Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

New macbook for mom, Rmbp if you plan on doing anything more than web browsing/email/music.

Which is a big step up from the original Air, which was a bad computer for effectively everyone (even Mom)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

enMTW posted:

Which is a big step up from the original Air, which was a bad computer for effectively everyone (even Mom)

Yeah, I'm not arguing that. I have no dog in that fight. Just seems like where the line is drawn. Sounds pretty reasonable to me, though I think the price is a bit steep (but they'll just take care of that next year).

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, I'm not arguing that. I have no dog in that fight. Just seems like where the line is drawn. Sounds pretty reasonable to me, though I think the price is a bit steep (but they'll just take care of that next year).

Yep, that's fair. Your post was quite fair.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

I know it's to be expected considering how tiny and light the thing is, but I'm pretty disappointed by the battery life. I could take the slower CPU and everything if it had at least a 10 hour battery life.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

enMTW posted:

Do yourself a favour and look it up. It a hilariously terrible computer. Basically a list of compromises in the name of size and weight.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Hm, I was hoping to buy one of those for work. All our stuff is on remote servers, I just need sshfs and Sublime Text. Maybe it'll still do?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I had to support someone who inherited a 1st gen MBA. It was indeed a POS (YOS?) machine from its lovely hinge quality, to the "bomb bay" ports, to the feeble Intel GMA X3100 GPU.

It literally could not play any NetFlix movie at any resolution higher than 800 * 600 without losing frames.

As a bonus you'll never be able to run any OS X higher than 10.7.5 because of the lovely GPU.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 9, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Boiled Water posted:

Do yourself a favour and look it up. It a hilariously terrible computer. Basically a list of compromises in the name of size and weight.

Yeah, I remember the original Air. It was terrible.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are Apple proprietary SSDs still electrically SATA with a proprietary connector or have they moved onto proprietary(?) PCIe/NVMe? If it did change when did it change?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Proprietary PCIe 2.0. Happened with late 2013 rMBP AFAIK.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Basically the reviews for the Macbook are not the least bit surprising. This thread accurately called all of its pros and cons the day it was announced.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Seems like a good computer to carry with you to school/work, take notes on, travel with, etc. The only thing pushing me towards the 13" pro right now is the superior battery life, other than that I'd be all over the macbook

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
New macbook.

Verge review:

The future apparently rates only

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I like it, especially scaled resolution, so I'll return it and wait a little bit to get another so they can have some more time to work issues out.

Gonna reiterate again, it appears your specific machine may have a hardware issues, not that the entire line has bugs.

Based on your experience and the experience of others in the thread, it appears as though those problems will not exist on another unit. But do what you want.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

New macbook.

Verge review:

Well yeah. For better or worse USB-C and more reliance on wireless connectivity is the future. You're just gonna deal with a lot of early-adopter and first-gen hardware headaches to experience it early.

The reviews are actually making me like the new MacBook more than I used to. I agree that it's in a much better place than the original MBA was and I'm confident that it'll improve dramatically in every way within the next 2 years. And I haven't seen them in person yet but all of the new in-use/not-taken-by-Apple photos look pretty gorgeous, although I would've loved to see Apple move away from sharp corners and introduce some iPhone-like rounded edges (and like the last-generation poly MacBook)- mostly because the edges on the unibody Macs have always been such ding magnets. I'm actually really digging the gold now.

That said, my mom would have the worst time with one. She's barely comfortable with the port situation the way it is now.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I can't really argue in this case with the lower rating despite the praise about what this product signals. This product paves the way for a better product down the road, and is compromised in an important way. The real compromise would have been to make it a little thicker to accommodate regular keyboard mechanisms, a regular USB port, etc, but that wouldn't drive progress nearly as much as this.

But as an actual product you can buy and use today, without thinking about what it means for the future? 8.4 is generous.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

New macbook.

