Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

It's just an A5 power chord shape with an additional lower 5th added. I'm not sure there's even notation for that, it's just a different voicing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Y'know those power chords that are like... double power chords??

Yeah you can think of it as a root 6 power chord with 4ths instead of 5ths, or a root 5 with the 5th in the bass to give it more depth. I use them a lot as the latter, it means the lowest power chord you can get in standard is an A5, pretty sassy. Since when were Silverchair not a drop D shop though?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

muike posted:

https://reverb.com/item/3181170-ibanez-sdgr-bass-silver-used-s541

You literally can't do better than this right now unless you want a 5 string. That's a Japanese made bass. You're basically stealing it at this price

Any reason I shouldn't buy this? I'm looking for a bass right now and this seems kinda crazy.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Mr E posted:

Any reason I shouldn't buy this? I'm looking for a bass right now and this seems kinda crazy.

Not really. Chicago Music Exchange is legit so you wouldn't have any problems returning it if it's not as described. I've been playing one for the past few weeks and I love mine, and I paid much more without getting a case.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

muike posted:

Not really. Chicago Music Exchange is legit so you wouldn't have any problems returning it if it's not as described. I've been playing one for the past few weeks and I love mine, and I paid much more without getting a case.

Alright, I've bought pedals from them before with no issues so I just wanted to make sure the bass itself was fine.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
If there's any issues I'm sure they'd help you out without hesitation but drat dude that's a good rear end deal.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I'm taking a guitar in today or tomorrow that I bought there. One string is out of intonation. They said they'd take care of it. I've generally had good experiences with them.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Schpyder posted:

It's just an A5 power chord shape with an additional lower 5th added. I'm not sure there's even notation for that, it's just a different voicing.

It's an inversion. So instead of A-E-A thats E-A-E.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 12, 2016

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

muike posted:

If there's any issues I'm sure they'd help you out without hesitation but drat dude that's a good rear end deal.

Yeah I jumped on that as soon as I saw your reply, 175 bucks even without the case would have been insane. Gonna have to get a bigger guitar stand with this purchase...

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Been playing with the DI on my runt totally dry, and man, it's very very revealing to have no reverb, delay, etc. on a track - just very raw sound. It makes me :smith: I recorded a little video about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqm2EUDPOQQ

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 12, 2016

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

peter gabriel posted:

I love mine too, I use it for the last two songs of the set. I've never had that happen though, is it when you bend?
Naw, it's anytime I put a finger on the string above like the 5th fret. Not for chords/power chords but for lead-type-stuff.

I'm sure it's my technique that's at fault but I can't seem to loving stop. The nut is maybe slightly a mm off. Maybe I need heavier strings too, I'm using 10's. I like 12s on a Jag but it seems wrong for a mustang.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Southern Heel posted:

Been playing with the DI on my runt totally dry, and man, it's very very revealing to have no reverb, delay, etc. on a track - just very raw sound. It makes me :smith: I recorded a little video about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqm2EUDPOQQ

That amp sounds really awesome! I'll have to watch through the rest of your content soon. I knew you mentioned doing YouTube stuff but I didn't realize you pulled the trigger. Are you finding it enjoyable?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

AlphaDog posted:

I'm building some kits and simple electronic stuff. Doing a tube amp is my eventual long term goal, but I'm far from capable enough just yet.

I just finished my fretless bass kit the other day (pics in the bass thread). I've also got a telecaster going on and a les paul kit arriving soon.

For electronics, I've built a gated bass fuzz pedal (plans from tagboardeffects.blogspot.com) which sounds OK but isn't quite right, and a tiny single-knob 9v battery powered 1w solid state amplifier which I built first by just got aroudn to putting into a tiny box with a tiny speaker so I can jam out terribly with my acoustic-playing friend.

A couple months ago I had no idea that I'd be able to do any of this, but most of it is actually not too hard if you're prepared to read a lot and take time and care doing things. A DIY instrument/electronics thread would be a fantastic resource, but my skills and knowledge still feel far to meager for me to start one. I'd love to hear about your amp.

