Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Getting on a plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I can't possibly express how annoyed I am that Type Rs hold their value so well when Focus RS's tank like a rock.

Edit: what I'm saying is buy an RS.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
When I bought my subaru from a subaru dealer in Utah, they had 0 issues driving it to an independent shop for a PPI.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nm posted:

When I bought my subaru from a subaru dealer in Utah, they had 0 issues driving it to an independent shop for a PPI.

80% of the information you need is just in asking for that.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I posted this a week or two ago, and you all heavily recommended A. buying Hondas new, and B. looking at the Si. I've been poking around local dealer inventories, waiting for a few lump sum payments to come in before I made a purchase.

Well, today I stumbled upon a used 2017 Civic Type R. 29k miles, $31k. Would I be crazy to buy this? Daily driver year round, ~30 mi each day. Typically it will be just me, or me and one kid. I figure it's on the higher side of what I wanted to spend, but I'd get a ridiculously fun car, it's still a Honda, so maintenance won't be as bad as a German vehicle would be (right?), and resale should hold up well, should it come to that. A bit of the best of both worlds. And -- say of me what you will here -- I love the styling.

Would I be a drat fool to buy this car if I could get it south of $27k?

Two things: I don’t think you’ll get 4k off a used type-r or any Civic. Also for like 5k (or less) you could get a leftover, new, 2019.

A Type R is definitely one of those that I would only buy new. Same thing with the Si.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Well I personally never drove a Civic type r, but my first assumption would be to look for harsh suspension and other comfort items, that were probably compromised in lieu of its sporting pretensions. What I'm saying, drive it before you're stuck with it for the next several years.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Getting on a plane.
Undoubtedly the best solution, but if that's what's necessary, I shouldn't be buying the car.

TheWevel posted:

Two things: I don’t think you’ll get 4k off a used type-r or any Civic. Also for like 5k (or less) you could get a leftover, new, 2019.

A Type R is definitely one of those that I would only buy new. Same thing with the Si.
I don't think I'll get $4k off it either, but it's worth trying I guess. There are a couple new 2019 Type R's floating around with just the MSRP of $37k listed on the page, but what are the odds they'll give it to me OTD for $30k? Which is basically a hard upper limit, for reasons of responsibility. (I know the answer is "zero.")

Nitrox posted:

Well I personally never drove a Civic type r, but my first assumption would be to look for harsh suspension and other comfort items, that were probably compromised in lieu of its sporting pretensions. What I'm saying, drive it before you're stuck with it for the next several years.
All the reviews say it's great as a daily driver when toggled into its comfort mode. And I've daily driven a Cayman for a few years, so it's going to be tough for anything to feel less comfortable.

I do see where overheating is a common complaint, though that appears to show up almost exclusively from people tracking it, and typically in hot climates to boot (whereas I'm in NY). I wouldn't track it, though I might autocross it. Anyways, I doubt I'd come up against it much, if ever.

We need to go to the lot to look at the other models anyways, so I'll poke around while I'm there and see how flexible they are.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you're not willing to go see a car in person, you shouldn't be buying that car.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

I don't think I'll get $4k off it either, but it's worth trying I guess. There are a couple new 2019 Type R's floating around with just the MSRP of $37k listed on the page, but what are the odds they'll give it to me OTD for $30k? Which is basically a hard upper limit, for reasons of responsibility. (I know the answer is "zero.")

You won't get it for $30k, I mean, dealerships aren't a charitable organization. But, you could probably get them to $34. If you don't want to pay more than 30, just get an Si. You'll save money and it's still a good car.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TheWevel posted:

You won't get it for $30k, I mean, dealerships aren't a charitable organization. But, you could probably get them to $34. If you don't want to pay more than 30, just get an Si. You'll save money and it's still a good car.

I'm not crazy, right? You can get a used RS for $30k all day long. Why would you ever get an Si over that?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

KillHour posted:

I'm not crazy, right? You can get a used RS for $30k all day long. Why would you ever get an Si over that?

Not everybody likes Fords?

edit: don't get me wrong, I like Fords (at least the RS) but it's their choice, not ours

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TheWevel posted:

Not everybody likes Fords?