Verge review:

Yeah that's a funny way of saying wait till the next iteration.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Some MacBook news from a reseller: http://archives.subscribermail.com/msg/24176f2acc6942a3966beb6f30de375e.htm

"Here’s the way Apple is handling initial delivery of the new MacBook: No stores, including their own, will have stock to speak of -- possibly for as long as 3-4 months. The MacBook is going to be highly constrained for quite some time.

In an attempt to be fair, Apple has instituted a policy to drop ship straight to all end users from its factory in first-in first-out priority. Even Apple Store employees have been given the directive to point people to online ordering.

The confusing aspect of this process is that once an order is put into that system there is no stopping, changing, canceling, or generally even finding out how much time is left before it ships. Accordingly, we have no other way to process a MacBook order than charge your card, place the order with Apple, and wait for it to ship. The good news is that all orders are being handled on a first-in, first-out basis, and we're being told those shipments should release in a matter of 2-3 weeks."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

KillerMojo posted:

Yeah that's a funny way of saying wait till the next iteration.

Yeah the current Macbook is kinda pointless right now, but you gotta start somewhere. It's going to be way better in a year or two.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

That goodstuff/badstuff blurb reads like the diary of the least insightful man in the world.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Boiled Water posted:

That goodstuff/badstuff blurb reads like the diary of the least insightful man in the world.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think the Macbook is really great. It's much more advanced relative to the time of release than the original Air thanks to the SSD and RAM. It is perfect for the people who use their machines as word processors than can access the web, of which there are a ton.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Expensive Chromebook!

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Nut Bunnies posted:

I think the Macbook is really great. It's much more advanced relative to the time of release than the original Air thanks to the SSD and RAM. It is perfect for rich people who use their machines as word processors than can access the web, of which there are a ton.
Fixed.

Seriously. If you want a device that you can write a screenplay on while browsing Facebook and listening to Spotify, you could do a whole lot better than a $1400 Macbook.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
^^Oh whatever. :rolleyes:

This is basically the same complaint that people have been having about the MacBook Air since forever. And people seem to like that computer just fine here.

numtini
Feb 7, 2010

quote:

Seriously. If you want a device that you can write a screenplay on while browsing Facebook and listening to Spotify, you could do a whole lot better than a $1400 Macbook.

I'm an author and use my MBA 11" solely for writing novels while listening to spotify. I think people are overestimating what most people use computers for.

What strikes me in the reviews on the MB12 is the comments that people don't like the keyboard and that it doesn't balance well in the lap because it's so light. One of the things the old Air really has going for it is it's comfortable to type on and the balance is sublime.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I used my 11" Air for tons of stuff. Ruby/web/iOS development, retro games and emulators, forums, iTunes

CPU speed was never really an issue. The only thing I didn't like about it was 1366x768, but the new MacBook doesn't really fix that (I can't see for poo poo so running a simulated 135dpi on the Retina still doesn't give me enough screen real estate). The form factor would be cool (I really love the size of the 11" Air) but I'll just stick with hambeast 13" rMBP

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Fixed.

counterpoint: it's very pretty

Bob Morales posted:

I used my 11" Air for tons of stuff. Ruby/web/iOS development, retro games and emulators, forums, iTunes

CPU speed was never really an issue. The only thing I didn't like about it was 1366x768, but the new MacBook doesn't really fix that (I can't see for poo poo so running a simulated 135dpi on the Retina still doesn't give me enough screen real estate). The form factor would be cool (I really love the size of the 11" Air) but I'll just stick with hambeast 13" rMBP

tbf the screen is a good bit taller in terms of aspect ratio compared to the 11" MBA, and it comes stock set to the same amount of screen real estate as the 13" MBPr

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 10, 2015

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Seriously, he makes it sound like the i7 2011 MBA was somehow super-underpowered and incapable or something. It's held its own pretty well even against computers from any of the last 3 years.