I'm an amp tinkerer, jwh is around here and is much better at it than I am (I am bad at design and fairly confused)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Remulak posted:

Naw, it's anytime I put a finger on the string above like the 5th fret. Not for chords/power chords but for lead-type-stuff.

I'm sure it's my technique that's at fault but I can't seem to loving stop. The nut is maybe slightly a mm off. Maybe I need heavier strings too, I'm using 10's. I like 12s on a Jag but it seems wrong for a mustang.

It's got the same scale length as a Jag so they should be ok :)
Something is amiss though, having said that mine is 51 years old and some badass probably in the 70s fitted a monster brass nut on it so my reference points are all out of whack.
Can you take a pic directly down onto the nut and bridge? If there is an issue we can spot it I reckon

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Schpyder posted:

"Proper" notation would just be adding the bass note, eg A5/E or C5/G

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I made a short song for once

https://soundcloud.com/lfranco321/short-song

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I like the riffage at 0:33, I wonder if it needs something to differentiate the sections a little more? The slow bit at the start was a nice contrast. Also that bass-drum pattern was tight AF but sounded a bit flubby at the start?

Kilometers Davis posted:

That amp sounds really awesome! I'll have to watch through the rest of your content soon. I knew you mentioned doing YouTube stuff but I didn't realize you pulled the trigger. Are you finding it enjoyable?

I'm trying to find a balance between recording, editing and actually making content worth uploading. For example this particular video took about 3x10 mins to shoot, 30 mins to edit, an hour to render and 45 minutes to upload - and I'm very aware that I'm not a great guitarist either, and I have no audience. Sometimes that gets me down and if it gets too onerous I just have to drop the whole idea and do it another day. I'm still convinced there's room for "Englands Okayest Guitarist" I'm just not sure if I can produce content that people actually want to listen to :)

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Occasionally people will latch onto your stuff unexpectedly, even if you yourself don't feel its good.

On one of my soundclouds I put up a instrumental cover of "Du riescht so gut" and somehow i hit the free account limit of 100 downloads. I had about a tenth that many followers and didn't promote it or anything, was just something i put up for my girlfriend. Other stuff on there had maybe 5 downloads or likes or whatever but for some reason my bad Rammstein cover did really well by my standards.

Keep at it, like playing itself, the important thing is you enjoy doing it, if it becomes a chore then re-think. One of my current favourite youtube bedroom guitarists is some Polish dude in an anonymous mask who does Limp Bizkit covers, purely because his whammy bar skills are insane and he clearly is super enthusiastic about doing it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Southern Heel posted:

I like the riffage at 0:33, I wonder if it needs something to differentiate the sections a little more? The slow bit at the start was a nice contrast. Also that bass-drum pattern was tight AF but sounded a bit flubby at the start?

Thanks!

Probably, I only wrote the thing in 20 minutes to sarcastically respond to an email (took three hours to write and record though :downs: ) so each riff is basically just a subtle variation of each other, that I wrote while trying to make a grindcore song after playing a lot of slayer the past week. After the part at 0:33 I should have added another riff to create some contrast but I was trying the "less is more" approach so the song didn't bloat out to eight minutes long as the whole point was to scream incoherently into a mic plugged into a tube screamer then reverbed to hell to reply to my supervisors with "nah dude I'll pass on dressing up for the christmas party."

After looking into the bass drum pattern at the beginning, I think I over humanized the first few parts and then didn't humanize the rest of the song after the break so it sounds muddy as gently caress at the beginning and then tight throughout the rest of the song. I'm still trying to get the hang of that, because humanizing a drum machine is the keystone to using a machine.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Oct 13, 2016

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I tend to leave the grid on but turn off snap when I'm aiming for "realistic" beats, so I'm drawing to the grid but everything is a tiny bit 'off'. Or if its a full track I'm happy with the structure of I'll consolidate all the midi to one clip then use Cubase's iterative quantize (don't know if Reaper can do similar).

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

NonzeroCircle posted:

I tend to leave the grid on but turn off snap when I'm aiming for "realistic" beats, so I'm drawing to the grid but everything is a tiny bit 'off'. Or if its a full track I'm happy with the structure of I'll consolidate all the midi to one clip then use Cubase's iterative quantize (don't know if Reaper can do similar).

Reaper may have that but I have no idea how to consolidate all the midi items into one clip.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
If it's just blocks of midi (so a whole 'beat' is in one clip which is how I mostly work) then you should just be able to line them up and glue them together. If you have separate midi tracks for kicks, snares etc then http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=76767 may be of use?

You're using Superior Drummer, right? The humanise functions in there are pretty ok for velocity control but take a while to nail, they're really twitchy.

I found a hilarious but mostly useless guide on metalguitarist where it devolved into 'gently caress you shithead' within 2 posts too. Its nice that ML doesn't get like that and thats why i don't bother posting musicy stuff anywhere else

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Oct 13, 2016

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

NonzeroCircle posted:

If it's just blocks of midi (so a whole 'beat' is in one clip which is how I mostly work) then you should just be able to line them up and glue them together. If you have separate midi tracks for kicks, snares etc then http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=76767 may be of use?

You're using Superior Drummer, right? The humanise functions in there are pretty ok for velocity control but take a while to nail, they're really twitchy.

I found a hilarious but mostly useless guide on metalguitarist where it devolved into 'gently caress you shithead' within 2 posts too. Its nice that ML doesn't get like that and thats why i don't bother posting musicy stuff anywhere else

Oh duh, I was trying the regular glue command and not getting good results but turns out there's a "glue items within time selection" that is entirely what I want. Thanks, I'm an idiot sometimes. I'm using reaper's midi editor so I'm using its humanize function (conveniently mapped to "h" ) and everything's all on one master track, that I then copy onto a reinforcement track below it that's just toms/snare/kick so luckily I don't need to really get super fancy.

Superior Drummer is confusing as gently caress, any time I try to change a single setting in there I end up somewhere else tweaking a completely different setting and forgetting about why I even cracked it open in the first place. To me the UI is like the Pied Piper UI from Sillicon Valley.

I want to read that guide because it sounds funny. Ironically the music part of this forum is one of the better ones and people are often really helpful, it's not just about dickwaving new purchases and to me that's a huge thing because I'd rather play my guitars than get new ones. Also I likely have too many but that's besides the point.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/music-recording-studio/30987-combining-glue-midi-tracks-reaper.html

"shitball"

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Shugojin posted:

I'm an amp tinkerer, jwh is around here and is much better at it than I am (I am bad at design and fairly confused)

I've built a handful of original designs, all tube, so I'm happy to help anybody if I can.

The best books I've read on the subject are Merlin Blencowe's "Designing Tube Preamps for Guitar and Bass," and Robert Megantz' "Design and Construction of Tube Guitar Amplifiers"

Currently, I'm working on finalizing the parts list for a new design, and my most complicated circuit yet:

2xEL84 cathode biased power section ~14 watts
All tube design
1x12 combo
Spring reverb
Simulated power scaling
Fender Bassman style preamplifier circuit
Some neat ideas for a reverb tone control

Unfortunately, it looks like I may have to move to Connecticut for work, so I won't have access to the workshop I had used to build these amps, so I'm not sure what's going to happen :/

Here's the last amplifier I built, which I'm still pretty proud of:

http://imgur.com/a/pp5L2

http://imgur.com/a/3v8yE

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

jwh posted:

Here's the last amplifier I built, which I'm still pretty proud of:

http://imgur.com/a/pp5L2

http://imgur.com/a/3v8yE

That's beautiful

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Saw this in Facebook Marketplace. Thoughts?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Dope guitar!, but you can easily find cheaper and in better condition on Reverb/Ebay.

Edit: nope I'm wrong, I was looking at new/reissue model prices.

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 14, 2016

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Captain Apollo posted:

Saw this in Facebook Marketplace. Thoughts?