Manufacturer fanboyism is dumb as hell when you're looking for the best value for your money. I'm genuinely asking if there is an objective reason to go Si over RS. Comfort for daily driving maybe?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

KillHour posted:

Manufacturer fanboyism is dumb as hell

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

KillHour posted:

Manufacturer fanboyism is dumb as hell when you're looking for the best value for your money. I'm genuinely asking if there is an objective reason to go Si over RS. Comfort for daily driving maybe?
Personally, I have less faith in Ford performance car than I do in Honda performance car. That's by default, if we go by brand reliability.

And I've had bad enough experience with certain manufacturers, then I simply ignore their entire lineup. And that extends to everything else they own and sell under a different label. Perhaps OP is in a similar situation.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

KillHour posted:

TCO.

The Si starts at $25k MSRP brand new. You won't get much off that, because it's a Civic, but you probably won't pay much more either - so the comparison is "new Si versus used RS." There are legitimate reasons why you wouldn't want to buy a car with factory "drift mode" features used.

The Si is also basically an ordinary Civic with a few go-faster parts. The RS has its own trim-line-specific drivetrain and lots more low-production custom mechanical and body pieces. When it's damaged or things just wear out, the RS will have a lot more parts that are expensive or annoying to source.

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 23, 2020

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Did the RS fix the hg issues?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
It's not an apples to apples comparison but I chose the SI over a ST because of the interior. Interior in the ST felt cheap.

What kind of seats does the Type R have? I think they're different like the Si and hug you more. Definitely something I would want to sit in before buying.

nm posted:

Did the RS fix the hg issues?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a15843780/heres-fords-official-warranty-fix-for-focus-rs-head-gasket-failure/

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Looking for an eventual replacement for my '06 Mazda 3 hatchback before I have to throw a bunch more money at maintenance.

Proposed Budget: Under $30k.
New or Used: Prefer new but not entirely averse to buying used.
Body Style: I like hatchbacks.
How will you be using the car?: City driving (including parallel parking), road trips and occasional forest road adventures. I'm in the PNW so snow's not a huge concern and the forest roads are more likely to be potholed than rocky. No kids
What aspects are most important to you? I'm looking for a car that's fun to drive on curvy roads (with hiking/biking/camping stuff in the back) and also tolerable in big city traffic. A driving position that's comfortable for someone who's 6'0" is important and I'd certainly be happier with reasonable basic maintenance costs.

What's the current consensus for a car that says "I live in the city but I also like hiking"? I'm sure there is something more exciting than the Crosstrek. The CX-30 seems like it might meet my needs a little better than another 3. An Outback or Forester would definitely be overkill. I thought the Golf Alltrack was discontinued but it looks like the local dealer still has them in stock.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Impreza hatchback?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I like the alltrack as i own one and if you pick up a MY19 you can get the long warranty but I wouldn't bank on low maintenance costs, especially for the dsg one. it's definitely not as fun to drive as say a GTI but it's fairly decent. certainly better to drive than the crosstrek (ugh)

I think you should decide how much you need extra ground clearance. my guess is that you don't unless you're regularly bottoming out your mazda3. given that, you should buy a new mazda3 hatch because it's pretty much perfect for your desires. or maybe a honda civic hatch?

otherwise I think the alltrack or cx-30 is a decent idea if you decide you need the extra ground clearance

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Impreza hatchback?

have you driven one? they're very, very dull

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I've driven maybe 20 different Imprezas, WRXs and STIs, and I own a impreza rally car. I would not describe them as dull, in general

e: I haven't driven any stock new imprezas tho

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 24, 2020

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Stopped by the Honda dealership this weekend and took a hatchback sport touring and an Si out. I prefer the aesthetics of the sport, but it doesn't drive much different than my wife's '16 lx, and the interior just lacks any personality. The Si drove better, although first gear felt way too short, and it's nowhere near as agile as my Cayman. Nothing will be, of course, but it's definitely poisoning the well on these test drives. They also wouldn't let you test drive the '19 Type R on the lot without a deposit, had marked it up $2500 over msrp, and wouldn't budge a penny. Disappointing, but not surprising.

The whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth. The Si was...fine, but I didn't love it. And they only had one, it's something like $28k OTD (before haggling prices), and I can't find any used ones in the area. I have a sinking feeling I'm just going to be dissatisfied with any reasonable purchase. Eventually I'll come to accept that, but for now, it stings. Maybe I'll go look at the GTI, idk.

