Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Tamba posted:

My Asus mainboard had some kind of adapter-thing. So you could plug all the little cables into it, then plug the whole thing into the mainboard.

Yeah mine also has that, Maximus vii hero or something. What a treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
They should just be a block connector. It would make things simpler 99% and more complicated the other 1%, which off the top of my head the only thing I can think of is adding a lock to your power switch.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
That little section of the mobo has been around since I was a kid. Some companies include that thing (which I always called a q adapter edit: Q connector, ASUS's name for them for some reason I cant remember) but as we've upgraded all the other connections I believe that little area is long overdue.

Also in recent years I've noticed that adapter going away :confused:, it seems very random to get one now.

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 26, 2015

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I still don't get why they've only come in banana yellow since the dawn of time... I'm a pretty princess and don't like little things messing up my two-tone color schemes.

Like, first world problems, but my ASRock Z170 ITX Gaming has a great red and black scheme for a change, (ASRock usually goes blue), then they go and leave white ram/gpu retainer clips on it.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Tamba posted:

My Asus mainboard had some kind of adapter-thing. So you could plug all the little cables into it, then plug the whole thing into the mainboard.

OK, my next motherboard is an Asus then.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Panty Saluter posted:

It seems to vary from model to model whether it includes this or not.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, I always buy their non-Deluxe/unnamed boards and I never got one of these.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

HalloKitty posted:

I'll take some chance over none at all. :rolldice:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You have to wonder if they would be compatible across boards? At least some of the time you'd think they have the same layout. Maybe you can find a block for cheap on ebay.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

VelociBacon posted:

You have to wonder if they would be compatible across boards? At least some of the time you'd think they have the same layout. Maybe you can find a block for cheap on ebay.

There are 2 common layouts for front panel.

The one asus uses and this one

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
I've had several Asus boards come with those little blocks, and my current Gigabyte board has one. Not sure why companies wouldn't do this to all their boards, makes the wiring a ton easier especially in cramped cases.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

So AT has an article up about Ashes and mixing GPUs, and it's pretty interesting. Hilariously it looks like 980 Ti and Fury X is beating the Ti/Titan X pair solidly, and same against a pair of Fury Xs.

Go team Christmas!

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Panty Saluter posted:

Gigabyte also do this.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

midge posted:

Gigabyte also do this.

Having to own a gigabyte motherboard is a pretty high price to pay for a minor convenience though.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

xthetenth posted:

So AT has an article up about Ashes and mixing GPUs, and it's pretty interesting. Hilariously it looks like 980 Ti and Fury X is beating the Ti/Titan X pair solidly, and same against a pair of Fury Xs.

Go team Christmas!

All that work and they didn't bother to test it against actual SLI and CF

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

midge posted:

Gigabyte also do this.

Not my Gigabyte board :saddowns: Then again it was the cheapest option available when I jumped the AMD ship...

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Panty Saluter posted:

Not my Gigabyte board :saddowns: Then again it was the cheapest option available when I jumped the AMD ship...

Mine didn't either and it isn't a "cheap" model. But it's not surprising to me that others would. In my admittedly limited experience they seem to be less common than a few years ago for whatever reason. I remember MSI including them off the top of my head. I wish you could just buy them but, at the end of the day, what's another 5 minutes for something you're very unlikely to touch for the life of the board.

It is definitely the most obnoxious thing to try to explain to a first time builder though.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Nooooooo, I missed socket A talk :(

There is no greater torture in this world, then trying to attach this loving heatsink. I got PTSD just from seeing "socket A' & "clips".

I'm 31, so I don't really have a frame of reference for building anything older then 486/early Pentium stuff so I'm not sure if it was even worse prior to those generations..but holy hell..

I don't miss bleeding at least once per build. Thin sharp as gently caress metal that hasn't been sanded/smoothed at all and I'm sticking my hands and fingers into a whole beige case full of em willy nilly..over and over.

Jumpers. gently caress JUMPERS, especially on things like IDE and SCSI drives where you'd need to pull the worlds smallest rubber band off the world's smallest pins, and then reinsert them a mm down the line like you were performing open heart surgery or something. God help you if you somehow dropped the BLACK rubber jumper on your carpet somewhere. Hope you had extras.

And of course, as mentioned, this awful awful designed by satan tension system:

Where you'd pray to the lord that while using all your weight to drive the flathead screwdriver straight down and into the latch it didn't somehow slip from oh I dunno know, being metal on metal friction and stab the ever loving christ out of your mobo. Evil, evil poo poo. I didn't switch to intel builds until the c2d days and it seemed like it became much easier at that point all around.

Now, as I push a button and a drive cage pops out via gravity I think to myself I BLED FOR THIS

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 26, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

xthetenth posted:

Go team Christmas!

Don Lapre posted:

Yea, that was super interesting. It would have been good to see real SLI/CF results, as well as DX12 results with matched cards since it looked like there were synchronization delays between the dissimilar cards too.