I had the i5 version and I never felt like I was punishing it except for moments when I had, like, 50 Chrome tabs open or when I started butting up against the 128gb/4gb specs, which were my fault and exactly half of what comes standard in the new model. I switched to a 15" rMBP for other work needs but I often miss the Air. I gave it to my dad this fall and it's more computer than he needs since he's got all of his media on a 2009 iMac and in the cloud.

I remember when I bought it and people in this very thread were talking about how much they were getting comfortably done on their new Airs- stuff like Steam games, Photoshop, XCode/iOS development.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've been using my i5 MBA to control a set of remote server with 200 GB RAM and 50 Xeon cores each for a few months now, and literally the only things I wish my Air had was 1. less bulk and 2. a retina screen. Otherwise it has performed admirably.

I also play a bit of Civ 5 but that really gets the fan going.

What I'm saying is, I hope the 2nd gen MB comes soon cause I'm not buying 1st-gen Apple stuff.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Kingnothing posted:

reiterate again

Is this... double redundancy?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are the 2015 13" MBPs available in apple stores to play with? Want to check out that touch pad.

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Are the 2015 13" MBPs available in apple stores to play with? Want to check out that touch pad.

I don't live near any Apple stores but they're already at my local best buy.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

- Douglas Adams

Electric Bugaloo posted:

^^Oh whatever. :rolleyes:

This is basically the same complaint that people have been having about the MacBook Air since forever. And people seem to like that computer just fine here.

The consensus is the first air sucked. Apple is totally capable of releasing an overpriced piece of hardware, they usually do it as a first iteration of a new line and capitalize on people with deeper wallets than sense. It's a thing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KillerMojo posted:

The consensus is the first air sucked. Apple is totally capable of releasing an overpriced piece of hardware, they usually do it as a first iteration of a new line and capitalize on people with deeper wallets than sense. It's a thing.

Yeah, and what about all of the subsequent models (which are what I was referring to)?

Duh the first-gen MBA was awful- and even the 2010 one had issues- but what about the 2011 model that this is similar in performance to?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Shaocaholica posted:

How is it different from the 13" rMBP trackpad? It -is- really cool to turn the machine off, feel that there is no click in the touchpad, then play with press sensitivity in the sys prefs.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
I played around with the new MacBook five minutes ago. Performance was fine in the browser, the build quality is amazing and your brain doesn't just expect how light this thing is when you lift it. Also, the force trackpad feels like black magic, you 100% feel like you are clicking a regular touchpad. I was most pleasantly surprised by the keyboard though. Yes it has very very little travel. However, you get a very good positive response when the buttons actually engage and everything is spaced out well.

Obviously not gonna replace my rMBP development machine but it's probably the best traveling businessman type computer I've seen (battery life notwithstanding).

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

- Douglas Adams

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yeah, and what about all of the subsequent models (which are what I was referring to)?

Duh the first-gen MBA was awful- and even the 2010 one had issues- but what about the 2011 model that this is similar in performance to?

That's totally great but the the context of the discussion is around the 1st gen 'new Macbook' and how the value isn't there. Just like other first iterations of Apple lines. Like the first MBA. The 2011 MBA is a better value proposition than the new Macbook.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Nut Bunnies posted:

I think the Macbook is really great. It's much more advanced relative to the time of release than the original Air thanks to the SSD and RAM. It is perfect for the people who use their machines as word processors than can access the web, of which there are a ton.

There are a lot of people like this but people who want a simple computing experience generally want a simple computing experience all around, for example people like my parents would be perplexed and very much turned off by the whole one-port USB-C thing and the need for a dongle. I don't think it's a bad device overall and I can definitely see a market for it but I can't see it being a huge seller at least not this generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Dicked around with the 2015MB for ~5 min in the Santa Barbara Apple Store. Seems fine for most of what I would use a computer for: Spotify, shitposting, coding, and light sysad junk. It's not as crazy thin as I was expecting it to be. The screen is really nice.