When we took the Si out on the test drive, my wife gave it a spin and didn't realize how short first was, and immediately redlined it lol

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Isn’t the accord sport with the turbo and the manual supposed to be a pretty good substitute for sporty civics but without the idiot tax, like why you should always buy a used 535 over a used 335 because of the people who own 335s

Edit that was true for the e60/90 but maybe the five series got much worse as the generations wore on

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Hey I owned an E90 335i once and I only blew the clutch once what are you trying to say!!!

Edit also what generation Cayman do you have? I've been idly checking on the second Gen ones to see where their prices are since that's a someday car for me and I have a hopefully reliable daily that I actually like now.

flightless greeb fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 24, 2020

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

Isn’t the accord sport with the turbo and the manual supposed to be a pretty good substitute for sporty civics but without the idiot tax, like why you should always buy a used 535 over a used 335 because of the people who own 335s

Edit that was true for the e60/90 but maybe the five series got much worse as the generations wore on
Hm, there is a used '16 sport Accord for $17k here. That's a $9k cheaper sticker price than the '20 Si. It's, well, boring looking, but maybe that's the way to go here.

flightless greeb posted:

Hey I owned an E90 335i once and I only blew the clutch once what are you trying to say!!!

Edit also what generation Cayman do you have? I've been idly checking on the second Gen ones to see where their prices are since that's a someday car for me and I have a hopefully reliable daily that I actually like now.
The 987, which is second gen. DD for nearly five years now, and put ~100k miles on it. I love the car, and I love driving it. See my comment about poisoning the well. Maintenance has been what you'd expect I guess? Outside of the routine stuff (frequent oil changes, clutch at 80k, etc.), there have been a few items that ran a few hundred to over a grand each. I haven't felt like any of it was outrageous or unsurprising for what the car is.

Second gen has that IMS bearing issue though, so you're rolling the dice with those. It's not nearly as bad as the internet would make it seem at first blush, but the problem does exist.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Hm, there is a used '16 sport Accord for $17k here. That's a $9k cheaper sticker price than the '20 Si. It's, well, boring looking, but maybe that's the way to go here.

2018+ are the ones with the 2.0t and manual. The '16s are just regular accords with a V6 and automatic, I think? Either way, not really sporty at all.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

The 987, which is second gen. DD for nearly five years now, and put ~100k miles on it. I love the car, and I love driving it. See my comment about poisoning the well. Maintenance has been what you'd expect I guess? Outside of the routine stuff (frequent oil changes, clutch at 80k, etc.), there have been a few items that ran a few hundred to over a grand each. I haven't felt like any of it was outrageous or unsurprising for what the car is.

Second gen has that IMS bearing issue though, so you're rolling the dice with those. It's not nearly as bad as the internet would make it seem at first blush, but the problem does exist.

Have you considered getting a large v8 dad car? Trading handling for comfort would be big for me these days, and I'll get another true sports car down the road. Already sold the Corvette, but haven't replaced it yet with something fun and still hanging on to my Mazda3 hb for now. But I can see something like a full size sedan (ideally wagon if more existed) with a 400hp v8 in my near future.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

TheWevel posted:

2018+ are the ones with the 2.0t and manual. The '16s are just regular accords with a V6 and automatic, I think? Either way, not really sporty at all.
It's a 2.4l manual https://www.westherr.com/used/Honda/2016-Honda-Accord-f8af90430a0e0adf1ea85fd36ebf260c.htm. Significantly less than HP than a 2020 2.0T though, that's for sure (189 vs 252)

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Have you considered getting a large v8 dad car? Trading handling for comfort would be big for me these days, and I'll get another true sports car down the road. Already sold the Corvette, but haven't replaced it yet with something fun and still hanging on to my Mazda3 hb for now. But I can see something like a full size sedan (ideally wagon if more existed) with a 400hp v8 in my near future.
Not...really. I do not like large cars. I have never liked large cars. I wanted a CRX or Eclipse when I was in high school, and a 350z in college, or a z4, and then bought a used TT when I got my first job. I've always loved small vehicles. I've no doubt that a 7-series, or some SUVs, or whatever would be a more comfortable ride, but it's just not been a priority at all in my life (yet). If I thought I'd be hauling my kid(s?) and dogs around all the time I'd be a lot more inclined to consider it, but since I expect that I'll be the sole occupant of my vehicle 90%+ of the time, I'm not willing to make that concession today. Maybe that makes me obstinate, I don't know. I just want to not hate my car every time I get in it.