Really curiously though it seemed like the mixed Fury X + 980ti setup also had the best frame pacing out of any of the combinations. Way better than either the Fury X + Fury or the Titan X + 980ti, both of which had huge spikes in several spots that the mixed setup didn't have.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Anyone remember slot processors? Nothing like opening a case and seeing a N64-esque cartridge plugged into the motherboard.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

Really curiously though it seemed like the mixed Fury X + 980ti setup also had the best frame pacing out of any of the combinations. Way better than either the Fury X + Fury or the Titan X + 980ti, both of which had huge spikes in several spots that the mixed setup didn't have.
The inverse setup, GTX 980 Ti + Fury X, didn't fare as well either and was mixed with the GTX 980 Ti + Titan X, doing better at 2560x1440 and worse at 4K UHD. You think there may be something invovled with VRAM size or card capability? Maybe with the slower card leading, the faster doesn't outpace it or anything.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Don Lapre posted:

Anandtech posted:

Looking at performance from the perspective of overall performance gains, the extra performance we see here isn’t going to be chart-topping – an optimized SLI/CF setup can get better than 80% gains – but overall the data here confirms our earlier raw results: we’re actually seeing a significant uptick in performance with the mixed GPU setups.

Good enough comparison point for me.

Link to article for the interested: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9740/directx-12-geforce-plus-radeon-mgpu-preview

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Ha here we go, if you wanted to pay $12 for such a luxury

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-ASUS-12G05100030B-Q-CONNECTOR-KIT/dp/B00IAZHVCC

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Ashes is probably the most interesting tech demo in decades.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Zero VGS posted:

I still don't get why they've only come in banana yellow since the dawn of time... I'm a pretty princess and don't like little things messing up my two-tone color schemes.

Like, first world problems, but my ASRock Z170 ITX Gaming has a great red and black scheme for a change, (ASRock usually goes blue), then they go and leave white ram/gpu retainer clips on it.

Or, maybe, Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-Q-Connector-Kit-Black-/321887202441?hash=item4af1f8ec89:g:YKkAAOSwsLtVe6XA

$3.39, and in black, for all your motherboard color-matching needs.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 26, 2015

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Always important to consider your colour scheme when building a computer.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Or, maybe, Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-Q-Connector-Kit-Black-/321887202441?hash=item4af1f8ec89:g:YKkAAOSwsLtVe6XA

Noice

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

GrizzlyCow posted:

The inverse setup, GTX 980 Ti + Fury X, didn't fare as well either and was mixed with the GTX 980 Ti + Titan X, doing better at 2560x1440 and worse at 4K UHD. You think there may be something invovled with VRAM size or card capability? Maybe with the slower card leading, the faster doesn't outpace it or anything.

It seemed like the Nvidia cards were just universally not good at whatever synchronization operation is happening on the primary card. It's not just a Maxwell thing, either, since the Kepler based GTX680 was spectacularly bad at it when combined with the HD7970. So bad that it was a huge performance regression to run 680 + 7970 vs the healthy perf. increase from running 7970 + 680.

Which points to it likely being a driver thing, unsurprisingly.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Gwaihir posted:

It seemed like the Nvidia cards were just universally not good at whatever synchronization operation is happening on the primary card. It's not just a Maxwell thing, either, since the Kepler based GTX680 was spectacularly bad at it when combined with the HD7970. So bad that it was a huge performance regression to run 680 + 7970 vs the healthy perf. increase from running 7970 + 680.

Which points to it likely being a driver thing, unsurprisingly.

It might also be that AMD's design is lopsided in favor of what that engine wants from a lead card, so it does better there, while the 980 Ti has more power in the follower slot.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dead Goon posted:

Always important to consider your colour scheme when building a computer.
This but unironically.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

xthetenth posted:

It might also be that AMD's design is lopsided in favor of what that engine wants from a lead card, so it does better there, while the 980 Ti has more power in the follower slot.

Yea, but would that hold true across multiple generations of different architectures?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Could it just be faster memory? Composing results is going to be bandwidth intensive.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Maybe, the 7970 has much higher memory bandwidth than a GTX680. (288 GB/sec vs 192 GB/sec)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

12 hours ago I didn't even know these existed, and yet never before have I needed a $3 bit of plastic so badly.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Gwaihir posted:

Yea, but would that hold true across multiple generations of different architectures?

It's been said for years that AMD is far behind Nvidia in the driver department. If they've been making it upbarely hanging in there all this time through sheer hardware power, therefore in using an API that places more of the burden on the developer's engine optimization than driver-side tweaking for performance...

This is completely wild extrapolation on my part, but I think we're starting to see the AMD's endgame to take away Nvidia's driver advantage, maybe.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 26, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They haven't been making it up all this time, or they wouldn't have been losing.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

Well, the Radeon HD 7970 is GCN 1.0, so it could.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gwaihir posted:

AMD's architecture hasn't changed in 4 years.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Subjunctive posted:

They haven't been making it up all this time, or they wouldn't have been losing.

You're right, "making it up" was a poor choice of words. "barely hanging in there" is more correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Twerk from Home posted:

AMD's architecture hasn't changed in 4 years.

Sure it has - GCN 1.0 to 1.1 to 1.2 to 1.2 HBM.

Would giving each generation a funny name like NVIDIA or your favorite Linux distro make you happier?

Anyway they all have significant shared codebase, just like NVIDIA doesn't throw away and redesign the CUDA compute unit every time. There's still the different capability specs that need to be supported and optimized, any hardware glitches that need patched, and so on. It's probably less effort per architecture than NVIDIA does, true, but the drivers also aren't known for being optimized to the same level either.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 26, 2015