Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Got everyone together for a family photo this morning, now that they all have custom plates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I never get tired of looking at this.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

StormDrain posted:

There's been a lot of talk recently about the giant luxurious monstrosities that are modern American pickups and this picture is a perfect Crocodile Dundee "that's not a truck" rebuttal.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Seriously, my manager's 2020 Silverado is as comfortable as my car.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Old trucks are cool, and I want one, but new trucks are pretty amazing. It's stupid how comfortable, fast, easy to drive and practical my F150 is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

dema posted:

Old trucks are cool, and I want one, but new trucks are pretty amazing. It's stupid how comfortable, fast, easy to drive and practical my F150 is.

I hear that man. My '13 is more comfortable and quiet on the highway than any car I've ever owned. The coyote is a hoot and a half.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Rhyno posted:

I hear that man. My '13 is more comfortable and quiet on the highway than any car I've ever owned. The coyote is a hoot and a half.

My next car might be a truck

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

dphi posted:

My next car might be a truck

I never thought I wanted a truck yet here I am shopping for a smaller truck so I feel that.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

dema posted:

I very nearly got an F150 in that color but the color was the only thing going for it, almost zero options. I've taken all day trips in my Sierra and it's wonderful to be in for a log in period.

I've also taken half day trips in the Binder and arrived exhausted and anxious. Short trips are a blast though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

god this blows posted:

I never thought I wanted a truck yet here I am shopping for a smaller truck so I feel that.

We looked for an older beater at first and my wife said she'd prefer we get something not beat to piss. We looked at a new Ranger but the price gave me hives. We ended up in a '13 STX single cab with the 7 foot bed and its basically the same size as a new Ranger.

And like I said, that Coyote is a fuckin hoot.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Got everyone together for a family photo this morning, now that they all have custom plates.

Haus of Honda

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Shot from a while ago, the rays on the back went to Lithuania for way more than I expected. I hated the colour and also they straight up didn't fit over the fron't brakes. The wedsports to become my new track wheels.

Just waiting for these to arrive on the slow boat from Japan as I pretty much instantly missed the set I sold earlier last year. They will be powdercoated in gold again with the blue stripe.

edit: dirty interior shot

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Can’t believe you made your good pal stay up til 4am to meet some mental Eastern European op

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Can’t believe you made your good pal stay up til 4am to meet some mental Eastern European op

i lolled when he explained it to me, he fell asleep and only woke up because he left his phone on his chest when the dude rung him

i spent most of yesterday helping him with some bits on his car and had the door slam on my finger which has now gone black in places

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Those advans are legit sexy though. Can’t wait to get back on track with you pal

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Those advans are legit sexy though. Can’t wait to get back on track with you pal

Yea, i'm gonna start looking at what days to book once I've got the MOT done which should be next week or summat. I might end up doing a carlimits day, dunno if you've done something like that yerself might be worth it?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Spent an hour after work today learning the aftermarket Kenwood stereo that came with the car. Found $0.83 under the center console cupholder :toot:

EDIT: Unfortunately, left rear speaker sounds blown :(

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 23, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I'd get custom plates, but, while not astronomical, I feel like the additional fee is a bit much in TX. Probably a lot worse in some other states. For one, Texas' custom plates option has been privatized, which resulted in a *lot* more options, which is nice, but the butt-pirates hold an annual *lottery* for the privilege to have a 7 character plate - despite the actual normal TX plate now having 7 characters. At the same time, they auction off "desirable" words and names (like "COWBOYS", natch.)

StormDrain posted:

While International was never my favorite truck, at least from a style perspective, I would absolutely pause and admire such a clean survivor, and I respect what International was and did. They were tough no-nonsense trucks that got poo poo done. I respect *any* vehicle that's made it as long as that one, even more so when it's still a "working" vehicle. I mean still in use, not just still runs, but that, too. :P

god this blows posted:

The size of the "full-size" trucks is what puts me off. Well, and the cost.
Definitely interested in the Colorado and Ranger. I actually like the Tacoma, too, but man, the Toyota Tax.

I need to get out and do *something* on one of the cars this weekend.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Darchangel posted:

I'd get custom plates, but, while not astronomical, I feel like the additional fee is a bit much in TX. Probably a lot worse in some other states. For one, Texas' custom plates option has been privatized, which resulted in a *lot* more options, which is nice, but the butt-pirates hold an annual *lottery* for the privilege to have a 7 character plate - despite the actual normal TX plate now having 7 characters. At the same time, they auction off "desirable" words and names (like "COWBOYS", natch.)

My first custom plate , SLO RICE, cost $20.
My second one, Z GERMNZ, cost $76.
The last two, 2 SOON and NO VTEC, cost $82 each.

The jump from $20 to $76 happened in one fell swoop and so the next jump to $82 was much less shocking. Still worth it just to smile and giggle every time I see them.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

While International was never my favorite truck, at least from a style perspective, I would absolutely pause and admire such a clean survivor, and I respect what International was and did. They were tough no-nonsense trucks that got poo poo done. I respect *any* vehicle that's made it as long as that one, even more so when it's still a "working" vehicle. I mean still in use, not just still runs, but that, too. :P

I agree, and that's the part that brings me the most joy I think. This old truck has made a lot of trips with mulch, soil, tailgating, camping, and home improvement. It feels like there's a purpose to it. Truly the main purpose for it was to learn about auto work so that has been fulfilled to a greater extent than I imagined when I bought it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

My first custom plate , SLO RICE, cost $20.
My second one, Z GERMNZ, cost $76.
The last two, 2 SOON and NO VTEC, cost $82 each.

The jump from $20 to $76 happened in one fell swoop and so the next jump to $82 was much less shocking. Still worth it just to smile and giggle every time I see them.

Didn't realize they got more expensive in PA. Last time I got one was 2009ish when it was still around $20.

I guess it's still cheap compared to some other states though.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

opengl128 posted:

Didn't realize they got more expensive in PA. Last time I got one was 2009ish when it was still around $20.

I guess it's still cheap compared to some other states though.

"Bend over." - Illinois

https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/vehicles/license_plate_guide/passenger.html

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

For the basic vanity plates, Texas is $150/year annually, $400 for 3 years, or $450 for 5 years, on top of the actual registration fee ($76). Some plate designs cost more.

https://www.myplates.com

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

god this blows posted:

Best car I ever owned before my Focus St was a 95 f150 4x4 5spd with the straight 6 standard cab short bed no options at all.

Shame about the pile of poo poo Mazda transmission, other than that it was unkillable

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
The actual plates in MN are fairly cheap with normal ones like $6 and personalized ones around $100. But the registration taxes are based on the value and age of the vehicle. I think I had to pay like $450 for last year's registration (a MY '16 car). Once you get past ten years or so, it goes to a flat $35 fee for registration.

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/Documents/2019-Tax-Manual.pdf

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I don't have custom plates but I do enjoy looking through the lists of plate designs to find the ones that look coolest for a car. I always loved those black D.A.R.E. plates despite my opinions about the organization.

Here in Oregon the choices aren't great but the retro Pacific Wonderland plates are the best for a dark and handsome design.

It wasn't until I ordered them myself that I noticed that every single "cool" car or anything driven by a car guy has these plates, so I guess my thinking was common.

Montana has a ton of dope ones, including this:

Also look at this distinguished gentleman:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Jesus that’s crazy.

PA is a one-time fee for the personalized plate and then registration is based on vehicle type. Motorcycles are $20/year, cars are $38, light trucks are based on weight but my 2020 Silverado is like $89.

It costs me like $359 a year to keep everything registered (4 bikes, 6 cars since the Blazer doesn’t count as a truck, and one pickup). I have one car registered as a classic as well, which is a one-time registration fee and no annual inspection as well.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Ror posted:

I don't have custom plates but I do enjoy looking through the lists of plate designs to find the ones that look coolest for a car. I always loved those black D.A.R.E. plates despite my opinions about the organization.

Here in Oregon the choices aren't great but the retro Pacific Wonderland plates are the best for a dark and handsome design.

It wasn't until I ordered them myself that I noticed that every single "cool" car or anything driven by a car guy has these plates, so I guess my thinking was common.

Montana has a ton of dope ones, including this:

Also look at this distinguished gentleman:

Montana also started offering like five basic plate designs as a baseline, which is cool. I think the designer plates really took off since they are numbered statewide without the county identification, so it's not so clear you ain't from around here. Pure speculation based on one friend.

Edit lol there are 4 horse themed and 6 animal rescue with a dog and cat on it.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 27, 2021

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Fairly sure the only reason Montana offers so many diverse colors of silly plates is so you can always find one to match your $500k car you can't afford refuse to pay taxes on.

https://jalopnik.com/the-pitfalls-of-the-montana-license-plate-scam-1711216059

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Got a new boring car to takeover all the practical concerns of having a car. 2021 CX-5 Turbo Signature. I think Mazda is making really nice everyday cars these days. The 2.5 turbo being available in most things helps, but also really thoughtfully designed, high quality interiors and at least passable driving feel, for what it is. Sports car it's not, but comfortable and capable is the name of the game.