Maybe I'll go look at Mazda3 HBs.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Yeah, I totally get that. Maybe get 2 cars and you don't have to sacrifice at all lol.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Yeah, I totally get that. Maybe get 2 cars and you don't have to sacrifice at all lol.
That was in consideration for a time (buy a 4d ecobox, keep the Cayman), but ultimately deemed a poor choice due to space, registration, ongoing maintenance, etc.

How do we feel about Focus STs? There's a 2017 ST over here for under $19k.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

How do we feel about Focus STs? There's a 2017 ST over here for under $19k.

They're...fine. The interior is definitely cheap Ford but I think the upper end ST trim (ST3?) sort of alleviates that. Where do you land on GTIs? Have you looked at one of those yet?

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I really really like the GTI and if I could have made one of those work as a work vehicle I would have for sure done it.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
What's up knowledgeable goons. I'm looking at finally replacing my venerable '08 Civic, as it's seemingly entered the downward slope portion of its reliability curve. It's technically fine now, and I could probably get another 10-15k miles out of it without major problems, but it has developed a very slow oil leak over the past 6 months that I don't see getting much better. It had a cracked engine block two years ago (replaced under Honda's secret warranty for early 8th-gen Civics) and a starter motor replacement one year ago. I could see about getting the leak fixed, but I'm leaning more toward just putting the money toward something new at this point.

Budget: $16K or less. I could stretch to $18K for the right car, but that'd either require some strict monthly budgeting or stretching my finance term, neither of which I want to do.
New or used: Used, obviously, given the budget. Not wanting a barebones tiny econobox just to say "I got it new".
Body style: 2-door coupe, open to 4-doors if the fun factor is right.
Intended usage: daily driver commuter (about 30 miles daily), and would like something that'd be fun to toss around winding mountain roads on weekends.
Important aspects: Looking for something with at least a hint of sportiness, but also practical and reliable enough to serve as a daily driver for 5+ years.

For the past 9 years I've been driving a 2008 4-door Civic LX, which has been very reliable (at least until very recently), albeit very boring. Single with no kids, so I can compromise a bit on practicality in the name of fun. I'd like something with a manual transmission, but not married to it if the rest of the car isn't too bland. In my price range, it seems like '16 and '17 Civic coupes are pretty much it, but also glancing at Impreza and Corolla 4-doors with manual transmissions. Late-model NC MX-5 Miatas are the comedy option, but I'm thinking more seriously about those than I should probably admit.

For the 10th-gen Civics, I'm eyeing the EX-T models quite a bit. Are the non-turbocharged regular EX/LX-P models a noticeable performance drop off from the turbocharged ones? Additionally, how bland is the automatic CVT in those if I drop the manual requirement?

Any other models I should look seriously at?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Get the Miata.

Comedy option Toyobaru.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Single, no kids, and presumably on the younger side? Absolutely get the Miata. Real life comes for us all (see all my posts in the last few pages), and you'll be glad you bought the fun car while you could.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

I've driven maybe 20 different Imprezas, WRXs and STIs, and I own a impreza rally car. I would not describe them as dull, in general

e: I haven't driven any stock new imprezas tho

the new stock impreza is not anything like any of the previous ones; I was of course referring to the new one because that's relevant for the poster's question, not the WRX or STI or a prepped car.

TheWevel posted:

They're...fine. The interior is definitely cheap Ford but I think the upper end ST trim (ST3?) sort of alleviates that. Where do you land on GTIs? Have you looked at one of those yet?

I had a ST3. the interior is just as cheap except for the seats, which are now heated and leather wrapped recaros. honestly the seats were really loving good, but if you expect it to make any of the interior nicer, it does not.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Since we're talking about seats, can I say how much I hated the seats in the Focus RS I drove? I'm not that wide but the bucket seats felt like they were pressing into the back of my rib cage. Super uncomfortable. Much prefer the seats in my WRX.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Miata is always the answer, I guess.

Has anyone had experience with the PRHT on the NC Miatas? Just curious how the mechanism fares long term.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Since we're talking about seats, can I say how much I hated the seats in the Focus RS I drove? I'm not that wide but the bucket seats felt like they were pressing into the back of my rib cage. Super uncomfortable. Much prefer the seats in my WRX.

They break in over about 1k miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

KillHour posted:

They break in over about 1k miles.

It was a buddy's car that had quite a few miles on it. :kiddo: