By playing Arthas, you'll learn he's different from most tanks and bruisers because he has no stun. Instead, he has two different abilities that root. You'll also notice his self sustain comes from self-casting his Q by holding Alt and pushing Q. Something you'll learn from playing him over the course of a few games is that Arthas is one of the best body blockers in the game. By walking along with an enemy hero instead of right clicking them, you can root or work with a teammate to stun the enemy hero and position yourself in front of the path the enemy hero wants to move. The enemy hero can't path through you so they have to walk around you. If you move in the right directions you can prevent the enemy player from moving forward towards their escape and secure a kill.

After playing Arthas, you'll learn that to get around him you need to immediately separate yourself from melee range of Arthas to avoid getting slowed/rooted. Once Arthas casts W, if you can stay out of melee he's a sitting duck. When Arthas casts Army of the Damned you're probably not going to kill him so avoid focusing him until it's over. You'll also know Arthas has mana problems and you can engage hard on him when you see he's low on mana.

Finally, you need to play with goons and ask for advice. You can read a guide on how to play Malthael but there's a good possibility that 1) it's outdated 2) there are important bits you might gloss over 3) the author is an idiot. You could also solo queue Medivh and not understand why your teammates are threatening to report you. By playing with goons, you can learn some practical advice on the context of what makes heroes good and why certain picks are bad.

By doing these steps you'll eventually be able to recognize where teams are strong, where they're weak, and how you can take advantage of the situation through hero choices and talent picks. And remember to do "/join sagoons" to find people to play with to get that friend bonus XP so you don't have to play an entire 5 levels of heroes like Chen, Lost Vikings, or Murky.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Upsettingly good advice from jombo

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Up until literally the last word, yes

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Try every character but for playing ranked you should pick 3ish in each role and master them.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Hoo boy is it a reeeal bad idea to bring the Vikings against Mephisto; I'd almost suggest not even showing up to teamfights to avoid screwing your team over from having an extra 3 bodies for him to benefit from. Past 10 can get very dicey, depending on how aggressive you are with Baelrog and Eric.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

TLV and Mephisto can work as long as you refuse to use Jump! for anything other than dodging his ult.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I think the problem is that Mephisto will get his abilities back roughly twice as fast if you have TLV near him.

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

Hardest hero to play is clone ult samuro and it's not even close. KTZ is easy to play once you quick cast everything and just assume you will always hit your combo and spam it all out at once.

Vikings are also very easy play. I have, 75% win rate with vikings in 50 games of team league at diamond/Master MMR and I still suck with clone ult samuro.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Good Canadian Boy posted:

Hardest hero to play is clone ult samuro and it's not even close. KTZ is easy to play once you quick cast everything and just assume you will always hit your combo and spam it all out at once.

Vikings are also very easy play. I have, 75% win rate with vikings in 50 games of team league at diamond/Master MMR and I still suck with clone ult samuro.

Tbf that is because vikings have been absurdly broken for years. I don't know if the recent nerfs helped or not.

I was very bad at playing them and won almost every game I tried them previously, and that was in 3k master or so

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Vikings are balanced by causing your team to throw 80% of the time

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69fVcOn_wQo&t=421s

balanced hero

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Clone Samuro is moderately harder than Vikings. Much more fun to play since you have to manage the clones and their timers.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I wish I could play this on US servers too. No one is playing on EU now. I went to play dota instead and got instant queue. In Dota you can also pick ingame in which region you want to play. It would be really great to be able to switch to some other region where you could actually find some players.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I haven't looked at Samuro much. I took for granted that his clones were like Nova's decoys, are they actually controllable units that can do dmg etc more like TLV than Nova?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

kaesarsosei posted:

I haven't looked at Samuro much. I took for granted that his clones were like Nova's decoys, are they actually controllable units that can do dmg etc more like TLV than Nova?
Yes. He has two ults: the whirlwind you've probably seen and control images. Grubby just posted a new samuro video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i4h_k7-euZQ

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Clone ult is undervalued. They do good damage, they tank forts and keeps, they scout and provide vision, they can be swapped to as an escape option, and you can do a triple /dance with one of the best dances in the game.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
My good friend is a Kerrigan player, and I used to slam pick Tyrande every game during preseason when she was OP. We have been crushing with Tyrande/Kerrigan and then the rest of our group goes waveclear (Jaina is the best for the combo) and main tank. We've been winning non-stop. Pre-rework we would play Diablo/Tyrande/Butcher, with double support which was good but situational. Now having Tyrande as a solo healer just makes the comp better overall.

Tyrande seems amazing right now. I've been building for full AA and the healing output is insane. I can keep up in healing with Whitemane while also blowing people up. If you go for AA/hunters mark build you can pretty much always have Hunter's Mark up. Everlasting light is mandatory, and Trueshot aura is also pretty great although it is hard to give up stun quest.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I thought it was fairly widely known that Clone Samuro is pretty powerful, just enormously too high skill floor for the returns.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Had a dream where Abathur gets a rework that cuts his locusts entirely but super pumps up his symbiote, giving it its own separate ult. And also his AA is replaced with a short ranged sleep. Hire my id, Blizzard.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Clone Samuro is a ton of fun and not even that hard to play once you get used to the 1-3 hotkeys. He's way, way more forgiving than Vikings since your clones are tough, quickly replaced, and don't give XP.

Just be wary of enemies with quests that stack on hero hits.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
sam is waaay harder to play. Vikings are super forgiving - there are three of them, you only need 2 alive to get most of their effectiveness and .25x xp is so little.

Actually getting a full hero's worth of value out of illusion sam is very very difficult, you only get one windwalk and actually contributing to a team fight is so hard (and you'll often have to, you don't have a big macro advantage early game).

Clones do literally 10 damage now, back before transmission was baseline just sending clones out over and over was a semi-viable strategy in the late game but you really have to go in now.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I watched that Grubby video and am seriously impressed. I need to resist buying Samuro and embarrassing myself.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Gobbeldygook posted:

Yes. He has two ults: the whirlwind you've probably seen and control images. Grubby just posted a new samuro video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i4h_k7-euZQ

i am always down to watch grubby play samuro and this is made even better by having a cameo from his very good boy logan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I can't even handle Rexxar, let alone microing more models than that. I don't know how people manage it, but I respect the hell out of it.