Unless you gotta have one I would never pay that price.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I had one. Very slim neck, easy to play. Pickups are weirdly low output. Definitely a single coil sound, but mine didn't have the bite of a strat. Overall it was well-mannered and predictable, and very light. Only major con for me was the bridge dug into my hand if I palm muted, which I do a lot. Forgot what the switches did, but they were fun.

No idea what they're worth these days, but I think I paid $350 in the late 90s.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
Really dumb question, but is it even possible to run a 35w head into a single 1x12 V30 without blowing the speaker? What about higher wattage heads? If you have a 120w 6505+, for example, it's pretty much impossible to play that through anything smaller than a 4x12 without damaging the speakers, right?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Bazanga posted:

Really dumb question, but is it even possible to run a 35w head into a single 1x12 V30 without blowing the speaker? What about higher wattage heads? If you have a 120w 6505+, for example, it's pretty much impossible to play that through anything smaller than a 4x12 without damaging the speakers, right?

V30s can be 60 watts etc:

http://www.lean-business.co.uk/esho...CwyQRoC7iHw_wcB

It should say on the speaker what they are, so check that out first :)

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
Oh, poo poo, I thought the 30 stood for 30w. Welp.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

It absolutely is. Just make sure the speaker is rated for enough wattage (check the sticker on the back) and also the right impedance for the amp (again the sticker on the back of the speaker, and also whatever is written above/below/beside the speaker out on the amp)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I think mine are 70 watts, some special edition or something for Marshall

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bazanga posted:

All that should matter is output impedance because the output transformer doesn't give a poo poo about the internal power of the amp, but actually the load it's connected to. Ideally if the load on the amp matches the internal impedance* of the amp then maximum power will be transfered. Amps are AC circuits but that's a whole loving mess of confusion so don't worry about that poo poo, but the cabinet thinks of your amp as just a voltage source with a resistance to it so the impedance selector on your amp's output changes that internal amp impedance that the cabinet sees. So that's why when you hook up an 8 Ohm cabinet to an amp, you should set the amp to 8 Ohm.

I'm going to pull some easy numbers out of my rear end to demonstrate what happens:

This is a DC circuit but the explanation still applies for AC, except poo poo gets super hairy and weird with RMS power and reactive loads and power triangles and other poo poo you don't have time for and certainly don't need to care about. So if the internal resistance R is at 8 Ohm then the voltage across the 8 Ohm cab is 50 V, so the power on that load is 2500 / 8 = 312.5 W. If R is 4 Ohm then then voltage on the load is 66.67 V so the power on the load is 555.56 W. The output voltage on an amp isn't even close to 100 V so don't worry about why these numbers are so large. If you want to play with this yourself, go to http://www.raltron.com/cust/tools/voltage_divider.asp and put in examples of dummy loads and internal resistances. To find power across the load, it's the (voltage across the load) squared, divided by the resistance. Or simply (V^2)/R.

Simply put, don't worry about the physical size of the cabinet, but the impedance of the cabinet/speaker/DI box. Edit: also don't forget about total power draw of the load because even if it's a matched load, you can still blow that fucker up with entirely too much balanced power Also you can do some fun tricks with underpowering a cab or slightly overpowering a cab.

*note: resistance is DC circuits and impedance is AC circuits. Think of them as the same thing in this example but they're not really the same thing in every other example and it's kinda confusing so don't worry about it.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 14, 2016

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
heads up premier guitar's doing some email harvesting pedal giveaway thing all month

http://www.premierguitar.com/stompboxtober

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
My buddy asked me to make him some quick album art for an EP he's putting together and he just uploaded his first instrumental track. Figured I'd post it here and see what you goons think (and to get some mix feedback).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJrpqUYywsM

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

baka kaba posted:

Since when were Silverchair not a drop D shop though?

In their most famous/popular song of all time, duh. and pretty much nowhere else, yeah

I wonder if that's an indictment on DropD in general though, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Today I played a bari with TV Jones filtertron types

:stare:

e: Seriously it was pretty killer sound especially on the bottom range but I was unsure what to do with it.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 14, 2016