Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
The only run-in I've had with Homestuck people in the wild is the time I dozed off on the Portland MAX and woke up surrounded by a group of cosplayers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

snucks posted:

I contemplate getting a broken record t-shirt like most people contemplate getting a tattoo.

I understand why.

I'm a doofus, so about a year back when I first got my Strider shirt I was careful not to wear the thing in public lest I be attacked by a crazy Homestuck fan. Two weeks after I got the shirt, I went out to do some errands unknowing I was wearing the thing. While I ate my food I realized what I was wearing and considered running home to change before continuing with my day.

In an effort to avoid silly Homestuck fans, I had become a silly Homestuck fan.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Seoinin posted:

The only run-in I've had with Homestuck people in the wild is the time I dozed off on the Portland MAX and woke up surrounded by a group of cosplayers.

This must have been a Narnia-like experience.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
My broken record shirt is still in my shirt rotation and I've never run into a homestuck fan that I personally didn't already introduce homestuck to.

:smith:

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Seoinin posted:

Which MAX line were you riding to wake up surrounded by Homestuck cosplayers? :psyduck: I've seen like, one hoodie ever in Portland.

And I don't really mind cosplay, or wearing t-shirts or whatever (I own a couple myself, the designs are pretty abstract) it's just that Homestuck fans are such a goddamn crapshoot.

I admit I did laugh when an acquaintance of mine I had no idea was into Homestuck quipped "I warned you about stairs, bro," when I stumbled on a step and nearly bit it on the pavement outside their apartment.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

quote:

Which MAX line were you riding to wake up surrounded by Homestuck cosplayers? :psyduck: I've seen like, one hoodie ever in Portland.
Blue line through Pioneer Square. I think there's a comic convention or something downtown in september-ish? So it's not totally inexplicable. Still, makes one's brain throw a rod when you kinda jostle awake to find five people in gray paint arguing about who's paying for the voodoo donuts later.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 19, 2012

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

My broken record shirt is still in my shirt rotation and I've never run into a homestuck fan that I personally didn't already introduce homestuck to.

:smith:

I know how you feel, my small town in Texas doesn't have many Homestuck people, or at least any that go outside. :v:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Wow, these stories are making me really nervous to wear my Beta kids badges when i get them. :ohdear:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I've worn both the black Green-Slime-Ghost shirt and the Sepulchritude! shirt in my normal rotation, and I've never once had anyone comment on them. :(

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Being in the UK I think it's a lot safer for me to go around in public wearing my red record shirt because I'm so much less likely to run into someone who would recognise it. Plus I guess our national psychology prevents us from ever talking to any strangers in the street ever, so for all I know all I will ever get is a brief knowing glance and I'm totally fine with that.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Reene posted:

I admit I did laugh when an acquaintance of mine I had no idea was into Homestuck quipped "I warned you about stairs, bro," when I stumbled on a step and nearly bit it on the pavement outside their apartment.

Mostly because of this forum, but I knew about the SBaHJ stairs coming like a year before I found out it had anything to do with Homestuck, and it was a while longer before I finally read it.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
So, uh.

Is Davesprite dead? Deader, I suppose. He's been dead since the start.

(Dude's crazy cryptic)

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
All I know is John is turning into Karkat at a rapid pace.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh poo poo, I think they're both asleep.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
I miss derpy, happy-go-lucky John. :(

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Maybe Karkat will learn to love himself and his friends. I'd be OK with the two of them switching narrative roles.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ah, so John isn't just experiencing puberty, he's also gone completely loving crazy.

Good to know.

(What other watermark characters have we seen? Nick Cage at Vriska's death and Vriska at Hussie's death. Any more?)

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Wait, what the hell is going on? :psyduck:

Besides another picture of Dave SMILING

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
John is really coming down with cabin-fever.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
Also, red eye of the sun. A bit randomly ominous especially since we know a bit more about a red sun.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Bobulus posted:

(What other watermark characters have we seen? Nick Cage at Vriska's death and Vriska at Hussie's death. Any more?)

Snoop and the ICP come to mind.

Saradiart posted:

Also, red eye of the sun. A bit randomly ominous especially since we know a bit more about a red sun.

Pretty sure that's just LOHAC being LOHAC.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So far, ignoring Snoop and the ICP, those faces have represented someone dying. I'm not worried for Davesprite, but it looks like someone is in danger.

(Was there one of Bernie Lomax when the Bunny blew up? I don't recall)

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS

Walliard posted:

Pretty sure that's just LOHAC being LOHAC.

It is, but Hussie called it the "red eye of the sun" and implied there was some sort of importance to it being repeatedly shown throughout the comic.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

CuddlyZombie posted:

Wait, what the hell is going on? :psyduck:

Besides another picture of Dave SMILING

Well, until Jade said there's nobody there I assumed Davesprite was just sort of grinning down at them, non-shrunken. (The lands are all tiny and floating in some corridor on the battleship, remember.) Maybe it's just her bad eyesight because dog.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Huh, that's a thought. Strictly speaking, John is the ONLY pure human on the ship. Everyone else is either a game construct or someone crossed with a game construct.

