Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Rappaport posted:

Saruman, your plans will end poorly for you :ohno:

I am the first of the Istari and ruled the White Council. I left the Shire better than I found it! Anything else is FAKE NEWS. Who can deny me that delicious Ent oil? None of you mortals! Did you really believe that the Ent women just... went away? They had more oil. Simple as that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Desert Bus posted:

I think if we cut down all the trees and use big machines to grind them to dust and use other machines to force out the oil... ?

Im pretty sure this is just the plot to the Lorax

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Im pretty sure this is just the plot to the Lorax

The Lorax doesn't need to speak for the trees when they're already screaming

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Desert Bus posted:

Can we make plastic from tree oils instead of having to use old gross underground oil?

You can not use crude oil but it's usually not cost effective.
You can use castor oil as a feed stock to make polyuethane, PLA is made from corn, styrene the precursor to polystyrene was fist extracted from the resin of the liquidambar orientalis tree, gutta percha is a thermoplastic you can extract straight from a tree like natural rubber, cellophane is made from cellulose and Galalith is a plastic made from milk.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

these two dapper nerds from a 1977 byte magazine couldn't imagine a world which wasn't mostly made of endangered hardwoods, they are also kind of looking like they want to start some poo poo and since it's 1977 one of them has nunchucks, also made of hardwood

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

coldpudding posted:

You can not use crude oil but it's usually not cost effective.
You can use castor oil as a feed stock to make polyuethane, PLA is made from corn, styrene the precursor to polystyrene was fist extracted from the resin of the liquidambar orientalis tree, gutta percha is a thermoplastic you can extract straight from a tree like natural rubber, cellophane is made from cellulose and Galalith is a plastic made from milk.

What do you need plastic for anyway?
You can make billard balls from ivory. And what else is there to make?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Some people have all the luck, drat :dogstare:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vintagecomputing/comments/15cg4i0/found_an_altair_8800_on_the_curb_today/

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

when i was a dirtbag teenager cleaning out my dead ham-radio grandpa's house i threw out an altair 8800 because i couldn't figure out how to make it do anything ;_;

this was the early 1990s sometime and i snapped up his apple IIes and commodores and kaypros and so many loving radios, but i dumpstered so much old computer gear just because it didn't play GAMES. and don't tell humphreys but my dad also threw out my grandpas huge collection of laserdisc/LD players and that pre-laserdisc system that was like a giant hard-drive platter inside a plastic case

what's the market like for working apples or kaypros anyways? and i guess vic-20s/c64s/128s, i've got all this gear sitting in sheds and my dad's basement but fiddling with it is just like reading any computer magazines made past 1983, i am hit with this feeling of overwhelming melancholy that feel psychically dangerous

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah I absolutely tossed out some old man's undoubtedly hugely valuable collection of late 1970s/early 1980s electronics when given it as a kid because all I knew was there ain't no games fer it so t'ain't worth nothin'

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I had a big ol collection of 80’s and 90’s hardware collected from working in an it department since I was 15 years old as well as curb picks from back in the day when people could and would just put a computer on the curb.

When I moved out of my parents house into an apartment, I couldn’t save them all, so back on the curb they went.

I did save the Mac SE/30 and Toshiba T3200 because they had sentimental value, but that’s it.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

One of my neighbors somehow had dozens of IBM 5150s in his trash and I took no note of it at the time because it was like 1996.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yeah I absolutely tossed out some old man's undoubtedly hugely valuable collection of late 1970s/early 1980s electronics when given it as a kid because all I knew was there ain't no games fer it so t'ain't worth nothin'

you were right

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Yeah, holding onto old computer trash because it might be worth something someday is not the sign of a well-adjusted person, recycle that poo poo or gift it to someone who appreciates it for what it is and puts it to use. Don't burden your family with the chore of having to go through a hoard of random electronics loot when you kick the bucket just in case one of those grey boxes might be worth a few hundred bucks.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

there should be a law requiring you to specify a Next of Computer in your will

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

barbecue at the folks posted:

Yeah, holding onto old computer trash because it might be worth something someday is not the sign of a well-adjusted person, recycle that poo poo or gift it to someone who appreciates it for what it is and puts it to use. Don't burden your family with the chore of having to go through a hoard of random electronics loot when you kick the bucket just in case one of those grey boxes might be worth a few hundred bucks.

Literally literally nothing normal people do in modern society is a sign of a well-adjusted human being.

Unless you mean well-adjusted to modern society, I guess.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
hold onto all your poo poo because someone other than you will inevitably want to give you a month's rent for it

I say, looking at refurbished full PC/XT systems what would cost me a month's rent

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Apart from actual art, about 100% of the stuff in museums is stuff that's only rare because a billion goons thought it was unhealthy to keep old things.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Apart from actual art, about 100% of the stuff in museums is stuff that's only rare because a billion goons thought it was unhealthy to keep old things.

if the museum is in little old deadsville town, stuff can also be in there because that's where their dad works, and i've got to see how desperate him and the other volunteers can get for anything, anything that's not about coal that they can put on display to lure tourists inside and trick them into accidentally learning about coal, coal extraction, coal-powered electricity generation, just coal stuff, through nostalgic enticements and trickery

so my dad was always rummaging around the house looking for something worthy of display that people would look at and say "oh i had one of those Battle Beasts when i was a kid let me tell you about their hologram and the attached lore" and drone on about it and the family would wander off and learn about coal or more likely play on my old NES i set up with duck-hunt, because kids love guns, and then ideally after everyone has enjoyed the museum experience they buy a couple of magnets or pins or bumper stickers because the museum depends on that money for a lot of things

museums, it's all about who you know

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Dip Viscous posted:

One of my neighbors somehow had dozens of IBM 5150s in his trash and I took no note of it at the time because it was like 1996.

There used to be a big pinball and arcade game expo here that got permanently canceled moving forward - it could only exist in that space of time when those old arcade machines went from being boat anchors anyone could grab off a curb to being hoarded collectors items. The machines they used to bring in were being bought up by private collectors and they could no longer continue to fill the event space with machines. Pretty sad.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVgK5NfVMP0

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Managed to find a NOS baby AT case for £20+delivery. Pretty ugly but hey it's new. My K6-2+ Super 7 board can live in there as there's no turbo butto and no need for one.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lmao at the noive.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

c0burn posted:

Managed to find a NOS baby AT case for £20+delivery. Pretty ugly but hey it's new. My K6-2+ Super 7 board can live in there as there's no turbo butto and no need for one.

I'll fucing fight you.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

By popular demand posted:

I'll fucing fight you.

There's a turbo header but it's all lies!! It's just for lighting an led but doesn't DO anything

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I still miss the cases with the sus CPU speed display next to the turbo button.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I still miss the cases with the sus CPU speed display next to the turbo button.

It should be pretty easy to add one of them new-fangled tiny computer thingamabobs in there to just display arbitrary things on it, no?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Need more games that run at super fast speeds as a joke

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It should be pretty easy to add one of them new-fangled tiny computer thingamabobs in there to just display arbitrary things on it, no?

It's wouldn't the samnmmme!
:qq:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's wouldn't the samnmmme!
:qq:

Wouldn't it? If you can display arbitrary things on it, you can also just keep it displaying "66" and "33" or whatever it was.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

You gotta put an old-fangled thingamabob in there if you want it to look genuine.

https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/4001251092762.html

I suppose 7-segment would be even more authentic but 14-segment makes it easier to have it display random four letter swears.
I think the hardest part would be to make it look nice with a dark plastic lens in front of the numbers.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

r u ready to WALK posted:

You gotta put an old-fangled thingamabob in there if you want it to look genuine.

https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/4001251092762.html

I suppose 7-segment would be even more authentic but 14-segment makes it easier to have it display random four letter swears.
I think the hardest part would be to make it look nice with a dark plastic lens in front of the numbers.

You can buy dark plastic from the plastic store.

e: I wonder which thread it was where someone was working on some sort of project and was having a hard time finding the right sort of plastic and I recommended they go to a plastic store and they were thankful because they hadn't realized such things exist.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

specifically the dark plastic store, easy mistake to make

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You can buy dark plastic from the plastic store.

We have dark plastic at home!

*dry erase scribbles on stretch film*

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Someone make a 14 led display that in addition to displaying bs CPU speeds just randomly blink "gently caress" every once in a while and you got my money.

E: the ultimate gaming accessory.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Someone make a 14 led display that in addition to displaying bs CPU speeds just randomly blink "gently caress" every once in a while and you got my money.

E: the ultimate gaming accessory.

I can do you a time to gently caress watch

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Kids in the 50s would meet up at the drive-in to show off their cars to each other

In our day we would visit the other dorm rooms to see the kid with the "90" on his CPU speed display on the huge tower under his desk. Huddling in the door whispering to each other in awe

One dude had a BeBox :2bong:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I just remembered my home server still has the little LED display

Two decades ago it used to be a :krad: dual 866mhz BeOS machine, but I never tried fiddling with the numbers after that

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

now that is the poo poo!

though I'm curious as to why you need a full size server for a residence.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

now that is the poo poo!

though I'm curious as to why you need a full size server for a residence.

Linux isos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

1 server is positively underwhelming compared to some homelab freaks setups