Will be a great road trip, bike/ski/camping, hauling, etc. car. Dealer still owes me roof rails and I've got a 2" hitch receiver getting shipped to me to get a nice hitch mount bike carrier setup.

Still keeping the E46 for now, but it gets to retire after 10 years of only-car duty. 125k miles and still running like a champ.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 27, 2021

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Some slow progress on the GTV6.

The current cage would be compliant with the International FIA regulations but I was pointed that nationally there are additional requirements. Bascally even older cars have to be built to same rules as new cars. So I still need to add cross brace to the main hoop and A-pillar reinforcement bars. Dash in glass fibre an d will be quickly removable with dzus fittings. 6 point belts are required.

Rust and old repairs has been a bit of a theme. In the trunk area most recently. The repairs are not quite to original shapes, but the car would still look mostly stock at least if rear bumper is mounted. On track it wont be.

I want to do side exit exhaust, the car should be low and I need to hit < 96 dBa. So next I should make some room for these.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

^^^^^^
That is awesome! The muffler location especially.

Crosspost from my project thread. After all covid related shipping delays, I finally drove it again after what was close to 6 months (I think).

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 30, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I feel sad, now. I haven't driven my '79 RX-7 in over 10 years. The inspection and reg stickers are from 2010, when I blew the engine (rotor oil seals leaked, ran out of oil, overheated and scored a bunch of stuff. RIP 12A.)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Fix it up! It took me from 2011 to 2015 to get my blue truck driving with any regularity, 2013 to 2018 to resuscitate the white truck, 2016 to 2020 to get the Honcho running at all, 2014 to 2019 to get the 5 ton running again... You'll get there.

My poor Justy has been sitting since 2015 :sigh: I can't decide whether to bring it with me or sell and buy another to modify radically.

As for things I did to my ride... I traded two cases of Sam Adams for a pair of low mile factory JK headlight housings with upgraded halogen bulbs included. These things are mint, like I swear they have under 10k miles on them. As soon as my H13 connectors, seals, and pins arrive they're going on the Honcho - they fit FSJ round headlight buckets with one small piece of metal trimmed back to clear the lens tab. Can't wait to have functioning headlights that actually illuminate the road.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Oh, I am!
If you read my thread, you may recall that this is the car's current state:

I did some rust repair, adding some riv-nuts and studs for some updated bits, among other modifications, stripped everything out of the engine bay and front end, then painted the engine bay last fall. It got cold, but now it's getting warm again, so time to start working on it again. First up, I need to decide whether or not to change over to an FC front suspension, with rack and pinion. That requires some mods. For now, I'll just blast and paint the original stuff.
Oh, also probably need to rebuild the engine I plan to stuff in it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Cross-post from the Saab thread, which is as dead as Saab Automobile AB.

I bought a 1998 Saab 900 S Convertible this weekend.
Buy a convertible on the coast by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

I live in Armidale, the car was in Laurieton, on the coast. Massive flooding a week ago meant that all of the national parks where we'd (my wife and I) normally camp were closed; many of the seller's neighbours, houses closer to the river, had piles of flood-ruined stuff (drywall, furniture, etc.) on their front lawns. But this car was at a house up the hill, and everything went very well with the sale.

Last week there were only about 3 or 4 Saab convertibles with manual transmissions for sale in all of Australia. They're thin on the ground, especially in a COLOUR rather than the boring Australian habit of white/silver/grey (two currently for sale are black, only marginally more acceptable). I'm a little worried about finding parts, but for now it's in great shape, only about 100K km on it over 23 years and serviced recently. Certainly I had no issues on the ~400 km drive home yesterday - the whole way with the top down because it's glorious. Most people seem to be really down on convertibles but I absolutely love it.

There are no routes between the table and the coast that don't include some twisty bits of road, some of them very twisty indeed. The flooding caused landslides on most of the routes so we took Thunderbolt's Way both directions, about 50 km longer than the closed Oxley Highway. But that just meant more time on secondary highways in pretty empty parts of NSW, rowing through the gears under ranks of gum trees in bright autumn sunshine.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

ExecuDork posted:

Quality buy. Don't see those much anymore, and the looks are classic.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Saab 900's are awesome, if that 2nd-3rd gear range on that VERY late model of the Best Saab is the same on my dad's '83 was, it's a blast to drive too.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

ExecuDork posted:

Kind of funny that they put on the clear/silver euro spec headlights/turn signals but the side-panel turn signals which are way cheaper are still the orange.

Great car!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

crackhaed posted:

Kind of funny that they put on the clear/silver euro spec headlights/turn signals but the side-panel turn signals which are way cheaper are still the orange.

Great car!

I think that's just how they come in the rest of the world. Here's a UKDM model: