Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

My One M8's port is giving up the ghost and doesn't want to charge, are there any compelling arguments against getting Samsung'd?

Buy one and you'll likely enjoy it. Just don't ever mention it here unless you want to invite :spergin: mockery. Keep that poo poo on the DL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
so I've been playing with a few SMS apps since jumping from iPhone to S7 a few weeks back. I was enjoying facebook messenger's sms support until realizing I couldn't send photos to sms recipients via facebook messenger from the gallery. I've landed on Google Messenger for now and am enjoying it but I ran into an issue today when I sent a group text to my folks who both have iPhones and my dad replied but I never got the response.

Can anyone tell me if Google Messenger has a known issue with group sms to iOS users? if so is there anything to be done about it short of use a different SMS app?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MMD3 posted:

so I've been playing with a few SMS apps since jumping from iPhone to S7 a few weeks back. I was enjoying facebook messenger's sms support until realizing I couldn't send photos to sms recipients via facebook messenger from the gallery. I've landed on Google Messenger for now and am enjoying it but I ran into an issue today when I sent a group text to my folks who both have iPhones and my dad replied but I never got the response.

Can anyone tell me if Google Messenger has a known issue with group sms to iOS users? if so is there anything to be done about it short of use a different SMS app?

Maybe the same old issue where iMessage keeps sending as if you're still on iOS?@

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Just updated to Nougat, so I don't know if this is an Android issue or a YouTube issue. Ever since the update, if I finish watching a video, go do something else for a while, and come back to YouTube after it has closed from RAM, the video I just watched autoplays.

Before, it would either load the video page as if I had already watched the video (no autoplay, but showing details and comments and giving me a button to watch again) or just load the main YouTube home page.

It seems like it's saving the page I was on and reloading it from scratch if it's been dumped from memory. Super annoying, especially if I'm listening to music or trying to be quiet.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

RVProfootballer posted:

Maybe the same old issue where iMessage keeps sending as if you're still on iOS?@

Any way to remedy this easily?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

MMD3 posted:

Unregister your number from iMessage.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

I wish apple made a usb-c to lightning connector.
They make a cable. You can charge your 12.9" iPad Pro with the 29W MacBook power brick for faster charging. Unless you just mean an adapter thing, in which case, you can just get an Apple USB-C cable which is fully compliant (as of a revision, meaning they will have pulled all non-compliant ones from stores).

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MMD3 posted:

Not sure what the most up to date advice is, but just google "switch to Android iMessage" and you'll get official steps to take and maybe common problems/tips. Here's from Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204270

Might be something else, too, but anytime it's an issue of not receiving texts from an iPhone after switching from iPhone to Android, this is probably it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

They make a cable. You can charge your 12.9" iPad Pro with the 29W MacBook power brick for faster charging. Unless you just mean an adapter thing, in which case, you can just get an Apple USB-C cable which is fully compliant (as of a revision, meaning they will have pulled all non-compliant ones from stores).

Yeah I just meant an adapter since lightning cables are plentiful. I don't have anything that needs usb-c yet, but it's good to know that there is a cable by a reliable company.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

RVProfootballer posted:

Not sure what the most up to date advice is, but just google "switch to Android iMessage" and you'll get official steps to take and maybe common problems/tips. Here's from Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204270

Might be something else, too, but anytime it's an issue of not receiving texts from an iPhone after switching from iPhone to Android, this is probably it.

awesome thanks, I did this.... will see how it works.

a friend was saying with group sms that might not even fix it because if two people are on iOS it can keep triggering to send as iMessage rather than switch over to SMS. He said in the past he's had to delete group conversations and re-start them, uggh.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MMD3 posted:

awesome thanks, I did this.... will see how it works.

a friend was saying with group sms that might not even fix it because if two people are on iOS it can keep triggering to send as iMessage rather than switch over to SMS. He said in the past he's had to delete group conversations and re-start them, uggh.

He's right.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Jesus christ usb-c is a mess

Lmbo no it isn't. It's a super simple to follow spec and companies keep trying to cheap out to save .02$ on build of material costs.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Is it safe to assume the exploding phones were a result of lovely cables?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Lmbo no it isn't. It's a super simple to follow spec and companies keep trying to cheap out to save .02$ on build of material costs.
This is why it's a mess.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

This is why it's a mess.

Yes, but that isn't USB-C's fault.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I am using google messenger and group messages to iPhones seem to work fine (as far as I know).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Yes, but that isn't USB-C's fault.
No one said it was.

Moey posted:

I am using google messenger and group messages to iPhones seem to work fine (as far as I know).
Group messages sent by MMS will work more or less fine, which I'm pretty sure Google Messenger uses. The problem above is that he was in a group iMessage, and that requires them to delete the conversation and restart it as a group MMS.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Edit: double post

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

No one said it was.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Jesus christ usb-c is a mess
:confused:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes. He says USB-C is a mess. Because it is. He doesn't say it's USB-C's fault.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Yes. He says USB-C is a mess. Because it is. He doesn't say it's USB-C's fault.

USB-C isn't a mess though. Cheap/incompetent companies are.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I hope this argument over the exact semantics of what "USB-C is a mess" means goes on and on. It will be super interesting.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

ratbert90 posted:

It's a mess for consumers.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Devonaut posted:

It's a mess for consumers.

This we can all agree on. :smith:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Anker isn't a cheap (as in quality) or incompetent company, yet they still managed to get caught out and need to recall cables.

The cable in question was USB-IF certified, so if nothing else that points to incomplete coverage in the testing regime.

In this case, it looks like if you unplugged the cable from the charger after switching from a high power device, you should be fine. The issue was the resistor in the cable wasn't allowing the voltage to drop far enough to inform the charger that the high power draw notebook disconnected. So, if you connected something else, it wouldn't renegotiate power and provide the same level of power to that new device.

The fact that this got though certification testing is pretty damning. Since power negotiation is a pretty large part of the USB-C spec, they should be covering this use case.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Thermopyle posted:

I hope this argument over the exact semantics of what "USB-C is a mess" means goes on and on. It will be super interesting.

This discussion is a mess.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

USB-C is still the future. In 12 months everything will be fine. Just pay close attention until then. Sucks, but thems the breaks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I look forward to our exploding future.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Speaking of exploding....

http://phandroid.com/2016/09/01/galaxy-note-7-recall/amp/

It's rumored a Note 7 recall will be announced tomorrow.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Will an unlocked Moto G4 work outside the US fine? There is an international version, but the US one seems to have the bands used in Senegal (900, 1800, B1 2100)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

USB-C is still the future. In 12 months everything will be fine. Just pay close attention until then. Sucks, but thems the breaks.

That's what everyone was saying a year ago when the Nexuses came out. This is starting to sound like Linux on the desktop--just twelve months away from all the kinks being worked out, guys!

I'm guessing in 12 months when fly by night Chinese manufacturers start instituting quality control on cables that can burn down your house all the old stock of mismanufactured, untested cables and chargers will magically disappear from everyone's drawer filled with random computer equipment?

Also remember that the charger included with your Nexus 6P doesn't conform to specs and in the future when you're done with that device that the next device you plug into it might be destroyed. Oh well, live and learn!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

bull3964 posted:

IF this is true I wonder if they will even re-release the Note 7. I mean obviously they will release a similar spec'd device but it's kind of hard to manage that many consumer devices floating around that appear identical to explody ones. Wouldn't be surprised to see them wait a few months and release a revised Note 7S.

The financial hit is going to be astronomical. That is if they recall all of them which seems unbelievable.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Three Olives posted:

IF this is true I wonder if they will even re-release the Note 7. I mean obviously they will release a similar spec'd device but it's kind of hard to manage that many consumer devices floating around that appear identical to explody ones. Wouldn't be surprised to see them wait a few months and release a revised Note 7S.

The financial hit is going to be astronomical. That is if they recall all of them which seems unbelievable.

It's likely that only a small fraction of units are actually defective. But the perception will be that Note 7 = exploding battery!1111oneone so people will be hesitant to buy this $900 phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

You're really going full idiot sperg over this. I never blamed anyone. I said the USB-C, as a general situation, is a mess, which it absolutely is, due to factors like the ones you said.

bull3964 posted:

quote:

UPDATE: Samsung SDI, Samsung Mobile’s sister company and battery supplier for the Note 7, has said there is no indication that the batteries in the Galaxy Note 7 are faulty.

....so if it's not the battery, the charging mechanism maybe?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

That's what everyone was saying a year ago when the Nexuses came out. This is starting to sound like Linux on the desktop--just twelve months away from all the kinks being worked out, guys!

I'm guessing in 12 months when fly by night Chinese manufacturers start instituting quality control on cables that can burn down your house all the old stock of mismanufactured, untested cables and chargers will magically disappear from everyone's drawer filled with random computer equipment?

Also remember that the charger included with your Nexus 6P doesn't conform to specs and in the future when you're done with that device that the next device you plug into it might be destroyed. Oh well, live and learn!

I'm not saying literally 12 months...how would anyone know the actual time period involved? I'm saying that at some point in the middle-term future you will be able to buy USB-C stuff and not worry about poo poo just like you can with regular USB cables now.

There is no doubt that USB will not always be the shitshow it is now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not saying literally 12 months...how would anyone know the actual time period involved? I'm saying that at some point in the middle-term future you will be able to buy USB-C stuff and not worry about poo poo just like you can with regular USB cables now.

There is no doubt that USB will not always be the shitshow it is now.

My contention is the opposite, that it will always be somewhat of a shitshow because you'll never be able to ensure quality and spec-compliance on commodity cables and chargers of unknown provenance and that's baked into the spec. Unlike "regular" USB cables, there is a non-trivial risk of explosion when you grab a charger at a gas station on a road trip or out of a box of cables you've accumulated over the years or when you borrow someone's charger at work.

You seem to be saying that the mistakes in the cables and chargers we're seeing today are due to reputable manufacturers trying to follow the spec and failing and that's true to an extent. But if you look at the people actually testing these things, you'll see that the majority are manufacturers that made no attempt to follow the spec at all. Omitting the (coincidentally expensive, huh) resistor that allows the cable to negotiate the voltage is a common one. And since you have to destroy the cable to know if it's bad, these bad actors will continue to manufacture them this way.

My point is that there are plenty of lovely USB cables now, they just lack the ability to kill your family. You'll never get rid of the lovely equipment, it will always be manufactured and it will never be trustworthy. The difference is that with the way the USB-C spec works with regards to power delivery, that untrustworthy equipment is a lot more dangerous.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2016/09/01/0200000000AEN20160901010900320.html

quote:

The Samsung official told Yonhap News Agency that the cause of the reported explosions has been traced to the battery of the new phablet.

He said Samsung is expected to announce the result of its investigation into the cause of the reported explosions, as well as comprehensive countermeasures either this weekend or early next week at the latest.

"Products installed with the problematic battery account for less than 0.1 percent of the entire volume sold. The problem can be simply resolved by changing the battery, but we'll come up with convincing measures for our consumers," said the official.

:stare:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I bought a bunch of Aukey USB-C cables, an Aukey Quick Charge 3.0 car charger, and an Anker Quick Charge 3.0 wall charger without checking any specs. Now I plug my 6P in all willy-nilly because my life insurance policy won't pay my family a single red cent if I kill myself. Sure would hate to have an "accident"

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

My contention is the opposite, that it will always be somewhat of a shitshow because you'll never be able to ensure quality and spec-compliance on commodity cables and chargers of unknown provenance and that's baked into the spec. Unlike "regular" USB cables, there is a non-trivial risk of explosion when you grab a charger at a gas station on a road trip or out of a box of cables you've accumulated over the years or when you borrow someone's charger at work.

You seem to be saying that the mistakes in the cables and chargers we're seeing today are due to reputable manufacturers trying to follow the spec and failing and that's true to an extent. But if you look at the people actually testing these things, you'll see that the majority are manufacturers that made no attempt to follow the spec at all. Omitting the (coincidentally expensive, huh) resistor that allows the cable to negotiate the voltage is a common one. And since you have to destroy the cable to know if it's bad, these bad actors will continue to manufacture them this way.

My point is that there are plenty of lovely USB cables now, they just lack the ability to kill your family. You'll never get rid of the lovely equipment, it will always be manufactured and it will never be trustworthy. The difference is that with the way the USB-C spec works with regards to power delivery, that untrustworthy equipment is a lot more dangerous.

No, I get what you're saying, I'm just saying I give it greater than even odds that it will end up not being a problem in practice. A combination of some selection of certification, market selection, spec updates, retailer vigilance, etc, will make the problem a non issue.

A while back there were companies from China making led bulbs for your light fixtures in a horribly unsafe way. You could buy their products all over the internet. Everyone realized the problem and the manufacturers mostly stopped making them that way because the reviews started going sour and retailers stopped carrying them.

You can still buy them in bulk on alibaba, though.

edit: "by" is not "buy"

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mr. Powers posted:

This discussion is a mess.

Actually there's nothing wrong with the discussion, it's the discussion makers that are cheaping out on clarity and purposely misreading