Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

respecting the right to free speech by disrespecting the right to free speech, all libertarians are dumb as posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Corvinus posted:

RealCuckTalk feels like someone's re-reg or sockpuppet.

it's jrodefeld :ssh:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

He definitely shares jrode's ability to just ignore a whole bunch of counter arguments and start a new post with "I'd like to talk about X"

Also it makes sense that JP is attracting a bunch of the libertarian set, what with his focus on the individual being the end all be all and absolutely refusing to acknowledge that society consists of various power structures.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

WampaLord posted:

He definitely shares jrode's ability to just ignore a whole bunch of counter arguments and start a new post with "I'd like to talk about X"

Also it makes sense that JP is attracting a bunch of the libertarian set, what with his focus on the individual being the end all be all and absolutely refusing to acknowledge that society consists of various power structures.

Also they're always up for someone who's able to put a pseudo-intellectual voice to their racism and misogyny at anything less than a foghorn.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

RealTalk posted:

I want to quickly return to the topic of Jordan Peterson for a second.

So the Post History button is broken so you'll have to tell me if you bothered to make any other posts in any other threads before dropping this one as soon as your probation ended.

Caros
May 14, 2008

RealTalk posted:

The question is simple. Should Peterson be allowed to speak in Portland or should they cave to pressure and cancel his appearance?

That is up to him. The Portland center that is hosting the meeting has made it clear they legally cannot cancel his appearance based on its content, though they can and will request additional funds to cover the increased security, as allowed by law.

Now here is the question back to you. Should these groups, groups who are vehemently opposed to the sort of bigotry that Peterson made his name from, be allowed to protest.

I ask that because your entire argument in this vein presupposes that the groups protesting him are something wrong. You are arguing that it is a negative that Peterson is being 'silenced' in this fashion, but in doing so, you're the same as them, aren't you? They are a group publicly protesting Jordan Peterson's speaking engagement. You are an rear end in a top hat publicly protesting their public protest, in effect claiming that we shouldn't 'allow' them to speak against him because it infringes on his free speech.

You do see the irony in claiming that a group shouldn't be allowed to protest someone, right? Of course not.

RealTalk posted:

I wanted to go back to the accusation that Peterson is a misogynist, a racist, or some other kind of hater.

Clearly a player hater, but go on.

quote:

I'm going to lay out a handful of propositions, and I want to know which ones are necessarily racist or sexist.

Oh, this ought to be good.

quote:

The current plight of black Americans has less to do with white racism than is commonly believed.

The wage gap between men and women can be rationally explained, at least in part, by factors other than male oppression and the patriarchy.

There are biological differences between men and women that explain in part disparate outcomes.

Affirmative action laws are counter-productive and not a good response to historical oppression of minorities.

Anti-discrimination laws violate the principle of freedom of association so they should be opposed.

Not all cultural values are equal, or equally compatible with liberal values and human prosperity.

Citing any scientific research, or even undertaking any scientific research, that indicates (or might indicate) any difference between races or groups of people.

So, in order:

"I don't think white people who enslaved black people and then forced generations of systemic racism onto them are entirely to blame."
":biotruths:"
"I don't think affirmative action is good because I'm white as gently caress and also I haven't studied anything on this subject but it just 'makes sense'."
"I am a racist/Rand Paul (whoops, tautology!)."
"White culture is the best and I want to be able to insult other cultures."
"I really want proof that white people are superior."

quote:

To my mind, none of the above propositions are necessarily bigoted. To be clear, I haven't heard Peterson articulate all of these views.

I want you to take a look at the difference between your list and my list. Now, while you're doing it I want you to try and understand something. What I typed, is what people hear when you say those things. Just like if I were to say "welfare queen" the mind goes to a black woman with twelve kids because of good old Ray-gun. All of your statements are basically the 'just asking questions' versions of racism or misogyny. They are a way for you to get bigoted ideas into the discussion while trying to seem rational, aloof and above it all. They are an entryway to discussing the flat out racist or misogynistic ideas without jumping head first into the pond.

Take your last idea, for example. No one would ever think that scientific research is ba... oh, wait. You aren't going to use that to cite one of the dozens of articles that talk about how there is essentially no significant difference in mental faculties based on race, but instead you're going to use it so that you can throw out the Bell Curve or other nonsense science that talk about how blacks are the worst.

Or your 'not all cultures are equal' idea. Well that seems fair, right? After all, the Acheminid Persian culture was probably much worse than modern day americ- oh, you're using that as a stepping stone to talk about how great 'white' culture is (even though it isn't actually 'white') and how we're the best civilization in the history of the world and that we should be allowed to feel culturally superior and hey, why should we let darkies into the country with their inferior culture.

You are trying to paint these suggestions as uncontroversial, but the issue is that we understand the follow-up is a doorway to 'women suck, immigrants suck and gee aren't white men the best?'

quote:

I've heard people like MIchael Eric Dyson (who famously called Peterson "a mad, mean white man") say that denying racism is the new racism. To be more clearly stated, if you think the currently problem of white racism against blacks is less of a problem that other people claim, that makes you a racist.

The guy from terminator?

And yeah, he's kind of right. To quote MLK:

"First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season."

Shallow understanding from people of goodwill is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection."

We've reached a point in our society where, for the most part, you can't be a full on hooded Klansmen in most (but certainly not all) places. The outright racism of the 60's has given rise to the quiet racism we have today, where the issue isn't that we 'hate' people with darker skinned. We're just aware that they are 'thugs'. We call the police on them, or shoot them because they have the most dangerous skittles imaginable. Racism is still very much there, in america, but since there aren't hordes in hoods marching (mostly) these days, it is easy for fucknuts like you to try and pretend that racism is over. It isn't. And your denial of such an obvious fact is a sort of racism in itself.

Of course, if I'm being honest, I don't think you actually fall into this group. Judging by your posts in this thread so far I fully believe you look down on and/or flat out hate black people. You're more of a Racist Classic.

quote:

In a similar way, if you criticize contemporary feminism for it's excesses, you are a misogynist.

I don't actually believe this. Tons of people criticize feminism just fine. Yes, people on the radical 'all sex is rape' fringe, can and will call you names, but in any sort of normal discussion you only really get called out for being a misogynist when you say misogynistic things. Like Jordan Peterson has and does.

quote:

I think this is all silly. The sacred value for people on the left is equality and any data that points out human differences that would account for disparate outcome is seen as a fundamental threat to this value.

It doesn't at all matter how scientifically valid the empirical data is.

I need a bigger :biotruths:

So, just to be clear, you're white, aren't you? You're a white, white boy (like me) who has never experienced any real form of discrimination. The very idea of your life being harder because of your skin color is so foreign to you that you can't even process the idea, and your lovely, underdeveloped sense of empathy prevents you from understanding that all people are not you.

quote:

I always wonder about the motivations behind labeling people as "racist", "misogynist", or some other form of hater. For the most part, the purpose seems to be to make a person toxic enough that they'll be de-platformed and ostracized from the public debate. It's a tactic to silence that person.

No, the purpose is to inform others. No one has ever been silenced by accusations that they are a racist. David Duke is still out singing a jaunty tune about how great the Klan is, and there are still people willing to listen. Jordan Peterson is on his personal tour of how great men are and how women need to get back in the kitchen, and he isn't getting shut up.

When I call you a racist, it is for two purposes. One is to just maybe, just maaaaaybe make you stop and think about what you're saying. The other is to point out to any unconvinced third party in this debate (of which there are probably about zero, but still) that your ideas are wrongheaded, bigoted and evil.

quote:

I've never heard a progressive say "While I think this conservative or libertarian has a blind spot on the issue of race, their other ideas are interesting and worth discussing."

Sure this guy thinks that black people are inferior to white people, but lets have a talk about welfare reform.

It isn't a blindspot you disingenuous gently caress.

quote:

I will concede that some of the statements I mentioned earlier could be used as subterfuge to conceal actual bigotry towards women or minorities. But by the same token, I know of individual people who have accepted one or more of those propositions while not being the slightest bit bigoted.

Are. Not could.

Sure you do.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

What is Peterson's position on trans people?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

RealTalk posted:

I want to quickly return to the topic of watermelons for a second.

(why are you people engaging further)

Dukemont
Aug 17, 2005
chocolate microscopes

Anticheese posted:

The whole reason he’s popular is because of his opposition to a bill protecting trans people from discrimination.

He does not like them, to say the least.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Pretty much exactly what I expected. I also expect there to be a bunch of horrible poo poo about his "male order / feminine chaos" paradigm that may leak out on the subject. :sigh:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

divabot posted:

(why are you people engaging further)

Same reason we spent so much time talking to Jrod: We are all supremely damaged sadcases. Err, I mean enjoy debate and mockery. We all enjoy debate and mockery.
*looks left and right in mild panic*

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Anticheese posted:

Pretty much exactly what I expected. I also expect there to be a bunch of horrible poo poo about his "male order / feminine chaos" paradigm that may leak out on the subject. :sigh:

He literally got famous for bragging about misgendering trans students in his classroom to stick it to the evil government.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

RealTalk posted:

I've never heard a progressive say "While I think this conservative or libertarian has a blind spot on the issue of race, their other ideas are interesting and worth discussing.

That's cause they usually aren't.

Caros
May 14, 2008

fishmech posted:

He literally got famous for bragging about misgendering trans students in his classroom to stick it to the evil government.

Actually, that is a pretty good point.

Hey RealTalk, here is a blatant example of JP being an intentional bigot solely because he can. Do you care?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Oh man, Rationalwiki has some good entries on Peterson:

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Jordan_Peterson

He loves him some pseudoscience, he sure does.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Anticheese posted:

being minimally polite to them will lead inevitably to communist death camps

I'm not kidding

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

I don't want to talk about carnal knowledge of the sweet fruit of the Citrullus lanatus flowering vine, but unfortunately we must now address it.

RealTalk, do you gently caress watermelons...
 🍉  for pleasure?
 🍉  to reassure yourself in your worth?
 🍉  all of the above?
 🍉  or for other reasons as well? (If so, please specify.)

Like I said, I don't want to talk about this important issue, but my hand has been forced. We must now return to it for clarity and transparency. To do otherwise would be intellectually dishonest and also oppressive of free speech. Ignoring this would be suppression of open debate on this vital matter.

Thanks for your serious consideration,

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

CommieGIR posted:

Lol JP doesn't know the difference between a caduceus and an asclepius. Like that's an extremely common thing to get wrong and isn't something to be super ashamed of unless you're constantly rambling on about mythical archetypes like you're some kinda loving expert or something.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

So RealTalk, what do you think of the NFL's decision to fine teams if their players exercise their freedom of speech to kneel during the national anthem in order to make a political statement about the treatment of black people in America?

RealTalk
May 20, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Caros posted:

That is up to him. The Portland center that is hosting the meeting has made it clear they legally cannot cancel his appearance based on its content, though they can and will request additional funds to cover the increased security, as allowed by law.

Now here is the question back to you. Should these groups, groups who are vehemently opposed to the sort of bigotry that Peterson made his name from, be allowed to protest.

I ask that because your entire argument in this vein presupposes that the groups protesting him are something wrong. You are arguing that it is a negative that Peterson is being 'silenced' in this fashion, but in doing so, you're the same as them, aren't you? They are a group publicly protesting Jordan Peterson's speaking engagement. You are an rear end in a top hat publicly protesting their public protest, in effect claiming that we shouldn't 'allow' them to speak against him because it infringes on his free speech.

You do see the irony in claiming that a group shouldn't be allowed to protest someone, right? Of course not.

Motherfucker, you are misunderstanding me (perhaps intentionally).

I am not saying that the Portland protesters don't have the legal right to protest. They have the right to protest up until they use actual physical violence or threats of violence if they don't get their way. Which is, by the way, usually an explicit or implicit threat by these sorts of protesters. This implicit threat of violence is conceded by assuming that the Portland center will request additional security if they follow through with the event.

If there was no threat from protesters violently disrupting the event, then there'd be no need for additional security.

More than this though, I'm criticizing the value-judgment implicit in protests whose goal is to get a venue to cancel the speaking appearance of someone like Peterson. This indicates that the protesters don't value free speech and free discussion, which to my mind is a worrying trend.

Caros posted:

Clearly a player hater, but go on.

Oh, this ought to be good.

So, in order:

"I don't think white people who enslaved black people and then forced generations of systemic racism onto them are entirely to blame."
"I don't think affirmative action is good because I'm white as gently caress and also I haven't studied anything on this subject but it just 'makes sense'."
"I am a racist/Rand Paul (whoops, tautology!)."
"White culture is the best and I want to be able to insult other cultures."
"I really want proof that white people are superior."

I want you to take a look at the difference between your list and my list. Now, while you're doing it I want you to try and understand something. What I typed, is what people hear when you say those things. Just like if I were to say "welfare queen" the mind goes to a black woman with twelve kids because of good old Ray-gun. All of your statements are basically the 'just asking questions' versions of racism or misogyny. They are a way for you to get bigoted ideas into the discussion while trying to seem rational, aloof and above it all. They are an entryway to discussing the flat out racist or misogynistic ideas without jumping head first into the pond.

Take your last idea, for example. No one would ever think that scientific research is ba... oh, wait. You aren't going to use that to cite one of the dozens of articles that talk about how there is essentially no significant difference in mental faculties based on race, but instead you're going to use it so that you can throw out the Bell Curve or other nonsense science that talk about how blacks are the worst.

Or your 'not all cultures are equal' idea. Well that seems fair, right? After all, the Acheminid Persian culture was probably much worse than modern day americ- oh, you're using that as a stepping stone to talk about how great 'white' culture is (even though it isn't actually 'white') and how we're the best civilization in the history of the world and that we should be allowed to feel culturally superior and hey, why should we let darkies into the country with their inferior culture.

You are trying to paint these suggestions as uncontroversial, but the issue is that we understand the follow-up is a doorway to 'women suck, immigrants suck and gee aren't white men the best?'

The point I'm trying to make is that the spectrum of reasonable discussions is artificially constricted because of people like you who make unreasonable leaps in logic. None of these claims are necessarily racist, but you insist that anyone who utters them really mean something more sinister. They are dog whistling racists, supposedly. Or you know all of the hidden motivations behind people who say seemingly innocuous things.

What good does it do for society to infer that anyone questioning the wisdom of affirmative action policies is necessarily a racist? There are a lot of reasonable arguments to be made about all of these topics, and people can have good-faith disagreements on many of them.

Not according to you.

You're quite certain that, to a man, every person who goes anywhere near one of these topics is a horrible bigot dog-whistling to Klansmen who probably has a white hood in his closet.

The only reason I'm bringing any of this stuff up is that I believe it is facile but egregiously wrong to slap the label misogynist and bigot on Jordan Peterson and pretend that he's the same as an avowed white nationalist like Richard Spencer.

I'm pointing out that the way you define who is and is not a bigot, is foundationally flawed and disingenuous.

You know very well that none of these statements are inherently racist, but it's just more convenient for you to fill in the missing gaps with your own projections so you can smear your intellectual opponents.

Caros posted:

The guy from terminator?

And yeah, he's kind of right. To quote MLK:

"First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season."

Shallow understanding from people of goodwill is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection."

We've reached a point in our society where, for the most part, you can't be a full on hooded Klansmen in most (but certainly not all) places. The outright racism of the 60's has given rise to the quiet racism we have today, where the issue isn't that we 'hate' people with darker skinned. We're just aware that they are 'thugs'. We call the police on them, or shoot them because they have the most dangerous skittles imaginable. Racism is still very much there, in america, but since there aren't hordes in hoods marching (mostly) these days, it is easy for fucknuts like you to try and pretend that racism is over. It isn't. And your denial of such an obvious fact is a sort of racism in itself.

Of course, if I'm being honest, I don't think you actually fall into this group. Judging by your posts in this thread so far I fully believe you look down on and/or flat out hate black people. You're more of a Racist Classic.

Well, by your own admission roughly 98% of all conservatives or libertarians are racist, so I guess I'd have to be one right?

It's also funny how you know SO much about someone after a dozen posts on an anonymous message board that you feel comfortable confidently labeling them grotesque bigots. Or, to use your words, "Judging by your posts in this thread so far I fully believe you look down on and/or flat out hate black people."

Have we even loving TALKED about black people?! I thought we were talking about Jordan Peterson, whether or not he is a misogynist and whether or not the politically-correct Left are a threat to free speech?

My series of questions was merely intended to ascertain what criteria you use to decide that someone or some view is bigoted, and just how rigorous and precise that process is.

This is called a dialectic process and it would be wrong to infer that I even believed all of these hypothetical questions.

Where exactly did I say that I thought racism doesn't exist? Oh right, nowhere.

Racism certainly exists, and it has manifested itself among the ethno-nationalist Alt-Right. I think the white nationalist neo-Nazi movement is a genuine problem but I think that they are smaller in number and have less influence that you imagine that they do. And it is ludicrous to count someone like Jordan Peterson among their ranks, or even insinuate that there is some sort of moral equivalency between the two.

I agree with the principle of individual sovereignty and individual rights. Outdated and racially-biased laws such as the war on drugs ought to be abolished. In fact, there are many laws and institutions that disproportionately harm minorities. For these and other reasons, they ought to be rescinded.

I even believe in reparations for slavery, since true justice would require it.

But I'm not so foolish as to assert that someone who opposes reparations is necessarily a bigot. I'm not trying to call people names, I'm trying to have an in-depth discussion where many points-of-view are considered.

Is this your mode of debate? Making unwarranted leaps-of-logic to infer the darkest motivations for the views of someone you don't even loving know?

Childish doesn't begin to describe it.

Caros posted:

I don't actually believe this. Tons of people criticize feminism just fine. Yes, people on the radical 'all sex is rape' fringe, can and will call you names, but in any sort of normal discussion you only really get called out for being a misogynist when you say misogynistic things. Like Jordan Peterson has and does.

Ah, so you concede feminism can go too far and that criticizing that excess doesn't make a person a misogynist.

Why can you concede this point without considering whether someone like Michael Eric Dyson might go to excess in chalking up more to racism and white privilege than is warranted?

Why can you recognize that a rational person could criticize feminism without also understanding that a rational person could take issue with affirmative action without being a bigot?

Caros posted:

I need a bigger :biotruths:

So, just to be clear, you're white, aren't you? You're a white, white boy (like me) who has never experienced any real form of discrimination. The very idea of your life being harder because of your skin color is so foreign to you that you can't even process the idea, and your lovely, underdeveloped sense of empathy prevents you from understanding that all people are not you.

No, it's not foreign to me and I can certainly "process" the idea. People have an easier or harder life than other people on a wide variety of metrics. And some people are discriminated against more because of their race than others. However, I don't believe that assuming collective privilege to white people as a group or assuming collective victim-hood status to blacks because of their group is the proper way to deal with this self-evident fact.

Your not going to start telling me that I'm not allowed an opinion on certain topics because of my skin color, are you? Nothing racist about that.

Caros posted:

No, the purpose is to inform others. No one has ever been silenced by accusations that they are a racist. David Duke is still out singing a jaunty tune about how great the Klan is, and there are still people willing to listen. Jordan Peterson is on his personal tour of how great men are and how women need to get back in the kitchen, and he isn't getting shut up.

When I call you a racist, it is for two purposes. One is to just maybe, just maaaaaybe make you stop and think about what you're saying. The other is to point out to any unconvinced third party in this debate (of which there are probably about zero, but still) that your ideas are wrongheaded, bigoted and evil.

Personally, I think to do it because you get off on being an rear end in a top hat. I get it, there is a certain fleeting joy in assuming the un-earned moral high-ground. Certain types of progressives seem to take great pleasure in smearing people as racists.

But you're wrong. You don't point out to unconvinced third parties that my ideas are wrongheaded by smearing me as a racist. That would require actual arguments that are based on what I've actually said, rather that baseless inferences on what you imagine the secret motivations behind what I say are.

What you're actually trying to do is to convince third parties that I'm a terrible person because of the label you assigned to me. Nobody actually listens to the arguments of a racist, anyway. That is the entire goal is smearing decent people as bigots. It's a tactic designed to deflect attention from the arguments being offered.

Caros posted:

Sure this guy thinks that black people are inferior to white people, but lets have a talk about welfare reform.

It isn't a blindspot you disingenuous gently caress.

Okay, so Jordan Peterson has been assigned the label "misogynist" by Caros.

That means that Caros is utterly incapable of finding anything worthwhile or helpful in Peterson's lectures, his books or his interviews.

You are simultaneously saying that you cannot "look past" bigotry and engage bigots in an good-faith exchange of ideas or find value in their other work AND you are saying that 98% of all conservatives and libertarians are bigots.

This means you have literally closed your mind off to all non-Leftist thinking. Do you think this makes you a well-rounded person, intellectually speaking?

Maybe this is the difference between me and you.

I voraciously read the work of Leftist that I admire. I love Noam Chomsky, Jeremy Scahill and Glenn Greenwald. I like Cornel West and Chris Hedges. I liked Jill Stein enough to vote for her over Gary Johnson.

Still, I abhor the values of socialism and radical egalitarianism. I would consider the teaching of communism, or sympathy toward communism in a public space to be as offensive as speech by a white nationalist.

But I wouldn't try and shut down their speech. I wouldn't try and defame the character of the speaker by labeling them a bigot, unless the evidence is overwhelming.

RealTalk fucked around with this message at 11:00 on May 28, 2018

RealTalk
May 20, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Caros posted:

Actually, that is a pretty good point.

Hey RealTalk, here is a blatant example of JP being an intentional bigot solely because he can. Do you care?

I care that you actually don't do any loving research before shooting your mouth off about subjects you know nothing about. But why spend all of five minutes learning the first thing about someone when you could spend that time calling them a racist?

Jordan Peterson has said repeatedly that he will happily use the preferred pro-noun of a trans person if asked. If not asked, he will use the pro-noun most appropriate given the way the person presents "himself/herself, etc".

His objection has nothing to do with hating trans people. He is not willing to concede the linguistic territory to (in his words) radical Leftists who use trans people to push an entirely different agenda that he opposes. The legislation in Canada could be seen as constituting compelled speech laws, which have never happened before in the history of English common law.

Even if you disagree that the legislation constitutes compelled speech, that is Peterson's contention. He thinks legislation like this sets a bad precedent.

To construe his opposition to bill C-16 as being motivated by personal hatred of trans people is so stupid as to defy belief.

It's not like he hasn't answered this question dozens of times in interviews.

Is it really such a shock that someone could oppose or support something based on a principle?

The ACLU has repeatedly defended Nazi speech and opposed hate speech laws. Did they do this because they are a white supremacist organization? No, they took these actions because the principle underlying it, freedom of speech, was important.

If the ACLU is not bigoted for supporting free speech, why is Jordan Peterson a bigot for supporting free speech?

RealTalk
May 20, 2018

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

So RealTalk, what do you think of the NFL's decision to fine teams if their players exercise their freedom of speech to kneel during the national anthem in order to make a political statement about the treatment of black people in America?

Two things.

First, NFL games have been re-purposed as military propaganda for a couple of decades now. It's disgraceful and I don't believe they should play the national anthem at any sporting event, period. For that reason I support the players who kneel for the anthem. We should get all the military symbolism, recruitment and sponsorship out of sports

With that said, sports stadiums are private property and the NFL is a business. So the owners have a right to require certain behavior from their employees. This doesn't mean that I agree with their position, but they have the right to stipulate that the players stand.

Since football is a business, owners have some responsibility to tailor their product to consumer desires. Overt political statements, even correct ones, that turn off most viewers could be reasonably curbed if only to maintain a profitable business model.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

RealTalk posted:

I am not saying that the Portland protesters don't have the legal right to protest. They have the right to protest up until they use actual physical violence or threats of violence if they don't get their way. Which is, by the way, usually an explicit or implicit threat by these sorts of protesters. This implicit threat of violence is conceded by assuming that the Portland center will request additional security if they follow through with the event.

If there was no threat from protesters violently disrupting the event, then there'd be no need for additional security.

More than this though, I'm criticizing the value-judgment implicit in protests whose goal is to get a venue to cancel the speaking appearance of someone like Peterson. This indicates that the protesters don't value free speech and free discussion, which to my mind is a worrying trend.

Your argument basically belies its point- since almost any protest action could be said to have an implicit threat of violence, you can use that to shut down any protest. Speech is a flexible thing, in my view, and includes protest, not just tiresome, pedantic debates between talking heads where the result is "X DEMOLISHES Y WITH FACTS" youtube videos that are quite literally just there for cheerleading purposes.

I make the argument that no one really values free speech and free discussion, because those aren't human values. They're just bludgeons we use at each other when something happens materially that we don't want to happen. They're means to an end. I could just as easily say that private property is a threat to free speech as private ownership of the means of communication in society is in fact inherently anti-free speech as a right. For example:

quote:

Since football is a business, owners have some responsibility to tailor their product to consumer desires. Overt political statements, even correct ones, that turn off most viewers could be reasonably curbed if only to maintain a profitable business model.

This is an argument against free speech. It's couched in different language, but this is a very effective curb on someone's freedom of speech and expression. This is an argument that could be turned against a venue that hosts Jordan Peterson, for example. Maybe people in Portland don't want to see an overt political statement by Jordan Peterson.

Also, individual sovereignty is an argument for rich and powerful individuals to have more power. The reason for this is that the usefulness of 'sovereignty' is very dependent on how much sovereign holdings you have. A person with very little sovereign holdings gains nothing. Even in the Westphalian system of nations, many nations had much, much more soverignty than others in real terms.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

not seeing a lot of watermelons here, please stay on topic

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

RealTalk posted:

Melonfucker, you of all people do not get to curse at Caros.

Dukemont
Aug 17, 2005
chocolate microscopes
Jrod, your “ideas” are poo poo and have been thoroughly debunked in this thread many times over by various posters. They have absolutely no merit.

Nobody in this thread gives a gently caress about private property and any “rights” regarding it.

also JP is definitely racist and misogynist

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

RealTalk posted:

Remember kids, free speech is sacrosanct unless I can come up with some reason for why I'd need to station one more rent-a-cop somewhere on the venue.

Real funny how this dude still continues to be super anti-free speech in practise.

Caros
May 14, 2008

RealTalk posted:

Oooh, did I poke a nerve? I feel like I poked a nerve.

Part of the reason arguing with you and poking holes in your arguments is so entertainingly easy is that you are ignorant as poo poo Neo-Jrod. You clearly didn't understand the situation with Coulter, and you clearly don't understand the situation with Peterson. At no point did anyone involved with the counter-protest, a protest group that literally named themselves "Humans Against Hate" by the way, threaten violence. There is no implicit, nor explicit threat of violence against Peterson, and the only extra security I mentioned is the same extra security that the portland legally required at any large public protest.

If these people were holding a parade, the city would be compelled to provide the same amount of extra security, you dimwit.

The rest of your argument is equally facile. Protesting against a speaker is an aspect of the american experience going back to the founding of the loving republic. That poo poo goes back to Rome, back to Greece. I'm sure Cavemen shouted when the dumbest motherfucker got up and started saying that the women really belonged in caves. There is nothing wrong with a community coming together to say that they don't want a bigoted piece of trash to come to their community to try and sell his stupid book and idiot ideology.

Your whole argument appears to be that Free Speech (for white people) is uber alles, that at no point can anyone, anywhere try and stop some racist motherfucker from spreading his racist motherfucking ideology. I mean, if a straight up Nazi, say, Richard Spencer wanted to give a speech about how great it would be if we lived in white ethnostate, you'd support his right to say that in a public space, over the right of the community to shout him down and say 'no, we don't think that is cool.'

quote:

The point I'm trying to make is that the spectrum of reasonable discussions is artificially constricted because of people like you who make unreasonable leaps in logic. None of these claims are necessarily racist, but you insist that anyone who utters them really mean something more sinister. They are dog whistling racists, supposedly. Or you know all of the hidden motivations behind people who say seemingly innocuous things.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and spends a lot of time reciting Mien Kampf with it's fellow ducks...

Look, you've come into this thread defending a guy who made his name being a bigot to transgender folk. You defend Ann Coulter, Milo and a ton of other fucks who are fascist or fascist adjacent. Then you post a loving list of fascist/misogynist/bigoted talking points and say "Well, can't we all agree that there is nothing inherently wrong with these." Yes, we can all agree that 'technically' it is fine to wonder whether affirmative action works, and to study it, even. But when it comes from the mouth of a guy whose only contribution so far has been to cry about how some of the worst people in the entire loving world are being prohibited from speaking, you have to admit that it comes across pretty loving suspicious.

quote:

What good does it do for society to infer that anyone questioning the wisdom of affirmative action policies is necessarily a racist? There are a lot of reasonable arguments to be made about all of these topics, and people can have good-faith disagreements on many of them.

Not according to you.

You're quite certain that, to a man, every person who goes anywhere near one of these topics is a horrible bigot dog-whistling to Klansmen who probably has a white hood in his closet.

Not anyone. There are plenty of people I trust to discuss affirmative action policies. You are not one of them, because if we're all being honest here, I guarantee I know what your position on them is, and that it isn't based in rational argument, but in the same sort of nonsense you've been spewing so far. I also don't want to know Ann Coulter's position on child rearing, or Jordan Peterson's position on male hygiene, because I can assume they are probably suitably horrific.

You do not get the benefit of the doubt after coming in here going "Isn't it too bad people are so mean to these horrible people?"

quote:

The only reason I'm bringing any of this stuff up is that I believe it is facile but egregiously wrong to slap the label misogynist and bigot on Jordan Peterson and pretend that he's the same as an avowed white nationalist like Richard Spencer.

It isn't egregious you disingenuous gently caress. Peterson's history of misogyny is an established fact in this thread until you raise an argument against it. I threw a bunch of quotes at you. Others did as well. The man literally came to fame by insulting transgender students, something he continues to do. You have ignored every example we've provided, even going so far as to try and handwave links to his actual twitter, as if you couldn't be sure it was him.

I know you don't want him to be a bad person, but wishing does not make it so. Until you actually come to terms with that, this is a really hard discussion to have, but you know what, lets throw down:

Here he is claiming that an investigation into sexual abuse at 55 universities was a 'witch' (or warlock) hunt. That list quadrupled by 2017, by the way, and led to numerous substantive changes that protected students when their universities attempted to cover up rape on campus.

Here he is claiming that the well understood epidemic of campus rape probably isn't real.

Isn't it funny that we want people to understand consent? Jordan Peterson thinks it is.

Just him pointing out that California might make it illegal to have sex with someone who can't consent. I'm sure he has no agenda at all.

Hey, remember that video from 2014? The one where a woman just walks through NYC and gets harassed 108 times. Jordan Peterson thinks, eh, maybe that is just attention. Nothing wrong with it, amirite?

Women are harassed more online? Apparently JP thinks it is a consequence of increased 'neuroticism' that is a characteristic of women. Which is also why they're so mean to each other, apparently.

After all, men cannot protect themselves in any effective manner against truly crazy women

Does he mean his dick?

I can literally throw over a hundred links from his twitter alone of him saying stupid, bigoted things about how women are biologically predisposed to be 'submissive', or how campus rape isn't a real thing, or how women support muslims because they want to be dominated by 'powerful men'. This is a man who literally hates the movie Frozen because of it's message. You know, the message of delivering oneself, not needing a man and generally female empowerment?

This is an actual exchange from a grown man who is a professor posted:

In your new book 12 Rules For Life, you’re very critical of Frozen. Why do you call it “deeply propagandistic”? It attempted to write a modern fable that was a counter-narrative to a classic story like, let’s say, Sleeping Beauty — but with no understanding whatsoever of the underlying archetypal dynamics. You could say that Sleeping Beauty was raised out of her unconsciousness via a delivering male. Another way of reading the story is that unconsciousness requires active consciousness as an antidote. And the unconsciousness is symbolized in that particular story by femininity and active consciousness by masculinity. I could hardly sit through Frozen. There was an attempt to craft a moral message and to build the story around that, instead of building the story and letting the moral message emerge. It was the subjugation of art to propaganda, in my estimation.

Not just a lovely story about sisterhood? No, not just a lovely story about sisterhood. No, ‘fraid not. No, you don’t spend tens of millions of dollars on a carefully crafted narrative that’s just a lovely story unless that’s what you’re trying to tell. That isn’t what the people who made Frozen were trying to tell. Not in my estimation.

You regard it as more propagandistic than say, The Little Mermaid? Those other movies are based on folktales that are maybe — some of those folktales have been traced back 13,000 years.

Aren’t we allowed to make up new stories? Not for political reasons.

Who gets to choose what’s propaganda? I mean, they’re Disney movies. None of them are super subtle. Well, that’s a good question. I wrote a whole book, Maps of Meaning, about that. It’s about 500 pages long, and it’s an attempt to answer that really complicated question. A properly balanced story provides an equal representation of the negative and positive attributes of I could say the world, but it’s actually a being. Harry Potter’s a good example. So Harry’s the hero, right. But he’s tainted with evil. There’s a dark and a light in every bit of that narrative. It’s well balanced. And in the propagandistic story, you don’t see that. You see the darkness all being in one place and the light all being in one place.

Isn’t the darkness and the light in Elsa, who has the power to freeze things, for good or ill? The most propagandistic element of Frozen was the transformation of the prince at the beginning of the story who was a perfectly good guy, into a villain with no character development whatsoever about three-quarters of the way to the ending.

He was a villain the whole time! He was a wolf in sheep’s clothing! That’s how it turned out in the end, but there was no indication of that at the beginning.

The man is literally upset that a Disney film has a duplicitous male badguy, and that the heroine isn't saved by a man. That isn't my assumption either, here is a quote from his AMA:

quote:

Frozen served a political purpose: to demonstrate that a woman did not need a man to be successful. Anything written to serve a political purpose (rather than to explore and create) is propaganda, not art.

Frozen was propaganda, pure and simple. Beauty and the Beast (the animated version) was not.

Here is a video of him whining about a children's film because it had the temerity to tell a story where women were the good guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6CsGY8wpGw&t=730s

Going to quote it one more time:

quote:

One of the motifs in frozen is you know, the classic idea that the sleeping beauty needs a prince to awaken her is absurd and old fashioned, and that there are alternative ways to travel through life, that don't require the subjugation that that particular story might appear to entail.

The frozen thing gets a pretty sizable chunk in his most well known book as well, but I think the youtube clip I've quoted summarizes it pretty well. Jordan Peterson cannot envision a story in which a woman just takes care of herself without a man. What the gently caress else do you call that?

Bonus Round!!!

One last thing before I continue on. Do you know who Stefan Molyneux is? He's another enormous piece of poo poo 'philosopher', one I mention in the OP of the thread. Well one thing I learned while looking up some of the rest of this, is that, shockingly, him and JP seem to be best buddies. I've included, for example, a link of them both lamenting how awful and sad it is that IQ just doesn't appear to be equal between races. Molyneux also has pretty sizable issues with women, by which I mean, he repeatedly calls women whores and blames them for the upcoming death of our species because they just won't stop loving stupid men. Now, I'm not necessarily a guilt by association sort, but JP goes on his show quite a bit, and if there is one thing I've learned in the last... yeesh, nearly a decade, it is anyone who is a repeat guest on Molyneux's show tends to be among the worst humanity has to offer. Just food for thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF8F7tjmy_U

quote:

I'm pointing out that the way you define who is and is not a bigot, is foundationally flawed and disingenuous.

You know very well that none of these statements are inherently racist, but it's just more convenient for you to fill in the missing gaps with your own projections so you can smear your intellectual opponents.

By using facts? As I've pointed out above in frankly exhausting detail, I'm not just pulling this out of a hat. The man has a long and public history of egregious and bigoted statements against women. No, he isn't out there calling women sluts or physically attacking them, or anything like that, but his misogyny is pretty much undeniable for any rational person. What Peterson wants is the 1950's that wasn't, back when Men were Men and Women were Women and your wife knew to have dinner ready at 5:00 when you got home. You know, the way things were 'meant' to be.

That is offensive, it is wrong, and frankly, it is dangerous. The men who are taking up his message are people like the Incels, or the MRA's, they are people who need a positive male role model that can help them find a way to fit into a society where men are no longer 'dominant' by virtue of their gender. They aren't getting that, and I think it is fine for people to tell him to gently caress right off.

quote:

Well, by your own admission roughly 98% of all conservatives or libertarians are racist, so I guess I'd have to be one right?

You're certainly not convincing me otherwise. Your continued defense of the reprehensible and your abuse of talking points intended to segue the conversation into openly talking about bigoted opinions is certainly suggestive.

quote:

It's also funny how you know SO much about someone after a dozen posts on an anonymous message board that you feel comfortable confidently labeling them grotesque bigots. Or, to use your words, "Judging by your posts in this thread so far I fully believe you look down on and/or flat out hate black people."

Have we even loving TALKED about black people?! I thought we were talking about Jordan Peterson, whether or not he is a misogynist and whether or not the politically-correct Left are a threat to free speech?

You've defended multiple white supremacists and used talking points (such as the affirmative action nonsense) that are part and parcel of the toolkit used by people who generally hate african-americans. What else am I to believe?

To be honest, you argued earlier that 'hey, maybe we could find some common ground with people who have a 'blindspot' for race'. Well the problem I'm having with you is that so far, the only opinions you've expressed, apart from being anti-war (which is great) have been bad ones. When 95% of your posting is defending the undefendable like skeletor in a blonde wig Ms. Coulter, I find it really hard to associate you with anything other than what you've been posting.

quote:

My series of questions was merely intended to ascertain what criteria you use to decide that someone or some view is bigoted, and just how rigorous and precise that process is.

This is called a dialectic process and it would be wrong to infer that I even believed all of these hypothetical questions.

Actually, it is called begging the question. Look at all these reasonable positions I'm posting that all happen to be dog-whistle arguments used by racists. Aren't these positions reasonable? WHAT!? You don't think they are!? You scoundrel!

quote:

Where exactly did I say that I thought racism doesn't exist? Oh right, nowhere.

Is it possible that jews have big noses because air is free? What? Why is everyone looking at me like I'm a racist. I didn't say they did, I just asked the question. You literally posted: "The current plight of black Americans has less to do with white racism than is commonly believed." as a possible starting point for an argument. Either one of two things is true:

1. You believe that question has any sort of merit at all.
2. You posted the question despite agreeing that it was without merit.

If it is the latter, you were arguing in bad faith. If it is the former you are a complete loving moron without two eyes in your goddamn skull. Sorry I assumed you were dumb rather than just arguing in bad faith.

quote:

Racism certainly exists, and it has manifested itself among the ethno-nationalist Alt-Right. I think the white nationalist neo-Nazi movement is a genuine problem but I think that they are smaller in number and have less influence that you imagine that they do. And it is ludicrous to count someone like Jordan Peterson among their ranks, or even insinuate that there is some sort of moral equivalency between the two.

Why? They certainly do. SPLC counts Molyneux as an Alt-Righter (and he is), and Peterson has appeared on his show upwards of ten times that I can see. The alt-right in general adore him, save for the fact that Peterson seems to save most of his vitriol for women rather than people of color.

quote:

I agree with the principle of individual sovereignty and individual rights. Outdated and racially-biased laws such as the war on drugs ought to be abolished. In fact, there are many laws and institutions that disproportionately harm minorities. For these and other reasons, they ought to be rescinded.

I even believe in reparations for slavery, since true justice would require it.

But I'm not so foolish as to assert that someone who opposes reparations is necessarily a bigot. I'm not trying to call people names, I'm trying to have an in-depth discussion where many points-of-view are considered.

I feel like there is a 'but' here. Just the way you describe it feels like the floating 'but' is that you also think things that help by race, such as affirmative action should go the way of the dino. Maybe I'm just overthinking you, though.

That said, I'm sorry if you feel like I'm calling you names. I'm not. I'm attempting to accurately describe your positions and the positions of the people who you defend. I don't view racist as some sort of epithet, I view it as a descriptor. Its like if I were trying to describe a floaty, hollowed out bit of wood that is meant to float on water and carry people. I call a boat a boat, not because I'm trying to shut down conversation, but because it is really hard to have a conversation about a boat when you don't use the word boat. If you do racist things, say racist things or hold racist beliefs, then I have no word to describe you other than racist.

quote:

Is this your mode of debate? Making unwarranted leaps-of-logic to infer the darkest motivations for the views of someone you don't even loving know?

Childish doesn't begin to describe it.

And what of yours? You post a bunch of obvious dog whistle beliefs in order to whine when I point out that, yeah, those are dog whistle beliefs, and the fact that they are the first place your mind goes to when defending your captains of racist is pretty telling.

quote:

Ah, so you concede feminism can go too far and that criticizing that excess doesn't make a person a misogynist.

Sure! Pretty much anything is bad in excess. Masculinity of the sort proposed by Jordan Peterson isn't bad in and of itself, telling young men to get their poo poo together and stand up for themselves isn't wrong. Telling them to do it because they have to do it because they are men and that is their biological reason for existence, and that women are fundamentally inferior in a ton of different ways, on the other hand, is toxic as gently caress.

quote:

Why can you concede this point without considering whether someone like Michael Eric Dyson might go to excess in chalking up more to racism and white privilege than is warranted?

Because I'm capable of reading both sides of the argument and coming to my own decision on which one is correct. I have a functional brain, basically.

quote:

Why can you recognize that a rational person could criticize feminism without also understanding that a rational person could take issue with affirmative action without being a bigot?

If you were doing this from a place of say, posting a thread to discuss affirmative action based on a study, or some other form of relavent argument. Great. When you included it in a list of racist and bigoted dog whistles your intent is obvious. Sorry if I'm repeating myself.

quote:

No, it's not foreign to me and I can certainly "process" the idea. People have an easier or harder life than other people on a wide variety of metrics. And some people are discriminated against more because of their race than others. However, I don't believe that assuming collective privilege to white people as a group or assuming collective victim-hood status to blacks because of their group is the proper way to deal with this self-evident fact.

Your not going to start telling me that I'm not allowed an opinion on certain topics because of my skin color, are you? Nothing racist about that.

Wow. You don't believe in the concept of white-privilege. I'm shocked. loving shocked, I say.

But no, I think you're allowed to have whatever stupid opinions you desire. I certainly can't stop your stupid rear end from doing that. But I can point out that I was able to easily guess your race through a computer screen based pretty much entirely on the total lack of understanding you have on the subject. Like I said, it is a complete and utter shock to me that you, a... I'm guessing mid-thirties white guy from california with middle class parents, doesn't believe in the ongoing systemic oppression of people of color.

A shock. Really.

quote:

Personally, I think to do it because you get off on being an rear end in a top hat. I get it, there is a certain fleeting joy in assuming the un-earned moral high-ground. Certain types of progressives seem to take great pleasure in smearing people as racists.

You do make a fun punching bag.

quote:

But you're wrong. You don't point out to unconvinced third parties that my ideas are wrongheaded by smearing me as a racist. That would require actual arguments that are based on what I've actually said, rather that baseless inferences on what you imagine the secret motivations behind what I say are.

What you're actually trying to do is to convince third parties that I'm a terrible person because of the label you assigned to me. Nobody actually listens to the arguments of a racist, anyway. That is the entire goal is smearing decent people as bigots. It's a tactic designed to deflect attention from the arguments being offered.

You really do think racist is like, the worst thing anyone can call you, don't you? Like honestly, you treat it as though I'm casting a magic spell:

quote:

Invoke Racism

School enchantment [Mind Affecting]; Bard 1, sorcerer/wizard 3

Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S (Pointing)

Range medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Targets up to five creatures, no two of which can be more than 15 ft. apart
Duration 1 round/level (D); see text
Saving Throw none; Spell Resistance yes

DESCRIPTION

The subject becomes publicly paralyzed and freezes in place. It is aware and breathes normally but cannot take any actions, even speech since no one will listen. Each round on its turn, the subject may attempt a new saving throw to end the effect. (This is a full-round action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.)

A winged creature who is accused of racism cannot flap its wings and falls. A swimmer can’t swim and may drown.

The goal of pointing out your obvious racism is to make sure everyone is aware that they are talking to an obvious racist. Not that it is difficult in your case, what with it becoming more obvious by the moment. At best I'm going to go with 'stunningly ignorant'.

quote:

Okay, so Jordan Peterson has been assigned the label "misogynist" by Caros.

That means that Caros is utterly incapable of finding anything worthwhile or helpful in Peterson's lectures, his books or his interviews.

Nah. Hitler gave good speeches.

Seriously. If you ever want to be a good public speaker, you could do worse than reading some of the english translations of hitler speeches, because evil as the motherfucker was, he knew how to work a crowd. Now, on the other hand, I sure as gently caress don't give a drat about his opinion on jews. And that is the Peterson issue. The things he is publicly known for are the things that are problematic about him. I don't see any value in listening to Peterson lecture me on how terrible women are, because my loving problem with him is the way he treats women. You dumb gently caress.

quote:

You are simultaneously saying that you cannot "look past" bigotry and engage bigots in an good-faith exchange of ideas or find value in their other work AND you are saying that 98% of all conservatives and libertarians are bigots.

This means you have literally closed your mind off to all non-Leftist thinking. Do you think this makes you a well-rounded person, intellectually speaking?

If you are an example of a well rounded person, I'll stay where I am, thanks.

quote:

Maybe this is the difference between me and you.

You're a piece of poo poo who constantly defends other pieces of poo poo and seems to have a bunch of affinity for their lovely ways?

quote:

I voraciously read the work of Leftist that I admire. I love Noam Chomsky, Jeremy Scahill and Glenn Greenwald. I like Cornel West and Chris Hedges. I liked Jill Stein enough to vote for her over Gary Johnson.

Still, I abhor the values of socialism and radical egalitarianism. I would consider the teaching of communism, or sympathy toward communism in a public space to be as offensive as speech by a white nationalist.

And that answers my question about feeling the bern from earlier, I suppose.

Nice to see you're such a loving idiot that you conflate socialism and communism as if they are identical. Good to know what I'm working with Neo-Jrod. Hmm, that doesn't roll off the tongue. Nimrod? Like the sentinel!

quote:

But I wouldn't try and shut down their speech. I wouldn't try and defame the character of the speaker by labeling them a bigot, unless the evidence is overwhelming.

It is, and I would. In fact, his speaking tour is coming through my city in the near future and I'm already signed up to protest the motherfucker, because I don't want bigots in my city spreading their bigotry. That is my free speech.

In short:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk&t=120s

Caros
May 14, 2008

RealTalk posted:

I care that you actually don't do any loving research before shooting your mouth off about subjects you know nothing about. But why spend all of five minutes learning the first thing about someone when you could spend that time calling them a racist?

So sour my tongue hurts.

quote:

Jordan Peterson has said repeatedly that he will happily use the preferred pro-noun of a trans person if asked. If not asked, he will use the pro-noun most appropriate given the way the person presents "himself/herself, etc".

Hmm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9TwrXRUa_I

Here he is literally comparing the use of 'made up' gender neutral pronouns to, quote, "The experience at auschwitz". He's making the argument (rambling though it may be) that his experience maybe being 'forced' to say these pro-nouns is equivalent to a guard forced to work at a Nazi death camp.

Just as a bonus aside, I love how he catches himself here. Part of his 'thing' is that he claims to be opposed to 'ideology' in general. Of course, in practice he supports a ton of right wing ideology and is almost universally opposed to left wing ideologies. Funny, that.

quote:

His objection has nothing to do with hating trans people. He is not willing to concede the linguistic territory to (in his words) radical Leftists who use trans people to push an entirely different agenda that he opposes. The legislation in Canada could be seen as constituting compelled speech laws, which have never happened before in the history of English common law.

Sure it isn't.

Also, that is a hilarious misreading of C-16. The part of the bill that he has trouble with, is that it would become illegal under than CHRA to deny a job or discriminate in the workplace based on gender expression or identity. It doesn't mention pronouns, and while those can certainly be inferred, your (his) argument, therefore falls flat, because we have literally hundreds of other examples of similar speech restrictions on the subject of harassment. The CHRA already prevents discrimination based on gender or race, so he might as well be complaining that he can't refer to women as 'sugar tits'. Which, admittedly, is something I can see him arguing.

I've pulled up this summary of C-16 with regards to Peterson's claims. Shockingly, legal experts say he is full of poo poo.

If you'd prefer it in audio form:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OusPT8j3Xik

quote:

Even if you disagree that the legislation constitutes compelled speech, that is Peterson's contention. He thinks legislation like this sets a bad precedent.

Yeah, because he hates transgender folks.

To be clear, I am sure there are dozens, if not hundreds of laws that Peterson thinks would 'impose on his speech' in one way or another. The reason he picked this one, is because he does not like transgender individuals, and wants to still be able to insult them in his place of work. Strip out all the obfuscation, and that is what you are left with. We know this because, as detailed in my last post, we have loads of examples of Peterson's opinions on things such as gender. I'm not going to go through this again, but a glance at his twitter will show you examples of him bashing the very concept of transgender individuals. Which is why he wants to be able to insult them at work.

quote:

To construe his opposition to bill C-16 as being motivated by personal hatred of trans people is so stupid as to defy belief.

It's not like he hasn't answered this question dozens of times in interviews.

What exactly do you think he's going to say? The man is a bigot, not an idiot. He isn't going to come out and be like: "I just hate those hosed up queers so much." because he knows that it will backfire on him, in the same way that most racists use the dogwhistles from your last post rather than just ranting about niggers. The effect is the same. He wants to be able to discriminate in his place of work.

quote:

Is it really such a shock that someone could oppose or support something based on a principle?

If he was doing that, sure.

quote:

The ACLU has repeatedly defended Nazi speech and opposed hate speech laws. Did they do this because they are a white supremacist organization? No, they took these actions because the principle underlying it, freedom of speech, was important.

If the ACLU is not bigoted for supporting free speech, why is Jordan Peterson a bigot for supporting free speech?

You're misrepresenting the ACLU's position.

Also, since you seem to only be responding to me, I have one question.

Have you ever hosed a watermelon? if so, what was your reasoning?

Caros fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 28, 2018

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Caros posted:

Nah. Hitler gave good speeches.

Seriously. If you ever want to be a good public speaker, you could do worse than reading some of the english translations of hitler speeches, because evil as the motherfucker was, he knew how to work a crowd. Now, on the other hand, I sure as gently caress don't give a drat about his opinion on jews. And that is the Peterson issue. The things he is publicly known for are the things that are problematic about him. I don't see any value in listening to Peterson lecture me on how terrible women are, because my loving problem with him is the way he treats women. You dumb gently caress.

Minor note: If you want to learn the tricks of successful demagoguery, you really need to watch films of how Hitler spoke, not just read his words. The ordering of his speeches was deliberate and did contribute, but his stage persona and how he varied the intensity, volume, and emphasis of his words was far more important. To his very core Hitler was a fan of opera and while it wasn't the only influence on his speaking, it was always a persistent element that helped him make repellent (to decent people, at least) ideas more palatable and convincing.

Peterson, by contrast, is not a very good speaker, though I've heard far worse. Part of this isn't his fault, due to his squeaky Kermit voice, but his delivery suffers from a number of other things that some proper stage and voice instructions could help resolve. Fortunately, from what I've read and seen of the man, I can't imagine he'd lower himself to take instruction from anyone else.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

quote:

Aren’t we allowed to make up new stories? Not for political reasons.

- a true defender of free speech.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Minor note: If you want to learn the tricks of successful demagoguery, you really need to watch films of how Hitler spoke, not just read his words. The ordering of his speeches was deliberate and did contribute, but his stage persona and how he varied the intensity, volume, and emphasis of his words was far more important. To his very core Hitler was a fan of opera and while it wasn't the only influence on his speaking, it was always a persistent element that helped him make repellent (to decent people, at least) ideas more palatable and convincing.

Peterson, by contrast, is not a very good speaker, though I've heard far worse. Part of this isn't his fault, due to his squeaky Kermit voice, but his delivery suffers from a number of other things that some proper stage and voice instructions could help resolve. Fortunately, from what I've read and seen of the man, I can't imagine he'd lower himself to take instruction from anyone else.

Yeah, I should have clarified that watching them is important. Twisted as it is, my sister was taking her MBA and had a huge problem with public speaking. I sat her down in front of Hitler for a few minutes and told her 'be like Hitler'. Suffice to say she nailed the project she was working on, and to this day anytime she is at work and nervous, she rambles a few words of nonsense german. Basically just a weird version of 'picture them naked' taught to me by my debate teacher. If it works it works, I suppose.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I love that libertarians defend the most racist, bigoted, evil men they can find in the name of "Freedom" while ignoring how those same men would openly infringe and limit the freedoms of others.

RealTalk, tell us about the melons.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Caros posted:

You're misrepresenting the ACLU's position.

Not really; that's pretty much what their historic approach to free speech has been. If he's misrepresenting anyone, it's Jordan Peterson, because as people have already pointed out, that fucker doesn't actually give a poo poo about anyone's rights but his own.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

Not really; that's pretty much what their historic approach to free speech has been. If he's misrepresenting anyone, it's Jordan Peterson, because as people have already pointed out, that fucker doesn't actually give a poo poo about anyone's rights but his own.

Nah, he did the same thing upthread. He is equating the ACLU's long held position of defending literally anyone speaking in a public place, to the situation faced by Peterson, Coulter and others who are speaking in semi-public forums like universities, which the ACLU has never gone to bat for. It is a distinction worth mentioning.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Caros posted:

Nah, he did the same thing upthread. He is equating the ACLU's long held position of defending literally anyone speaking in a public place, to the situation faced by Peterson, Coulter and others who are speaking in semi-public forums like universities, which the ACLU has never gone to bat for. It is a distinction worth mentioning.

Ah, I have him ignored, so I only see what you quote. I'll still maintain that he's misrepresenting Peterson, though.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

RealTalk posted:

I'm criticizing the value-judgment implicit in protests whose goal is to get a venue to cancel the speaking appearance of someone like Peterson. This indicates that the protesters don't value free speech and free discussion, which to my mind is a worrying trend.

RealTalk posted:

With that said, sports stadiums are private property and the NFL is a business. So the owners have a right to require certain behavior from their employees. This doesn't mean that I agree with their position, but they have the right to stipulate that the players stand.

How do you reconcile the apparent double standard here. Is there a significant difference between protesters who don't value free speech and free discussion trying to curb where someone can speak and NFL team owners who don't value free speech and free discussion trying to curb where someone can speak, because you only describe one as a 'worrying trend' while the other is apparently just responsible exercising their rights? Is this concern for free speech and free discussion only for people who agree with you?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

quote:

I liked Jill Stein enough to vote for her over Gary Johnson.

:wow:

can we get back to rational, evidence based positions like ancient chinese dreamed the structure of dna or whatever the gently caress

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/224723751504326658

jrod if you're going to talk up peterson let me introduce you to the true leading intellectual of our times

https://twitter.com/dril/status/971787472257548288

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
I more or less endorse all the stuff these guys are saying, but let's take some Jordan Peterson quotations and talk about them seperately just to show why he's clearly not a person to be listened to, about anything:

Here's one to start

quote:

There was no equality for women before the birth control pill. It’s completely insane to assume that anything like that could’ve possibly occurred. And the feminists think they produced a revolution in the 1960s that freed women. What freed women was the pill, and we’ll see how that works out. There’s some evidence that women on the pill don’t like masculine men because of changes in hormonal balance. You can test a woman’s preference in men. You can show them pictures of men and change the jaw width, and what you find is that women who aren’t on the pill like wide-jawed men when they’re ovulating, and they like narrow-jawed men when they’re not, and the narrow-jawed men are less aggressive. Well all women on the pill are as if they’re not ovulating, so it’s possible that a lot of the antipathy that exists right now between women and men exists because of the birth control pill. The idea that women were discriminated against across the course of history is appalling.

quote:

There was no equality for women before the birth control pill. It’s completely insane to assume that anything like that could’ve possibly occurred.

There are tribal societies that practice sexual equality. So already wrong on its face.

quote:

Well all women on the pill are as if they’re not ovulating, so it’s possible that a lot of the antipathy that exists right now between women and men exists because of the birth control pill.

This doesn't require serious refutation.

quote:

I don’t think women were discriminated against, I think that’s an appalling argument...The idea that women were discriminated against across the course of history is appalling.

Nor does this. That women have been discriminated against is trivially true. His argument for this is that most people of both genders lived unpleasant and difficult existences until roughly the 1950's. What that ignores is the actual relationship within the family unit between husband and wife, as well as who constituted and controlled the small elite exempt from those conditions.

So what this boils down to is conservative received wisdom dressed up with some word salad.