Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

In the book, Wil Wheaton is president and Corey Doctorow is VP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Inkspot posted:

Removing all the pop culture references might be a fun writing exercise.

I agree that RPO could be vastly improved by deleting 95% of it, but why stop there?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Give me the Hemingway version of RPO

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
For sale. Author’s nostalgic wet dream. Never scored.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mister Gotcha is probs the best webcomic released this decade

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

hiddenriverninja posted:

hmm the audiobook version is narrated by Wesley Crusher.

Welp. Now I gotta listen

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SlimGoodbody posted:

Give me the Hemingway version of RPO

You mean a version that would drive one to the bottle? Think we already got it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Welp. Now I gotta listen

Pull up OKS, pull up!

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Kai Tave posted:

Pull up OKS, pull up!

I listen to audiobooks at work so I am basically a bottomless well of lovely audiobooks.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

There's no way the main character in RPO can be the only one with a DeLorean. I refuse to believe thousands of people around the world wouldn't no-life that poo poo just to have it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

hiddenriverninja posted:

There's no way the main character in RPO can be the only one with a DeLorean. I refuse to believe thousands of people around the world wouldn't no-life that poo poo just to have it.

But why have a DeLorean when you can have the Batmobile, or Thomas the Tank Engine, or any of the loving megazords?

Here's another way of looking at RPO - Did you watch the Scott Pilgrim movie? Remember certain reality breaking video game things that happened in that story? Those are here, but the plot lacks any originality or heart or organic flow. I will not spoil things for anyone genuinely interested in reading or seeing the movie but to give you an idea - Our "hero" walks into some random abandoned corner of the virtual world and performs some geek cred activity that no one outside the character and reader see, and this results in the omega checkov's gun.

Someone above mentioned that the story is pandering, and that's true, but I think that's sugar coating it. It's pandering to the point of being insulting. It's like those scripts written by a neural network, or really bad mad libs. "I start every day in the burned out remains of [American City] where my life sucks due to [Depressing Situation] caused by [Evil Entity]. My only escape is [Magical Thing], where I can [Pop Culture Reference] and [Pop Culture Reference], or [Pop Culture Reference] with [Pop Culture Reference] while I [Pop Culture Reference]. And now it turns out that there is a contest to win full ownership of [Magical Thing], but [Evil Entity] wants it too. I can only hope that my slavish devotion to [Pop Culture Reference], [Pop Culture Reference], [Product Placement] and being the best at [Pop Culture Reference] will be enough to [Obvious Ending]"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Reading more about RPO makes me actually start hating the nerdy stuff I usually like. Which is bad, because I know that fans =/= content, but still.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Honestly, there are good ideas there, that an experienced writer could've properly used. At the very end of the book the MC meets a hologram of the OASIS creator who left a message for whoever won the Easter Egg hunt. He talks about how his life was fruitless and that he doesn't wish that people become enslaved by their obsessions like he did, and offers the protagonist a Killswitch for the entire game. Which would be a great thing to happen in the middle of the book, with Parzival realizing he wasted his life memorizing sacred trivia from a man that, in the end, regretted everything. Had he deleted the game and then the story proceeds to show what he did with whatever how many billions he won and what the OASIS-less world turned out like, it would be a much more interesting take, but alas.

Also funny, cause I remember reading Daemon around the same time and that book is basically the complete opposite, unabashedly displaying how technology can enslave and make us it's pawns. It was one hell of a whiplash. Too bad the sequel never got published here.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The inevitable Funko POPs for RPO are going to be hilariously impressive ouroboroses of terrible “nerd culture”

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

hiddenriverninja posted:

The loving guy who wrote it has a DeLorean, with the Ghostbusters logo on it.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

while i dont doubt that all the examples given are genuine, they would simultaneously be the best satire generated for a book like this

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

poly and open-minded posted:

while i dont doubt that all the examples given are genuine, they would simultaneously be the best satire generated for a book like this

Satire is dead. You can't write a parody of RPO that's distinguishable from the actual work you're parodying, at most you'll simply get people telling you how derivative it is.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lurdiak posted:

The loving guy who wrote it has a DeLorean, with the Ghostbusters logo on it.

I read a fanfiction of this once that was probably better than RPO. It was by Summer broad. Due to time travel mishap Egon never became a Ghostbuster and they had used different technology to hunt ghosts and Gozers arrival was delayed by years. Emmett Brown recalled taking to him at a physics conference years before he would have become a Ghostbuster and knew he has technology that could stop Gozer. So they had to convince him ghosts were real and get him to invent proton packs.

Then they fought Gozer from the flying train.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

hiddenriverninja posted:

In the book he's presented as being super unique special snowflake for knowing all this poo poo. Like literally the entire mcguffin of the story is formed around Perzival's personal knowlage.

BTW, the core story, everyone jacks into an online world becuase it sucks but there's a secret inside of it is a fine story, and it could work with the 80s references if it was written competently. It's pointlessly set in a dystopian world. Why not go the opposite, it's a utopian world were everyone has everything they need, but they're bored so they jack into a world where they can pretend they're in ww2 or a viking or in fighting a space war or whatever. It's far in the future so 20 century pop culture is pretty much just the realm of weirdos and the main character is shown to be a weirdo shut in because of this, but inside the VR world, he notices these references to centuries old tv and music, and follows the clues and discovers that, i dunno, humanity is being controlled by the big evil corporation that makes the game.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

muscles like this! posted:

The book is crazy like that, the world is this insane shithole and the main character/author really don't seem to care about it. There's a plot point later in the book where the main character goes into hiding by buying a new identity, loading it up with credit card debt and waiting until he is arrested and then sold into literal slavery to pay off the debt (this was all part of a plan to infiltrate the evil bad guy company.) The outside world is like this but the main character only cares about his fake virtual world where he can play dress up with nerd toys.

There’s also a part where the protagonist is taking a bus from one city to another and it’s just mentioned in an offhanded way that the bus has armed guards because warlords control the areas between major cities in this dystopian future America.

I couldn’t believe it just skimmed over that. What was actually happening in real life seemed way more interesting than videogame land.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

The book is un-self-awarely the equivalent of a basement dwelling neckbeard watching anime and screaming for tendies, oblivious to the nazis marching in the street above and incapable of understanding what that would mean for the world around him even if he wasn't oblivious.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jagermonster posted:

There’s also a part where the protagonist is taking a bus from one city to another and it’s just mentioned in an offhanded way that the bus has armed guards because warlords control the areas between major cities in this dystopian future America.

I couldn’t believe it just skimmed over that. What was actually happening in real life seemed way more interesting than videogame land.

It felt to me that all the dystopian stuff was window dressing, Cline thought "All the best stuff is in dystopian worlds, so mine will!" without actually understanding why these are good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Consumerism will save us from the dystopia.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Consumerism will save us literally just a couple of contest-winning nerds from the dystopia while everyone else in the world languishes in the abject misery described along the periphery of this book, and this will be portrayed as an uplifting victory and worthy of cheer.

ftfy

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Jagermonster posted:

Literally nothing is more interesting than video games and pop-culture references. You imbecile. You loving moron.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

Literally nothing is more interesting than video games and pop-culture references. You imbecile. You loving moron.

I really want someone to make this your red text

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

I really want someone to make this your red text
Merry Christmas.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
You couldn't have sprung for a picture of a DeLorean with the Ghostbusters logo and Knight Rider lights?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Kai Tave posted:

Satire is dead. You can't write a parody of RPO that's distinguishable from the actual work you're parodying, at most you'll simply get people telling you how derivative it is.

Some sections reminded me of American Psycho.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

You couldn't have sprung for a picture of a DeLorean with the Ghostbusters logo and Knight Rider lights?

You'll have to settle for the dog turd picture i found and edited in ms paint.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

This thread rules, I love you all

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/MKupperman/status/945745965755129856

https://twitter.com/MKupperman/status/945748575622975488

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I know this guy's being a prat, but what's this even supposed to mean?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He's making a commentary on the state of Hollywood and DC movies and how incredibly low the bar was for Wonder Woman.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Well, he's right. Wonder Woman was structured like a Marvel Movie, only it wasn't so pathologically afraid of being sincere so it didn't undercut its tension with dumb quips a la Strange, Guardians two or Thor 3. That alone puts it above most of the competition.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ugh

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Jesus Christ

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Not to sound pretentious but why are you talking about a tweet with 4 likes?

mycot fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 27, 2017

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Because we can't have nice things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I don't know who MKupperman is. Is he a figure of some kind?

• Locked thread