What's the bets that upon reaching the meteor, he'll find regular Dave just as douchey?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm kinda worried that Watermark Character is going to be a harbinger of death. Like, this wouldn't be the first time that Hussie make a running gag a Thing.

- I would not guess Davesprite, since I think he still has more story to tell, but the clues are kinda pointing that way. He broke up with Jade (knew he was dying soon?), John talked about not knowing if sprites last that long, and now John is being a raving douche to Davesprite, making Davesprite's death extra-tragic.
- The meteor crew seems safe, since they still have flash updates to go, but I wouldn't put it past Hussie to introduce us to all the A1-trolls only for Lord English to show up and nuke the bubble again, with only a handful (Meenah, maybe Arania) surviving somehow.
- Jack and/or PM? I hope not.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

This seems like a good place to cliffhang for the next walkabout.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Yeah, something's not....right here.

Also where the hell is Nannasprite, come talk some sense into your poor grandson/son/ecto-whatever/player.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
John is a game construct, don't be mistaken. He originated in the game, both literally and causally.

Fake Edit: I'm not even sure he or anyone else in the story other than Dad(?) is classifiable as human, really.

Double Fake Edit: Discluding Fieri and ICP and Sassacre, of course.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Davesprite definitely deserves a beatdown, making fun of a dude's dead dad like that is just going too far, even if it's ironic.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Bongo Bill posted:

This seems like a good place to cliffhang for the next walkabout.

I was under the impression that Kickstarter backers of a certain tier would be able to beta test that a few days before it came out.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Yeah, everyone over $50. I am consequently checking my mail ever more anxiously the longer the wait for each new batch of pages lasts, but it evidently isn't time yet. (Incidentally, I'd suggest not discussing it in here beyond maybe saying "hey, only a few more days" once it does happen. Not everyone's backing the Kickstarter, so that would be unkind.)

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I dunno, to me the letter read more like a sort of douchey teen dude trying to cheer his friend up, rather than Davesprite trying to mock John's dad.

Davesprite posted:

my darling son
if you are reading this it means you finally came to your senses on a way lovely movie. by realizing cage sucks you have taken your first step towards not being a total embarrasssment to the egbert family name. speaking of which you might want to crack into one of my metric fuckign tons of shaving cream i have for some reason and bustthat nigh invisible teen stache before it starts to become a problem. egbert men dont cotton to whicskers as you know good and drat well. i didnt bust my fatherly rear end to raise no bigfoot. im proud as poo poo youre my son or whatever. next stop: figuring out mcconaughey is trash. you can do it junior.

Especially that "i'm proud as poo poo youre my son or whatever", that just reeks of a lovely and awkward attempt at telling John that his dad would have been proud of him, but hidden behind thinly veiled insults so as not to lose cool. And it's Dave, what does he know about normal family interactions?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Really? To me it read like the difference between Dave and Davesprite's relationships with John (at least in John's head, although maybe really). Using the notes felt kind of like a snarky insult, at the very least it's pretty thoughtless. If I were John, I'd be pretty insulted. That proud as poo poo bit in particular seemed derisive.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 19, 2012

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Reene posted:

I actually just moved back to Portland this summer, so there's a good chance you'll see me with one at some point, haha.

And drat, John is really hitting the angst train. Whoever it was that called this John's "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" phase was pretty much dead-on.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Tollymain posted:

Double Fake Edit: Discluding Fieri and ICP and Sassacre, of course.

I have my doubts about Sassacre, considering he's a meteor comet baby.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Renaissance Robot posted:

I have my doubts about Sassacre, considering he's a meteor comet baby.

No he isn't. Are you thinking of Jake?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Well, to be precise there's nothing so far to suggest that he is, so the simplest assumption is that he's just a human who came about in the ordinary way.

It could, for example, turn out that he and Dad (whose origins are pretty unclear - Nanna's statements on the matter suggest but do not explicitly confirm that B1 Dad was her son in the usual sense) are instead paradox clones of one of them, created in and sent back from the upcoming B2 session. Or something. But that's 100% speculation and maybe also kind of dumb?

(No, it's totally true, and furthermore there never were any actual ordinary humans because everyone is secretly a paradox clone and the whole idea of reproduction is a hilarious lie concocted and maintained over the ages by...)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm disappointed in you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm sure most of you already know this, but I love the hidden joke with Sassacre's death.

So Sassacre is a thinly-veiled reference to Mark Twain, right?

quote:

Twain was born during a visit by Halley's Comet, and he predicted that he would "go out with it" as well. He died the day following the comet's subsequent return.

Not only was his dog named Halley, but he did indeed die immediately after a comet meteor passed by him.